U2's Selling Power(Poor)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mayflower

The Fly
I have a question;
What is wrong with U2's selling power?
Why is it that U2 can't sell as good as artists like Shania Twain,Britney Spears etc.?
Are they so unpopular?
I just don't get it.
A source tells me that U2's new album might not even go platinum in the US!

There's nothing wrong with U2's selling power. When they release albums those albums sell like hot cakes. It depends a bit on the region how much it'll exactly sell, but it does sell a lot. And U2 has sold as well as the artists you mentioned. In the USA The Joshua Tree went diamond (meaning shipments of more than 10 million). OK, there is always the odd spike, but most of the artists you mentioned do not perform constant. Has Britney's new album sold anything? Here in the Netherlands have her last two albums sold a bit, but certainly not much. Shania's Come On Over was a massive success, but Up?
U2 on the other hand have relative constant success. They may not be the biggest sellers ever, but their sales are very healthy. Even their lightest-selling album (Pop) went platinum in the USA and has worldwide sales of 6 million or so. And that's still a lot. ATYCLB sold more than 4 million copies in the USA (and 13 million or so worldwide), so that was another massive success.

As for their new album, it has not gone platinum in the USA. Then again, it isn't released yet! :p
So don't worry, it will turn out fine.

C ya!

Marty

Shania Twain's Up is already Diamond in the US
Britney's new album is Double Platinum in the US.

I don't think U2's new album will ever match that!

Actually I just by chance came across these figures while looking for something else.Come to think of it,I think it was spam mail that provided me with this info.
But I reckon it's true.
BTW,I don't like either of these artists,thank you.

Mayflower,

ATYCLB has outsold Britney's last album which peaked at 7 million worldwide. The latest album has sold 2 million in the USA, but will probably only do 3 million in the USA, while sales outside the USA will probably only be 2 million for a total of 5 million. Britney's chart busting/selling days on the scale of her first to albums will probably not come around again. This latest album by her will probably only sell 5 million, less than U2's POP.

Album sales are one thing, the other thing is concert ticket sales. Here, Mrs. Spears is even farther behind. Take the Pepsi Arena in Denver for example. U2 can sellout multiple nights at this place. Britney concert there for March 15 has sold only 1/3 of the seats in the Arena after being on sale for nearly a month!

Britney is cute and can sell Pepsi, Coke and other products big time, but the real question one should be asking is why she can't sell out concerts and a lot of albums(compared to her first two releases and other top acts). The reason is that the BOYBAND POP era is over at this time.

As for Shania Twain, her latest album sales of 10 million in the USA are very impressive, but what has she been able to sell outside the USA, where 70% of the music buying public lives? Based on the chart above, it looks like only a million or two since her sales in the USA are 10 million.

In addition to this, several Shania Twain shows in 20,000 seat arena's in big cities, have failed to sellout.

When it comes to Global concert ticket sales and album sales combined, Shania Twain and Britney are currently not on par with U2.

But the truth is that they are a lot more popular.

And I personally don't think Britney is cute or pretty at all!

She's honestly an eyesore in my opinion!

I agree with Mayflower, U2's sales within the US are pretty sad when you see artists like Avril, Eminem and 50 Cent sell more then U2. 50 Cent was a nobody about a year ago and yet can sell twice as much as U2 in the US. How do you account for this STING ? I think U2's marketing machine is just not that great at all, they have done a lot better for ATYCLB but before that they did almost no marketing in the states for POP except for the KMART thing which was pretty pathetic in itself. If they had the marketing power of some of these artists like Avril and Eminenm and 50 Cent then they would sell twice as many records in the States as they currently do. Heck even Norah Jones is an example of great marketing, she was an absolute nobody but sold more than U2's last album inthe States. Also remember Joshua Tree was a long time ago and they have not repeated that success in the States so if you use that example then you should respect Mayflowers example of Britneys first album not her current or last one. U2 should be selling albums like hotcakes relative to their concert sales, there's no excuse for that. I mean their last album was not a dud or a bad album in fact it was a great album and therefore their sales should exceed the likes of Avril.

Let's face it.
U2 are just gonna be fuck-ups as far as album sales are concerned(this new year).
Sorry,but that's how I feel.
We aren't going to be seeing any satisfactory numbers,trust me.

EvolutionMonkey,

"50 Cent was a nobody about a year ago and yet can sell twice as much as U2 in the US. How do you account for this STING ?"

