Week 10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KUEFC09U2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
UK, album up to #23 in todays midweeks,

Magnificent currently at a very low 72 :ohmy:

72? That has to be the biggest flop of their career, they haven't charted lower than that since Boy. But no offence they deserve this, U2 screwed up the release and the single is gonna flop because of it

Thats only on the midweeks, lets wait until the actual chart before pre-judging,

and maybe just maybe the band arent to botherd about a #1 single this time around, the album is doing fine on its own.

Thats only on the midweeks, lets wait until the actual chart before pre-judging,

and maybe just maybe the band arent to botherd about a #1 single this time around, the album is doing fine on its own.

The only problem is all the preorders counted in the midweeks already, this song might miss the top 75 all together

Maybe the band aren't bothered with a top 75 single but I bet the record company is, plus if this misses the top 75 I don't think we'll be getting the last two singles even released

I dont see why they wouldnt release the other singles, afterall Keane are still releasing singles and that was after perfect symmetary failed to chart in the top 75, but yet another song that deserved to be in the top 10, at the end of the day, we all know the majority of people that download track are between the ages of 13-25ish, U2's fanbase are more botherd about the album, hence why the album has started to climb again.

Based on the latest i-tunes update the album version of Magnificent is up to #12 from #15 on top 120 rock songs (on the overall top 300 it has moved from #188 to #171), the uk edit is up to #47 from #106, and with new entries the following remixes appear on the chart: #54 (fred falke remix), #69 (Adam K and Soha remix), #91 (Redanka remix). So i guess that the sales of the magnificent ep's (one of which has moved up to #36 from #60 on uk i-tunes albums chart) have just been added. With these in mind i think that Magnificent will probably climb some places on the following midweeks charts. But on the other hand amazon.co.uk seems to have a stock problem with the cd singles of Magnificent and this will hurt physical sales.

I dont see why they wouldnt release the other singles, afterall Keane are still releasing singles and that was after perfect symmetary failed to chart in the top 75, but yet another song that deserved to be in the top 10, at the end of the day, we all know the majority of people that download track are between the ages of 13-25ish, U2's fanbase are more botherd about the album, hence why the album has started to climb again.

But Keane aren't as big a band as U2, for Keane their time in the mainstream is over but for U2 missing the top 75 isn't a good thing, it's almost an embarrassment. Morrissey didn't get any download or airplay and still charted, I wonder if for some reason physical singles were excluded from the midweek chart, I guess we'll find out tomorrow. If physicals are included in today's midweek the song will be gone by tomorrow

Based on the latest i-tunes update the album version of Magnificent is up to #12 from #15 on top 120 rock songs (on the overall top 300 it has moved from #188 to #171), the uk edit is up to #47 from #106, and with new entries the following remixes appear on the chart: #54 (fred falke remix), #69 (Adam K and Soha remix), #91 (Redanka remix). So i guess that the sales of the magnificent ep's (one of which has moved up to #36 from #60 on uk i-tunes albums chart) have just been added. With these in mind i think that Magnificent will probably climb some places on the following midweeks charts. But on the other hand amazon.co.uk seems to have a stock problem with the cd singles of Magnificent and this will hurt physical sales.

Maybe the cd single has been cancelled in the UK, HMV never advertised it and since they're an actual store they would of. This is odd :hmm:

Maybe the band aren't bothered with a top 75 single but I bet the record company is

Then why did the record company, to use your words, "screwed up the release"?
Didn't the record company realise that there was too much time between the two single releases (GOYB and Magnificent?. That the physical release was way too late after the release to radio? I always thought record companies had some flexibility in single releases (moving up or back releases based on the success of other singles). Apparently not... :|

Then why did the record company, to use your words, "screwed up the release"?
Didn't the record company realise that there was too much time between the two single releases (GOYB and Magnificent?. That the physical release was way too late after the release to radio? I always thought record companies had some flexibility in single releases (moving up or back releases based on the success of other singles). Apparently not... :|

How did they not screw it up? They waited too long to release it, the video is only coming out now. There's no way a record company would want a single to flop, hit single means more album sales means more money. Someone screwed up with this, same thing happen with Boots took too long to release it and the video was delayed

How did they not screw it up? They waited too long to release it, the video is only coming out now. There's no way a record company would want a single to flop, hit single means more album sales means more money. Someone screwed up with this, same thing happen with Boots took too long to release it and the video was delayed

I'm not arguing whether or not the record company did screw it up. Because, yes they did. But why? What was their reason to wait so long with the release of Magnificent?

Anyone here working at Universal who can shed some light on this? :wink:

Maybe the cd single has been cancelled in the UK, HMV never advertised it and since they're an actual store they would of. This is odd :hmm:

I received two emails from Universal UK and one from U2.com promoting the release of Magnificent, and none of them mention the CD singles. It almost seems too late at this point.

I'm hoping that they're just holding it up so they can release it with the video, but that seems doubtful.

Great, I wasted £1 for a car park yesterday morning to get it in HMV, when it was cancelled all along! LOL!

I wonder how many people haven't downloaded because they were waiting for the CD single? Probably not enough to make a significant difference in chart position, or lack thereof.

This single release has really, truly been a total disaster. I hope it doesn't discourage them from releasing the next two singles. I guess they are stuck at least releasing them on 7" vinyl since they sent out those collectors boxes.

cancelled, that doesnt make sense, can only imagine its through expected lack of demand. i dont think the record companys solely to blame on this one, as if people wanted to download ti they would, regardless of promotion, although an advert would have helped. (im not sure if apple are doing any anymore?, havent seen one in a while) to miss the top 40 would be a complete flop. a few years ago the thought of a single missing the top 5 would have been unheard of.

i also would expect NLOTH to jump back to top 10 this week, but thats not going to happen.

Like, when did they decide? Surely they must have been pressed a while ago now? Baffling to say the least!

Like, when did they decide? Surely they must have been pressed a while ago now? Baffling to say the least!

Well they never told Amazon to stop selling them, they shipped them to Ireland, this makes no sense. The lack of a CD single is really costing this song. Maybe it's due to the lack of downloads for the song so far that they're planning on just letting it rise the charts than try to get it to peak first week. That's the only logical reason I can think of

Plus it's only a few thousand copies, it wouldn't take that long to press

Just checked - Amazon UK has one of the CDs cancelled and the other + the 7" available from 'other sellers' for about 4 and 6quid respectively...

Amazon.co.uk: u2 magnificent

Also I blame the dumb 2 track CD idea which puts alot of fans off buying singles, complete rip off... hate em ah we thank you BPI... :shifty:

U2 have moved up at least 20 places in todays midweeks and are in the mid 50's, not great but at least moving in the right direction.

Is this link out of date? Apple - iTunes - Browse the top 100 album downloads

its showing no line at #50 but no sign of magnificent ep?

I'm pretty sure this is the US chart and the Magnificent EP is not on sale in the US. Just incredible that VLV is still #54 in albums and #68 in song downloads. NLOTH is about to fall behind VLV in album sales rank (it's #50), although on Amazon VLV is #30 and NLOTH is still up at #7.

Coldplay are just about to start their tour in the US so maybe that is helping a little?

Back
Top Bottom