U2 360 Boxscore Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is only the second time I've posted on these boards, but since we're on the topic of tour costs/how much money U2 will make, I thought I might throw in my two cents.

I'm not sure how this new Live Nation deal works, but there are typically 4 different types of fee structure employed in tour contracts. Artists can be paid a straight percentage of the gross per show, a guaranteed fee per show, a guarantee vs percentage (whichever is greater) or a guarantee plus percentage.

With all of these arrangements the promoter will pay the act whatever they're due and keep the rest. The act and the promoter each then pay their expenses from what money they receive. The costs the promoter is responsible for are usually the venue fees (could be a guaranteed fee, percentage of gross or combination of these) as well as paying local stagehands to help with load in and load out, security, catering etc. These cost can run up pretty high. I have read that it cost the promoter $1.2 million to put on one of the Rolling Stone's Bigger Bang stadium shows in Canada in 2005.

The artist is usually responsible for costs like travel, accomodation, paying their crew, maybe the equipment they use for the shows, the stage, transport for the stage and equipment etc.

I've always assumed that for this tour U2 would probably use a guarantee plus percentage deal. Live Nation would pay U2 a guarantee per show and then a percentage of net gross (probably 90%). The net gross would be calculated by taking the total gross, deducting applicable taxes, and then taking all of Live Nation's expenses (including U2's guarantee), plus a 15% (or thereabouts) profit margin and deducting this from the after tax gross. Whatever's left U2 get 90% of and Live Nation take the rest.

I figured using this arrangement, U2 will probably take around 65% of the gross from the tour. From this they would then deduct their expenses which include the $750,000 a day operating costs plus the startup costs including insurance, legal fees, rehearsal costs and the stages. I would guess these startup costs to be $50-$100 million considering the cost of building the 3 claws and the extent of their production rehearsals in the stadium.

U2 will probably have to pay a 5% commission to their tour business manager as well from whatever's left once costs are deducted. Therefore all up I reckon U2 will make a profit of around 20%-35% of the total gross for this tour not including merchandise sales (of which U2 probably take about 55% after recieving royalties from their merchandise company and paying the house rate to the venue).

I should also say here that this is all just me speculating, I don't know much about the details of this Live Nation deal, so that could change things a lot. Also, I'm certainly no expert in these matters so I could be wrong on a lot of what I've said here. If you see anything that's incorrect, feel free to correct me.

The only thing that is for certain is what the band grosses per show. The exact arrangement, and what is involved in the "$750,000" daily cost or who exactly is paying it is not known.

I do know that starting with POPMART, U2's tour deals always involved a guarantee set fee they were payed. For POPMART that was $100 million dollars on a tour that grossed $171 million. The band are guaranteed that sum, and all risk are taken on by the promoter.

The Elevation tour grossed $143 million, but had much lower cost because it was an Arena tour. The Vertigo Tour grossed $389 million and consisted of Stadiums worldwide, but only Arena's in the USA/Canada.

This tour should gross around $700 million, and I would say that their guarantee or the amount they profit vs the gross has probably improved with each tour since POPMART. The band should be making several times what they made on POPMART 12 years ago. $700 million is nearly double of what they just did on Vertigo 4 years ago. Plus the size of the crew and number of trucks involved is not that much different from what it has been on past stadium legs.

But with the exception of the GROSS figures, the rest of this is really in the realm of speculation.

Not sure what people dont understand. Live nation is taking all the risk. Just like they did with M Jackson. They all make money as long as someone doesn't die. And in the case of MJ they are still going to make money with a stupid movie of Lype sync singing etc.
U2 have no worries or financial costs for this tour. All they do is show up and play and get a check when they finish. All the other rubish is ego playing on how many people most in a city etc etc.
The Boss will close down his own house with or with out u2 having the largest one time crowd. THe boss has the all time attendance record there and no one can touch it.
He might not have grossed as much $$ as u2 but I dont think that bothers the BOSS> remember he plays 2 1/2 to 3 hours a show so he makes a lot less for his time on stage.
Again all this ego check on $$ made etc is just rubbish. As I said before it has to be a little hard to make this much money when so many people are losing jobs homes cars etc. U2 might be next Goldman Sachs.
lol:wink:

From U2.com:

U2 smashed the house record tonight at Giants Stadium. The previous attendance record was held by Pope John Paul II after his visit to the stadium in 1995.

With gig goers in excess of 84472 it was a fantastic night at Giants. Speaking from the stage at the end of the night Bono said, "News just in. We've broken every record for attendance in this stadium - including the Pope. Sorry Bruce - we know its your birthday and all". Before adding later, "I know they're knocking this place down...we probably won't be here again before the wrecking ball but it was a magic place for us as well as the Giants"

------------------

Vox

Not sure what people dont understand. Live nation is taking all the risk. Just like they did with M Jackson. They all make money as long as someone doesn't die. And in the case of MJ they are still going to make money with a stupid movie of Lype sync singing etc.
U2 have no worries or financial costs for this tour. All they do is show up and play and get a check when they finish.

I think I mentioned that U2 have been touring with a guaranteed set fee since POPMART with the promoter taking all the risk if any. Before POPMART, U2 did not work with a single promoter or promotion company. They actually worked with local promoters in each city they played.

All the other rubish is ego playing on how many people most in a city etc etc.

Its not rubish, its a business and the BOSS engages in that business too.

The Boss will close down his own house with or with out u2 having the largest one time crowd. THe boss has the all time attendance record there and no one can touch it.

For multiple shows, not for a single night. To match what U2 did on a single night, the BOSS would have to build his own CLAW. The most people the BOSS ever played to at GIANTS stadium was 66,000 back in 1985 on the Born In The USA tour. U2 reportedly had over 84,000 the first night, but we need to see the boxscores before we can confirm that.

As for the multiple shows, yes the BOSS has the record, its his own backyard. Virtually anywhere else on the planet, U2 would beat the BOSS in attendance and gross for one show or multiple shows.

He might not have grossed as much $$ as u2 but I dont think that bothers the BOSS> remember he plays 2 1/2 to 3 hours a show so he makes a lot less for his time on stage.

He is in the music business and is out to make as much money has he can just like U2. Its just that U2 is more successful when it comes to making money because they are more popular.

Again all this ego check on $$ made etc is just rubbish.

Nope its the music business and THE BOSS is deeply involved in it.

As I said before it has to be a little hard to make this much money when so many people are losing jobs homes cars etc.

So are you saying Bruce Springsteen should lower his ticket prices, stop touring for a while etc?

From U2.com:

U2 smashed the house record tonight at Giants Stadium. The previous attendance record was held by Pope John Paul II after his visit to the stadium in 1995.

With gig goers in excess of 84472 it was a fantastic night at Giants. Speaking from the stage at the end of the night Bono said, "News just in. We've broken every record for attendance in this stadium - including the Pope. Sorry Bruce - we know its your birthday and all". Before adding later, "I know they're knocking this place down...we probably won't be here again before the wrecking ball but it was a magic place for us as well as the Giants"

------------------

Vox

So how did the second night do? I wonder if it had equal attendance numbers. When the boxscore comes out, it will show the combined attendance for both nights.

Looks like if U2 does visit the New York City area next year, it won't be in GIANTS stadium. Perhaps they will play multiple stadium shows in Philadelphia and Hartford instead.

Looks like if U2 does visit the New York City area next year, it won't be in GIANTS stadium. Perhaps they will play multiple stadium shows in Philadelphia and Hartford instead.

Maybe U2 will play two nights in the new Meadowlands Stadium :hmm:

800px-Meadowlands_Sports_Complex_-_kingsley_-_04-JUL-09.JPG

Vox

dates found by someone off of eventful and notice East Rutherford july 24,25 2010 so maybe the new stadium is a probability:)....don't take these dates to the bank of course..just rumors.
2010 dates
Seattle June 19
Oakland June 22
San Diego June 25
Denver June 28
Minneapolis July 1
Green Bay July 3
Cleveland July 6
Detroit/East Lansing July 8
St. Louis July 10
Miami July 13
Philadelphia July 20
East Rutherford July 24 and 25

dates found by someone off of eventful and notice East Rutherford july 24,25 2010 so maybe the new stadium is a probability:)....don't take these dates to the bank of course..just rumors.
2010 dates
Seattle June 19
Oakland June 22
San Diego June 25
Denver June 28
Minneapolis July 1
Green Bay July 3
Cleveland July 6
Detroit/East Lansing July 8
St. Louis July 10
Miami July 13
Philadelphia July 20
East Rutherford July 24 and 25

:applaud::applaud::applaud:

Capacity of the new Meadowlands Stadium should be approximately 4000 more than the current Giants stadium. That means a potential U2 show in the round should be able to accommodate 88-89K.

