Vertigo at #5 in Australia!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intedomine

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Shocking!

Vertigo debuted on the Aussie ARIA chart at 5!

The opening single from u2's albums usually reach their peak position in the first week

Beautiful Day debuted at #1 and stayed there for 2 weeks then sunk lower and lower.

In 1997, Discotheque debuted at #3, higher than Vertigo, and then sunk....

I was expecting Vertigo to debut at the top however Gwen Stefani took that spot. Cant believe it!

5 is way lower than i expected, and even some unknown clown named joel turner and 'our delta' are higher.

History suggests that Vertigo will go no higher than 5, and although it has reached gold status, i find it disturbing, particularly with an Advertising campaign in full swing. (and just for the single, not the album!)

I know u2 are more of an album band than a singles band, but its really surprising, particulalrly with the success of all 4 singles from ATYCLB.

Not enough radio play?, not a likable song?, a band too old to chart?

5 is not very impressive for u2 in Australia, when comparing it with u2's previous aussie charting history.

Let's hope the album enjoys more success and recognition

http://www.aria.com.au/pages/aria-charts-display.asp?chart=1S50

WTF?

The Gold Coast isn't the only tasteless sewer in this country? Ugh.

Lo-Fi said:
Vertigo is offically No. 1 in the UK top 40 just as a side note.

Glad some countries in the world know good music when they hear it.

Vertigo won't go any higher in Oz which sux.... cause it ain't been accepted much by radio and will unfortunately drop down because all the U2 fans went and bought the single in the first week.

Real shame... but not entirely surprising.
Let's hope the album can at least get to #1.
WHYWHY.

Yeah it was a complete shock. Sadly Vertigo won't go any higher. Good news about the UK chart but now I'm a little worried the album might not reach the top spot here in Oz either. Kylie Minogue is releasing her double Greatest Hits album on the same day. She sells by the truck load here. Yesterday I would have tipped U2 but after seeing the singles chart I'm a little concerned.

I noticed quite a few shops were putting up their HTDAAB signs/posters over the weekend. That might boost single sales. But I suspect it will probaby drop a few spots next week, not go higher :(

I wouldn't bother with the Australian singles chart. Singles sales have fallen to such an incredible low here, and unlike in the US and UK, radio airplay has no part in the charts. I mean, have a look at how small the singles section has gotten in your local Sanity/HMV etc. Used to be a whole row or two, not it's just a quarter of one. Basically, you have to remember that the only people who still buy singles in Australia are a small handfull of 14yr old girls. Not exactly Vertigo's target market.... Don't worry, HTDAAB is a guaranteed # 1 debut.

Axver said:

Glad some countries in the world know good music when they hear it.

Axver, they might appreciate U2 to get them to number 1, but have you heard some of the crap that charts in the UK?!!! :wink:

I think that songs tend to stay in the Oz charts for longer than what they do over there. It's likely to be no. 1 there for a week, then drop out of the top 10. Hopefully Vertigo will at least stay in our top 10 for a while. Only time will tell I guess...

I am hopeful of another strong week. It is still getting strong radio airplay on MMM and Nova and even heard it on The Fox. It was close run for the top 5 this week as well - Gwen Stefani's only went gold so I think it was pretty close. I also saw for the first time on TV the IPOD ad which is what the USA would have got so more coverage. I am going to buy the single on Friday.

As for the album - at least 2x platinum in week one as per recent releases, but I have the feeling that the hype for this album is far greater than ATYCLB. With all the positive reviews and a definite tour next year, I think it should be ATYCLB 5x platinum status in Aust

I thought I read once that "Lemon" hit No. 1 in Australia.........anyone can verify this?

U2's number 1 singles in Australia have been The FLY, Desire, Thrill/Kiss Kill Me, Beautiful Day. Not sure about Discoteque - got to either 1 or 2. All I want is you/Everlasting love got to number 2.

I remember Lemon making the top 10, but it definitely did not hit number 1 - made it to number 7 or 8 or something like that.

In Oz

Electrical Storm # 5
Walk On # 9
Elevation # 6
Stuck In A Moment # 3
Beautiful Day # 1
Sweetest Thing # 6

Post the rest later

Well the Aria charts for Australia have just been updated and in its second week Vertigo drops, like i predicted, but further than I thought. This week it sits at #16 in its second week.
This is a little disappointing but not overly surprising. Vertigo was well received on the radio but I believe there was too much time between it being played on radio and being released as a single and would have faded away by now. Everyone would have already downloaded it and therefore not bother about buying the single.
HTDAAB on the other hand will do really well, I'm sure of it. Enimem's album debuted at #1 as expected this week and is double platinum and of course there is delta goodrem's new album selling by the truck-load. Even if HTDAAB doesnt hit number 1 it will still sell heaps due to christmas rush.

How the hell did it fall down to SIXTEEN? This nation really does have abysmal taste.

Back
Top Bottom