U2 Chart/Sales Statistics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Two recent articles put album sales for NLOTH at 5.5M...can't remember where I read it, but that was the figure sited by two separate magazines/papers, who also noted that by "U2 Standards", the sales figure for the album was a disappointment.

I really didn't like Bono's statement about the album being "too artsy". Hated it back in 1997 when he started making excuses for Pop not being finished...along with another comment during a concert in 2001 apologizing for them (U2) going all "artsy fartsy" on their fans in the 1990's.

To me, I liked both albums and I really liked Pop songs in concert...especially Mofo, Please, and Gone. NLOTH is one of my favorite U2 albums, period. It's clear that it really matters to Bono, and perhaps the entire band, that they remain "popular", and they measure that by big sales and big hits. Being a chart-watcher, I want U2 to do well on the airplay and sales charts, but I don't like the apologizing from the band when sales don't blow away the industry. 99.9% of the bands in this world would give anything to be even half as successful as U2, and they are by far and away the most successful live act on the planet (when you consider demand/sales AND the performance they deliver IMHO).

Just wish they would not make excuses when album sales are not up to "their" standards. Bono's usually bragging with each album release that "this is our best ever" or "we are onto something really big with this record", and if they feel that way before the album comes out, then stand by it regardless of sales (which aren't "bad, anyway).

End of rant.

Two recent articles put album sales for NLOTH at 5.5M...can't remember where I read it, but that was the figure sited by two separate magazines/papers, who also noted that by "U2 Standards", the sales figure for the album was a disappointment.

I really didn't like Bono's statement about the album being "too artsy". Hated it back in 1997 when he started making excuses for Pop not being finished...along with another comment during a concert in 2001 apologizing for them (U2) going all "artsy fartsy" on their fans in the 1990's.

To me, I liked both albums and I really liked Pop songs in concert...especially Mofo, Please, and Gone. NLOTH is one of my favorite U2 albums, period. It's clear that it really matters to Bono, and perhaps the entire band, that they remain "popular", and they measure that by big sales and big hits. Being a chart-watcher, I want U2 to do well on the airplay and sales charts, but I don't like the apologizing from the band when sales don't blow away the industry. 99.9% of the bands in this world would give anything to be even half as successful as U2, and they are by far and away the most successful live act on the planet (when you consider demand/sales AND the performance they deliver IMHO).

Just wish they would not make excuses when album sales are not up to "their" standards. Bono's usually bragging with each album release that "this is our best ever" or "we are onto something really big with this record", and if they feel that way before the album comes out, then stand by it regardless of sales (which aren't "bad, anyway).

End of rant.

Believe, I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said. That is also the reason why nearly half of the NLOTH songs were dropped from the setlist. I appreciate they´re playing unreleased songs though.
As for album sales, I guess we can take the 5-5.5 M figure as total shipped copies which, in the end, is what really matters.
As for the supposed flop, that´s nonsense and U2 should know better. If we take into account the ever dwindling album sales, 5.5 M in 2009-2010 is not too far from 10 M in 2004-2005, that is the HTDAAB era, an album deemed as extremely successful. Last time I checked sales for Viva la Vida were at 8 M. And this is probably the most successful rock album in the last few of years. Also, it was released in 2008 where global sales were nearly 20% higher than in 2009, the year NLOTH was released.
I think the main problem with NLOTH was the lack of a hit single a la BD or Vertigo and, in a minor degree, the disastrous marketing campaign.

updated sales figures ?

the tour press PDF (aee news atu2) has a couple of interesting figures. Within the commentary itb states u2 has sold in excess of 155m albums and later on states 160m ! A sep quote from another article on atu2 PM says NLOTH sold roughly 5m - so from that I take it shipped just short of that figure Mike

Can somebody post the Year-end Top 100 concert grosses from Amusement Business for the years 1992, 1993, 1997 and 1998? It's to compare the Zoo TV and Popmart grosses with other tours from other artists in these periods.

The �'s in DoctorWho's post made my eye's hurt, but he's put so much time and effort into that post.

I thought that what they said about Mel Gibson's reaction to MDH was false according to his agent. Beside's if he didn't like it, why did he star in it and buy the rights for the script?

The �'s in DoctorWho's post made my eye's hurt, but he's put so much time and effort into that post.

I didn't put in any �'s. LOL!

I made that post a few years ago. Interference has changed a lot since then (although the blue background has remained). As a result of ever changing servers and formatting, somehow those �'s popped up. :shrug:

Does anyone know how many countries The Unforgettable Fire album debuted at number one in 1984? Would be interesting to find out what kind of impact Pride had on the album.

Cool, thanks. Am I right in thinking it eventually climbed to number one in Belgium and Holland when the Unforgettable Fire Tour hit those countries?

Nope. At least not for the Netherlands. The Unforgettable Fire never reached #1 over here.

Nope. At least not for the Netherlands. The Unforgettable Fire never reached #1 over here.

According to dutchcharts.nl it did reach #1 in its 2nd week. However, i didn't know there where 2 album charts in Holland. In the other chart it peaked at #4. I don't know what's the reason that there are 2 charts here in Holland.

found this on Billboard.com

Rock Airplay
*** No. 1 (2 weeks)*** "Team" Lorde
Greatest Gainer No. 12 "Invisible" U2
Debut No. 44 "Take Out The Gunman" Chevelle
Debut No. 49 "Dead But Rising" Volbeat

Back
Top Bottom