Week 13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ireland

`Sometimes' drops to 8 - shocking; but

Bomb rises to 3. Will be interesting to see how both fare in the UK

Mike

singles will always drop...... specially in the UK... dunno why they always do, but hopefully it wont go out of the top 10

They need to tour Australia this time or else their popularity will only continue to decrease. Not enough publicity for U2 in this country for example we do not even get the Grammy's on TV here anymore.

Looks like sometimes will not make the top 10 but I think the album will continue to float in the 20's.

Very disappointing. #19 on debut is pathetic in all honesty. Just about every U2 song debuts in the top 10 here. I'm shocked.

I'm in Australia, I'm a U2 fan, I visit this board regularly. I had no idea that the single was being released here.

Shows how crap their marketing is downunder. If people aren't aware of it what do they expect.

They really need to re-ignite the passion of the people in this country for them and their music. Its been 8 years since we have seen the boys down here, they have become ancient history.

There is more to the world than the US. We need some U2 loving down here. Hope the Vertigo tour kicks major ass and shows the country the brilliance of the band, particularly on the live arena. They need to be the talk of the town again, its been far too long between drinks.

Sken

I agree I think the only people buying the singles here in au are the collectors (like myself). The result for 'Sometimes' may have even been much worse if it did not come out as 3 seperate singles! They really need to tour here their albums sell quite well but I think they only reason they get resonable air play is because of their past success.

To make matters worse the DVD single hasn't even come out anywhere in Sydney yet. I doubt the rest of OZ too. This song is getting good airplay on Nova ond Tripple M and I just can't believe how poorly it debuted. I bought fucken 15 copies from Dick Smiths too.:(

Hehehe, 15 copies..........nice work.

Just make sure you don't buy 15 tickets for the tour. I dont want to be one of the 14 to miss out:)

Sken

U2 never has super strong singles in the U.K. Even the songs that debut at #1 quickly fall. I'm not sure why - it seems they peak and disappear. But at least they peak high, unlike in the U.S.

Despite a series of hits, U2 is really an album seller. After all, even JT only produced two top 10 hits for U2 in the U.S. - and this was at their peak in terms of chart performances. So to see HTDAAB back in the U.K. top 10 is a good thing. If HTDAAB can climb back into the U.S. top 20 (or higher), I'll be very happy! After the Grammy wins in 2001, ATYCLB climbed back to #11. I'd love to see this happen with HTDAAB (the Grammy wins in 2002 pushed ATYCLB all the way back to #10 - after U2 appeared at the Super Bowl, which gave ATYCLB another push).

Sken said:
I'm in Australia, I'm a U2 fan, I visit this board regularly. I had no idea that the single was being released here.

Shows how crap their marketing is downunder. If people aren't aware of it what do they expect.

They really need to re-ignite the passion of the people in this country for them and their music. Its been 8 years since we have seen the boys down here, they have become ancient history.

There is more to the world than the US. We need some U2 loving down here. Hope the Vertigo tour kicks major ass and shows the country the brilliance of the band, particularly on the live arena. They need to be the talk of the town again, its been far too long between drinks.

Sken

I was in Oz in early January - and heard `Sometimes' on the radio, so it was known it was the next release ! I agree that a lack of a recent tour hasn't helped, but same could be said in respect of both Portugal & Brasil - where our boys appewar to be as popular as ever !

On current sales/chart performance Oz hardly deserves a leg on the tour e.g. compared to South AMERICA, but for those fellow fanatics down under I Do hope they tour AUSTRALASIA.

Mike

fitz said:
"Sometimes" in the 2nd week in UK down from #1 to #7 but "HTDAAB" climbs from #14 to #10!!!

http://www.onelovethecharts.com/NEWSinglesChart.html

WITH 4 new entries ahead of it, I think 7 is a (relative) good result for Sometimes - in a market where the excellent video has hardly been played on mainstream TV. It reminds me of ONE in some respects - that only really became a `classic' after we heard it live - the same will (IMO) happen to Sometimes.

Bomb - great to see it back in the UK top 10, but I really hoped for even better. I would be interested to know sales this week (overall must be near to 1m sales to consumers, and therefore not far from 4 x platinum), but it will go even higher when the tour hits.

