U2 Ltd. reports loss for 2003

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Not sure where to post this. Sorry if I'm wrong.

U2 Wages Down as Firm Reports Loss

Sunday Independent, November 30, 2003

Nick Webb

Bono and his fellow rock stars in U2 saw their salaries paid from one of their companies tumble from more than ?13.2m in 2001 to a mere ?49,309 last year. This is unlikely to have caused any great hardship for Bono, the Edge, Larry Mullen and Adam Clayton as their combined wealth has been estimated at about ?635m.

U2 Ltd., the company controlled by Bono and the other band members, reported losses of nearly ?3.5m last year compared with a small profit a year earlier. Turnover at the company, which describes its income as coming from the sale of master tapes and video tapes, sank from over ?17m in 2001 to just ?1.78m last year. U2 Ltd. has accumulated losses of just under ?10m, according to the latest accounts filed in the Companies office.

In 2001 the band embarked on the hugely lucrative Elevation tour, although sales of a second greatest hits album last year were somewhat disappointing. The band spent ?203,000 on video shoots last year compared with ?886,000 in 2001. Wardrobe expenses rose from a mere ?3,701 to ?28,735. Album costs passed the ?896,000 mark as the catering bill dropped to ?1,069. Producer fees also dipped, falling from ?2.32m to just over ?1.7m.

The band spent absolutely nothing on entertainments in 2002, compared with ?11,394 in the previous year.

The accounts also note that the company suffered a ?456,000 loss on foreign exchange over two years. It is one of a number of small financial reverses that hit the business. Bad debts totalled ?95,000 over two years, while there was also a hefty ?396,000 bill for flood damage.

U2 Ltd., is owned by Not Us Ltd., which was carrying losses of ?17.3m last year largely due to the movement of money and loans through the complex U2 corporate structure.

There also appears to have been some change in the ownership structure of the Clarence Hotel. Brushfield, which is involved with the hotel, was transferred from group ownership. "As a result of the transfer of Brushfield from the group the entire debt owed from Brushfield of ?3.77m was assigned to the directors of the company."

? Irish Independent, 2003.

Somebody please tell me what this means? Have U2 album sales dropped an incredible amount? And is this a sign of bad days to come, what with the new album and tour on the way?

I'm sure someone will be keen to analyse this and explain it in detail. It looks like their outgoings were more than the incoming which happens. They haven't really done much in 2003 to rake in the dollars they can sometimes get. I dont think this necessarily applies to them, but I know over here a busniess is stupid to run at a profit and any accountant worth their salt will show the books in the red only. Tax etc.

I wouldn't be too concerned though.

Hello,

I would second Angela's advise not to be concerned. Although I don't know any specifics, there will probably be a lot of money-shifting throughout the U2 organisation. Keep in mind that U2 Ltd. does not equal U2 itself (or the band members individually). As the report indicated, U2 Ltd. in turn is owned by Not Us Ltd. and there are a whole lot of other organisations connected to U2.
Of interest is also this line: Turnover at the company, which describes its income as coming from the sale of master tapes and video tapes
So U2 Ltd. earns money by selling master tapes. Not album sales, or DVD sales, but the sales of the actual master of a recording. In short, this is a very limited scope to earn your income. However, the expenses vary widely and most of them probably have nothing to do with the scope of the company. I mean, wardrope expenses? Catering bills?

No, good luck to the person who can unravel the company structure that makes up the U2 organisation. ;)

C ya!

Marty

Back
Top Bottom