Week 10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Poland:

Week 10

NLOTH:
1-1-1-1-2-3-3-5-5 - 6

...and just to compare...
HTDAAB:
1-1-3-5-6-4-8-11-8-12-18-15........

as you can see NLOTH is doing much better over here than HTDAAB did,
it is now somewhere between 3xPlatinum (60k) and 4xPlatinum (80k) - but much closer to 80k :up:
HTDAAB total sales were 100k, NLOTH is almost there after 2 months and there is still a 360'Tour show in August to boost sales and bring back older albums back in the chart :hyper:

It looks like the US and the UK are the odd ones out, the album is doing fine in Europe/ROW.

Magnificent has fallen badly on itunes, only the album version is still in the top 300, and the EP is down to 82. Expect it to be back out of top 40 by Sunday

According to a post at ukmix forum here are the top selling physical singles in uk this week:

01 03 TINCHY/N-DUBZ
02 NE BRITNEY SPEARS
03 04 CIARA
04 05 GREEN DAY
05 01 GIRLS ALOUD
06 02 LIVERPOOL COLLECTIVE
07 09 LADY GAGA - POKERFACE
08 NE U2
09 NE MAXIMO PARK
10 06 MORRISEY

It's a same for such a great song to be treated that way : a delayed video, a cancelled physical release and no promo at all. I never expected such an amateur promoting policy from u2.

Do you think all of this has something to do with U2 no longer being with Island but with Mercury? :hmm:

Never thought of that, but you're definitely on to something. I imagine there is some hard feelings going about right now. U2 can't be pleased with this. They are very much uninvolved with this kind of stuff I think. Maybe Paul wishes he could do more, but his hands are tied with a record company that don't really seem to care about promoting the biggest band on their roster.

NLOTH up to #19 from #27 this week in uk albums chart. Magnificent :wink:

thats ok, but if magnificent had made it top 20 or even top10, i think NLOTH would have reached top 10. its likely there will be a big drop into the 30's again next week.

the top 10 albums gives a good indication of the result of hit singles. lady gaga, pink, beyonce, KOL and the prodigy - whose success ive been surprised with.

thats ok, but if magnificent had made it top 20 or even top10, i think NLOTH would have reached top 10. its likely there will be a big drop into the 30's again next week.

the top 10 albums gives a good indication of the result of hit singles. lady gaga, pink, beyonce, KOL and the prodigy - whose success ive been surprised with.

Kelly Clarkson had a hit single, but where is she?

Not a great increase given TV advertising campaign by the likes of Tesco Mike

Kelly Clarkson had a hit single, but where is she?

mid 20's, surprisingly the #1 single from her didnt generate huge album sales. the album has now fallen, and its time for her second single. the other artists i mentioned have their albums back in those positions due to 2nd or 3rd singles. pink & beyonces album were released many months ago, yet the singles have given them legs it seems.

Wait until her second single is out before judging her album, most albums by pop artists seem to peak with the second single as people decide they like the artist enough to buy the album

such as lady gaga and KOL. the second single makes them more than one hit wonders and leads people to consider the album may be more of the same.

such as lady gaga and KOL. the second single makes them more than one hit wonders and leads people to consider the album may be more of the same.

Yup, I'm not gonna say I like either of them at all but for people who are into that stuff the second and third singles are the most important.

put it this way, for years pop music albums were all filler excluding the singles. People felt ripped off. Now people can pick what songs they like, so they simply download the first single if they like it and give the album a miss. If they like the second single they might think "Maybe the rest of it is good too", and with the third single this happens again. And for labels they rather this as a slow but steady selling album means more singles can be released. Like for Lady GaGa she can release more potential number 1s because the album hasn't sold amazing amounts but it is doing so slowly. For Kings of Leon and Coldplay the album has sold so much that future singles are going to do poorly because the type of people who like that kind of music already have the album and thus don't want the next single.

But aren't they both owned by Universal? So really a band of U2's level is working for Universal no matter what

yeah, but in UK and US it's Mercury and Interscope with 'license' (or whatever is written on the back of CD) for U2's music, ROW there's UniversalMusic France, UniversalMusic Germany, UniversalMusic Poland etc.
And it so happens that UK and US are the 2 countries (the most important for album sales unfortunately) where NLOTH is not doing well.
So it's Mercury that canceled the CDS in UK not U2 or Universal. The rest of Europe has both versions of the single.

But Mercury is owned by Universal, I'd imagine while Mercury do the day to day running of the business a band worth as much as U2 gets handled more by the main company, I mean U2 are a big investment so Universal will obviously want a lot of input

But Mercury is owned by Universal, I'd imagine while Mercury do the day to day running of the business a band worth as much as U2 gets handled more by the main company, I mean U2 are a big investment so Universal will obviously want a lot of input

but do you remember when U2 left Island, they were talking how they were not happy how no one from Island came to the studio while they were recording new songs, that they felt ignored or something :shrug:
Beside, both Island and Mercury are owned by Universal, so if what you're saying is true, it should not matter for U2 if they're here or there, yet they left Island for Mercury :shrug:
I've no idea what's going on, but I think it's safe to say it's Mercury hurting U2 the most in UK

but do you remember when U2 left Island, they were talking how they were not happy how no one from Island came to the studio while they were recording new songs, that they felt ignored or something :shrug:
Beside, both Island and Mercury are owned by Universal, so if what you're saying is true, it should not matter for U2 if they're here or there, yet they left Island for Mercury :shrug:
I've no idea what's going on, but I think it's safe to say it's Mercury hurting U2 the most in UK

But I think Mercury and Island would be the ones doing the day to day running of the business, so they would be the label U2 would go to most of the time but I think U2 are so big that the parent company Universal will take a big interest in the album and how it does. If Mercury are the reason behind it, you wonder why Universal are allowing it, U2 are a pretty big number on their balance sheets

But I think Mercury and Island would be the ones doing the day to day running of the business, so they would be the label U2 would go to most of the time but I think U2 are so big that the parent company Universal will take a big interest in the album and how it does. If Mercury are the reason behind it, you wonder why Universal are allowing it, U2 are a pretty big number on their balance sheets

:shrug: I've no idea how it works, Maybe they don't have to ask Universal to do enything, maybe they're independent enough to make decisions about the market they're responsible for (UK), I have no idea.
But it's the first album released by Mercury, and something is not right in UK with this album

NLOTH NETHERLANDS:

# 13

Magnificient:
NE, # 18

That is a really bad debut for U2 in Netherlands!!

It is straneg what is happening with U2. Magnificient is (being very objective) better than The Saints, or Window in the Skies, or any of the singles of the prevous album. but they debuted higher and some of them even at number 1. Furthermore Magnificient is not played on the radio! Strange this

Back
Top Bottom