U2´s bomb explodes at #1 in the US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ckonanz

The Fly
Billboard, December 01, 2004

Margo Whitmire

U2 earns its sixth No. 1 on The Billboard 200 this week with "How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb." The Interscope set nearly doubled the band's previous best SoundScan era sales week (1991-present), moving 840,000 U.S. copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

In 2000, the Irish quartet's Grammy-winning "All That You Can't Leave Behind" entered at No. 3 on sales of 428,000 copies; the set has a to-date total of 4.2 million.

U2 ends the two-week chart reign of labelmate Eminem's "Encore" (Shady/Aftermath/Interscope), which drops to No. 2 on a 46% tilt to sales of 471,000 copies. As previously reported, U2 also terminated the rapper's three-week stint at the top of the U.K. album chart, where "Atomic Bomb" landed at No. 1 after an international Nov. 22 release on Island.

The album's arrival was heralded by first single "Vertigo," which is featured in Apple Computer's iPod/iTunes TV commercial. The track spent four weeks atop Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks list, where it holds this week at No. 3. Additionally, the band made a series of high profile appearances in the week leading up to the album's release, including a performance on NBC's "Saturday Night Live" and an unannounced free outdoor show in New York.

U2, which first went to No. 1 on The Billboard 200 with 1990's "The Joshua Tree," has a worldwide sales total of more than 120 million, according to Interscope.

complete article..
h ttp://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=3665

Great news but you would think they would know when JT was released. 1990? - c'mon

U2@NYC said:
Way to go. :yes:

(although I feel this thread needs to go to Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills).

Nah. We'll have enough of those there. This needs to be available for the masses that only come here to rejoice in. :yes:

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

I'm so pleasantly surprised and impressed by this news!!! Fantastically fit!

I just wish that other, BETTER albums from the past would've sold this well, you know? I mean, to each his/her own....but I woulda' been the world's happiest man if Pop had moved units in America like this album is.

What does everyone think it'll do in this upcoming week? I imagine there'll be a close to 50% falloff cuz I'm highly skeptical....anyone else? It could very well continue to benefit VERY VERY VERY strongly from the holiday shopping season...the success of "All Because Of You" on US radio will also be of utmost importance.

U2's total sales in the US for this album will pass POP in the second week lol

great news, not only beating EM, but also basically doubling his numbers for the week. Good stuff, this album deserves it. It's getting some negative stuff (although I think some people r making too much of it, its overwhelmingly on the positive side) but I think it deserves these sales, I think it is one of their greatest albums.

Is "All Because Of You" already out to radio stations?

I've already heard it a couple times on XM satellite.

edgeu22 said:
Is "All Because Of You" already out to radio stations?

I've already heard it a couple times on XM satellite.

I heard ABOY just the other day on the radio while driving. Definitely had to take advantage and blasted it with the windows rolled down. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom