Vertigo...hot 100?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dima

Acrobat
I don't know exactly how the single chart works in the USA but if i'm not wrong it's mainly based on airplay, isn't it?
when will we able to see Vertigo on the charts? next week or we'll have to wait 'till the release of the CDS? will it make the hot 100? or we'll see it only in modern rock or other minor charts?

Even though the song debuted this week, I don't think we will see it on the charts that are based on this week. For that the song is probably played too little (considering that the other songs have been played for the whole week). However, it might be that the song enters the charts based on next week's airplay (should radio stations continue playing it a lot). So I guess that at the earliest you see it on a chart that comes out around 8/9 October (should that one be based on airplay between 27 September and 3 October).
Then, it will depend on which kind of radio stations it is played for the specific chart. There are radio stations that count more to the Modern Rock chart, or the Adult Alternative, etc. For the song to enter the Hot 100 it has to be played a lot at across all the different formats. Will this happen to Vertigo? Who knows...

C ya!

Marty

As of last night, it is getting airplay on the following formats in the USA:

Classic Rock
AAA Rock
Alternative
CHR/Pop
HOT AC
Mainstream Rock

The data for yesterday PM and Evening play (overnight data not available yet, nor any numbers for today) is as such:

Classic Rock: 3 stations, 16 spins
Mainstream Rock: 17 radio stations, 42 spins in total
AAA Rock: 17 stations, 50 spins
CHR/Pop: 2 stations, 13 spins
Alternative: 54 stations, 250 spins
HOT AC: 30 stations, 86+ spins

The biggest formats of these are CHR/Pop (top 40), Alternative and HOT AC

It'll take a LOT more play than that to break into the Hot 100. However, this is a start.

I'm sure in a few weeks, the rock charts will list the song.

Popmartijn said:
Even though the song debuted this week, I don't think we will see it on the charts that are based on this week. For that the song is probably played too little (considering that the other songs have been played for the whole week). However, it might be that the song enters the charts based on next week's airplay (should radio stations continue playing it a lot). So I guess that at the earliest you see it on a chart that comes out around 8/9 October (should that one be based on airplay between 27 September and 3 October).
Then, it will depend on which kind of radio stations it is played for the specific chart. There are radio stations that count more to the Modern Rock chart, or the Adult Alternative, etc. For the song to enter the Hot 100 it has to be played a lot at across all the different formats. Will this happen to Vertigo? Who knows...

C ya!

Marty

A new article on Billboard's website says:

"The album's first single, "Vertigo," is already making a bomb-size impact at U.S. radio outlets. After just three days of airplay, the cut is expected to debut this week in the top 20 of Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks chart and the top 30 of the Mainstream Rock Tracks tally."

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000642815

I am stunned at the success of "Vertigo"! I hope it continues to climb the charts! #1 is right out, but I'd love to see a Top 20 hit.

Beautiful Day peaked at #21; however, it started out in the 70's and lingered there for quite some time before it finally moved up the charts. "Vertigo's" debut on the charts is the highest since "Discotheque" (which hit #10). "Staring at the Sun" reached #26, but I think it debuted much lower than #46.

Considering the song only had about 3 days and is just getting going, I'm hoping it has a nice run on the charts. It's a good song and deserves the attention. Plus, with the overdose of R&B and rap on the charts these days, this song is VERY refreshing.

I don't remember exactly what BD did, but it went up, then down, then back up to peak at #21 after winning the 3 grammy's.

That was the highest any song from ATYCLB reached on the Hot 100.

Vertigo has already done better than Elevation, Walk On, and SIAM, on this chart.

Zoocoustic said:
I don't remember exactly what BD did, but it went up, then down, then back up to peak at #21 after winning the 3 grammy's.

That was the highest any song from ATYCLB reached on the Hot 100.

Vertigo has already done better than Elevation, Walk On, and SIAM, on this chart.

We may have to look up one of Doctor Who's old threads, but I actually think BD hit #21 *before* winning the Grammy awards. I think a lot of us were hoping those awards would boost the song into the top 20, but it didn't. However, it did give the album a boost - the album jumped back up to #11 on the charts the week after the award show. :)

Because VERTIGO's highest chart position on any of the "sub-radio charts" is #18 on Modern Rock, I think the reason VERTIGO charted so high is due to sales on I-Tunes. Don't know that for a fact, but if this was just based on airplay, the song should be #1 on the Modern Rock charts already as well as top 20 on a couple of other charts.