U2 sales of ATYCLB as of this time last year were at
4,117,000 albums sold to consumers according to Soundscan which tracks over 95% of all sales to consumers in the USA.

50 Cent's album has currently shipped 6 million copies to stores according to RIAA. I do not have the soundscan figure for sales to consumers, but its less than 6 million since a store can't sell something that has not been shipped to them.

So at best, 50 Cent has outsold U2's latest album by 33% to 50%, but no where near twice as much.

There is always a new artist, usually several artist, every year that are brand new multiplatinum smashes. Thats not unique or unusual at all. What is unique and unusual is a band like U2 to be delivering multiplatinum smashes like ATYCLB 15 years after the release of their largest selling album. 50 Cent may have had a hot selling album in 2003, but what will he be selling like in 2018? Or even 2008? Can't say for sure, but the Pop world is litered with "here today, gone tomorrow"

More on the Subject of 50 Cent and his album sales, notice that 50 Cent has only sold 1 million copies in Europe compared to ATYCLB sales of over 4.5 million there. ATYCLB has sold another 3-4 million copies in countries outside the USA and Europe.

And, equally as important, how many arena's and Stadiums has 50 Cent been able to sellout by himself? NONE At best he may have been able to sellout some 3,000 seat theaters. Talk about a HUGE difference between ones album sales and ticket sales.

"I think U2's marketing machine is just not that great at all, they have done a lot better for ATYCLB but before that they did almost no marketing in the states for POP except for the KMART thing which was pretty pathetic in itself."

ATYCLB sales show this idea to be false. ATYCLB is currently one of the top 15 selling albums worldwide in this new decade. Nearly 12 million albums sold and counting. POP sold only 6 million copies worldwide because the casual U2 fans and general public simply did not like the album. But the POPMART tour played to over 4 million people worldwide and GROSSED 171 million dollars in ticket sales. It still ranks today, on a worldwide basis, as the third highest Grossing tour of all time.

The Elevation tour in North America is currently the 3rd highest Grossing tour in North American history.

So no, U2's marketing machine, while not perfect, has done very well. The statistics speak for themselves and I have more to prove the point in need be.

"If they had the marketing power of some of these artists like Avril and Eminenm and 50 Cent then they would sell twice as many records in the States as they currently do. Heck even Norah Jones is an example of great marketing, she was an absolute nobody but sold more than U2's last album inthe States."

The artist you mention above, except Eminenm, are having large multiplatinum success in the USA based on a first album release. This type of thing happens every year or every other year. Next year or the year after, 3 or 4 people never heard of before will have huge successful debut albums. This is more of a case of being the "NEW THING" rather than some magic marketing strategy. Avril's new album has done as well as 50 Cent, 6 million copies shipped to stores in the USA. Yes a little better than the over 4 million sale of ATYCLB in the USA, but only a little.

But how much can these artist sale outside the USA and what about their concert ticket sales, just as important as album sales when determining popularity.

Norah Jones has had one successful album, but again, she can't sell enough tickets to even play Arena's. Eminenm has done well with album sales both in the USA and outside the USA, but has done very little when it comes to selling concert tickets.

Notice that in 2003, only 3 albums in the USA sold more than ATYCLB USA sales total. Just check out Billboards latest album chart.

"Also remember Joshua Tree was a long time ago and they have not repeated that success in the States so if you use that example then you should respect Mayflowers example of Britneys first album not her current or last one. U2 should be selling albums like hotcakes relative to their concert sales, there's no excuse for that. I mean their last album was not a dud or a bad album in fact it was a great album and therefore their sales should exceed the likes of Avril."

I am only using ATYCLB as the example as it is U2's most recent studio album release. My statements about U2's selling power have been about ATYCLB and Elevation tours and to a lesser extent, POP and Popmart. Your only as popular as your latest product and Britney's latest product is not as popular or has sold as well as U2's latest product. (product meaning latest studio album of origional material)

U2 has been selling albums like hotcakes, especially relative to their concert ticket sales. If selling 12 million copies of ATYCLB is not considered to be a large selling album, then currently there really is no such thing as a large selling album. Only a handfull of artist have been able to sell slighty more than ATYCLB over the past 4 years.

Worldwide, U2's album sales do Exceed Avril's, which brings me to my final point. Unlike a number of the artist above, U2's marketing is focused on the planet as a whole, not just the USA which is only 30% of the Global market.

There currently is no other artist on the planet that has as good an average of high album sales on their latest Studio release and Concert ticket sales as U2 does. That is why U2 is currently the most popular band in the world.

mayflower,

"But the truth is that they are a lot more popular."

