Top 10 Worldwide sales 2005

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POP-ROMANCER

War Child
Coldplay's "X&Y" has been named the biggest selling album in the world of last year.

The group have beaten off every act on the planet, having shifted almost ten million copies globally, according to the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry.

With global sales of 8.3 million, the band finish ahead of Mariah Carey's "The Emancipation of Mimi", which sold 7.7 million and "The Massacre" by 50 Cent, on 7.5 million.

Amongst the other acts to make the Top 10 below Coldplay are Madonna, Eminem and Robbie Williams.

The full Top 10, with sales figures, is as follows:

01 Coldplay - "X&Y" (8.3m)
02 Mariah Carey - "The Emancipation of Mimi" (7.7m)
03 50 Cent - "The Massacre" (7.5m)
04 Black Eyed Peas - "Monkey Business" (6.8m)
05 Green Day - "American Idiot" (6.4m)
06 Madonna - "Confessions On A Dance Floor" (6.3m)
07 Kelly Clarkson - "Breakaway" (6.1m)
08 Eminem - "Curtain Call" (5.5m)
09 James Blunt - "Back to Bedlam" (5.5m)
10 Robbie Williams - "Intensive Care" (5.4m)

That's old news. X&Y is now at about 9.4m in consumer sales (8,880,000 at Mediatraffic).

I'd now put Bomb at about 9.3m (8,188,000 at MT but 31 wks off their chart now, whilst still selling ok)

Last edited:
POP-ROMANCER said:
Coldplay's "X&Y" has been named the biggest selling album in the world of last year.

The group have beaten off every act on the planet, having shifted almost ten million copies globally, according to the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry.

With global sales of 8.3 million, the band finish ahead of Mariah Carey's "The Emancipation of Mimi", which sold 7.7 million and "The Massacre" by 50 Cent, on 7.5 million.

Amongst the other acts to make the Top 10 below Coldplay are Madonna, Eminem and Robbie Williams.

The full Top 10, with sales figures, is as follows:

01 Coldplay - "X&Y" (8.3m)
02 Mariah Carey - "The Emancipation of Mimi" (7.7m)
03 50 Cent - "The Massacre" (7.5m)
04 Black Eyed Peas - "Monkey Business" (6.8m)
05 Green Day - "American Idiot" (6.4m)
06 Madonna - "Confessions On A Dance Floor" (6.3m)
07 Kelly Clarkson - "Breakaway" (6.1m)
08 Eminem - "Curtain Call" (5.5m)
09 James Blunt - "Back to Bedlam" (5.5m)
10 Robbie Williams - "Intensive Care" (5.4m)

I guess it depends when they say 2005 started and ended. Mediatraffic tracks soundscan sales from countries around the world. The chart runs from the first week in January to the last week in December 2005. This is the top 10 based on actual sales to consumers during that time period:

1. Green Day - American Idiot
Reprise - 7.986.000 copies

2. Coldplay - X&Y
Parlophone - 7.766.000 copies

3. 50 Cent - The Massacre
Shady / Interscope - 7.120.000 copies

4. Mariah Carey - The Emancipation Of Mimi
Island - 6.972.000 copies

5. Black Eyed Peas - Monkey Business
A&M / Interscope - 6.090.000 copies

6. Kelly Clarkson - Breakaway
RCA - 5.493.000 copies

7. Gwen Stefani - Love, Angel, Music, Baby
Interscope - 4.685.000 copies

8. James Blunt - Back To Bedlam
Atlantic - 4.462.000 copies

9. Gorillaz - Demon Days
Parlophone - 4.079.000 copies

10. Madonna - Confessions On A Dance Floor
Warner Bros. - 4.031.000 copies

U2 came in at #16 with 2,899,000 in sales , but there were another 5.5 million in sales in the last 6 weeks of 2004 that were not counted for the 2005 Mediatraffic chart, but showed up on the 2004 Mediatraffic chart.

Its important to keep in mind that depending on the chart eligibility period, many of these artist sales will get cut off from their total. If we were going by the time period for Billboards year end chart, which starts the last week November 2004 and goes to the 3rd week November 2005, U2's BOMB would be listed as the 2nd biggest selling album on the planet right after Green Days's.

Just as important as album sales are concert ticket sales.
In 2005, no one came close to U2's Vertigo Tour which to date has done the following:

GROSS: $333,206,884
ATTENDANCE: 3,983,650
SHOWS: 118
SELLOUTS: 118

Coldplay's figures are a tiny fraction of U2's for concert touring. Coldplay has yet to reach the level U2 was at on the Unforgettable Fire Tour in terms of concert drawing power, despite the fact they have had 3 mega selling albums in a row and blanket airplay and promotion.

While Coldplay became one of the top album sellers with just their second album, it remains to be seen whether their success in album sales will be matched with a concert drawing strength that will allow them to play stadiums. U2 became the 2nd biggest stadium artist in the world only 7 years after the release of their first album and only with their first mega selling album.

