Unlucky U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the british charts chages this sunday for the best, from now on the chart will include downloads as well as cd releases.

personally i think this is great! it means anything thats legally downloaded can go in the charts (even album tracks) but because of this the latest release from u2 "window in the skies" will lose out on a chance of going number one, which is a pity cos its the best crossover song they have ever released.

I don't understand this new system - why does it mean U2 will loose out in going to number one? Isn't the song up for download?
There is no top of the pops now so the charts really make no sense to me! :|

partygirlvox said:
I don't understand this new system - why does it mean U2 will loose out in going to number one? Isn't the song up for download?
On iTunes, Window in the Skies isn't available to be downloaded as an individual track. In order to download it, you have to purchase and download the entire U218 Singles album, which a lot of people (understandably) don't want to do.

DreamOutLoud13 said:

On iTunes, Window in the Skies isn't available to be downloaded as an individual track. In order to download it, you have to purchase and download the entire U218 Singles album, which a lot of people (understandably) don't want to do.

You can download the individual song from iTunes in the UK.

I like the new rules, it means the 3 minute pop songs will go down the tube and true classics have a change to re enter the charts.

Personally dont be suprised to hear pink floyds another brick in the wall to re appear.

well considering what non u2 fans say it doesnt really matter.

I didnt expect the song to do too well at this time of year anyway.

to be fair, i just checked the HMV website, and in there singles top 10, windows is number 1, 2 and 3

so there is hope

Leona be number 1, the wall remix be number 2, some other song be number 3 and we will be number 4

BEST CASE SITUATION

I thought the British charts already did count downloads so long as there was a CD version on release as well? The new rules mean that a download song doesn't have to have a CD release out to chart and so, like vaz02 says, it's possible to have classic songs from decades ago re-enter the charts if the download sales are high enough. Have I got that right or have I totally misunderstood?

vaz02 said:
^ right you are

But if I'm right then I don't understand why it affects Windows In The Skies in any way. I mean it was available for download and had a CD release so the download sales would still count even before these new rules come in. So I don't understand how if WITS had been released after the new rules it had better chance of becoming number one? :confused:

phillyfan26 said:
I hate downloads. This will change the music industry for the worse.

Agree 100%. Well, I don't mind free downloads, but paying for a download to me is asinine...may as well pay for air.

TheQuiet1 said:

But if I'm right then I don't understand why it affects Windows In The Skies in any way. I mean it was available for download and had a CD release so the download sales would still count even before these new rules come in. So I don't understand how if WITS had been released after the new rules it had better chance of becoming number one? :confused:

Ignore them, it hasnt effected anything. I think people wasnt searching Uk itunes.

TheQuiet1 said:

It indeed doesn't really affect WITS. It would only affect it when a non-single entered the charts higher based on downloads only than WITS. AFAIK, this won't happen (although Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol apparently comes close as that one will probably re-enter in the top 10).

1 1 Leona - A Moment Like This
2 N Eric Prydz - Proper Education
3 2 Take That - Patience
4 N U2 - Window In The Skies

great prediction by me.

I only know one of those songs...

Well Take That is vaguely familiar, afraid I don't recognize the track though.

I'm starting to get a bit confused by all these changes as I never keep up-to-date with what's going on in the charts. If Pop Idol winners can take the Number 1 slot year after year I don't care much for them though. :shrug:

Nice to see someone else from Belfawst though, manwiththespinninhead
:wave:

Back
Top Bottom