Mike

U2 singles in Australia are struggling. Vertigo only peaked at 5. Sometimes at 19 is a pretty ordinary debut - but this is based purely on sales. This is not thru lack of airplay - both songs are heavily played on Nova and MMM - 2 of our 4 main national radio networks.

May I remind everbody that we should not forget that the album has shipped 3x platinum (210,000 copies) so I don't think U2's popularity has crashed. This is on par with most markets around the world (including the US and the U.K ). Last time I looked, Bomb was only 1 platinum in Brazil, but this was a while ago. The album is also sitting at 34 on the US charts at the moment. compared to 20 this week in OZ

The only concern that I have is that the album has not had the sales bump as per the U.K (Back in the top 10 which is a mighty effort) or the US this week caused by the Grammy's. The album is also rising in a lot of Euro markets on the back of Sometimes and probably the Grammy telecast. Unfortunately. we may not see the Grammy's on free to air TV most likely in OZ. I also think it will be hard work for the rest of the year with follow-up singles, unless a video can really catch people's attention. I also agree that promotion of the album and single is non-existant at the moment.

However, if they tour, there will be a huge demand to see a decent act still in the prime and the album guaranteed will get back in the top 5 and turn-over another platinum cert (70,000).

Hi zootvmcg,

I agree with you for the most part, but I think the majority of the 210,000 that have bought the cd are long time and loyal U2 fans. Probably a small minority are new ones. Usually new fans buy singles first.

The tour is essential to showcase the public the U2 phenomenon, and yes it will have a huge influence on cd sales after that.

Sken

Last edited:
Sken said:
Hi zootvmcg,

I agree with you for the most part, but I think the majority of the 210,000 that have bought the cd are long time and loyal U2 fans. Probably a small minority are new ones. Usually new fans buy singles first.

The tour is essential to showcase the public the U2 phenomenon, and yes it will have a huge influence on cd sales after that.

Sken

I think U2 need to come out to Australia to remind everbody of how good they are live and to spread the gospel - 7 years is too long and the best publicity to get their name back in the papers is a great tour

POP-ROMANCER said:
'How to dismantle an atomic bomb' stayes at #1 in Netherlands.

Wow, that's amazing. And what's also amazing: SYCMIOYO from 36 to number 2 in the Dutch Mega Top 50 !!! That didn't happen very often with a second U2 single...

phommel said:
Wow, that's amazing. And what's also amazing: SYCMIOYO from 36 to number 2 in the Dutch Mega Top 50 !!! That didn't happen very often with a second U2 single...

:up:

Could they have their 3rd #1 single in the Netherlands next week?
:hyper:

Popmartijn said:

:up:

Could they have their 3rd #1 single in the Netherlands next week?
:hyper:

Would be great!

But, don't they already have three number 1 hits in the Netherlands? Beautiful Day went to number 1 and Elevation also (after selling a lot of singles during the Dutch elevation shows). So, Vertigo makes three! Then, this could be their fourth number one. Or am i wrong?

grtz, Pascal.

phommel said:

Would be great!

But, don't they already have three number 1 hits in the Netherlands? Beautiful Day went to number 1 and Elevation also (after selling a lot of singles during the Dutch elevation shows). So, Vertigo makes three! Then, this could be their fourth number one. Or am i wrong?

grtz, Pascal.

I usually look at top40 (sales + airplay) instead of megatop50 (only sales). Don't know why but in top 40 vertigo came to #2. So thats two #1 spots in top40, 3 in top50. The next #1 maybe 15th of july, like elevation went to #1 the week after u2 played Arnhem.

Did y'all know that in Canada, ABoY is still the #1 CD single on the sales chart? And it's currently at #8 (down from #7) on the airplay chart! "Vertigo" has two CD singles in the Canadian top 10 sales chart - and "Sometimes..." debuts at #13 based on imports!! The album had bounced back into the Canadian top 10 two weeks ago at #8, but is currently down to #16. However, I'm expecting a push based on the Grammy awards and performance. So all is going well in Canada - again. When "Pop" struggled in the U.S., people in Canada were supporting it fully - so much so that U2's label reissued older CD singles (and they all charted too).

Back
Top Bottom