Since they don't sell as many album/concert tickets as U2, I don't see how you can say that. Popularity is determined by album sales and concert ticket sales. Shania and Britney may get more TV coverage, but that is not music popularity, but more celebrity status which is something very different.

"Let's face it.
U2 are just gonna be fuck-ups as far as album sales are concerned(this new year).
Sorry,but that's how I feel.
We aren't going to be seeing any satisfactory numbers,trust me."

And what do you base this on? If its based on the last album and tour, I'd say your wrong since both were top sellers.

Its really impossible to predict how a new album will do. I would be much more confident if they had released the new album about 18 months after ATYCLB in April 2002. If they had, I'd say would have gotten a repeat of ATYCLB success or something even a little more successful.

As we approach the 3 and half year mark now since ATYCLB release, things have cooled down a bit, and U2 will have to work as hard as they did on ATYCLB promotion and Elevation tour in order to get the best commercial results.

At a minimum, the album will sell 6 million copies, maximum it will probably hit 12 million repeating ATYCLB huge success.

"We aren't going to be seeing any satisfactory numbers,trust me."

What do you consider to be satisfactory numbers?

Something like 3 million according to RIAA standards.The kinds of numbers that "artists" like Britney,Justin etc. can easily come up with.

STING,

Why do you think those artists have such a poor touring average? Norah Jones, I don't know how she's sold that many albums, but she can't play a small arena with it selling out. Same goes for 50Cent and Britney too. Justin and Christina Aguilera didn't have all sellouts and didn't they even cancel a show this summer because of poor sales?

We saw the Stripped/Justified tour, which in theory should have been huge, but wasn't as successful as you'd think. I think now those American Idol kids (Clay and Kelly) are co-headlining. Do you think they'll be able to sell out their venues (they're playing arenas, same size as Elevation Tour), and are these co-headlining tours a ploy to get sell out dates that those people couldn't get on their own? Plus, if they stick two new, hot sellers together and can't sell out shows, why is that?

It really seems like live shows are a matter of enjoyment for rock fans, and the rest flounder in comparison. I've always wondered why.

I dare say that Britney and Justin will not be selling jack squat in 20 years unless its hamburgers at Mickie D's. Most popular artists never achieve status as a legendary musical act like U2 has. Where are the Backstreet Boys and N'Sync now? They were the flavor of the month a few years ago but not now. I doubt that most of the current pop icons will be around selling millions of albums in 20 years, similar to U2. Maybe one or 2 of the current acts may make a long career out of it, but if you follow music history, even that is not likely.

I saw a statistic that only like 5% of all albums released every year (taking into account all musical genres) even go gold (500,000 units) and less than that go platinum. For a band to sell 4 million albums in the US and 3 times that worldwide, more than 25 years after they began is astonishing.

For those who like to guarantee that U2 won't sell much with their new album, there is absolutely no reason to be able to predict their sales. Their sales will mostly reflect how well the marketing machine works for them (songs on the radio, magazine articles, posters, ads, etc.) This has worked well in the past but not in all cases (POP's poor US sales). It did work very well for ATYCLB. Generally, the artists that get heavily promoted by their record label are the ones that become popular. I CAN guarantee that Britney and Justin' record labels probably spent more promoting them then any other acts on the label, hence their huge sales.

anitram,

These "POP" artist have such poor concert selling averages compared to their album sales because they are really not as popular as their album sales suggest. People like a two or three of their songs and buy the album, but have no desire to pay the same amount of money or more to see them in concert for an hour or two. After a year, most will not even be listening to those "two or three songs".

The case of Norah Jones may be that she is a brand new artist on the block. Most artist with debut albums are lucky if they can sellout a theater.

As far as the American Idol acts touring together, I doubt they would be able to fully sellout Arena's. Most of the people who go to the show will probably be star struck kids trying to meet that person they always see on TV. It is indeed a ploy to achieve a sellout when they try and line up mulitple acts of the same sales caliber on the same bill. They can't sellout because their brand new, and also because their popularity is actually based on only a few songs. Who wants to pay 30 or 40 Bucks to hear some these artist lype synch the two or three songs they like by the artist. Most are not interested in doing that.

Achtung was not released until the end of 1991 and actually has sold more than Vanilla Ice's debut.

You're talking world wide right? cause in the US, I thought Ice did like 6-7 million. U2 didn't sell 6-7 million copies of AB in the US, did they?

