Sunday times rich list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zepher25

Acrobat
U2 have been named ireland richest entertainers by the sunday times with assets with an estimated worth of 426 million pounds, they are 7th on the list of all irish rich people. does anyone know where they stack up in terms of entertainers world wide

zepher25 said:
U2 have been named ireland richest entertainers by the sunday times with assets with an estimated worth of 426 million pounds, they are 7th on the list of all irish rich people. does anyone know where they stack up in terms of entertainers world wide

Their actually probably wealthier than that. All of these least are estimates and while these artist accumulate more wealth every year, some of their estimated figures never change. Not sure what the world list would look like. I'm sure in terms of entertainment dollars that individually, each member of U2 ranks in the top 100 worldwide for highest paid entertainers. Not sure where they would rank collectively as a band though.

they base the list on the visible assets of the band (ie. songs, properties, reported contract worth.) they dont count thing that the paper has no access to like bank accounts.
i know that theres a list of entertainment richness somewhere but i cant find it, so if you know can u post a link. thanks

zepher25 said:
they base the list on the visible assets of the band (ie. songs, properties, reported contract worth.) they dont count thing that the paper has no access to like bank accounts.
i know that theres a list of entertainment richness somewhere but i cant find it, so if you know can u post a link. thanks

Its unknown precisely how much the band makes on tour although the GROSS figures are known. Its known roughly what the band make per album sold, but its not known exactly how many albums they have sold worldwide. The bands properties and contract only scratch the surface of the bands wealth.

The band have made a tremondous amount of money over the past 10 years, probably the most in their career, yet the estimated worth of the band sited above is about the same as it was 10 years ago, which is why I think its very inaccurate.

I don't have any immediate links on the matter though, just what I remember seeing over the years.

to even know what percentage of record sales they get you have to see their contract coz i know interscope would get a fair percentage but not as big as record companies would get with smaller bands who would have more trouble getting a contract with another label

I read somewhere that U2 gets a royalty percentage of 25%, which is very high. So, they get 25% of the PPD (Price Published to Dealer).

zepher25 said:

This time last year (& therefore mostly before the $300-400m grossing Vertigo Tour, approx 3-5m extra album sales, approx 2m extra dvd sales, etc) The Sunday Times Rich List had them at £440m (US $820m / Euros 550m) so how the holy cow have they gone down to £426m this year !?...Rolling Stone magazine recently said they were the world's top earners of 2005 with total profits of $154m (£90m) !

Last edited:
Just found the following :

'U2 scooped first place in the list and are now worth an enviable €690m. Digital and album sales plus box office receipts earned the band over €215m last year alone. The profits were split five ways with an equal share going to manager Paul McGuinness.'

So, just as seems most logical, this means they've actually gone up by 140milion euros in the last 12 months. So they must now be past the £500m barrier (& therefore even nearer / maybe even more than the Rolling Stones, ho ho).

ps - Coldplay are now put at £100m in this list (£25m for each member) with, i would say, approx 30m total album sales & they grossed $30m profit last year according to that same Rolling Stone list.

Last edited:
edge3 said:
Just found the following :

'U2 scooped first place in the list and are now worth an enviable €690m. Digital and album sales plus box office receipts earned the band over €215m last year alone. The profits were split five ways with an equal share going to manager Paul McGuinness.'

So, just as seems most logical, this means they've actually gone up by 140milion euros in the last 12 months. So they must now be past the £500m barrier (& therefore even nearer / maybe even more than the Rolling Stones, ho ho).

ps - Coldplay are now put at £100m in this list (£25m for each member) with, i would say, approx 30m total album sales & they grossed $30m profit last year according to that same Rolling Stone list.

I think the list still understates the wealth of the band. It is still simply an estimate. I think the band at a minimum is worth over 1 Billion US dollars now. The band have GROSSED over $900 million dollars just from ticket sales in their career. 143 million albums sold mostly at a 25% royalty rate. The sell of merchandise has brought in well over $200 million dollars. The band receives a 10 million dollar advance for each album it delivers regardless of actual sales. The bands ownership of a significant portion of Island Records brought in a good chunk of change when Polygram bought it, then Universal bought Polygram. Even the sell of singles back in the 80s brought in several million dollars. Then there are royalties the band receives when other artist or organizations use their music or part of their music. Every time one of their songs gets played on the radio in most parts of the world, the band receives royalties.

Right i've now got the magazine !

They now put U2 at £469m (690m Euros / 677m Euros now / $834m now) saying :

'...(U2) made the most money of any rock act in the world last year at £146.7m (source : that Billboard Money Makers List, from Jan 2006, the same one you posted STING), with their HTDAAB and the Vertigo tour, according to America's Billboard magazine. U2 get a 20% cut of the sales, about £29m. This brings their career earnings and back catalogue value to £469m, shared with their manager Paul M., 54. But family comes first - they postponed recent concerts due to an illness of a U2 family member'.

ps - they also now put the Rolling Stones at £540m having made £87.6m last year (source : same Billboard Money Makers list, 2nd on the list). This is £50m more than last year so this obviously means the Stones must make a lot more than 20% on all sales !

Finally, Coldplay - now they've collectively gone up by £60m from £40m last year to £100m this year & yet they 'only' made £29.7m on that Billboard Money Makers list (6th on the list) !? so i don't quite understand how that's possible... fair play to them though - that's impressive !

Last edited:
edge3 said:
Right i've now got the magazine !

They now put U2 at £469m (690m Euros / 677m Euros now / $834m now) saying :

'...(U2) made the most money of any rock act in the world last year at £146.7m (source : that Billboard Money Makers List, from Jan 2006, the same one you posted STING), with their HTDAAB and the Vertigo tour, according to America's Billboard magazine. U2 get a 20% cut of the sales, about £29m. This brings their career earnings and back catalogue value to £469m, shared with their manager Paul M., 54. But family comes first - they postponed recent concerts due to an illness of a U2 family member'.

ps - they also now put the Rolling Stones at £540m having made £87.6m last year (source : same Billboard Money Makers list, 2nd on the list). This is £50m more than last year so this obviously means the Stones must make a lot more than 20% on all sales !

Finally, Coldplay - now they've collectively gone up by £60m from £40m last year to £100m this year & yet they 'only' made £29.7m on that Billboard Money Makers list (6th on the list) !? so i don't quite understand how that's possible... fair play to them though - that's impressive !

I've posted concert data from Amusement Business as reported in Billboard, but I don't recall ever posting a money makers list from Billboard. U2 get a 25% royalty rate on the sell of each album. But their percentage take that they make on each ticket sold is much higher as it is for nearly all big artist in the industry. If U2 only got a 20% cut of the tour GROSS from Vertigo, that would mean that the cost of the tour was essentially $320 million dollars. Knowing what we know from the cost of Elevation with its total GROSS of $143 million dollars, we know that it is impossible that the Vertigo Tour cost $320 million dollars.

STING2 said:

I've posted concert data from Amusement Business as reported in Billboard, but I don't recall ever posting a money makers list from Billboard U2 get a 25% royalty rate on the sell of each album. But their percentage take that they make on each ticket sold is much higher as it is for nearly all big artist in the industry. If U2 only got a 20% cut of the tour GROSS from Vertigo, that would mean that the cost of the tour was essentially $320 million dollars. Knowing what we know from the cost of Elevation with its total GROSS of $143 million dollars, we know that it is impossible that the Vertigo Tour cost $320 million dollars.

Oh yeah, it was BeLIEve & Soldatti who posted it :

(01-20-2006) U2 Tops Billboard's Money Makers Chart - Billboard*

U2 Tops Billboard's Money Makers Chart

With $255,022,633.35, U2 reigns supreme on Billboard's inaugural Money Makers chart, which brings together Nielsen Music data and the magazine's Boxscore numbers to create a master top 20 chart of acts that generated the most income during 2005. The list includes album and digital sales as well as accumulated box-office receipts. U2 ranked 27th in album sales, ninth in digital sales and No. 1 at the box office.

The chart calculates aggregate album and digital sales for the 11-month window that stretched from the first Nielsen SoundScan sales week of 2005, which ended Jan. 9, through the week that ended Dec. 4, and marries that data with accumulated box-office receipts that reflect the same tracking period.

Album sales data are not just for an act's current titles, but for all titles, including catalog, tracked during the first 11 months of 2005. Digital data, likewise, includes all tracks available via paid downloads.

With $152,356,754.50, the Rolling Stones came in at No. 2, thanks to a No. 2 Boxscore rank and a top 25 showing with digital tracks. Kenny Chesney finished a distant third with $87,731,463.50, propelled by a No. 4 album sales rank and a No. 8 finish in Boxscore.

Paul McCartney was close behind at No. 4 with $84,263,375.10, followed by Elton John with $77,150,061.65. Without credit for the 1.3 million units that the Beatles sold during this 11-month period, McCartney's album rank would be lower than No. 100. Such an adjustment would move him from No. 4 to No. 7 on the Money Makers list.

The top 10 is rounded out by Celine Dion ($76,137,905.65), 50 Cent ($75,351,514.85), Green Day ($71,753,415.60), Neil Diamond ($70,203,895.50) and the Eagles ($67,524,283.25).

For point of reference, the Money Makers chart includes a column that shows how artists fared in terms of radio play, utilizing Nielsen BDS tracking from all stations of all formats -- including those that do not belong to Billboard or Billboard Radio Monitor chart panels -- for the same 11-month window.

However, since artists are not compensated for radio play, and because there is no industry standard that can be applied to the performance rights that publishers and writers receive for radio airplay, a monetary value was not assigned to the Nielsen BDS detections. Thus, radio play does not have any bearing on Money Makers' standings.

...& from Soldatti :

Found this while surfing the net.....not yet on the Billboard website though.

Billboard's Money Makers list for 2005
By Tamara Conniff and Geoff Mayfield
Jan 23, 2006, 22:16 GMT

Billboard`s Money Makers chart brings together Nielsen Music data and our Boxscore numbers to create a master top 20 chart of acts that generated the most income during 2005. The list includes album and digital sales as well as accumulated box-office receipts. These artists are at the top of their game and range from legacy acts to pop stars to hip-hop phenomenons

1. U2: $255,022,633.35

U2 has become one of the most powerful touring and recording acts in the world. The success of its album 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb' continued to build in 2005, and its Vertigo tour busted box-office records across the country, thanks to the top 10 modern rock single 'All Because of You.' The group also pursued a variety of social agendas via a performance at Live 8 and guitarist the Edge`s work with Music Rising, which will provide new instruments for musicians affected by Hurricane Katrina.

2. The Rolling Stones: $152,356,754.40

The Rolling Stones never stop. And they never cease to amaze legions of concertgoers who are willing to pay whatever price to catch a glimpse of them in action. 'A Bigger Bang' was the Rolling Stones` most critically acclaimed album in years, debuting at No. 3 on The Billboard 200. Keith Richards and Mick Jagger wrote together tirelessly and found their old spark on the new album, produced by Don Was. 'A Bigger Bang' also received a Grammy Award nomination for best rock album.

3. Kenny Chesney: $87,731,463.50

Kenny Chesney released two platinum albums in 2005, but garnered more headlines for his quickie marriage and annulment to actress Renee Zellweger. Early in the year, the BNA Records artist released what the label described as his acoustic singer/songwriter album, 'Be As You Are: Songs From an Old Blue Chair.' Despite the fact that no singles from the project were worked to radio, it spent four weeks at No. 1 on Billboard`s Top Country Albums chart. Nine months later, Chesney was back with 'The Road and the Radio,' which spent two weeks at No. 1. He also notched three top 10 singles in 2005, including the No. 1 hit 'Anything but Mine.'

4. Paul McCartney: $84,263,375.10

While posting his usual gargantuan tour grosses at the box office, Paul McCartney also managed to release arguably his best studio album in more than 20 years. Produced by Nigel Godrich (Radiohead, Beck), 'Chaos and Creation in the Backyard' found the ex-Beatle returning to the one-man-band roots of his earliest solo efforts, resulting in a Grammy nomination for album of the year. The project was exemplified by the irresistible single 'Fine Line,' which appeared in TV commercials for Lexus. His unhinged performance of 'Helter Skelter' was also a highlight of Live 8.

5. Elton John: $77,150,061.65

Albums, Broadway, tours, TV, management _ you name it, Elton John can do it. His Las Vegas residency at the Colosseum at Caesars Palace is a huge success. He released 'Elton`s Christmas Party' exclusively through Starbucks this past fall to great acclaim. He sold Twenty-First Artists, his London-based management company (whose roster includes James Blunt), to the Sanctuary Group in April 2005 for $30.1 million. John and Bernie Taupin are writing a sequel to 'Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy,' and he also has a development deal with Touchstone Television for a series about a rock star and his entourage.

6. Celine Dion: $76,137,905.65

Celine Dion invented a brilliant live-performance model where she does not have to tour, thanks to her Las Vegas residency. 'A New Day ...' celebrated its second anniversary at the Colosseum at Caesars Palace _ the show has been sold out since day one. Additionally, she released a two-disc French greatest-hits collection, 'On Ne Change Pas.' Ever a brand marketer, she launched new fragrance, Belong. She also offered a special Mother`s Day performance of 'A New Day . . .' that raised more than $1 million for UNICEF`s Tsunami Recovery Fund.

