Week 14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
beLIEve said:
I thought Mercy was part of the complete U2. I didn't know so few people had heard it...now I feel priveleged, as I even have the "cleaned up" version with no hiss. Anyway, I agree then that Mercy must be saved for the next album, especially after reading the interview with Steve Willyhite about the songs already in "storage" waiting for another album.

Bono did call Mercy the "best B-side you will ever hear" several months ago, and they do have this 25th anniversary thing coming up...but Sometimes for N.A. is just a promo CD for now, but with one b-side listed, maybe it will be made available for download.

Any chance of e-mailing as an MP3 file ?

Mike

mikepday@tiscali.co.uk

beLIEve said:
Sometimes is released for radio play in the U.S. tomorrow, "officially", although it's already in heavy rotation on some formats and charting. No video here yet. Here's Billboard's "pick of the week":

This Week's Billboard

Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own
U2
Producer(s): Chris Thomas, Steve Lillywhite, Nellee Hooper
Writer(s): U2
Publisher(s): Universal Music Publishing; Blue Mountain Music; Mother Music
Genre: ROCK
Label/Catalog Number: Interscope 11362 (CD promo)
Source: Billboard Magazine
Originally Reviewed: March 05, 2005

Fresh from its Grammy Awards performance of "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own" (not to mention three wins), U2 releases the tender ballad as the third single from its global smash "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb." The cut is already off to a fast start at adult top 40 and modern AC, and certainly modern rock can't be far behind. The song's chorus, sung in Bono's familiar falsetto, is a knockout: "And it's you when I look in the mirror/And it's you when I don't pick up the phone/Sometimes you can't make it on your own." The singer penned the emotional track for his late father, though the sentiment of the cut should hit home with just about anyone with a heart. While it's a no-brainer that rock stations will play this, we hope mainstream top 40 will also come onboard.—KC

so thats the 1st of march (today), its being released officially for radio, in the U.S.

Yeah, last week's Billboard Magazine is the March 5 edition, which is the date on the current BB charts, too. Don't know why.

Portugal: climbs 2 positions to #12

Chart: 1-1-1-1-3-4-5-9-13-13-13-13-14-12

Vertigo Run: 1-1-2-5-9-13-16-20-19-12-14-10-14-18

SYCMIOYO Run: 3

Sales: Aprox. 70.000

Hello,

Although it has been reported earlier, here is the roundup of this week's Dutch charts. Bla bla, yadda yadda compiled by the Mega Charts (http://www.megacharts.nl), with the single sales only chart being published by Top 40 Web (http://www.top40web.nl).
After another 2 week stint at the top, just like its first two weeks, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb has to leave the #1 position again, dropping to #3. The #1 album is a new entry by the Dutch rock group Di-Rect, which -rumour has it- sold about 10,000 copies last week. Since CD sales dropped significantly a few years ago, 40,000 shipped copies will earn you a gold record here in the Netherlands, so their sales last week are comparable to around 125,000 copies in the U.S.A. The #2 album sold 31% less (probably around 7000 copies in total). With U2 at #3 this would mean possible sales of 6,000 - 6,500 copies last week. Nothing is certain though, but this should be a nice estimate of weekly sales in the Netherlands.
Here is the chart run for How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (27-11-2004)
1-1-2-3-4-4-5-6-7-8
6-1-1-3

Like the previous single Vertigo it seems as if Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own couldn't follow up their #2 position with a stay at the top of the charts. This week the single drops to #3 on the charts. It stays #5 on the sales-only chart. In any case, U2 only have two #1 singles on the Dutch chart with Beautiful Day and Elevation. So it isn't unusual for them not to reach the top of the charts. :| Small consolidation, the single is still in front of J-Lo as her Get Right stays at #4.
The chart run of Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own on the Mega Top 50 (12-2-2005):
36-2-3

The chart run on the sales-only chart (19-2-2005)
5-5

The #1 single is still the Carnival novelty single called Das Kleine Krokodil by the act Schnappi (yes, it is a German single). Trust me, you don't want to hear it. :tsk: The #1 album is All Systems Go by the (young) Dutch rock group Di-Rect.

C ya!

