U2 Royalties vs Others

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoobeatle

The Fly
Just wondering what other bands royalties are compared to U2s 25%, just for example someone like Oasis or Coldplay.

zoobeatle said:
Just wondering what other bands royalties are compared to U2s 25%, just for example someone like Oasis or Coldplay.

I've not seen any reports on that, so I don't know. Obviously, your rock band that writes their own songs will usually get a better royalty rate than someone brought into the industry from American Idol.

Some bands are very good at the business side of things...for example Metallica (when it comes to exploiting their tours)

I think U2 are one of them as well.

From what I've seen, PMcG seems to have a good handle on things, for example they renegotiated their original contract with Island, to include shares in the record company. For Island it was a smart way to hang on to their biggest act for a while.

Around the time of R&H, Island was purchased for ~500Mil$ by Polygram (then a division of Philips Electronics) meaning they (U2) got a huge sum for their shares. Philips was interested in Island exactly because of U2. The only other major artist on Island being Bob Marley.

Back
Top Bottom