The Miracle Radio Play

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CosmoKramer

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Let's see what this song can do.......

As of right now, its #27 on AAA. Yesterday it was #37, so there is that!

It is the 4th most added song on Alternative (5 station adds) and 4th most on Active Rock (2 station adds). It is not on the Mainstream "Adds" chart but it shows up on all 4 formats on the "spincrease" chart, which is most increase plays compared to the week before, so it is getting airplay on all 4 formats.

The big format for U2 is AC, which is a format that they have the potential to crack(did it with Ordinary love) and is the biggest of these 5 formats.

On a side note....with regard to AAA, there are 6 U2 songs from SOI on the "Adds" chart and 8 U2 songs on the "Spincrease" chart. This isn't uncommon on this format as I think NLOTH experienced similar results on AAA when it was released.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

9/14

AAA-#21
Active Rock- Off (on Spincrease and taking off charts)
Alternative- Off (on Spincrease and taking off charts)
Mainstream- Off (on Spincrease chart)
Hot AC-Off

I don't see this crossing over into Hot AC but you never know

9/14

AAA-#21
Alternative- Off (on Spincrease and taking off charts)
Mainstream- Off (on Spincrease chart)
Hot AC-Off

I don't see this crossing over into Hot AC but you never know

9/15

AAA-#16
Alternative- 50 (on Spincrease and taking off charts)
Mainstream- Off (on Spincrease and taking off charts)
Hot AC-Off

On a side note, there are 8 U2 songs on the AAA "taking off" chart and 6 on the "Spincrease" chart
California is also on the mainstream "Spincrease" chart
Ceaderwood Road is also on the Active rock "taking off" chart

Radio charts Usa:
Rock: #47 U2 The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) 12 spins 0.050 aud
Triple a: #17 U2 The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) 258 spins 0,812 aud
Alternative: #50 U2 The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) 138 spins 1.061 aud

4 days on Triple a format
Just 1 day others

Hits Daily Double have this short article on the SOI release and some numbers on the amount of times the ad has appeared on tv and the total estimate of sale for the back catalogue since last Tuesday:

Whether you consider the U2-Apple initiative as a stunt or a brilliant cross-marketing initiative, you’ve gotta admit that it has dramatically increased the band’s visibility at a crucial moment while also making the masses acutely aware of the appearance of the iPhone 6. Here are some interesting stats:

Through last night’s edition of Monday Night Football, the commercial that employs the hook from "The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)" has aired nationally 121 times since it debuted on the CBS prime-time game last Thursday. This according to ad-tracking site ispot.tv.

According to Apple SVP of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue, "Just six days after its release on iTunes, a record-breaking 33 million people have already experienced" Songs of Innocence. In other words, the album has been accessed on iTunes, iCloud, iTunes Radio or Beats Music 33 million times since it magically appeared last Tuesday.

Apple said it received more than 4 million combined orders of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the first 24 hours on Sept. 12, surpassing the previous high of 2 million-plus iPhone 5 orders set in 2012. "We believe the iPhone 6/6 Plus pre-order numbers indicate demand for the redesigned iPhone is slightly better than high expectations," Piper Jaffray’s Gene Munster wrote in a note to clients.

Somewhat less significantly, the U2 catalog—sale priced at $5.99 for standard releases and $7.99 for hits collections since last Tuesday—has been selling briskly, with total sales up to today believed to be north of 30k. That may not be "massive," as Rolling Stone put it recently, but it ain’t chopped liver—especially considering that U2 catalog titles during the previous week sold in the double digits, with only three in the low triple digits. The biggest post-Tuesday sellers are 2006’s 18-song U218 Singles and 1987’s beloved The Joshua Tree, which are running neck and neck, with the 1991 landmark Achtung Baby a solid #3. All of the above remain in the iTunes Top 50 as of Monday afternoon, as does 1983’s War and, more surprisingly, the $11.99 deluxe version of U218 Singles, which contains 10 additional tracks, nine of them live.