Here's the info from the RIAA website (http://www.riaa.com)

U2 ACHTUNG BABY 10/24/97 ISLAND M (8) ALBUM GROUP Std

So, on 24 October 1997 AB was last recertified, with having shipped 8 million copies.

And here's the info for Vanilla Ice's album:
VANILLA ICE TO THE EXTREME 01/09/91 SBK M (7) ALBUM SOLO Std

So this one was last recertified on 9 January 1991 (the album was released in 1990, not 1991) for 7 million copies. I don't know if any people found it worthy to spend their hard-earned cash on this album after this date though... (Interestingly, there are no Vanilla Ice certifications after 29 October 1991 :wink: ).

C ya!

Marty

Compilation albums usually don't sell as well as new-material albums, so I'm not concerned with the numbers from their latest, particularly as it contained much material from the (relatively) commercially weak albums Pop and Zooropa. I think Sting is right, I mean, hell, if these other artists can't sell out arenas, that's pretty lame. U2 can still sell out arenas in a matter of hours. Why did I go nuts trying to get arena tickets for the last tour? Because they were so f:censored:g hard to get, that's why! Zillions of people wanted those things!

This whole thread simply amazes me. Although it's certainly understandable to be concerned that a band you like and admire receives the acclaim due them, worrying if U2 sells a few million fewer albums than last time seems positively ludicrous. By now the band members are financially set enough where the mark of a successful album should be great songs, not just great sales. And lets face it, as noted in many of the posts in this thread, many top selling albums are not "great" albums.

Generally what sells very well is mediocre (and there are always notable exceptions to this, of course) because what the vast majority of people like is what is in the middle (applies to nearly everything). A great album artistically, by it's very greatness, is not in the middle, and therefore faces a tough sell right off. So don't worry so much if "everyone" doesn't buy this upcoming album...if it's wonderful and you love it...well, isn't that what it's all about anyway?

indra said:
This whole thread simply amazes me. Although it's certainly understandable to be concerned that a band you like and admire receives the acclaim due them, worrying if U2 sells a few million fewer albums than last time seems positively ludicrous. By now the band members are financially set enough where the mark of a successful album should be great songs, not just great sales. And lets face it, as noted in many of the posts in this thread, many top selling albums are not "great" albums.

Generally what sells very well is mediocre (and there are always notable exceptions to this, of course) because what the vast majority of people like is what is in the middle (applies to nearly everything). A great album artistically, by it's very greatness, is not in the middle, and therefore faces a tough sell right off. So don't worry so much if "everyone" doesn't buy this upcoming album...if it's wonderful and you love it...well, isn't that what it's all about anyway?

It is no more ludicrous than someone wishing their baseball, basketball or football team would score those final points etc. The Music industry and the charts are just as much games as the NFL is.

STING2 said:

It is no more ludicrous than someone wishing their baseball, basketball or football team would score those final points etc. The Music industry and the charts are just as much games as the NFL is.

Ah. I guess that's why I find it ludicrous and you don't. I don't think of music as a game, or musicians as players in a game. I suppose that's why most of the musicians and bands I like are on the periphery of the music business -- they want to make a living, but are more concerned with turning out great music than great record sales. Very, very few can do both. And very often one must choose -- I choose those who turn out great music.

Last edited:
indra said:

Ah. I guess that's why I find it ludicrous and you don't. I don't think of music as a game, or musicians as players in a game. I suppose that's why most of the musicians and bands I like are on the periphery of the music business -- they want to make a living, but are more concerned with turning out great music than great record sales. Very, very few can do both. And very often one must choose -- I choose those who turn out great music.

I did not say music was a game, I said the "Music Industry" can be a game! I hope you understand the difference. Just because one follows the music charts and sales does not mean they are not interested in great music. Many of the artist I listen to have never had a Gold or Platinum record or even soldout a 3,000 seat theater on their own. But at the same time, I recognize that just because an artist is popular does not mean their music is junk. That is to often the formula spouted by those who only worship the indie scene and fail to recognize good music that receives heavy exposure. If you get played on the radio a lot to many people on the "periphery" claim your junk, regardless of whether that is actually the case or not. What is also rubish are artist who claim to be "underground" and on the "periphery" yet are signed to a major record lable and receiving extensive support. shhhhhh........don't let anyone find out.

To sum up, following whats happening in the "Music Industry" is totally different area than simply "Music". The Music industry is the business side of things and this forum here was set up to discuss that and U2's place in it. There are plenty of other forums here which discuss U2's music and other artist music.

Back
Top Bottom