7. 50 Cent: $75,351,514.85

50 Cent is a triple threat with his albums, movies and tours. 'The Massacre' was the second-highest-selling album last year, fueled by the singles 'Disco Inferno' and 'Candy Shop' plus his pairings with the Game on 'How We Do' and 'Hate It or Love It.' He made his feature film debut in 'Get Rich or Die Tryin` ' and hit the road with the Anger Management 3 tour. Always looking to extend his reach, 50 Cent inked a production deal between his G-Unit label and Lil Jon and announced an upcoming series of hip-hop novels in association with MTV/Pocket Books.

8. Green Day: $71,753,415.60

Green Day`s 'American Idiot' was the top-selling album for Warner Bros. in 2005 and was No. 3 on Billboard`s year-end list of the Top Billboard 200 Albums. The group also picked up six Billboard Music Awards, and its American Idiot tour grossed $36.5 million from 76 shows, according to Billboard Boxscore. The outing landed at No. 10 in the year-end ranking of top tours. And Green Day`s hit song 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams' is nominated for the record of the year Grammy.

9. Neil Diamond: $70,203,895.50

Neil Diamond is a fan magnet for all ages. He sells out his arena tours and keeps ticket prices affordable. In 2005, he released one of his most critically acclaimed albums, '12 Songs,' which Rick Rubin produced. The album completely revitalized him as a recording artist and introduced him to a hipper, younger audience.

10. The Eagles: $67,524,283.25

The Eagles sometimes threaten to stop touring, but their fans know it is not true. In fact, the band redefined the value of the concert experience for elite acts. The Eagles` most recent release, the DVD 'Farewell I: Live From Melbourne,' held the No. 1 position atop the Billboard DVD chart. 'No More Cloudy Days,' a track pulled from the DVD, received adult contemporary airplay, remaining on Billboard`s AC chart for more than half a year. Additionally, the group`s summer TV special won its time slot among the 18-49 demographic.

11. Dave Matthews Band: $59,567,479.25

Dave Matthews Band is one of the most successful acts to break out in the 1990s. The band`s 2005 studio album, 'Stand Up,' shot straight to No. 1 on The Billboard 200 and has since sold 1.3 million copies. The single 'American Baby' got as high as No. 16 on The Billboard Hot 100 and No. 8 on the Adult Top 40 chart. DMB also continues to sell out major arenas.

12. Rod Stewart: $58,454,500.85

Rod Stewart`s comeback has no end. The rock-star-turned-crooner reclaimed the spotlight under the guidance of music impresario Clive Davis. In 2005, Stewart put out the fourth edition of his Great American Songbook series. The album, 'Thanks for the Memory ... The Great American Songbook, Vol. IV,' debuted at No. 2 on The Billboard 200. A boxed set was then released containing all four albums. Next, he plans to record an album of Motown tunes. His tours attract audiences of all ages.

13. Toby Keith: $53,033,288.35

Toby Keith had a huge year in 2005, splitting with DreamWorks Records to launch his own label, Show Dog Nashville, and signing his first film deal with Paramount Pictures. On the charts, Keith released his last DreamWorks album, 'Honkytonk University,' which spent seven weeks at No. 1 on Billboard`s Top Country Albums list. The album spawned the hit singles 'Honkytonk U' and 'Big Blue Note,' as well as 'As Good As I Once Was,' which spent six weeks at No. 1 on Top Country Songs.

14. Coldplay: $51,705,752.25

Although it divided critics, Coldplay`s third album, 'X&Y,' was an immediate smash around the world and spawned three hits: 'Speed of Sound,' 'Fix You' and 'Talk.' The group`s newfound level of commercial success in the United States was borne out by headlining slots at the Coachella and Austin City Limits festivals; its fall North American tour, Twisted Logic, generated the band`s biggest box-office numbers to date.

15. Rascal Flatts: $46,819,102.65

2005 was quite a year for country upstarts Rascal Flatts. The trio entered the upper echelon of live country performers, earning it the breakthrough touring act of 2005 accolade at the Billboard Roadwork `05 Touring Awards - the act grossed $26 million from 83 dates. Rascal Flatts recently received its first Grammy nomination for 'Bless the Broken Road,' which made a showing in the best country vocal performance for duo or group category. The song reached No. 1 on Billboard`s Top Country Songs chart.

16. Mariah Carey: $46,388,646.80

Mariah Carey came back in 2005 with a vengeance. With nearly 5 million copies sold in the United States, 'The Emancipation of Mimi' was the top-selling album of the year. (It sold 8 million worldwide.) 'Don`t Forget About Us' became her 17th song to top The Billboard Hot 100, tying Carey with Elvis Presley for the most No. 1s on the chart. At the 2005 Billboard Music Awards, she took home five trophies, including Hot 100 song of the year for 'We Belong Together.' Her eight Grammy nominations have made her a contender in the album and record of the year categories.

17. Jimmy Buffett: $43,239,800.45

Jimmy Buffett is not just an artist: He is a way of life. On the touring side he can sell out as many venues as he chooses to play. In 2005, he was a top 10 touring artist with grosses that exceeded $41 million. Fans gobbled up his sixth 'official' bootleg, the double-CD set 'Live at Fenway Park,' which also contained a DVD.

18. Kelly Clarkson: $39,306,713.05

Kelly Clarkson has become a banner artist outside of her 'American Idol' roots, as was proven by the success of her Breakaway tour. She was No. 1 on 11 Billboard year-end charts, including Hot 100 Artists-Female and Pop 100 Songs. She also received two Grammy nominations, for best female pop vocal ('Since U Been Gone') and best pop vocal album ('Breakaway').

19. Gwen Stefani: $38,963,515.75

Gwen Stefani proved that she has as much headlining power as a solo artist as she does with her group No Doubt. Her smash single 'Hollaback Girl' became the first song in the digital era to sell more than 1 million downloads. At the 2005 Billboard Music Awards, she won the digital song ('Hollaback Girl') and new artist of the year trophies. Additionally, she received five Grammy nominations, including for album ('Love. Angel. Music. Baby.') and record of the year ('Hollaback Girl').

20: Bruce Springsteen: $38,951,568.30

Without question, Bruce Springsteen is one of the all-time greats. As a performer, he can shift seamlessly from arena-level tours with the E Street Band to an intimate solo theater tour like he did in support of his latest studio album, 'Devils & Dust.' The Columbia Records release debuted at No. 1 on The Billboard 200. In the meantime, Springsteen reportedly re-signed with the label for $50 million.

Reporting by Jonathan Cohen, Gail Mitchell, Melinda Newman, Michael Paoletta, Phyllis Stark and Ray Waddell.

Now, it seems that by using only these Billboard figures, The Sunday Times Rich List must have missed quite a lot of Rest Of World gross figures for U2 - i mean the Total worldwide gross just for the Vertigo Tour alone has ended up being $333,206,884 !

Also STING, i'm not too sure if you noticed, but The Sunday Times Rich List figures have actually been translated into British Pounds Sterling from these exact Billboard US dollar figures. Thus US$255m = £146.7m (when they translated) & 20% of £146.7m = £29m / US$51.6m (now).

