U2 albums on the Catalog chart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maoilbheannacht

Refugee
Someone over at the UKMIX FORUMS posted the top 200 catalog albums in the United States for the week ending May 31, 2009, or the Billboard week two weeks ago.

U2 has two albums on the Catalog chart in the USA:

U2 BEST OF U2-1980-90 at #6 with 5,342 copies sold that week. TOTAL SOUNDSCAN SALES in USA: 3,097,898

U2 U218 SINGLES at #165 with 1,309 copies sold that week. TOTAL SOUNDSCAN SALES in USA: 997,207

The #200 album that week sold 1,189 copies. That album was Hank Williams Jr. THAT'S HOW THEY DO IT IN DIXIE

So, any other U2 albums with the exception of "No Line On The Horizon" sold less than 1,189 copies that week.

With the #200 Catalog album now only selling barely 1,000 copies, this just goes to show how much the music business has collapsed in the United States.

So '18' has done 52k so far this year in US & '80's' about the same

In UK '18' has done 95k so far this year

So 18 Singles will be 1x Platinum in a couple of weeks? Even before NLOTH.

Last edited:
What's the reason for the big increase for Best of 80-90?

This has just been a consistent seller for U2.

Instead of people buying JT - which was a big catalog album for U2 - they now buy this release. It gives them all of their favorite JT era songs, as well as the big hits from other albums. I know if I were a new fan, I'd buy this release over any album (as new fans won't know the albums). Plus people like the hit songs - this combines them all.

Unfortunately, the "90's Best Of" hasn't been as kind as U2 really had the songs from AB become a big hit. My guess is that AB probably sells about as well as the "90's Best Of".

Back
Top Bottom