U218 - Week 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Australia very good news, at #2, knocked off the top by a new release by an artist that always sells by the truck-load.

Must have been very good sales this week, after being certified 2xPlat last week, this week it is 3xPlat (210k shipped)!!!!
First week was 42k, I guessed 30k for last week, this week maybe 30-35k???
This album is doing fantastically here, it is selling better than what HTDAAB was at this point.

Saints drops from #7 to #31!!! not sure what that is about, but last week it was #4 on the download chart (which contributes to the singles chart) and this week it is not in top 50... very strange.

UK SALES

199185 Take That
134074 Oasis
123812 Westlife
119078 Il Divo
105672 U2 (Total in 3 weeks: 292494)
91057 Beatles (6)

Last edited:
Tallarico said:
UK SALES

199185 Take That
134074 Oasis
123812 Westlife
119078 Il Divo
105672 U2 (Total in 3 weeks: 292494)
91057 Beatles (6)

blimey best week in sales figures for UK!

So just as Tuesday's mid-weeks predicted...& a 23% increase is actually frigging good. I'm well happy with that. & Oasis dropped by 14%...my o my. If it continues like this U2 will actually be # 2 next week ! he he

thats shockingly good. i think #3 next week. looks set to sell 1/2M by end of the year. at this rate by Nov 07, it could be up to 1M, (bout the same as Bomb was after a year)!!

this albums doing very well everywhere now, apart from the US:huh:

OMG UK sales are shocking me , the US are letting this album down.

I think we might be top #3 come Christmas

IFPI Platinum Europe Awards - November 2006

New Beatles album scoops Platinum Award within first month of release

December 11, 2006

The Beatles are back. Their new album Love has sold more than a million copies in Europe during its first two weeks - scooping the Fab Four an IFPI Platinum Europe Award more than 40 years after the release of their first album Please Please Me.

After being asked by Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, along with Yoko Ono and Olivia Harrison, to make experimental mixes from the Beatles master tapes for a collaboration on a new Cirque du Soleil show, legendary producer Sir George Martin and his son Giles worked with the entire archive of Beatles recordings to create the unique soundscape that is Love. The last studio release from The Beatles was Let It Be in 1970, but their greatest hits title 1 has achieved a phenomenal eight Platinum Europe Awards since its release in the year 2000.

U2's latest album also sold one million copies across the continent within its first month of release. U218 Singles is a compilation of their greatest hits and includes current single The Saints Are Coming, recorded with Green Day. The Irish group released their first album in 1980 and have gone on to become one of the world's biggest bands. Their recent Vertigo world tour is now the second biggest grossing tour of all time, second only to The Rolling Stones' A Bigger Bang.

Gnarls Barkley's debut album St. Elsewhere gains its first Platinum Europe Award for sales of more than one million copies. The duo took the single charts across Europe by storm earlier this year with their first release from the album. Crazy made UK chart history by becoming the first Number One single on download sales alone and has picked up a series of accolades including Best Song at November's MTV Europe Awards. The American group is a collaboration between producer Danger Mouse and the rapper Cee-Lo.

Grammy Award winner Justin Timberlake also sees his latest album FutureSex/LoveSounds sell its first million in Europe. This is the second solo release from the former 'N Sync member, after 2002 hit Justified. The album includes singles Sexyback and My Love, and features Timbaland, rapper TI and Black Eyed Peas' will.i.am. FutureSex/LoveSounds has been Number One both sides of the Atlantic and Timberlake will be touring extensively through 2007.

Meanwhile, sales of Katie Melua's album Piece by Piece go from strength to strength, as sales across the continent surpass the three million mark to achieve a third Platinum Europe Award. The September 2005 release is the second album from the singer-songwriter and follow-up to debut Call Off The Search. The 22-year-old is the UK's biggest selling female artist and has also achieved the most Platinum Europe Awards by a European female solo artist this year.

ARTIST ALBUM TITLE COMPANY AWARD LEVEL

GNARLS BARKLEY ST. ELSEWHERE WARNER MUSIC 1
JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE FUTURESEX/LOVESOUNDS SONY BMG 1
THE BEATLES LOVE EMI 1
U2 U218 SINGLES UNIVERSAL 1

IFPI

Of course the IFPI figure relates to a shipment- rather than sales to customers. Interesting that Westlife or Oasis don't figure here.

Mike

Re: IFPI

mikeuk said:
Of course the IFPI figure relates to a shipment- rather than sales to customers. Interesting that Westlife or Oasis don't figure here.

Mike

But it say's its sold 1million , not shipped 1 million.

:huh:

Not a bad result really...its getting steady sales in what I must consider to be a relitively weak U2 market for CD sales anyway. Touring they make a lot of cash their though but relitively it is still pretty weak compaired to the rest of the world....anything in the + area for U2 in the US is a good thing at this point

Re: Re: IFPI

vaz02 said:

But it say's its sold 1million , not shipped 1 million.

:huh:

They mean `sold' to retailers -= the same as shipped. We know it hasn't sold 1m in Europe yet, in fact it hasn't officially sold 1m worldwide yet- although that figure should be passed when mediatraffic report on Friday

Mike

japan 01[14](13)Love-Beatles(25,856)[153,420]
02[18](14)U2 18 Singles-U2(20,032)[91,138]
03[19](16)Stop The Clocks-Oasis(19,416)[177,411]

Re: Re: Re: IFPI

mikeuk said:

They mean `sold' to retailers -= the same as shipped. We know it hasn't sold 1m in Europe yet, in fact it hasn't officially sold 1m worldwide yet- although that figure should be passed when mediatraffic report on Friday

Mike

Ok cheers for clearing things up man.

#9 in Spain with 80,000 copies sold (PLATINUM).

2-5-9

Saints #3 after 5 weeks at #1.

U218 VIDEOS, #11 (#6), after 3 weeks.

2-6-11

Vox

Back
Top Bottom