So, double digit sales=99 albums a week (ouch)

Last week = 30K

True, 30K isn't spectacular but the increase is nothing short of amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

9/15

AAA-#16
Alternative- 50 (on Spincrease and taking off charts)
Mainstream- Off (on Spincrease and taking off charts)
Hot AC-Off

On a side note, there are 8 U2 songs on the AAA "taking off" chart and 6 on the "Spincrease" chart

9/16
AAA-#14
Alternative- 47 (on Spincrease and taking off charts)
Mainstream- 41 (on Spincrease and taking off charts)
Hot AC-Off

There are 8 U2 songs on the AAA "taking off" chart and 6 on the "Spincrease" chart

On Triple A The Miracle is up another 2 spots to number 12 with an increase in spins of 30. Could make the top ten tomorrow maybe?

On Triple A The Miracle is up another 2 spots to number 12 with an increase in spins of 30. Could make the top ten tomorrow maybe?

For some reason, the local radio stations here in Rhode Island won't play it. I have yet to hear it on the radio and when I check the back songs they have played throughout the day, I never see it. The funny thing is that WBRU & WHJY here in Rhode Island have been very U2 friendly through the years but not so much anymore.

9/16
AAA-#14
Alternative- 47 (on Spincrease and taking off charts)
Mainstream- 41 (on Spincrease and taking off charts)
Hot AC-Off

There are 8 U2 songs on the AAA "taking off" chart and 6 on the "Spincrease" chart

9/17

AAA-#12
Alternative- 45 (on Spincrease and taking off charts)
Mainstream- 42 (on Spincrease and taking off charts)
Hot AC-Off(on taking off chart with 1 add!)

The Miracle sent to HAC on HitDisc this week.:up:

From Billboard charts:
The miracle:
ROCK AIRPLAY: debut at #38
ADULT ALTERNATIVE SONGS: debut/greates gainer #19

On Triple A for 18th Sept The Miracle is up another spot to number 11 with an increase in spins of 11 to 336.

9/17

AAA-#12
Alternative- 45 (on Spincrease and taking off charts)
Mainstream- 42 (on Spincrease and taking off charts)

9/18

AAA-#11
Alternative- 44 (on Spincrease and taking off charts)
Mainstream- 42 (on Spincrease chart)

There are 6 U2 songs on the AAA "Spincrease" chart

AAA Sept 20 The Miracle is at #8 with 371 spins. It also charted very well in Canada on 9/16, making 3 different charts after what could have been 3 days at most of radio play. Best debut was on their Active Rock Chart at #17.

AAA Sept 20 The Miracle is at #8 with 371 spins. It also charted very well in Canada on 9/16, making 3 different charts after what could have been 3 days at most of radio play. Best debut was on their Active Rock Chart at #17.

Hi beLIEve....haven't seen you in a while.

9/18

AAA-#11
Alternative- 44 (on Spincrease and taking off charts)
Mainstream- 42 (on Spincrease chart)

There are 6 U2 songs on the AAA "Spincrease" chart

9/20

AAA-#8
Active Rock- Off (on Spincrease chart)
Alternative- 42 (on Spincrease and taking off charts)
Mainstream- 37 (on Spincrease chart)
Hot AC-Off

There are 2 U2 songs on the AAA "Spincrease" chart(Volcano and Ceaders)
California is also on the Alternative "Spincrease" chart

Also of note lately has been U2's back catalog of albums charting on i-tunes. For Billboard's Hot 200 Albums, all of these are labeled as "re-entries" for Sep 27 edition of the magazine

Joshua Tree at 47
U218 Singles at 52
AB at 78
UF 142
Rattle & Hum 172
War 181

FWIW, The Beatles had 5 re-entries this week as well, mostly between 140-200.

On BB's "Hot 100 Artists" Chart, U2 re-enters at 35.

And Cosmo, Hi back at u. It has been a long time.

The Miracle up 1 spot to number 7 on Triple A for 21st Sept with an increase in spins of 21 up to 392.

Miracle up to #6 on AAA

Sep 23 Miracle is up to 6 on Adult Rock with 415 spins

Mediabase updates it's weekly chart today. It includes the prior six day performance through Sep 22. It had Miracle still at 7, up from 20, w/392 spins.

Miracle is up from 50 to 33 on "Rock" or Mainstream Rock as of yesterday.

Miracle debuts at 42 on Alternative Chart.

Miracle up from 17 to 15 on Canada's Active Rock Chart.

Miracle up from 44 to 25 on Canada's Alternative Chart.

Sep 23 Miracle is up to 6 on Adult Rock with 415 spins

Mediabase updates it's weekly chart today. It includes the prior six day performance through Sep 22. It had Miracle still at 7, up from 20, w/392 spins.

Miracle is up from 50 to 33 on "Rock" or Mainstream Rock as of yesterday.

Miracle debuts at 42 on Alternative Chart.

Miracle up from 17 to 15 on Canada's Active Rock Chart.

Miracle up from 44 to 25 on Canada's Alternative Chart.

Thanks for all the updates, believe!

So how is it actually performing? I can see it's rising etc but is it actually doing ok?

9/20

AAA-#8
Active Rock- Off (on Spincrease chart)
Mainstream- 37 (on Spincrease chart)
Hot AC-Off

There are 2 U2 songs on the AAA "Spincrease" chart(Volcano and Ceaders)
California is also on the Alternative "Spincrease" chart

9/24

AAA-#6
Active Rock- Off (on taking off chart)
Mainstream- 26 (on taking off and Spincrease chart)
Hot AC-Off

So how is it actually performing? I can see it's rising etc but is it actually doing ok?

It's still early but it's doing ok(at best) for the time being

It's doing well on AAA, which they always do well on. It's rising on both the Alternative and Mainstream charts but it's not even in the top 20 of those formats yet(Mainstream is a very weak format, not many stations).

Its not on the Active Rock chart but it is getting played as its showed up on the taking off chart on several occasions. Hot AC it is nowhere to be found and this is the BIG format for them. If they crack this format the song WILL be a hit. It was on the taking off chart for a couple of days as 1 station was playing it but thats it.

Time will tell but at the moment it's not doing as well as Ordinary Love, Invisible or GOYB.

It's still early but it's doing ok(at best) for the time being

It's doing well on AAA, which they always do well on. It's rising on both the Alternative and Mainstream charts but it's not even in the top 20 of those formats yet(Mainstream is a very weak format, not many stations).

Its not on the Active Rock chart but it is getting played as its showed up on the taking off chart on several occasions. Hot AC it is nowhere to be found and this is the BIG format for them. If they crack this format the song WILL be a hit. It was on the taking off chart for a couple of days as 1 station was playing it but thats it.

Time will tell but at the moment it's not doing as well as Ordinary Love, Invisible or GOYB.

Which isn't good :(

Which isn't good :(

It's only been two weeks, so if you were to give it a grade right now, I would say F.

However, it is getting AirPlay across multiple formats and still being added on almost all of them. I think when all is said and done, this will have some measure of success....how big that success will be is what is a mystery.

Also remember that it has ZERO downloads to help it on charts. Airplay only charts for today's radio is not a very good measure of a song's success. SOI is U2's attempt at making an ALBUM for listeners to experience as a whole. With now over 40 million people at least accessing SOI, I'd say U2 reached their goal of getting it's music to the widest range of people possible. It was never going to do well w/respect to charts/awards due to the way it was released.

By the time it's released as a physical CD, everyone who wants the album will already have it. Combine that with the fact that CD sales have gone off of a cliff, and charting positions for this album and any singles will be poor.

The wildcard is the extra songs on the physical release along with acoustic versions of existing songs. Are there enough die hard U2 fans left to buy a significant amount of the deluxe version? It will be interesting to see...but with no downloads counting for SOI or any singles, it's not going to be a chart topper in any way.

Up to 21 on the daily mediabase ROCK chart, first time it's made the daily chart. Up from 41 7 days ago. Small sample size from small format, but more airplay is still good.

I think the real win would be if it's able to cross over into adult contemporary. That's a very big format, and they are capable of crossing over as was evident by Ordinary Loves performance

Back
Top Bottom