The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 Boxscore Discussion - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Peeling off those Dollar Bills
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-16-2017, 02:04 PM   #121
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,641
Local Time: 12:03 PM
Could it be that u2 didn't get all their boxscores in before the deadline?I mean GNR definitely haven't as the arena tour hasn't been announced.

Top boxscore was for the Paris shows wasn't it? Not Brazil
__________________

rennowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #122
Blue Crack Addict
 
prbiker15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 15,584
Local Time: 08:03 AM
So I see that I didn't wrap up this thread properly.

THE JOSHUA TREE TOUR 2017: 1ST LEG - NORTH AMERICA

GROSS: $123,766,509
ATTENDANCE: 1,043,414
AVERAGE GROSS: $6,188,325
AVERAGE ATTENDANCE: 52,171
AVERAGE TICKET PRICE: $118.62
SHOWS: 20
SELLOUTS: 20


THE JOSHUA TREE TOUR 2017: 2ND LEG - EUROPE

GROSS: $84,949,068
ATTENDANCE: 744,454
AVERAGE GROSS: $7,079,089
AVERAGE ATTENDANCE: 62,038
AVERAGE TICKET PRICE: $114.11
SHOWS: 12
SELLOUTS: 12


THE JOSHUA TREE TOUR 2017: 3RD LEG - NORTH AMERICA

GROSS: $38,585,915
ATTENDANCE: 350,292
AVERAGE GROSS: $4,823,239
AVERAGE ATTENDANCE: 43,787
AVERAGE TICKET PRICE: $110.15
SHOWS: 8
SELLOUTS: 8


THE JOSHUA TREE TOUR 2017: 4TH LEG - LATIN AMERICA

GROSS: $69,689,448
ATTENDANCE: 574,976
AVERAGE GROSS: $6,968,945
AVERAGE ATTENDANCE: 57,498
AVERAGE TICKET PRICE: $121.20
SHOWS: 10
SELLOUTS: 10


THE JOSHUA TREE TOUR 2017: TOTAL STATS

GROSS: $316,990,940
ATTENDANCE: 2,713,136
AVERAGE GROSS: $6,339,819
AVERAGE ATTENDANCE: 54,263
AVERAGE TICKET PRICE: $116.84
SHOWS: 50
SELLOUTS: 50


I think they'll get the top spot in those year-end charts. We'll see.
__________________

prbiker15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #123
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,641
Local Time: 12:03 PM
Boxscore: TOP 25 TOURS (2017) (Billboard Year-End Charts)

ARTIST(S) - TOTAL GROSS - TOTAL ATTENDEES - NO. OF SHOWS

1 - U2 - $316,990,940 - 2,713,136 - 50
2 - GUNS N' ROSES - $313,691,061 - 2,904,270 - 80
3 - COLDPLAY - $278,179,596 - 2,708,420 - 57
4 - BRUNO MARS - $159,305,612 - 1,567,230 - 106
5 - DEPECHE MODE - $123,491,472 - 1,565,455 - 60
6 - ED SHEERAN - $122,286,051 - 1,496,352 - 105
7 - THE ROLLING STONES - $119,957,689 - 755,345 - 14

They did it ,only just 3 million in it
rennowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:24 PM   #124
Blue Crack Addict
 
prbiker15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 15,584
Local Time: 08:03 AM
Very nice. St. Louis would have brought it to $320 million.
prbiker15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:05 PM   #125
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,887
Local Time: 10:03 PM
But lost on overall attendance, and would have done so even if St Louis had gone ahead.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:58 PM   #126
War Child
 
Mac_Fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 529
Local Time: 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prbiker15 View Post
Very nice. St. Louis would have brought it to $320 million.
The St. Louis haul would have made a nice exclamation point.
Mac_Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:06 PM   #127
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
YBORCITY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: FLA
Posts: 5,384
Local Time: 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
But lost on overall attendance, and would have done so even if St Louis had gone ahead.
But they played 30 less shows than GnR.
YBORCITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:12 AM   #128
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,477
Local Time: 12:03 PM
Some shows that were reported as "Sold Out" were not even close to selling out - Heinz Field in Pittsburgh had part of the upper deck curtained off - so it is best to take numbers reported by the promoter - and from pollstar with a grain of salt as there is nothing that tracks ticket sales with any degree of accuracy on a global scale.

Still the JT Tour did very well and I am glad they did it.
Yahweh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:27 AM   #129
Refugee
 
hasin73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangladesh.
Posts: 1,462
Local Time: 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennowba View Post
Boxscore: TOP 25 TOURS (2017) (Billboard Year-End Charts)

ARTIST(S) - TOTAL GROSS - TOTAL ATTENDEES - NO. OF SHOWS

1 - U2 - $316,990,940 - 2,713,136 - 50
2 - GUNS N' ROSES - $313,691,061 - 2,904,270 - 80
3 - COLDPLAY - $278,179,596 - 2,708,420 - 57
4 - BRUNO MARS - $159,305,612 - 1,567,230 - 106
5 - DEPECHE MODE - $123,491,472 - 1,565,455 - 60
6 - ED SHEERAN - $122,286,051 - 1,496,352 - 105
7 - THE ROLLING STONES - $119,957,689 - 755,345 - 14

They did it ,only just 3 million in it
hasin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:13 AM   #130
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,641
Local Time: 12:03 PM
To think the nearest were 3 million dollars away but played 30 shows more then u2. Guns and roses played to 200k more people but that was always going to be the case seeing as they did 80 shows compared to U2's 50
rennowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:37 AM   #131
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
CosmoKramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,288
Local Time: 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennowba View Post
To think the nearest were 3 million dollars away but played 30 shows more then u2. Guns and roses played to 200k more people but that was always going to be the case seeing as they did 80 shows compared to U2's 50


The true measure of success is gross, always has been. Attendance is a nice feather in your cap but gross is the only thing that matters.
CosmoKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:56 AM   #132
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,641
Local Time: 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
The true measure of success is gross, always has been. Attendance is a nice feather in your cap but gross is the only thing that matters.


True, just imagine if u2 had done 80 shows like gnr. There wouldn't have been any competition
rennowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:18 PM   #133
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
CosmoKramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,288
Local Time: 12:03 PM
The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 Boxscore Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennowba View Post
True, just imagine if u2 had done 80 shows like gnr. There wouldn't have been any competition


If they went all out and toured Australia, New Zealand, Japan, most of Europe....yeah, it would have been really huge (what they did in only 50 shows was amazing too).
CosmoKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:48 PM   #134
War Child
 
Mac_Fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 529
Local Time: 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennowba View Post
Boxscore: TOP 25 TOURS (2017) (Billboard Year-End Charts)

ARTIST(S) - TOTAL GROSS - TOTAL ATTENDEES - NO. OF SHOWS

1 - U2 - $316,990,940 - 2,713,136 - 50
2 - GUNS N' ROSES - $313,691,061 - 2,904,270 - 80
3 - COLDPLAY - $278,179,596 - 2,708,420 - 57
4 - BRUNO MARS - $159,305,612 - 1,567,230 - 106
5 - DEPECHE MODE - $123,491,472 - 1,565,455 - 60
6 - ED SHEERAN - $122,286,051 - 1,496,352 - 105
7 - THE ROLLING STONES - $119,957,689 - 755,345 - 14
I just noticed on the Wikipedia site that GNR is listed as grossing $430,380,000

But apparently they are taking into consideration that the GNR tour kicked off in 2016 and adding that to the 2017 gross (and counting).

From just a top grossing perspective, it would have been interesting if U2 had gone all out and covered the globe with the JT30 tour to see where it would have ended up.
Mac_Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:03 AM   #135
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 6,052
Local Time: 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Fly View Post
I just noticed on the Wikipedia site that GNR is listed as grossing $430,380,000

But apparently they are taking into consideration that the GNR tour kicked off in 2016 and adding that to the 2017 gross (and counting).

From just a top grossing perspective, it would have been interesting if U2 had gone all out and covered the globe with the JT30 tour to see where it would have ended up.
Not really. I get your point. That they could have had a mammoth tour if they would have just toured the world extensively. But it just seemed to get tired by the time it came back on the third leg. would much rather they put out new albums and not tour a 30 year old one. but thats me.
womanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:37 AM   #136
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,641
Local Time: 12:03 PM
If they had done 110 shows like the 360 tour they wouldn't have been far off topping it for gross
rennowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:51 AM   #137
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Rum Tum Tugger is a Curious Cat...
Posts: 6,663
Local Time: 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
The true measure of success is gross, always has been. Attendance is a nice feather in your cap but gross is the only thing that matters.
Well that depends. Does gross include product sales? More people seeing your show = more t-shirts, etc. sold.

I understand in terms of ranking these things that only gross counts, but in terms of the bottom line, merchandise make up a decent chunk of touring income.
Nick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:04 AM   #138
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 6,052
Local Time: 12:03 PM
speaking of tours, how badly did Guy O' fuck up on this current tour. Jesus. It really pisses me off. I have spent years defending U2's ticket prices, because - they have always been reasonable. But now, I just can't. The prices are stupid, and to price them this way after just touring through 6 - 10 months earlier is absurd.

They have half sold ARENAS!!! Guy O' is trashing the bands value and status for a couple hundred thousand per more per show. It's sad, and will end up losing them money in the future, as people view them as a band that they can't go see, that can't sell out a fucking arena, and that are rich assholes that preach about love and charity.

They had 45k people buy tickets in St. Louis JT show before it was cancelled and now they have about 10k people that have bought tickets to this show.
Fucking stupid.

ok, I got that off my chest.
womanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:33 AM   #139
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Rum Tum Tugger is a Curious Cat...
Posts: 6,663
Local Time: 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
speaking of tours, how badly did Guy O' fuck up on this current tour. Jesus. It really pisses me off. I have spent years defending U2's ticket prices, because - they have always been reasonable. But now, I just can't. The prices are stupid, and to price them this way after just touring through 6 - 10 months earlier is absurd.

They have half sold ARENAS!!! Guy O' is trashing the bands value and status for a couple hundred thousand per more per show
Don't blame it on "Guy O'". He works for U2.
Nick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:36 AM   #140
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,641
Local Time: 12:03 PM
Seems to be a new tactic now where they put ticket prices as high as possible then as the gig gets closer they put the prices down and they sell.

It did seem to work on the jt tour


I do agree guy is one of the worst things to happen to the band though
__________________

rennowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2017, boxscore, discussion, the joshua tree, tour, u2

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×