Right now, if Coldplay can keep growing their base, it will probably take them another two albums to reach the point where U2 was on the Joshua Tree, provided they keep consistently growing in popularity. This will be difficult for them to do though considering they have already received massive exposure and album sales. They will have to maintain or increase that level of exposure and album sales for another two albums in order to get there.

Those numbers are a lot different than mediatraffic's year-end chart. It makes sense that there is an upward trend, since it has been noted that mediatraffic does not catch 100% of global sales. However, American Idiot dropped over 1.5 million in the new list. And the greatest gainers are artists who released albums towards the end of the year (Eminem: +83%, Robbie Williams: +59% and Madonna: +57%). This, combined with the fact that the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry is a corporate conglomeration, makes me wonder if its chart is based on the fiscal year 2005, which ended March 15 (at least in the U.S.). That would explain why American Idiot dropped, as its strong sales in early 2005 were replaced by weaker sales during the same period this year. The same logic applies to the other three, but in reverse. It also might explain why a list of the top-selling albums of 2005 was released in March 2006.

These figures from the IFPI are shipment figures only. I first saw this list a few months ago when X&Y was at around 7.7m in sales at Mediatraffic. But, & i repeat, X&Y is now at 8,880,000 in total sales at Mediatraffic &, remember, Mediatraffic 'only' covers around 94% of total sales.

edge 3 i think bomb sold mor than 9.3 m because 2 months ago bomb sold over 9 m and after the grammy bomb sold more than 100k in u.s. over 30k in australia top 5 in mexico and sold weel in brasil where this week is number 13 after 6 week,and reenter a lot of charts in europe uk,germany ireland,france,holland,italy and in japan,

monai2 said:
edge 3 i think bomb sold mor than 9.3 m because 2 months ago bomb sold over 9 m and after the grammy bomb sold more than 100k in u.s. over 30k in australia top 5 in mexico and sold weel in brasil where this week is number 13 after 6 week,and reenter a lot of charts in europe uk,germany ireland,france,holland,italy and in japan,

On closer inspection, i now estimate Bomb's sold around 220k in the last 9 wks so i actually now have Bomb at around 9,380,000.

However this is without taking into real consideration S.American sales where it has indeed come back v.well recently. I mean how much more would it have sold at # 4 then # 2 in Mexico ? # 15 then, now, # 13 in Brasil ? # 8 in Argentina ? etc etc... 50k ? To be honest, i don't know too much about S.American sales to be sure so i should probably just stick with 9,380,000.

So, in summary, total approx. sales of Bomb to date =

8,188,000 at MediaTraffic + approx. 492,000 (approx. 6% that MT doesn't cover) + approx. 700,000 (approx. sales in 31 wks Bomb's been off the MT top 40 chart) = 9,380,000

Last edited:
bomb before the tour was platinum,i'n argentina bomb sold before the tour 40k so the market is small,for chil and mexico i have no numbers....atyclb whithout tour and bahia carnival in brasil sold more than 250k

I think it is fair to say 50K additional copies have been sold in Latin American (most of them in Brazil) as a result of the tour visiting these areas.

monai2 said:
bomb before the tour was platinum,i'n argentina bomb sold before the tour 40k so the market is small,for chil and mexico i have no numbers....atyclb whithout tour and bahia carnival in brasil sold more than 250k

Well in Argentina it's up to # 3 this week ! So i wonder how many copies sold that would be... 5k ? 10k ?... (pop. = ~ 40m) last week it was # 4 too (# 8 the week before that).

Last edited:
edge3 said:
Well in Argentina it's up to # 3 this week ! So i wonder how many copies sold that would be... 5k ? 10k ?... (pop. = ~ 40m) last week it was # 4 too (# 8 the week before that).

Sorry, that was for the week of March 2 / March 15. So not this week.

Last edited:
No, I don´t think it is selling that much in Argentina, 2K maybe.

edge3 said:

fedeu2 said:
No, I don´t think it is selling that much in Argentina, 2K maybe.

A bit more I think : This chart concern 2 weeks, not only one. Albums like American Idiot and X&Y sold nearly 100k in Argentina, so this market is not so poor.
The Bomb's run since the begin of the year is this one : 35-35-90-90-8-8-4-4-3-3
Best Of 1980-1990 : 70-70-26-26-19-19-9-9-6-6
Best Of 1990-2000 : 77-77-32-32-51-51-14-14-10-10
Vertigo Chicago (charted in the album chart) : /-/-/-/-/-/-60-60
ATYCLB : /-/-/-/-/-/-72-72-32-32
AB : /-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-50-50
R&H : /-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-94-94

So they are selling really A LOT. Sadly, the CAPIF website has many omissions, I'm sure that the Bomb sold 50-100k in Argentina despite it is not even Gold (20k).

In USA, the album still charted at the bottom of the top 200 :
199 U2 - HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB 4,778 -15 5,617 3,107,132

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom