U218 SINGLES - Hits, second Week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
35% #27 25,000.

absolute crap, amazes that in the uk it only had a 20% drop, yet in US that looks like being more in the range of 120%

I don't know why you all seem surprised about the outcome...

It's pretty obvious, this greatest hits was totally unecessary. And judging by its sales, the fans don't disagree about that.

ybird3k said:
35% #27 25,000.

absolute crap, amazes that in the uk it only had a 20% drop, yet in US that looks like being more in the range of 120%

120% drop? If ~140,000 copies were sold last week, in order to have a 120% drop, that means that not only were zero additional copies sold this week, but that ~30,000 copies were returned! Cool! ;)

The pattern we are seeing is very typical of Thanksgiving/post-Thanksgiving week. Remember, the sales we are seeing now are for last week, which was post Thanksgiving week. That week always has a bit of a lull. Remember, even HTDAAB had a huge second week drop.

But as December marches on, sales will pick up. I wouldn't be surprised to see sales climb to 100-200K for the week before Christmas and then down to 75-100K for Christmas week. For example, despite the huge second week drop for HTDAAB, it actually rose back up the charts to #3 thanks to pre-Christmas sales.

However, as was stated, this "Best Of" is really too early and unnecessary. ATYCLB and HTDAAB were not only big selling albums that everyone owns, but they were recently released. Older fans already have the 1980's "Best Of". The 90's "Best Of" didn't sell that well, but still, that only came out 4 years ago!

I realize that U2 just wanted to complete this contract, but I think the record label only hurt itself by moving so fast. If they had waited a while longer, this CD could have been like the Beatles' "1" a few years back. Instead, it's a premature release.

Still, barring "1", most best of albums don't sell tons early on - they do well in catalog sales. It's very possible we'll see "U218" replacing the 1980's "Best Of" in the catalog charts in the months to come.

Last edited:
Bomb dropped off from 850,000 being a new album, not from 140,000 being a compilation released as a holiday gift, hopefully it picks up because that's harsh.

Yea I think alot of people now consider U2's status as God like on the charts, and anything that doesnt sell over 400k is a failure in their eyes.

well its true, its their right to sell 400k, lol.

just a shame sometimes to see the 'lack of success' they have in the US compared to everywhere else

I wouldnt say its a lack of success, just a different type of success. They have big first single success, and first week album success, and than it just kinda floats on the charts until they win a grammy, etc... Compared to most bands their age, they get as much exposer as most new bands, minus the poppy mtv trl stuff.

Back
Top Bottom