Marty

Italy:

HTDAAB #8
Vertigo #21
Sometimes #2

HTDAAB (14th week) 1-1-4-5-5-5-3-3-4-8-6-10-9-8
Vertigo (sales 16th week) 1-1-1-1-6-6-7-6-2-7-8-17-11-11-17-21
Sometimes (sales 1st week) 2

Billboard Week 14

BB week 14

HTDAAB - drops to 41 from 20 on BB Top 200 Album Sales Chart
-remains at #6 on Internet Album Sales Chart
Best of 1980-1990 drops from 30 to 42 on Pop Catalog Chart

Vertigo drops from 25 to 34 on Top downloaded singles
Vertigo #38 on Modern Rock Tracks, ABOY # 35
Vertigo # 23 on Adult Top 40
SYCMIOYO #24 with a bullet on Adult Top 40
Vertigo is #34 on Mainstream Rock Tracks, ABOY at #22

That's it - there definitely seems to be a lull w/o SYCMIOYO video

Initially I was surprised when I saw that HTDAAB dropped so precipitously. And I wondered why U2 dropped so much post-Grammies while Green Day, Eminem and even Kelly Clarkson all stayed strong in the Top 10.

Then I looked at the Hot 100. Green Day has the #2 song in the country - which is also #1 on the Rock charts. Kelly Clarkson has two songs in the top 15!! :ohmy: And Eminem's latest is at #13.

While touring will keep an album going many times - and I think this helped most of U2's albums except "Pop" - it's usually around 20,000 copies a week (maybe lower in 2005 thanks to legal and illegal downloads). However, what keeps an album in the Top 20 is a hit song.

I thought ABoY would have been a better hit than it was. Shame it failed (although I'm sure it'll do fine in Europe as it did well in Canada). As such, I'm glad "Sometimes..." is now coming out. This song may not dominate the Rock charts, but it should do well on the Adult charts. That could be enough to push the song close to the Top 20 on the Hot 100 - and in turn, give the album a much needed and, more importantly, sustained boost.

I just hope U2's marketing team really pushes this song in the U.S. I felt ABoY was virtually abandoned. The song was released and that was that. No iTunes push, no TV performances of this song, no push on radio or extensive ads on TV. Fortunately, "Sometimes..." has received TV airplay. If U2 and their marketing team can keep pushing this song, it should do well. It may not attract a lot of the young generation - but then "Vertigo" already did that. "Sometimes..." could hit fans that normally don't buy albums any more.

Regardless, if U2 fail to have a hit with "Sometimes..." I think that's about it for HTDAAB (unless an unexpected hit comes along).

I would be shocked to see U2 make any kind of a rise on the US charts with a hit song but if there is any song on this album that could possibly do it, it has to be Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own.

*crossing my fingers for a miracle*

The tour will only serve to stablize the record between 60-80 for awhile but they need something more then the tour to make people realize yes U2 still makes great music.

does it really matter now? i mean the charts are in such a state, U2 already has a massive loyal fanbase, so we already know U2 are still making great music, U2 know they are still making great music, so the people that matter know they are still making great music :), plus it only seems to be the U.S. where there has been a dramatic fall in position, U.K. album is holding its own and getting very positive reviews

It doesnt matter to me but I dont want to be the one that has to listen to 2 years of people talking about how the album flopped in the US again, when it actually has performed well for the actual fanbase that is there. U2 have a hardcore fanbase that will always follow them and make sure an album never flops but in America there is a limit of about 4 million shipped at the most these days, the rest of the world is not what concerns me because they seem to have a more open mind towards U2s music.

I will support U2 to the end but I am not in the US but I am sure many American fans will as well, I am just stating that the likelyhood of a hit isnt very likely. Anything they sell there from now on really is a bonus to add on to the world total.

Lets remember this is week 14! Yes, it is a big surprise to see the album slide this far all of a sudden, but there is a whole year of promotional opportunities awaiting this album. If Radio will not play the songs enough to get them in the top 30, then there are other things the band can do to try and get sales moving in the USA.

We have to remember that the most this album could really do this year, given the music climate where there is so much downloading and burning of music for free, is 4 million copies in the USA. The band is already at the 2.5 million mark after only 14 weeks!

I hope "Sometimes" will do well, but I think the song that has the best shot at getting the best airplay a U2 song has received in over a decade is "Miracle Drug". I could see this song being an across the board airplay smash on nearly every format. Its not to heavy and its not to light either, and its simply one of the greatest songs U2 has ever done. Its under 4 minutes in length and while not a rocker like Vertigo, it has a tempo that may be more appealing than "Sometimes".

Yahweh said:
I would be shocked to see U2 make any kind of a rise on the US charts with a hit song but if there is any song on this album that could possibly do it, it has to be Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own.