Capacity of the new Meadowlands Stadium should be approximately 4000 more than the current Giants stadium. That means a potential U2 show in the round should be able to accommodate 88-89K.

Thank you! So if U2 finally play this stadium next year they will break yet another record.

I honestly wonder what hold U2 back from selling more GA tickets on this tour, if its paranoia it'll damage the market for seats, or fire-codes, because despite having the record for attendance at Giants Stadium, they still could have fit a number of people on the GA floor, especially if they actually had people surround the stage, this would be true in many big markets for this tour. Then we'd really have 360.

I honestly wonder what hold U2 back from selling more GA tickets on this tour, if its paranoia it'll damage the market for seats, or fire-codes, because despite having the record for attendance at Giants Stadium, they still could have fit a number of people on the GA floor, especially if they actually had people surround the stage, this would be true in many big markets for this tour. Then we'd really have 360.

Health and safety ?

Health and safety ?

I agree. That floor did have a lot of space towards the back but we forget that there are about 10,000 people jammed at the front. If there was a fire or something and the floor had 2x the people...OMG.

Anyway.....good answer:applaud:

That's what I assumed, I mentioned fire-codes. I just know that not having people behind the stage/filling the GA area is bait for nay-sayers to say it's not 'in the round' or that they can't sell that many tickets, you know? But safety before pride of course.

I spent more money on merchandise than I could afford. But it was worth it; gotta support the team

I think the team is doing well without you contributing more to the decline of the US economy by spending more money then you have.........Hoppefully we wont have to give you Tax Dollars to support your lifestyle like Goldman sachs....LOL:shifty:

I think the team is doing well without you contributing more to the decline of the US economy by spending more money then you have.........Hoppefully we wont have to give you Tax Dollars to support your lifestyle like Goldman sachs....LOL:shifty:

Its people spending money they havent got that keeps the economy ticking over, its the fear of a declining economy that causes people not to spend making it a self fulfilling prophecy. The problem being, the economy works in cycles, once in awhile the system needs rebooting * recession *.

Sorry to go off topic.

I didnt buy a shirt this tour, fucking queues were just too big.

new boxscores!

u2 boxscores usa!
giants stadium $16,128,950 161,810/161,810 2/2
soldier field $13,860,480 135,872/135,872 2/2
gillette stadium $12,859,778 138,805/138,805 2/2
rogers center $9,571,672 115,411/115,411 2/2

USA leg stats

USA leg 2009
Total gross $52,420,880
Total shows 8
Sold out 8
Attendance 551,898
Average attendance 68,987

looks like they sold the max. number of tickets for chicago and toronto, and for new york, looks like 77000 for NYC1 and 84000 for NYC2, and 72000 for Boston I, and 67000 for Boston II. Not bad, U2!

N.A. Leg 2009
Total number of shows-8
Number of sellouts-8
Total gross-$52,420,880
Average gross per show-$6,552,610
Average ticket price-$95
Total Attendance-551,898
Average Attendance-68,987

looks like they sold the max. number of tickets for chicago and toronto, and for new york, looks like 77000 for NYC1 and 84000 for NYC2, and 72000 for Boston I, and 67000 for Boston II. Not bad, U2!

yes funny these differences between shows at same location, while they are still both called sold out?

anyway, still very impressive numbers.

NYC 2 sold more than NYC 1, thought the first show would have done better. obviously these shows cant all be sell outs if one sells many thousands more than another at same venue. still its masivley impressive:applaud:

NYC 2 sold more than NYC 1, thought the first show would have done better. obviously these shows cant all be sell outs if one sells many thousands more than another at same venue. still its masivley impressive:applaud:

as has been explained several times on this thread :doh: ....jk, it is a very odd concept, but according to Billboard, the defintion of a sell-out is when the number of tickets sold = number of tickets put on sale. So, for example, NYC1 could have had a max. of 84000, but the promoters only released 77,000 tickets, which were all sold. Promoters release tickets in blocks, releasing more when the current blocks of tickets sell out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom