u2 in festivals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if any band deserved to play a woodstock festival ( not 1999 one, but something on a smaller scale with old bands) it would be u2. thier more then worthy to be on par with crosby stills and nash and dylan and whoever else

Since 1987, U2 decline invitations to perform in any major festivals until Slane, that in fact was a U2's shows with special support acts.

Vox

Axver said:
Weren't U2 a headline act at Ireland's Self Aid?

Yes, but this concert take place in 1986. U2 also headline Torhout/Werchter Festivals in 1985, Longest Day en UK '85 and others.. They play some festivals during the summers of 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1985 and lead the first dates of Conspiracy Of Hope Tour in 1986.

Vox

so, should they headline any festivals? like glastonbury or rock am ring (germany) what do you think?

No. Why should they? They're big enough to headline concerts that massive on their own. And when they hold their own concerts, then they're in control of everything (support acts, prices, costs, etc.).

all_i_want said:
so, should they headline any festivals? like glastonbury or rock am ring (germany) what do you think?

FWIW....Bono has said in a couple of fairly recent interviews that they will be playing Glastonbury at some point. In that interview where they're driving around with Cat Deeland (I don't think I'm getting her name exactly right), he said "we're doing it, we have to, (?) but probably in 2006. :shrug:

U2 played many festivals in early 80's for a promotional reason: TV broadcast and play in front of a big audience. Now, being he biggest band in the world, they don't need this festivals.

Vox

that's right, that's correct.
plus, consider this: at festivals you dont have your own stage, your own lights, your own security....remember what happened to PJ in 2000?
the biggest acts in the world just don't play festivals. bruce doesn't, the stones don't, and so on.
the only exception: Macca at Glasto 04.

Back
Top Bottom