Wasn't the problem with BD ascending the charts after the Grammies related to the fact that Walk On had just been released on radio in the USA a few weeks prior to the Grammies and Universal tried to make certain that the Walk On wasn't neglected because BD was at the time suddenly popular?

I might be confused, but that was the impression i got. It was a shame though, cause in the end Walk On didn't do nearly as well as it could have cause a) SIAM was released elsewhere worldwide, and b) because BD regained it's mass popularity right in the middle of the Walk On radio release.
Did it ever chart on the Hot 100? I guess Doc WHo's charts will be handy now :D.

Yeah, Walk On never did very well at any specific point because of Beautiful Day. But it was played fairly consistently over several months (at least on adult top 40) and went on to win a grammy for record of the year. So not too shabby!

very true that bsp. I must admit I was both surprised and not when I heard that Walk On was chosen in the list of contenders for Record of the Year. I mean I was surprised in that I didn't realise it had had much of an impact in the USA... but I guess the Tribute to Heroes performance would've made a pretty big impact.

Ofcourse I wasn't surprised because it's an awesome song that deserved the award :p.

Just wondering.... back in the days of Achtung Baby U2 were obviously played the most on Modern and Mainstream Rock formats, but who else played them? They must've have had a pretty big impact on the Top 40 format... which I guess they've had less of an impact on since that is now almost totally devoted to Rap, RnB, and Pop. Were they also played on Adult Top 40, Alternative etc.? Or has that all come since/after POP?

WHYWHY.

Both Mysterious Ways and One got heavy airplay on mainstream top 40 and adult top 40 as well as all rock formats. The other songs were mainly successful on modern rock/alternative and MTV. Sorry, don't have numbers but I know that Mysterious Ways peaked at #9 overall and One at #10 overall. This is all US though.

They were very Top 40 during JT/R&H/AB...moreso than with Pop or ATYCLB. Remember, the late 80's/early 90's is when U2 was as big as Brittney, Eminem, Usher, etc.

Zoocoustic said:
They were very Top 40 during JT/R&H/AB...moreso than with Pop or ATYCLB. Remember, the late 80's/early 90's is when U2 was as big as Brittney, Eminem, Usher, etc.

Based on the sales of their latest studio albums and demand to see them in concert, U2 is currently bigger than Brittney, Eminem, and Usher.

STING2 said:

Based on the sales of their latest studio albums and demand to see them in concert, U2 is currently bigger than Brittney, Eminem, and Usher.

As true as this is, sadly, U2 is STILL not played on Top 40 radio stations, not like the UF-AB era.

I'm also a bit worried about week 2 for "Vertigo". I have yet to hear this song on the radio. Now, I admit, this has a lot to do with the fact that I only listen to the radio in the car while driving to and from work (which is about 30 minutes a day). However, I have heard "Beautiful Day" several times and even "Stuck..." but not "Vertigo". Hmmm...

u2ulysses said:

As true as this is, sadly, U2 is STILL not played on Top 40 radio stations, not like the UF-AB era.

I'm also a bit worried about week 2 for "Vertigo". I have yet to hear this song on the radio. Now, I admit, this has a lot to do with the fact that I only listen to the radio in the car while driving to and from work (which is about 30 minutes a day). However, I have heard "Beautiful Day" several times and even "Stuck..." but not "Vertigo". Hmmm...

Vertigo's first week on the charts was based on 3 days of airplay. Even if Vertigo if Vertigo gets the same average airplay per day as the first 3 days, it will move up big time because its 7 days of airplay vs. 3 days.

Its true that U2 has not had a top 20 song in terms of AIRPLAY since Achtung Baby in the USA. But I think this album is going to change that. But its not going to happen instantly if it does. Airplay, unlike sales of a new album or single, do take time to develop and grow.

Quick thing about the Hot 100.

It is my understanding that it is based on total audience reached as opposed to number of spins.

Thus, it is more important that Big Markets and the most listened to radio stations play the song.

Also, the time it is played would also have an effect (i.e. rush our as opposed to overnight)

Back
Top Bottom