Last edited:
edge3 said:

Oh yeah, it was BeLIEve & Soldatti who posted it :

(01-20-2006) U2 Tops Billboard's Money Makers Chart - Billboard*

U2 Tops Billboard's Money Makers Chart

With $255,022,633.35, U2 reigns supreme on Billboard's inaugural Money Makers chart, which brings together Nielsen Music data and the magazine's Boxscore numbers to create a master top 20 chart of acts that generated the most income during 2005. The list includes album and digital sales as well as accumulated box-office receipts. U2 ranked 27th in album sales, ninth in digital sales and No. 1 at the box office.

The chart calculates aggregate album and digital sales for the 11-month window that stretched from the first Nielsen SoundScan sales week of 2005, which ended Jan. 9, through the week that ended Dec. 4, and marries that data with accumulated box-office receipts that reflect the same tracking period.

Album sales data are not just for an act's current titles, but for all titles, including catalog, tracked during the first 11 months of 2005. Digital data, likewise, includes all tracks available via paid downloads.

With $152,356,754.50, the Rolling Stones came in at No. 2, thanks to a No. 2 Boxscore rank and a top 25 showing with digital tracks. Kenny Chesney finished a distant third with $87,731,463.50, propelled by a No. 4 album sales rank and a No. 8 finish in Boxscore.

Paul McCartney was close behind at No. 4 with $84,263,375.10, followed by Elton John with $77,150,061.65. Without credit for the 1.3 million units that the Beatles sold during this 11-month period, McCartney's album rank would be lower than No. 100. Such an adjustment would move him from No. 4 to No. 7 on the Money Makers list.

The top 10 is rounded out by Celine Dion ($76,137,905.65), 50 Cent ($75,351,514.85), Green Day ($71,753,415.60), Neil Diamond ($70,203,895.50) and the Eagles ($67,524,283.25).

For point of reference, the Money Makers chart includes a column that shows how artists fared in terms of radio play, utilizing Nielsen BDS tracking from all stations of all formats -- including those that do not belong to Billboard or Billboard Radio Monitor chart panels -- for the same 11-month window.

However, since artists are not compensated for radio play, and because there is no industry standard that can be applied to the performance rights that publishers and writers receive for radio airplay, a monetary value was not assigned to the Nielsen BDS detections. Thus, radio play does not have any bearing on Money Makers' standings.

...& from Soldatti :

Found this while surfing the net.....not yet on the Billboard website though.

Billboard's Money Makers list for 2005
By Tamara Conniff and Geoff Mayfield
Jan 23, 2006, 22:16 GMT

Billboard`s Money Makers chart brings together Nielsen Music data and our Boxscore numbers to create a master top 20 chart of acts that generated the most income during 2005. The list includes album and digital sales as well as accumulated box-office receipts. These artists are at the top of their game and range from legacy acts to pop stars to hip-hop phenomenons

1. U2: $255,022,633.35

U2 has become one of the most powerful touring and recording acts in the world. The success of its album 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb' continued to build in 2005, and its Vertigo tour busted box-office records across the country, thanks to the top 10 modern rock single 'All Because of You.' The group also pursued a variety of social agendas via a performance at Live 8 and guitarist the Edge`s work with Music Rising, which will provide new instruments for musicians affected by Hurricane Katrina.

2. The Rolling Stones: $152,356,754.40

The Rolling Stones never stop. And they never cease to amaze legions of concertgoers who are willing to pay whatever price to catch a glimpse of them in action. 'A Bigger Bang' was the Rolling Stones` most critically acclaimed album in years, debuting at No. 3 on The Billboard 200. Keith Richards and Mick Jagger wrote together tirelessly and found their old spark on the new album, produced by Don Was. 'A Bigger Bang' also received a Grammy Award nomination for best rock album.

3. Kenny Chesney: $87,731,463.50

Kenny Chesney released two platinum albums in 2005, but garnered more headlines for his quickie marriage and annulment to actress Renee Zellweger. Early in the year, the BNA Records artist released what the label described as his acoustic singer/songwriter album, 'Be As You Are: Songs From an Old Blue Chair.' Despite the fact that no singles from the project were worked to radio, it spent four weeks at No. 1 on Billboard`s Top Country Albums chart. Nine months later, Chesney was back with 'The Road and the Radio,' which spent two weeks at No. 1. He also notched three top 10 singles in 2005, including the No. 1 hit 'Anything but Mine.'

4. Paul McCartney: $84,263,375.10

While posting his usual gargantuan tour grosses at the box office, Paul McCartney also managed to release arguably his best studio album in more than 20 years. Produced by Nigel Godrich (Radiohead, Beck), 'Chaos and Creation in the Backyard' found the ex-Beatle returning to the one-man-band roots of his earliest solo efforts, resulting in a Grammy nomination for album of the year. The project was exemplified by the irresistible single 'Fine Line,' which appeared in TV commercials for Lexus. His unhinged performance of 'Helter Skelter' was also a highlight of Live 8.

5. Elton John: $77,150,061.65

Albums, Broadway, tours, TV, management _ you name it, Elton John can do it. His Las Vegas residency at the Colosseum at Caesars Palace is a huge success. He released 'Elton`s Christmas Party' exclusively through Starbucks this past fall to great acclaim. He sold Twenty-First Artists, his London-based management company (whose roster includes James Blunt), to the Sanctuary Group in April 2005 for $30.1 million. John and Bernie Taupin are writing a sequel to 'Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy,' and he also has a development deal with Touchstone Television for a series about a rock star and his entourage.

6. Celine Dion: $76,137,905.65

Celine Dion invented a brilliant live-performance model where she does not have to tour, thanks to her Las Vegas residency. 'A New Day ...' celebrated its second anniversary at the Colosseum at Caesars Palace _ the show has been sold out since day one. Additionally, she released a two-disc French greatest-hits collection, 'On Ne Change Pas.' Ever a brand marketer, she launched new fragrance, Belong. She also offered a special Mother`s Day performance of 'A New Day . . .' that raised more than $1 million for UNICEF`s Tsunami Recovery Fund.

7. 50 Cent: $75,351,514.85

50 Cent is a triple threat with his albums, movies and tours. 'The Massacre' was the second-highest-selling album last year, fueled by the singles 'Disco Inferno' and 'Candy Shop' plus his pairings with the Game on 'How We Do' and 'Hate It or Love It.' He made his feature film debut in 'Get Rich or Die Tryin` ' and hit the road with the Anger Management 3 tour. Always looking to extend his reach, 50 Cent inked a production deal between his G-Unit label and Lil Jon and announced an upcoming series of hip-hop novels in association with MTV/Pocket Books.

8. Green Day: $71,753,415.60

Green Day`s 'American Idiot' was the top-selling album for Warner Bros. in 2005 and was No. 3 on Billboard`s year-end list of the Top Billboard 200 Albums. The group also picked up six Billboard Music Awards, and its American Idiot tour grossed $36.5 million from 76 shows, according to Billboard Boxscore. The outing landed at No. 10 in the year-end ranking of top tours. And Green Day`s hit song 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams' is nominated for the record of the year Grammy.

9. Neil Diamond: $70,203,895.50

Neil Diamond is a fan magnet for all ages. He sells out his arena tours and keeps ticket prices affordable. In 2005, he released one of his most critically acclaimed albums, '12 Songs,' which Rick Rubin produced. The album completely revitalized him as a recording artist and introduced him to a hipper, younger audience.

10. The Eagles: $67,524,283.25

The Eagles sometimes threaten to stop touring, but their fans know it is not true. In fact, the band redefined the value of the concert experience for elite acts. The Eagles` most recent release, the DVD 'Farewell I: Live From Melbourne,' held the No. 1 position atop the Billboard DVD chart. 'No More Cloudy Days,' a track pulled from the DVD, received adult contemporary airplay, remaining on Billboard`s AC chart for more than half a year. Additionally, the group`s summer TV special won its time slot among the 18-49 demographic.

11. Dave Matthews Band: $59,567,479.25

Dave Matthews Band is one of the most successful acts to break out in the 1990s. The band`s 2005 studio album, 'Stand Up,' shot straight to No. 1 on The Billboard 200 and has since sold 1.3 million copies. The single 'American Baby' got as high as No. 16 on The Billboard Hot 100 and No. 8 on the Adult Top 40 chart. DMB also continues to sell out major arenas.

12. Rod Stewart: $58,454,500.85

Rod Stewart`s comeback has no end. The rock-star-turned-crooner reclaimed the spotlight under the guidance of music impresario Clive Davis. In 2005, Stewart put out the fourth edition of his Great American Songbook series. The album, 'Thanks for the Memory ... The Great American Songbook, Vol. IV,' debuted at No. 2 on The Billboard 200. A boxed set was then released containing all four albums. Next, he plans to record an album of Motown tunes. His tours attract audiences of all ages.

13. Toby Keith: $53,033,288.35

Toby Keith had a huge year in 2005, splitting with DreamWorks Records to launch his own label, Show Dog Nashville, and signing his first film deal with Paramount Pictures. On the charts, Keith released his last DreamWorks album, 'Honkytonk University,' which spent seven weeks at No. 1 on Billboard`s Top Country Albums list. The album spawned the hit singles 'Honkytonk U' and 'Big Blue Note,' as well as 'As Good As I Once Was,' which spent six weeks at No. 1 on Top Country Songs.

14. Coldplay: $51,705,752.25

Although it divided critics, Coldplay`s third album, 'X&Y,' was an immediate smash around the world and spawned three hits: 'Speed of Sound,' 'Fix You' and 'Talk.' The group`s newfound level of commercial success in the United States was borne out by headlining slots at the Coachella and Austin City Limits festivals; its fall North American tour, Twisted Logic, generated the band`s biggest box-office numbers to date.

15. Rascal Flatts: $46,819,102.65

2005 was quite a year for country upstarts Rascal Flatts. The trio entered the upper echelon of live country performers, earning it the breakthrough touring act of 2005 accolade at the Billboard Roadwork `05 Touring Awards - the act grossed $26 million from 83 dates. Rascal Flatts recently received its first Grammy nomination for 'Bless the Broken Road,' which made a showing in the best country vocal performance for duo or group category. The song reached No. 1 on Billboard`s Top Country Songs chart.

16. Mariah Carey: $46,388,646.80

Mariah Carey came back in 2005 with a vengeance. With nearly 5 million copies sold in the United States, 'The Emancipation of Mimi' was the top-selling album of the year. (It sold 8 million worldwide.) 'Don`t Forget About Us' became her 17th song to top The Billboard Hot 100, tying Carey with Elvis Presley for the most No. 1s on the chart. At the 2005 Billboard Music Awards, she took home five trophies, including Hot 100 song of the year for 'We Belong Together.' Her eight Grammy nominations have made her a contender in the album and record of the year categories.

17. Jimmy Buffett: $43,239,800.45

Jimmy Buffett is not just an artist: He is a way of life. On the touring side he can sell out as many venues as he chooses to play. In 2005, he was a top 10 touring artist with grosses that exceeded $41 million. Fans gobbled up his sixth 'official' bootleg, the double-CD set 'Live at Fenway Park,' which also contained a DVD.

18. Kelly Clarkson: $39,306,713.05

Kelly Clarkson has become a banner artist outside of her 'American Idol' roots, as was proven by the success of her Breakaway tour. She was No. 1 on 11 Billboard year-end charts, including Hot 100 Artists-Female and Pop 100 Songs. She also received two Grammy nominations, for best female pop vocal ('Since U Been Gone') and best pop vocal album ('Breakaway').

19. Gwen Stefani: $38,963,515.75

Gwen Stefani proved that she has as much headlining power as a solo artist as she does with her group No Doubt. Her smash single 'Hollaback Girl' became the first song in the digital era to sell more than 1 million downloads. At the 2005 Billboard Music Awards, she won the digital song ('Hollaback Girl') and new artist of the year trophies. Additionally, she received five Grammy nominations, including for album ('Love. Angel. Music. Baby.') and record of the year ('Hollaback Girl').

20: Bruce Springsteen: $38,951,568.30

Without question, Bruce Springsteen is one of the all-time greats. As a performer, he can shift seamlessly from arena-level tours with the E Street Band to an intimate solo theater tour like he did in support of his latest studio album, 'Devils & Dust.' The Columbia Records release debuted at No. 1 on The Billboard 200. In the meantime, Springsteen reportedly re-signed with the label for $50 million.

Reporting by Jonathan Cohen, Gail Mitchell, Melinda Newman, Michael Paoletta, Phyllis Stark and Ray Waddell.

Now, it seems that by using only these Billboard figures, The Sunday Times Rich List must have missed quite a lot of Rest Of World gross figures for U2 - i mean the Total worldwide gross just for the Vertigo Tour alone has ended up being $333,206,884 !

Also STING, i'm not too sure if you noticed, but The Sunday Times Rich List figures have actually been translated into British Pounds Sterling from these exact Billboard US dollar figures. Thus US$255m = £146.7m (when they translated) & 20% of £146.7m = £29m / US$51.6m (now).

Oh I noticed that, but thats not really the biggest thing I find wrong with the list. The claim that the band only make 20% on any thing that sell whether its and album or a ticket is grossly inaccurate. The bands smallest cut of any item sold is for albums and there they have had a 25% royalty rate for years. The largest amount of money the band now makes is from the sell of tickets. The band made $100 million dollars on the POPMART tour back in 1997 when ticket prices were less than half the of the price they are now, and the average cost per week of that tour adjusted for inflation was HIGHER than the Vertigo tour because it was ALL in stadiums.

The eligibility time period for this chart is from January 9, 2005 to December 4, 2005. Here is what U2 made on the road during those months in Tour Gross. More than half of the final figure comes from the 32 shows in Europe!

U2 VERTIGO GROSS figures from January 9, 2005 TO December 4, 2005

1ST LEG of VERTIGO WORLD TOUR: NORTH AMERICA

1, 2. San Diego, California : March 28, 30, 2005 : ipayOne Center at the Sports Arena : GROSS $2,909,029 : ATTENDANCE 29,140 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

3, 4. Anaheim, California : April 1-2, 2005 : Arrowhead Pond : GROSS $3,454,198 : ATTENDANCE 33,535 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

5, 6. Los Angeles, California : April 5-6, 2005 : Staples Center : GROSS $3,673,850 : ATTENDANCE 34,527 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

7, 8. San Jose, California : April 9-10, 2005 : HP Pavillion : GROSS $3,357,098 : ATTENDANCE 36,140 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

9, 10. Glendale, Arizona : April 14-15, 2005 : Glendale Arena : GROSS $3,198,861 : ATTENDANCE 34,905 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

11, 12. Denver Colorado : April 20-21, 2005 : Pepsi Center : GROSS $3,509,741 : ATTENDANCE 36,714 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

13, 14. Seattle, Washington : April 24-25, 2005 : Key Arena : GROSS $3,105,574 : ATTENDANCE 30,251 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

15, 16. Vancouver, British Columbia : April 28-29, 2005 : General Motors Place : GROSS $3,020,466 : ATTENDANCE 37,031 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

17, 18, 19, 20. Chicago, Illinois : May 7-12, 2005 : United Center : GROSS $7,541,679 : ATTENDANCE 77,173 : SHOWS 4 : SELLOUTS 4

21, 25. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania : May 14-22, 2005 : Wachovia Center : GROSS $3,767,178 : ATTENDANCE 39,273 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

22, 23. East Rutherford, New Jersey : May 17-18, 2005 : Continental Airlines Arena : GROSS $3,838,066 : ATTENDANCE 40,347 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

24. New York, New York : May 21, 2005 : Madison Square Garden : GROSS $1,907,086 : ATTENDANCE 18,415 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

26, 27, 28. Boston, Mass. : May 24, 26, 28, 2005 : FleetCenter : GROSS $5,071,565 : ATTENDANCE 51,658 : SHOWS 3 : SELLOUTS 3

1ST LEG of VERTIGO WORLD TOUR TOTALS

GROSS: $48,354,391
ATTENDANCE: 499,109
AVERAGE GROSS PER SHOW: $1,726,942.5
AVERAGE ATTENDANCE PER SHOW: 17,825
AVERAGE TICKET PRICE: $96.88
SHOWS: 28
SELLOUTS: 28

2ND LEG OF VERTIGO WORLD TOUR: EUROPE

29. Brussels, Belgium : June 10, 2005 : Koning Boudewijn Stadion : GROSS $4,864,554 : ATTENDANCE 60,499 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

30. Gelsenkirchen, Germany : June 12, 2005 : Arena AufSchalke : GROSS $4,203,947 : ATTENDANCE 59,120 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

31, 32. Manchester, England : June 14-15, 2005 : City Of Manchester Stadium : GROSS $11,119,740 : ATTENDANCE 107,671 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

33, 34. London, England : June 18-19, 2005 : Twickenham Stadium : GROSS $13,677,410 : ATTENDANCE 110,796 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

35. Glasgow, Scotland : June 21, 2005 : Hampden Park : GROSS $5,819,053 : ATTENDANCE 53,395 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

36, 37, 38. Dublin, Ireland : June 24-25, 27, 2005 : Croke Park : GROSS $21,163,695 : ATTENDANCE 246,743 : SHOWS 3 : SELLOUTS 3

39. Cardiff, Wales : June 29, 2005 : Millennium Stadium : GROSS $6,406,073 : ATTENDANCE 63,677 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

40. Vienna, Austria : July 2, 2005 : Ernst Happel Stadion : GROSS $4,200,416 : ATTENDANCE 55,645 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

41. Chorzow, Poland : July 5, 2005 : Stadion Slaski : GROSS $3,127,416 : ATTENDANCE 64,711 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

42. Berlin, Germany : July 7, 2005 : Olympiastadion : GROSS $4,725,530 : ATTENDANCE 70,443 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

43, 44. Paris, France : July 9-10, 2005 : Stade De France : GROSS $11,822,645 : ATTENDANCE 160,349 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

45, 46, 47. Amsterdam, The Netherlands : July 13, 15-16, 2005 : Amsterdam Arena : GROSS $13,022,200 : ATTENDANCE 165,516 : SHOWS 3 : SELLOUTS 3

48. Zurich, Switzerland : July 18, 2005 : Stadion Letzigrund : GROSS $3,574,993 : ATTENDANCE 44,260 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

49, 50. Milan, Italy : July 20-21, 2005 : Stadio San Siro : GROSS $7,565,264 : ATTENDANCE 137,427 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

51. Rome, Italy : July 23, 2005 : Stadio Olimpico : GROSS $4,010,779 : ATTENDANCE 67,002 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

52. Oslo, Norway : July 27, 2005 : Valle Hovin : GROSS $3,765,136 : ATTENDANCE 40,000 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

53. Goteborg, Sweden : July 29, 2005 : Ullevi Stadion : GROSS $4,081,864 : ATTENDANCE 58,478 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

54. Copenhagen, Denmark : July 31, 2005 : Parken Stadion : GROSS $3,650,294 : ATTENDANCE 50,000 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

55. Munich, Germany : August 3, 2005 : Olympiastadion : GROSS $5,343,379 : ATTENDANCE 77,435 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

56. Nice, France : August 5, 2005 : Parc des Sports Charles-Ehrmann : GROSS $3,548,702 : ATTENDANCE 51,900 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

57. Barcelona, Spain : August 7, 2005 : Camp Nou : GROSS $5,130,437 : ATTENDANCE 81,269 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

58. San Sebastian, Spain : August 9, 2005 : Estadio de Anoeta : GROSS $2,936,571 : ATTENDANCE 43,720 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

59. Madrid, Spain : August 11, 2005 : Estadio Vicente Calderon : GROSS $3,679,354 : ATTENDANCE 57,040 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

60. Lisbon, Portugal : August 14, 2005 : Estadio Jose Alvalade : GROSS $4,492,762 : ATTENDANCE 55,362 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

2ND LEG OF VERTIGO WORLD TOUR TOTALS

GROSS: $155,932,214
ATTENDANCE: 1,982,458
AVERAGE GROSS PER SHOW: $4,872,882
AVERAGE ATTENDANCE PER SHOW: 61,952
AVERAGE TICKET PRICE: $78.66
SHOWS: 32
SELLOUTS: 32

3RD LEG OF VERTIGO WORLD TOUR: NORTH AMERICA

61, 62, 63, 64. Toronto, Ontario : Sept. 12, 14, 16-17, 2005 : Air Canada Centre : GROSS $7,624,870 : ATTENDANCE 82,572 : SHOWS 4 : SELLOUTS 4

65, 66. Chicago, Illinois : Sept. 20-21, 2005 : United Center : GROSS $3,795,583 : ATTENDANCE 38,815 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

67. Minneapolis, Minn. : Sept. 23, 2005 : Target Center : GROSS $1,823,883 : ATTENDANCE 19,328 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

68. Milwaukee, Wis. : Sept. 25, 2005 : Bradley Center : GROSS $1,782,895 : ATTENDANCE 19,336 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

69, 70. Boston, Mass. : October 3-4, 2005 : TD Banknorth Garden : GROSS $3,381,429 : ATTENDANCE 34,488 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

71, 72, 73, 74, 75. New York, N.Y. : Oct. 7-8, 10-11, 14, 2005 : Madison Square Garden : GROSS $9,658,009 : ATTENDANCE 93,275 : SHOWS 5 : SELLOUTS 5

76, 77. Philadelphia, PA : Oct. 16-17, 2005 : Wachovia Center : GROSS $3,773,053 : ATTENDANCE 39,305 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

78, 79. Washington, D.C. : Oct. 19-20, 2005 : MCI Center : GROSS $3,902,569 : ATTENDANCE 38,181 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

80. Pittsburgh, PA : Oct. 22, 2005 : Melon Arena : GROSS $1,636,798 : ATTENDANCE 16,899 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

81, 82. Auburn Hills, Mich. : Oct. 24-25, 2005 : Palace of Auburn Hills : GROSS $3,951,103 : ATTENDANCE 41,379 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

83. Houston, TX : Oct. 28, 2005 : Toyota Center : GROSS $1,652,699 : ATTENDANCE 17,002 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

84. Dallas, TX : Oct. 29, 2005 : American Airlines Center : GROSS $1,689,471 : ATTENDANCE 17,988 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

85, 86. Los Angeles, Calif. : Nov. 1-2, 2005 : Staples Center : GROSS $3,656,978 : ATTENDANCE 34,291 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

87, 88. Las Vegas, Nev. : Nov. 4-5, 2005 : MGM Grand Garden : GROSS $3,864,843 : ATTENDANCE 31,863 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

89, 90. Oakland, Calif. : Nov. 8-9, 2005 : Oakland Arena : GROSS $3,638,620 : ATTENDANCE 36,340 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

91, 92. Miami, Fla. : Nov. 13-14, 2005 : American Airlines Arena : GROSS $3,589,942 : ATTENDANCE 37,354 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

93. Tampa, Fla. : Nov. 16, 2005 : St. Pete Times Forum : GROSS $1,825,243 : ATTENDANCE 19,354 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

94, 95. Atlanta, Ga. : Nov. 18-19, 2005 : Philips Arena : GROSS $3,500,572 : ATTENDANCE 36,334 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

96, 97. New York, N.Y. : Nov. 21-22, 2005 : Madison Square Garden : GROSS $3,859,828 : ATTENDANCE 37,314 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

98. Ottawa : Nov. 25, 2005 : Corel Centre : GROSS $1,486,710 : ATTENDANCE 18,647 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

99, 100. Montreal, Quebec : Nov. 26, 28, 2005 : Bell Centre : GROSS $3,575,491 : ATTENDANCE 43,294 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

3RD LEG OF VERTIGO WORLD TOUR TOTALS TO DATE

GROSS: $73,670,589
ATTENDANCE: 753,359
AVERAGE GROSS PER SHOW: $1,841,764
AVERAGE ATTENDANCE PER SHOW: 18,833
AVERAGE TICKET PRICE: $97.79
SHOWS: 40
SELLOUTS: 40

Combined 1st, 2nd, and 3rd LEG VERTIGO TOUR TOTALS TO DATE

GROSS: $277,957,194
ATTENDANCE: 3,234,926
SHOWS: 100
SELLOUTS: 100

The figures come from Amusement Business which are then posted in Billboards Boxscore Chart! U2's sales figure just from sell of tickets in the time frame sited by the above Billboard article is $277,957,194 ! Clearly the above article is inaccurate even when it comes to widely known information!

just a side note, while estimating how much the band should be worth these days, you shouldnt just add up all their revenues, they surely have spent money over the years, meaning their total revenues - their total costs would make the 440 m pound figure. seems reasonable to me.

all_i_want said:
just a side note, while estimating how much the band should be worth these days, you shouldnt just add up all their revenues, they surely have spent money over the years, meaning their total revenues - their total costs would make the 440 m pound figure. seems reasonable to me.

But houses and cars that have been purchased are still considered assets. In addition, the cost of their work, touring, recording the album, etc, is payed for through sell of albums and tickets.

In addition, how much the band has made through stocks as well as other business ventures is unknown, but with that type of money as a starting point, it could be well in excess of the figures were seeing.

£29m / $51m from £146.7m / $255m does seem small - ludicrously small if not downright impossible, in fact, when compared to The Rolling Stones : £50m / $89m from £87.6m / $152 & Coldplay : £60m / $107m from just £30m / $51m (htf !?).

...& i'm 95% certain that that recent Rolling Stone magazine rich list for 2005 was based on overall profits for the artists - with U2 also coming out on top with an overall profit, during 2005, of £90m / $154m (!?).

Last edited:
Here's that info from Rolling Stone magazine :

'Rock's Top Thirty Moneymakers
Compiled by Rob LaFranco

1. U2, $154.2 million
2. The Rolling Stones, $92.5 million
3. Eagles, $63.2 million
4. Paul McCartney, $56 million
5. Elton John, $48.9 million
6. Neil Diamond, $44.7 million
7. Jimmy Buffett, $44 million
8. Rod Stewart, $40.3 million
9. Dave Matthews Band, $39.6 million
10. Celine Dion, $38.5 million
11. Kenny Chesney, $31.5 million
12. Green Day, $31 million
13. Coldplay, $30.1 million
14. Destiny's Child, $24.8 million
15. Diddy, $24.3 million
16. Gwen Stefani, $23.9 million
17. Toby Keith, $22.2 million
18. Motley Crue, $22 million
19. 50 Cent, $19.7 million
20. Bruce Springsteen, $19.6 million
21. Eminem, $17.8 million
22. Jay-Z, $17.5 million
23. Barry Manilow, $17.2 million
24. Hilary Duff, $17.1 million
25. Kanye West, $16.9 million
26. Dr. Dre, $16.9 million
27. Rascal Flatts, $16.3 million
28. Aerosmith, $16.3 million
29. Bon Jovi, $15.8 million
30. Tom Petty, $14.9 million

Our Method The list was compiled using interviews with record executives, managers, lawyers and agents. It uses figures from Nielsen SoundScan, Pollstar, the Recording Industry Association of America, Amusement Business/Billboard and other sources. Net figures reflect performers' earnings after expenses have been deducted and managers, agents and lawyers have taken their cuts. All figures should be considered estimates. LaFranco, a former editor at Forbes, wrote the 2004 "Rich List" in RS 968.'

So question is : does 'Net figures reflect performers' earnings after expenses have been deducted and managers, agents and lawyers have taken their cuts' = overall profit for the artist ?

edge3 said:
Here's that info from Rolling Stone magazine :

'Rock's Top Thirty Moneymakers
Compiled by Rob LaFranco

1. U2, $154.2 million
2. The Rolling Stones, $92.5 million
3. Eagles, $63.2 million
4. Paul McCartney, $56 million
5. Elton John, $48.9 million
6. Neil Diamond, $44.7 million
7. Jimmy Buffett, $44 million
8. Rod Stewart, $40.3 million
9. Dave Matthews Band, $39.6 million
10. Celine Dion, $38.5 million
11. Kenny Chesney, $31.5 million
12. Green Day, $31 million
13. Coldplay, $30.1 million
14. Destiny's Child, $24.8 million
15. Diddy, $24.3 million
16. Gwen Stefani, $23.9 million
17. Toby Keith, $22.2 million
18. Motley Crue, $22 million
19. 50 Cent, $19.7 million
20. Bruce Springsteen, $19.6 million
21. Eminem, $17.8 million
22. Jay-Z, $17.5 million
23. Barry Manilow, $17.2 million
24. Hilary Duff, $17.1 million
25. Kanye West, $16.9 million
26. Dr. Dre, $16.9 million
27. Rascal Flatts, $16.3 million
28. Aerosmith, $16.3 million
29. Bon Jovi, $15.8 million
30. Tom Petty, $14.9 million

Our Method The list was compiled using interviews with record executives, managers, lawyers and agents. It uses figures from Nielsen SoundScan, Pollstar, the Recording Industry Association of America, Amusement Business/Billboard and other sources. Net figures reflect performers' earnings after expenses have been deducted and managers, agents and lawyers have taken their cuts. All figures should be considered estimates. LaFranco, a former editor at Forbes, wrote the 2004 "Rich List" in RS 968.'

So question is : does 'Net figures reflect performers' earnings after expenses have been deducted and managers, agents and lawyers have taken their cuts' = overall profit for the artist ?

I've seen this since I actually get the magazine. By far the most important line in the article is:

"All figures should be considered ESTIMATES"

Thats it in a nutshell. The band made $295 million dollars (in 2005) on a tour who's expenses were below $100 million dollars. Just right there, thats about a $200 million dollar profit for the band! Add in about $30 million dollars for merchandise sales and the number goes up to $230 million dollars. Since the November 23, 2004 release of the album, the band sold 12 million albums of their entire catalog to the end of 2005. With the band making roughly 5 dollars per album, that is another $60 million dollars in profit.

So, that puts the bands total profit at $290 million dollars for 2005, nearly double what is printed in the list! Yes it is an estimate, but one that is more accurate than the Rolling Stone article which has been notorious for reporting inaccurate figures and making other strange claims in the past.

At the end of the day, no one except the band and their accountants know the true profit level.

There is also the great unknown, how much U2's existing wealth generated during the year. Most of these surveys seem to assume that U2's existing wealth is in some kind of low interest deposit account.

You also have to understand that U2 were very rich 17-18 years ago, at a time when Ireland was relatively poor. Dublin (and I think U2 had a big part to play in this) has now become an economic powerhouse. Irish people buy more property in London every year than everyone else-including all the royalty from the Middle-East.

Even if U2 had invested in something as rudimentary as the Dublin property market-something right in front of their eyes-the returns would be staggering.

If you could pick any place on the planet to be rich 15 years ago, considering what was going to happen over the next 15 years, it would be Dublin or Shanghai.

ipso said:
There is also the great unknown, how much U2's existing wealth generated during the year. Most of these surveys seem to assume that U2's existing wealth is in some kind of low interest deposit account.

You also have to understand that U2 were very rich 17-18 years ago, at a time when Ireland was relatively poor. Dublin (and I think U2 had a big part to play in this) has now become an economic powerhouse. Irish people buy more property in London every year than everyone else-including all the royalty from the Middle-East.

Even if U2 had invested in something as rudimentary as the Dublin property market-something right in front of their eyes-the returns would be staggering.

If you could pick any place on the planet to be rich 15 years ago, considering what was going to happen over the next 15 years, it would be Dublin or Shanghai.

Excellant point! People who owned houses in Sandymount were not poor back in the 1980s, but now they are all millionairs it seems.

STING2 said:

Excellant point! People who owned houses in Sandymount were not poor back in the 1980s, but now they are all millionairs it seems.

That's true for most of the D4 area

The house I live in has gone up to over ten times the value, of what my parents paid for it 10 years ago.

the band may not even know their true profits all stacked up, its very likely the leave all that stuff to their accountants, and also when making earning estimates remember they live in dublin, not monaco, they have to pay taxes on their incomes, i dont know the irish tax rates but between 30%-50% income tax i would think is likely

zepher25 said:
the band may not even know their true profits all stacked up, its very likely the leave all that stuff to their accountants, and also when making earning estimates remember they live in dublin, not monaco, they have to pay taxes on their incomes, i dont know the irish tax rates but between 30%-50% income tax i would think is likely

As far as I know, musicians used to have "Tax free status" in Ireland, I think it has only been changed recently, if at all. I'm not sure if that only applies to Royalties or not though

Last edited:
No taxes

Actually, I've read numerous articles over the years, some very critical, about the fact that Ireland DOES NOT require "artists" to pay any taxes. That may have changed very recently, or at least come up again in some type of election or referendum, but for most of the last 26 years, I don't think U2 have had to pay any taxes.

It's funny that when Bono gives his speech during the Slane Castle DVD, saying "we're not going to London, or New York City...we're going to base our crew right here in Dublin" during Out of Control, this issue was the first thing that came to mind. Bono's telling the crowd about U2's early decision to stay in Ireland for their entire career, yelling "this is our tribe!", and maybe they do love Ireland that much, who knows.

But, from a financial point of view, Ireland is also the best choice given the tax exemption. U2 are my favorite band of all time, but also one of the smartest corporations as well.

Here is a quote I found on the Tax-free status in Ireland

Millionaire rock star residents such as U2, The Corrs, Enya and others can avail of a section of the Taxes Consolidation Act which allows them tax-free earnings from musical "composition". But as Irish residents, they have to pay tax on millions earned from concert tours and CD sales.

Here's the full article http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/music/story.jsp?story=648411

i read somwhere that larry adopted the Jr. on his name beacuse the irish government send his father (larry Mullen Sr.) some extremely high tax requests.

Back
Top Bottom