Uk sales not that good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjhbonovox

Refugee
Been reading reports that the sales of the new compilation are getting trounced by 'mega group' Westlife in the Uk charts. Maybe this will remind U2 that their hard core fans that have bought everything in the past can only take so many compilations of the same songs in their collections. I read this in The Sun by the way.:wink:

and what is Westlife doing in the rest of the world? I didnt expect this set to shoot in at #1, and it isnt geared towards the hard core fans, no greatest hit collection ever is. This CD set is simply to buy some time in between recording albums. An album that you will be complaining about the day it comes out anyway so what does it matter to you.

Yahweh said:
This CD set is simply to buy some time in between recording albums.

And to help Bono with his big £8 million new yacht bill (with 6 staff)!:wink:

I think with this being a compilation aimed at casual fans, the sales will be strong for several weeks, rather than frontloaded like a new material release. The casual fans aren't gonna be "anticipating" the release, it is more a case of them seeing it on a shelf and picking it up.

Not non fans, casual fans. I don't see someone who doesn't like U2 at all shelling out $10 for 18 U2 tracks haha.

oo dear
uk album charts have just been released

1)Westlife - The Love Album
2)Oasis - Stop the clocks
3)Beatles - Love
4)U2 - U2:18
5)George Michael - Twenty Five

sorry not sure about the actual sales figures.

219662 Westlife
213289 Oasis
173517 Beatles
101083 U2
73681 GEORGE MICHAEL
55150 JAMIROQUAI (6)
54639 GIRLS ALOUD (7)
45991 SUGABABES (8)
40818 RAZORLIGHT (9)
39463 ANGELIS (10)

100k is actually very good IMO, considering every1s already got the previous best of's. if this had been their first greatest hits album would have been #1 easy i think.

ybird3k said:
100k is actually very good IMO, considering every1s already got the previous best of's. if this had been their first greatest hits album would have been #1 easy i think.

I agree- esp given how well Bomb sold in the UK first week ! Will be interesting to see the global chart later this week. Orginally I thought U2 would top it with sales of around 1m - but The Beatles & Jay Zee (mainly US sales)might mean our boys are at 3.

mike

blimey over 100K is much better than anticipated! this would of been No 1 on most other weeks in the year!

But would 100k people buy it at other times?

Either way, I would like to know why the hell they chose this week to release. Yeah I know all about Thanksgiving etc, but would a week earlier really have killed them?

Oasis put up quite a good fight.........had their compilation been two FULL discs of material, I think they would have had the edge over Westlife.

Well, at 101k it has outsold the first week of sales for Best Of 1990-2000, which sold 95k in its first week.
Let's see how it goes from here.

I doubt the band expected much from this. It's the third greatest hits compile, a blatant stocking-filler, and here's been bugger-all promotion for it in the UK.

smileplease said:
I doubt the band expected much from this. It's the third greatest hits compile, a blatant stocking-filler, and here's been bugger-all promotion for it in the UK.

There has been TV commericals and adverts in the big national papers.

not u2 in top 3 because for monday and tuesday midchart in Uk i have these data:

Take That #1 48 000
Oasis #2 44 000
Il Divo #3 35 000

Back
Top Bottom