*crossing my fingers for a miracle*

The tour will only serve to stablize the record between 60-80 for awhile but they need something more then the tour to make people realize yes U2 still makes great music.

I can guarantee you that if "Sometimes..." becomes a hit song on the Hot 100, the album will benefit. ATYCLB was dropping on the charts in 2001. "Beautiful Day" had a slow rise on the charts and then lingered for a long time, which kept ATYCLB going for a while. But by summer, that song was done and sadly, "Elevation" performed about as well as ABoY did in the U.S., despite being associated with a blockbuster (albeit, a poor movie, but a hit nonetheless). So ATYCLB was dropping on the charts.

Then along came "Stuck in a Moment" which peaked in the 50's on the Hot 100. That song may not have cracked the Top 40, but it was a big enough hit to give ATYCLB a substantial boost on the charts. ATYCLB had dropped all the way down to #108 on the Billboard Top 200, but thanks to "Stuck..." it rose all the way back to #58. That was enough to give it some sustained life. ATYCLB continued to bounce around from that point, dipping as low as #74 and rising as high as #39 before the Super Bowl and 2002 Grammy performance and wins bounced it all the way back into the Top 10!

Another example is from Green Day. The album had dropped on the charts and was on its way down. "American Idiot", the song, had run its course. However, "Boulevard..." came out and now the album is a monstrous hit thanks to the wild success of that song!

So if U2 can break through with "Sometimes..." - and that's a BIG "if" at this point - HTDAAB will definitely see new life on the album charts. The tour will keep it steady, but won't give it a boost. TV appearances and hit singles do that.

KUEFC09U2 said:
:( i would hate it to be classed as a flop

If *anyone* calls this album a flop, punch them... hard! ;)

Seriously, the album is 3x Platinum in the U.S.! Not one American Idol winner or performer has hit that level of sales in the U.S. despite massive exposure. And the album has shipped 8.5M copies worldwide. Paul McGuinness usually deems 10M worldwide a big hit - so HTDAAB is almost there.

As Sting2 pointed out, it is just Week 14. There's loads of time for more singles. "Stuck in a Moment..." didn't become a hit for U2 until late in 2001, after ATYCLB had already dropped out of the Top 100! Despite falling out of the Top 100, it rebounded all the way back to the Top 10! :ohmy: So I'm not giving up hope yet. That said, I do think that if "Sometimes..." fails, HTDAAB will suffer. That'll make two singles that failed to crack the Hot 100 and I doubt radio will give U2 another chance from this album.

SPAIN

Chart: 1-5-5-5-5-6-6-9-9-9-10-9-12-15

Sales: 200,000, YES, the album has been certified as DOUBLE PLATINUM! (unit shippments)

Vertigo Run: 1-1-1-4-1-2-3-3-4-1-2-4-3-3-8-6

Sometimes Run: 1-2

Incredible results here in Spain! Two singles in Top6 and the album in Top15!

Vox

Well, www.mediatraffic.de has already updated the WORLD CHART even though its not Friday yet.

U2 falls from #5 to #9. But it looks like their sales outside the United States are increasing!

An album sales figure was not given for BOMB this week at #9, but sales figures were given for:

Tori Amos - The Beekeeper #8 : 141,000 copies sold in its first week.

Yuki - Joy #12 : 136,000 copies sold in its first week.

So BOMB sold at least 137,000 to 140,000 copies this week Worldwide!

Last week, BOMB's sales OUTSIDE the USA were 105,000!

This week, BOMB's sales OUTSIDE the USA are nearly 115,000! Thats nearly a 10% increase with no awards show outside the USA impacting sales!

"BOMB" has shipped 8,500,000 copies to retailers worldwide!

"BOMB" has now sold over 6,840,000 copies to consumers worldwide!

Awesome news Americans can always count on the ROW to make sure the album sales are there while they sit back and enjoy the live concerts.

I really hope the Hall of fame thing has the desired effect in the US though....I root for U2 on the sales chart especially in America because it is so damn hard for them to break that market for whatever reason these days!

HTDAAB is still doing well in the U.S, its just that seeing the success its had in the rest of the world makes it look like its not doing too well in the U.S.

It's done a lot better than ATYCLB had at this point.

