U2 360 Boxscore Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You missed the point entirely. The problem is not the topic, the problem was that both threads that were previously opened to discuss this topic turned into an irrelevant fight between you and another poster that no one wanted to read about. Several complaints from different users were received and a warning to given prior to the other thread being closed. If you read the FAQ it specifically says that threads should not be opened on the same topics of previously closed threads. That was why I posted a sticky so that at least members could get the information after your original thread was closed.

That is the point.

This thread is new, and not the same thread as the previous one because there are new boxscores available for Dublin and Amsterdam. If the problem is not the topic, it should be possible for anyone to start a thread about the topic if there is not one already active for it, yet you suggest that is not the case.

The sticky does not allow for anyone to update it except a mod, and there was no update despite the fact that new information had become available, so that is why this thread was started.

This thread is new, and not the same thread as the previous one because there are new boxscores available for Dublin and Amsterdam. If the problem is not the topic, it should be possible for anyone to start a thread about the topic if there is not one already active for it, yet you suggest that is not the case.

The sticky does not allow for anyone to update it except a mod, and there was no update despite the fact that new information had become available, so that is why this thread was started.

Let me make this perfectly clear.

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=rules

Starting additional threads with the same/similar subject of the closed threads (i.e. 'Spin-off' threads) is not allowed and may result in a warning/suspension from the forums.

I realize the sticky doesn't allow anyone to update it. That was the point. It would have updated eventually, maybe not the split second the new stats were up since I have a life outside of this forum.

Again, if this thread turns into the same discussion that's already been had between you and Moggio again, this and all future threads on this topic will be closed immediately.

You could get tickets to the Croke Park shows anytime you wanted them and actually very respectable seats to the 3rd show. Still good attendance but they could have done better and I dont believe it sold out as you could by tickets 2 hours before they took the stage on the website with many tickets available.

You could get tickets to the Croke Park shows anytime you wanted them and actually very respectable seats to the 3rd show. Still good attendance but they could have done better and I dont believe it sold out as you could by tickets 2 hours before they took the stage on the website with many tickets available.

Yes all of Croke Park concerts did sell out look at the OFFICAL box office stats! these are not a U2 company trying to make it look good they are official stats!

There is no point in arguing with you people, if you take a basic statisics class you can see how stats can be altered to make them look as good or as bad as you want them to be. What I am stating is a fact you could get tickets to any of the 3 concerts 2 hours before the show started. If Boxscore counts this as a sell out I guess their definition of "Sell Out" and mine are 2 different things.

I came to the conclusion U2 could do no wrong in here long ago, I stated that it was still impressive what they were able to accomplish grossing over 100 million in 13 shows is an impressive feat. However U2s management especially since after Popmart will do anything to make shows appear like they are sold out. There is no doubt that the tickets were released in blocks of seats therefore making it much easier to control what would be considered a sellout according to Boxscore.

My definition of a Sellout means:

All of the tickets in the original configuration of the concert were sold (which didnt happen)

There is no point in arguing with you people, if you take a basic statisics class you can see how stats can be altered to make them look as good or as bad as you want them to be. What I am stating is a fact you could get tickets to any of the 3 concerts 2 hours before the show started. If Boxscore counts this as a sell out I guess their definition of "Sell Out" and mine are 2 different things.

I came to the conclusion U2 could do no wrong in here long ago, I stated that it was still impressive what they were able to accomplish grossing over 100 million in 13 shows is an impressive feat. However U2s management especially since after Popmart will do anything to make shows appear like they are sold out. There is no doubt that the tickets were released in blocks of seats therefore making it much easier to control what would be considered a sellout according to Boxscore.

All of the tickets in the original configuration of the concert were sold (which didnt happen)

Maybe you should work for boxscore then!

I will take on the stats of boxscore as official confirmation that the shows were sold out not your opinion that they were not

What do you mean with the 'original configuration of the concert'? Isn't this like what we think Pollstar uses for the definition of a sold out concert.
In the case of U2's concerts in Dublin, all the tickets in the original configuration were sold. However, over the past few weeks U2 released some more tickets to fight the scalpers. Hence the availability of tickets shortly before show time. But those were not part of the original configuration.

What do you mean with the 'original configuration of the concert'? Isn't this like what we think Pollstar uses for the definition of a sold out concert.
In the case of U2's concerts in Dublin, all the tickets in the original configuration were sold. However, over the past few weeks U2 released some more tickets to fight the scalpers. Hence the availability of tickets shortly before show time. But those were not part of the original configuration.

I guess this puts the debate to rest.

for the people wondering where to find the boxscores look on billboardmagazine.com under charts then concerts. seems to me this site is exactly what the old billboard.com site used to be.

I called BS on these stats after seeing Vertigo Sydney III.

There were large 'blocks' of empty seats in the upper tiers that 'had' been filled on the previous two nights. But this night too was a sellout! How was that possible - either because of some deliberate ploy (withdrawing availability of tickets a nano-second before the show starts) or because these Boxoffice mathmeticians have a dodgy calculator.

Either way use your eyes. If there are huge areas of seats not taken, and not be explained away by obstructive viewing or scalpers, then they defo not sold as many tickets as they could have done.

And I don't buy this ticket dropping to avoid scalpers. Surely these folk scan ticket sites all the time for this - they're more informed than your average punter.

I called BS on these stats after seeing Vertigo Sydney III.

There were large 'blocks' of empty seats in the upper tiers that 'had' been filled on the previous two nights. But this night too was a sellout! How was that possible - either because of some deliberate ploy (withdrawing availability of tickets a nano-second before the show starts) or because these Boxoffice mathmeticians have a dodgy calculator.

Either way use your eyes. If there are huge areas of seats not taken, and not be explained away by obstructive viewing or scalpers, then they defo not sold as many tickets as they could have done.

And I don't buy this ticket dropping to avoid scalpers. Surely these folk scan ticket sites all the time for this - they're more informed than your average punter.

There were no big clumps of empty seats at Croke night 3 from what i saw!

I saw enough empty spaces not congruent with the availability of tickets from the touts. I don't believe this show was a sellout, but nowhere near as clear as Sydney III on Vertigo.

I'm well aware of what the rules say, but you've mentioned that the problem was NOT the topic. If that is the case, then people have a right to post NEW information as it becomes available, just as they have a right to post new album sales number, new setlist, etc.

I realize the sticky doesn't allow anyone to update it. That was the point. It would have updated eventually, maybe not the split second the new stats were up since I have a life outside of this forum.

It takes about 5 seconds to post new information and unless the whole general topic is banned, anyone with NEW information should be able to post it. Your sticky remained unupdated for days.

Again, if this thread turns into the same discussion that's already been had between you and Moggio again, this and all future threads on this topic will be closed immediately.

Sorry, but those discussions were NOT just between myself and Moggio, but between multiple people as well as Moggio.

In addition, similar discussions take place between multiple people on album sales, singles, and other music business topics.

These type of discussions have been taking place for years in this particular forum and unless interference is now into banning discussion topics, then they should be allowed to continue. I can understand closing threads when there are problems with them. But there have been plenty of threads about Edge's guitar playing, Bono's vocals, that have been closed over the years, but it did not mean a person could not start a thread about that topic ever again.

Normally, this topic wouldn't be a problem, except as with any other thread when we receive multiple complaints from members regarding a thread which is what happened in the case of the previous threads, the thread in question will be closed after a warning is given and if the fighting continues as did with the previous threads, it will be closed. Also any spin-off thread on the same/similar topic will also be closed.

Updated boxscores is not a new topic, it's the same topic with updated information, however, I've left it open because there shouldn't be a problem on this particular topic, but if the fighting starts up again then it will be closed also.

Like I've already told you, if you have further doubts on this PM me. There is no need to continue this discussion in this thread.

Last edited:

Please see other people's posts on this - including mine.

I realize what most of us THINK "sell out" means.

However, there is a different definition. I've obtained last minute tickets to sporting events and other concerts and those were considered "sold out" as well. I believe there are a minimum amount of tickets that must sell for a show or sporting event to be considered "sold out". While there still may be some tickets available, even at the last minute, the show is considered sold out.

Also note that there are no shows. Season ticket holders don't attend every game. Some cancel and tickets then become available. This is more true in large stadiums - like U2's current tour - than in an arena where there truly is limited space.

These "sell outs" are not U2 or U2 fans indicating them as such - it is the venue. So kudos for U2 for at least selling the minimum amount of tickets needed to get a "sell out". :up:

Also, thank you Rambling Rose for your efforts. Rare has anything in this forum needed moderation, but apparently the time has come.

Ever since 1985, and even before that on rare occasions, U2 has often released tickets the day of the show often to prevent or degrade the scalping market. The fact that tickets are still available 2 hours or even 2 minutes prior to the start of the show is not evidence of the show not being soldout. If it were, then most U2 shows since 1985 have not been soldout. Not even U2's shows in Dublin in Croke Park in 1987.

Billboard Boxscores definition of a sellout is the selling of all tickets released for sale, which may not happen until just before the boxoffice closes sometime during the concert.

The three Croke Park shows in 2009 had a combined attendance that was 3,545 tickets less than the 3 shows in 2005. It could be that demand was slower with the third show and the promoter never released the entire physical capacity that was available for sale. It could also be that the new stage and lighting reduced the number of people who could be on the field at each show. Also, a change in the fire code laws about the number of people that could be on the field could have reduced the figures.

However U2s management especially since after Popmart will do anything to make shows appear like they are sold out. There is no doubt that the tickets were released in blocks of seats therefore making it much easier to control what would be considered a sellout according to Boxscore.

Every artist in the industry attempts to sellout, and will gradually release tickets for sell in order to have a better chance of getting a sellout, but it does not always happen. There have been 32 Bruce Springsteen Concerts this year that have not soldout, even when the number of tickets released for sell was actually smaller than the full physical capacity available.

Just because you see empty seats at a concert does not mean tickets for those seats were not sold. Some Scalpers often buy up rows are blocks of tickets and are unable to re-sell them.

An important thing to remember is that this is the first ever Stadium tour done in the round. This opens up tens of thousands more seats usually that would not normally be available.

In the normal configuration, most stadium shows have about 40,000 to 50,000 people. There are only a small number of artist that can actually attract 40,000 to 50,000 people to multiple shows on a tour.

But what U2 are doing now is on another level than that. Average attendance for the first 13 shows is nearly 80,000! Nearly double of what the average attendance is at a stadium show with the normal set up, that only a small number of artist are able to perform. As the available capacity increases for any show, the chances of a sellout grow less likely.

When this tour is completed at the end of 2010, it will be the highest attended tour in history, and I don't think anyone will care whether or not U2 really did completely sellout every single show in a 360 configuration in a stadium.

New boxscores

New boxscores

Gross Sales Attended Shows/sellouts
u2 Gothenburg Sweden $11,047,995 119,297 2/2
u2 Gelsenkirchen Germany $7,292,826 73,704 1/1

Tour stats so far

Total number of shows-16
Number of sellouts-16
Total gross-$131,068,265
Average gross per show-$8,191,766
Average ticket price-$106
Total Attendance-1,228,376
Average Attendance-76,773

New Goteborg and Gelsenkirchen Boxscores!

July 31 - August 1, 2009
Goteborg, Sweden
Ullevi Stadion
GROSS: $11,047,995
ATTENDANCE: 119,297
SHOWS: 2
SELLOUTS: 2
Average Ticket Price: $92.61

August 3, 2009
Gelsenkirchen, Germany
Veltins-Arena
GROSS: $7,292,826
ATTENDANCE: 73,704
SHOWS: 1
SELLOUTS: 1
Average Ticket Price: $98.95

http://www.billboardmagazine.com/bb...tbWLp0yr4clkWpxjTjhWQCmfdpw4YQvgzqN!451218170

U2 360 TOUR: 1ST LEG EUROPE STATS

GROSS: $131,068,265
ATTENDANCE: 1,228,376
Average Gross: $8,191,767
Average Attendance: 76,774
Shows: 16
Sellouts: 16
Average Ticket Price: $106.70

Just read yesterday's Billboard article that came out with their normal "Chart Alert" regarding worldwide boxscores. In looking at the reports from last week and this week, it's obvious that U2 are still the biggest draw in the entire world. I know the economy is down...and some of their U.S. stadium shows still have tickets available. However, what was really surprising to me is to see Green Day's 3 most recent arena concerts failed to sell out...running around 75% of capacity. Coldplay also failed to sell out 2 of their last 3 arena shows.

Even if U2 doesn't sell out every concert in the U.S., their attendance for any given show will likely top 50,000 people or more. OTH, Coldplay/Green Day can't draw 15,000 people at some of their most recent shows. I'm not hating on these other bands; but I do think this is clear evidence of U2 still being the "biggest (best for me) band in the world". Unbelievable that they have more or less had that crown for 3 decades now. It would not be out of place for U2 to be on the cover of Time Magazine this Fall with a shot of the 360 stage during a show with the headline "22 years later...U2 are still Rock's hottest ticket". I remember clearly my first U2 concert back on TJT tour, but I never dreamed that I'd be taking my own 10-year old daughter to see them 3 decades later!

Just read yesterday's Billboard article that came out with their normal "Chart Alert" regarding worldwide boxscores. In looking at the reports from last week and this week, it's obvious that U2 are still the biggest draw in the entire world. I know the economy is down...and some of their U.S. stadium shows still have tickets available. However, what was really surprising to me is to see Green Day's 3 most recent arena concerts failed to sell out...running around 75% of capacity. Coldplay also failed to sell out 2 of their last 3 arena shows.

Even if U2 doesn't sell out every concert in the U.S., their attendance for any given show will likely top 50,000 people or more. OTH, Coldplay/Green Day can't draw 15,000 people at some of their most recent shows. I'm not hating on these other bands; but I do think this is clear evidence of U2 still being the "biggest (best for me) band in the world". Unbelievable that they have more or less had that crown for 3 decades now. It would not be out of place for U2 to be on the cover of Time Magazine this Fall with a shot of the 360 stage during a show with the headline "22 years later...U2 are still Rock's hottest ticket". I remember clearly my first U2 concert back on TJT tour, but I never dreamed that I'd be taking my own 10-year old daughter to see them 3 decades later!

It is amazing that in 1987, U2 had one of the best selling albums and one of the biggest tours ever and 22 years later, they have one of the best selling albums and one of THE biggest tour ever....:sexywink:

...it's obvious that U2 are still the biggest draw in the entire world.

The Rolling Stones:

’89’-90 Steel Wheels / Urban Jungle Tour…$170 million

‘94-’95 Voodoo Lounge Tour…$319 million

‘97-’99 Bridges To Babylon / No Security Tour…$339 million

‘02-’03 Licks Tour…$300 million (grossed slightly less than their previous tour because less shows were played in comparison)

‘05-'07 A Bigger Bang Tour…$558 million

U2:

‘92-’93 ZOO TV Tour…$167 million

‘97-’98 PopMart Tour…$172 million

‘01 Elevation Tour…$143 million

‘05-’06 Vertigo Tour…$389 million

The Rolling Stones:

‘02-’03 Licks Tour…$300 million (grossed slightly less than their previous tour because less shows were played in comparison)

U2:

the total gross for the last 5 tours of rolling irrilevant stones is 1686 and when u2 finish the 360 degrees will be the same or +-:wave:
hey moggio richards when will have an album rilevant from the stones or we have to go at era of homo sapiens sapiens for discover it.:wave::wave::wave:

The Rolling Stones:

U2:

Oh no, here we go again ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom