u2 360 Boxscore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bon Jovi

Average Tickets: 36,023

Total Tickets: 1,909,234

Shows: 80

AC/DC

Average Tickets: 56,905

Total Tickets: 1,820,962

Shows: 40

is something wrong with my calculator or what :doh::doh::doh:

Wait, am I drunk right now?! :crack:

Average Gross: 7,313,636

Shows: 32

Gross Millions: 160.9

:crack::crack::crack:

It's the average attendance per city and not per show.

Australian Tour
Total Gross: $29,397,597
Total Attendance: 293.485
Average Gross: $2.939.760
Average Attendance: 29.349
Shows: 10
Average Ticket Price: $100

This is ridiculous. Either Pollstar's totals are incorrect or the Billboard numbers for the European shows are too high and Pollstars total are correct. I think Billboards numbers are correct, since the attendance figure totally fits with the individual European estimations (see my last post).

We need some individual boxscores.

Bon Jovi
Australia/NZ/Japan
Total Gross: $54.592.612
Total Attendance: 318.080
Average Gross: $4.962.965
Average Attendance: 28.916
Shows: 11
Average Ticket Price: $172

Average ticket price $172?!

The average ticket price for the rest of the tour was $92... lol

It's almost as if they counted Auckland, Melbourne and Brisbane, but then stopped and forgot Sydney and Perth. Say 93k for Auckland, 115k for Melbourne and 85k for Brisbane. That's 293k right there.
Somewhere, somehow, someone has screwed up.

Yes, these numbers are definitely under counted.

Plus, U2 only toured for 3.5 months of 2010, Bon Jovi and AC/DC for more.

And though I understand comparing these numbers and individual shows/years is very useful, looking at the big picture also helps too.

And the big picture, and bottom line is this:

360 will blow away any other tour in the history of touring in terms of gross and attendance.

Black Ice and Circle will be the smallest of obstacles in its way here.

it's strange that PM or LN don't release individual gross/attendance numbers, like they did in 2009. That would clear everything. Does anyone know why they don't do this anymore?

Confusing numbers. Does anyone know if they re-check the charts? Sounds highly inaccurate. :doh:

U2360

TOTAL ATTENDANCE: 4,667,559 (?)
TOTAL GROSS: $472,537,730 (?)

2010 ATTENDANCE: 1,606,269 (?)
EUROPE: 1,312,784
AUSTRALIA / NEW ZEALAND: 293,485 :huh:

Australia / NZ attendance should have been half a million people with newspaper reports and estimates, no?

This is ridiculous. Either Pollstar's totals are incorrect or the Billboard numbers for the European shows are too high and Pollstars total are correct. I think Billboards numbers are correct, since the attendance figure totally fits with the individual European estimations (see my last post).

We need some individual boxscores.

The European totals are correct. Though those Aus/NZ numbers don't reflect the whole leg.

My 2 cents

If I had to guess it looks like they just neglected to count the shows in Sydney and Perth. If you take away those four shows and--based on estimates reported in local newspapers--only count the attendances of the remaining 6 shows in NZ and Australia the numbers make perfect sense. I'd put my money on this being the case. If true that would mean they neglected to count nearly 250,000 tickets and around $25 mil in gross. This, again, would fit nearly perfectly with both the attendance est from the remaining four shows as well as the average attendances throughout the rest of the tour. Best guess but what do I know? Maybe Live Nation didn't want to report the 2nd Sydney show bc it failed to sell out. Who knows?

Could the discrepancy have anything to do with Billboard's famous cut-off dates? That is, some shows, even though they were in the same country, were after a pre-determined cut-off date for 2010 (and therefore will count for 2011)? I'm not sure myself as Billboard and other places constantly change the rules. :)

I contacted Pollstar a few weeks ago, I just received an answer:

"After several requests we only received hard data on U2 events through
October 2010. The New Zealand and Australian dates were estimated based
on the hard data we had. We tend to estimate unreported dates
conservatively."

So maybe we will finally get the official numbers in Billboard's 2011 year end report.