Its just a shame that its not having the same success in the US as its getting everywhere else

They definately need a big hit single in america to give the album a boost

Japan

Issue Date: Feb 28, 2005

#92 "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb"- U2 (2,586) [234,775 so far]

Run so far: *4*-9-14-22-29-25-25-30-34-42-74-96-94-92 (14 wks)
Sales so far: 84,129 + 44,394 + 24,903 + 15,549 + 11,576 + 12,600 + 0 + 18,820 + 5,802 + 4,926 + 3,947 + 2,968 + 2,575 + 2,586 = 234,775

STING2 said:
Well, www.mediatraffic.de has already updated the WORLD CHART even though its not Friday yet.

U2 falls from #5 to #9. But it looks like their sales outside the United States are increasing!

An album sales figure was not given for BOMB this week at #9, but sales figures were given for:

Tori Amos - The Beekeeper #8 : 141,000 copies sold in its first week.

Yuki - Joy #12 : 136,000 copies sold in its first week.

So BOMB sold at least 137,000 to 140,000 copies this week Worldwide!

Last week, BOMB's sales OUTSIDE the USA were 105,000!

This week, BOMB's sales OUTSIDE the USA are nearly 115,000! Thats nearly a 10% increase with no awards show outside the USA impacting sales!

"BOMB" has shipped 8,500,000 copies to retailers worldwide!

"BOMB" has now sold over 6,840,000 copies to consumers worldwide!

`Sometimes' remains at 15 on the world chart- but showing an increase in points this week.

Mike

I was surprised to see 'sometimes' stay at #15, thought i would have gone into the top 10! looks like its peaked now, and wont move any higher unless it becomes a hit in the U.S.

2nd single off ATYCLB 'stuck in a moment....' went to #9 !!
i thought 'sometimes' would have done better.

No more split singles!!

ybird3k said:
I was surprised to see 'sometimes' stay at #15, thought i would have gone into the top 10! looks like its peaked now, and wont move any higher unless it becomes a hit in the U.S.

Exactly right, and another reason NOT to keep up this separate singles strategy. With U2.com "premiering", listing, and playing all new singles, and the way things spread throughout the net, it's pointless to actually release separate songs globally and expect not to dillute the effectiveness of promoting ONE SINGLE at a time.

There is still no word from U2.com regarding SYCMIOYO in the U.S., and it's charting IN SPITE OF no video or real promotion. The Grammy performance was good but I'm sure most people were expecting Vertigo and were like WTF?

Perhaps now that ABOY has peaked on the video charts AS WELL AS the radio we'll get the SYCMIOYO video soon. It's a LOCK to top out on VH1 at the very minimum. Vertigo did, and ABOY reached 8 for an "MTV jammed" promoted video on VH1...but falls to 12 this week. It also failed to rise on MTV's top 20, and it's disappearded from the "Launch TOP 100 videos" completely. It did rise two spots to 11 on the Much Music countdown, but Canada seems to be able to handle multiple U2 singles w/o any confusion.

It's not that I want ABOY to fail, but since Interscope hung it out to dry, then we need to get on with a WORLDWIDE PUSH for Sometimes. BTW, ABOY could have charted on the World charts had the single been promoted and been released worldwide.

Hindsight is 20/20, but here's what could have been:

Vertigo made it all the way to #2 on World Chart, stayed there for at least 5 weeks, and did not eveh get the benefit of the U.S. finally counting dowloads. Job well done!

Sometimes could've been release worldwide on Feb 7, no need for a CD in the U.S., but make it downloadble with a few b-sides. give us all the same good video" Worldwide prediction...#1

COBL release as 25th anniversary single on March 25 with ABOY as B-side/A-side due to the MTV video, & make "MTV jammed songs" included as downloadable b-sides, ABOY video released: Worldwide prediction for COBL/ABOY...#1

Release A man and a Woman towards the end of May, and LPOE in July. Neither of these songs would reache #1 on the World charts, but since both are the most "different" songs on HTDAAB, these singles, along with the entire album, would get airplay with a worldwide tour going on at the same time. New audience reached, too.

Finally, in September when the 3rd leg starts, release Miracle Drug with a great b-side collection and announce that all proceeds go to DATA to help Africa in numerous ways. 3rd leg plus great, emotional song at Christmas time along with the grammy nominations, Holiday season sales...Miracle Drug would reach #1 on World Chart (and for a good cause), and HTDAAB would clear 14M units shipped after the Grammy awards in Feb 2006.

Most of this could still happen if SYCMIOYO makes a quick entry into the U.S. Hot 100 singles chart. Elvis, if you're reading this, get this message it to the band! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom