The Saints Are Coming in Billboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
04072511 said:
is it the studio or live version that has charted on the Hot 100?

Combo of both. The live version on iTunes is driving a lot of it, but the studio is played on the radio more.

Saints makes a jump from 211 to 162 on the pop charts at Mediabase. Sitting at #29 on Itunes hot 100.

a decline yes, but 3wks on the charts just based on pretty much downloads, is pretty good. The general public is interested in the song, and in the end its produces good results for MR. If you look at all of Saints stats, you have to say it did well.
1. Was on both the modern rock and mainstream rock charts
2. Video hit #1 on itunes download
3.Been in the itunes hot 100 top 40 for wks
4. Video has been streamed over 1 mil times on youtube.
5. heavy rotation on mtv and vh1 most I have seen since Vertigo esp on MTV.

Last edited:
Considering that it combines two recent Grammy faves, I wouldn't be surprised. Was it worthy of a nomination? Nah. Even against the weak mainstream crowd that the Grammys reward.

Covers should never be allowed, particularly because the commitee is filled with old fogeys that either don't know a song is a cover (in the case of the Skids tracks) or would rather vote for a new version of a classic ("One") then reward something NEW.....there's tons of great new music out there and it's a shame that the Grammys are positively the worst at presenting it.

Last edited:
I never thought I'd see U2 being nominated only for duets. Broadens the fanbase i guess. Just think if they win, Bono wouldnt let GD or Mary J get a word in at the acceptance speech.

Other news, Saints is life is near over. Falling on every chart, but suprisingly gaining spins on the pop chart. To be perfectly honest, I'll be glad when this song dies, it did it's job well. Hopfully once that happens the video for WITS will debut, and the full fledge promotion for WITS can take place. The Video stayed at #15 on VH1 top 20

BigMacPhisto said:
Considering that it combines two recent Grammy faves, I wouldn't be surprised. Was it worthy of a nomination? Nah. Even against the weak mainstream crowd that the Grammys reward.

Covers should never be allowed, particularly because the commitee is filled with old fogeys that either don't know a song is a cover (in the case of the Skids tracks) or would rather vote for a new version of a classic ("One") then reward something NEW.....there's tons of great new music out there and it's a shame that the Grammys are positively the worst at presenting it.

Since the nomination is for Rock Performance I don't see how it being a cover matters.

fna692002 said:
I never thought I'd see U2 being nominated only for duets. Broadens the fanbase i guess. Just think if they win, Bono wouldnt let GD or Mary J get a word in at the acceptance speech.

Other news, Saints is life is near over. Falling on every chart, but suprisingly gaining spins on the pop chart. To be perfectly honest, I'll be glad when this song dies, it did it's job well. Hopfully once that happens the video for WITS will debut, and the full fledge promotion for WITS can take place. The Video stayed at #15 on VH1 top 20

Saints may be coming up on the pop charts due to the fantastic season the New Orleans Saints are having. They trounced Dallas last night 42-17, are leading their division and currently the #2 seed for the playoffs. When the Saints scored their second TD last night NBC played a bit of "Saints" as they broke to commercial. If they keep winning the song could become a team anthem and since the media seems to like broadcasting Saints games this season the song could get a lot more exposure.

fna692002 said:

YEA THEY DID. I was lovin it :wink: .

Awesome game. Sean Payton is a kick ass coach, he's put the S back in Saint's. I grew up in Louisiana and have watched the Saint's off and on but they have never been a team the way they are now. The way Payton has them going there are no superstars, anybody and I do mean anybody could end up with the ball. I mean really, 3 TD's by a fullback and another by a Tight End (I think) who nobody knows from Adam!
"The Saint's Are Coming" indeed!!!

Harry Vest said:
# 71 on Billboard ain't that great. It better hit the Top 40 or it doesn't even qualify - does it???

It peaked at #51. Consider this, its charted better than any single U2 released since Vertigo, also has become the biggest hit off any U2 compilation. This is its 4wk on the chart and for a band like U2, it's pretty good. I not sure I know what you mean by qualifying?

Oddly enough, it's now one of U2's biggest 18 singles in the US........and to think people were complaining about the inclusion of a cover/collaboration. :wink:

fna692002 said:

It peaked at #51. Consider this, its charted better than any single U2 released since Vertigo, also has become the biggest hit off any U2 compilation. This is its 4wk on the chart and for a band like U2, it's pretty good. I not sure I know what you mean by qualifying?

Just because it peaked higher than other songs DOESNT make it a bigger hit! SIAMYCGOO peaked at #52 but stayed in the Hot 100 for 20 weeks. Sweetest Thing was #63 and stayed in the Hot 100 for 18 weeks. I could go on but i wont! 4 weeks isnt very impressive!

fna692002 said:

It peaked at #51. Consider this, its charted better than any single U2 released since Vertigo, also has become the biggest hit off any U2 compilation.

Not bad for a non album single and a collaboration.

#75 (#71) this week on Bb hot 100

Can someone write the chart run of Saints till now on Bb hot 100 thanx?

Back
Top Bottom