We have attendance figures from Europe (at least) ;)

http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/Ch...wideOutdoorStadiumFestivalSiteTicketSales.pdf

Torino 42,441
San Sebastian 47,721
Frankfurt 53,825
Istanbul 54,278
Hannover 56,494
Moscow 60,496
Vienna 69,253
Rome 75,847
Munich 76,150
Athens 82,662
Zürich 90,349
Helsinki 106,360
Horsens ???
Coimbra 109,985
Seville ???
Brussels 144,338
Paris 96,540**

The only artist that played in these stadiums (except for Paris, Seville and Horsens) were U2.
*We don’t know the Horsens and Seville numbers, because AC/DC also played both venues
**We know AC/DC played to 76,375 in Stade de France, from Billboard MidYear Charts.

Yeah the Australian shows haven't been included. As you can see for Subiaco Oval, ACDC drew 97,000 and roughly 30,000 for Bon Jovi.
Question is though, if Bon Jovi's Australian shows were reported, how come U2's weren't when they were in the country at the same time?

so with the number from billboard - 1312574 tickets sold - we can add up these individual shows - 1166739. if we assume 70,000 for Horsens that leaves 76000 for Sevilla which is a venue record.

Venue record attendances at vienna, Brussels, Athens, Moscow, torino too?

so with the number from billboard - 1312574 tickets sold - we can add up these individual shows - 1166739. if we assume 70,000 for Horsens that leaves 76000 for Sevilla which is a venue record.

Venue record attendances at vienna, Brussels, Athens, Moscow, torino too?

Celine did a stadium show in the round at the same Brussels stadium in the late 90's. She did 90k one night at Stade de France. Dates on wiki with incomplete audience numbers. Doubt she'll beat U2, but it's likely the previous record.

The band is on track to break all-time gross record

Billboard, January 27, 2011
By: Ray Waddell​

[The January 29, 2011 issue of Billboard magazine includes a feature called "2011's Top 40 Best Bets." U2 is listed 11th with this accompanying article.]

In early April, while the group is performing somewhere in Latin America, U2's 360 tour is projected to become the highest-grossing tour off all time.

The previous record-high gross of $558 million, set by the Rolling Stones' A Bigger Bang tour of 2005-07, won't just be broken but, to quote the Stones, shattered. When U2 concludes its two-year, 110-show trek in North America in July, the 360 tour is projected to top $700 million in total gross and 7 million in attendance. The feat is even more remarkable when one considers that the band will break the record on a tour that spanned trying economic times around the globe.

U2 won't claim the all-time highest-gross mantle because it has the highest ticket prices -- the tour tops out at $250 and prices go as low as $30, well short of what acts the Stones and Barbra Streisand have charged. Rather, the record-breaking numbers are made possible by the band's enduring popularity and the tour's groundbreaking 360-degree staging, which expanded stadium capacities by double-digit percentages.

The success of the tour is also a milestone achievement for 360 producer Arthur Fogel, Live Nation chairman of global music and CEO of global touring. Fogel has played a key role in seven of the top 10 tours of all time, including treks by U2, Madonna, the Police and the Stones.

The 360 tour's record-high gross will stand for a long time, given the ambitious scale of the production, the band's willingness to invest in its show and its ability to stay on the road for such an extended period. Few acts can play stadium tours. And even if an artist attempts to emulate the staging that has enabled 360-size capacities -- a massively expensive endeavor that few would dare take on -- filling those seats would be a tall order, particularly over 100 shows in markets around the world. In all likelihood, U2 can only be topped by U2.
(c) Billboard, 2011.

Thanks for the link! All of them are there, including the grosses.

Horsens - 69,886
Seville - 76,159

So why aren't the Australian dates included?
Also it's interesting to note that the only Bon Jovi date included from their Australian tour is the smallest one, the arena show in Melbourne, so their shows weren't included either?

So why aren't the Australian dates included?
Also it's interesting to note that the only Bon Jovi date included from their Australian tour is the smallest one, the arena show in Melbourne, so their shows weren't included either?

U2 Instanbul wasn't on that list.

Plus other act shows are missing like I'm sure Buble played more than one stadium show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom