Stand Up Comedy would *kill* with a good guest rap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattverhalen

Babyface
The message of the song is activism, and it's crazy funky... IMHO, it'd be a "crime" if it didn't get a radio remix with a topical, high profile guest rap (would have to be someone with whom U2 have something of a relationship); I don't know who'd be best and I know it's a longshot anyway but... somehow I can already hear it in my head and it just seems tailor made. Might be the only way this record gets a hit single <sigh, sniff>.

The message of the song is activism, and it's crazy funky... IMHO, it'd be a "crime" if it didn't get a radio remix with a topical, high profile guest rap (would have to be someone with whom U2 have something of a relationship); I don't know who'd be best and I know it's a longshot anyway but... somehow I can already hear it in my head and it just seems tailor made. Might be the only way this record gets a hit single <sigh, sniff>.

Interesting...but they would be accused, yet again, of selling out.
As for candidates, what about Wyclef Jean?

Jay Z did a guest rap on "Lost" by Coldplay. They wouldn't be accused of selling out; they'd be accused of stealin'. Again.

Well they're quite friendly with Jay-Z and it is groove driven song. Probably their funkiest since Elevation. I think it sounds a little unfinished (the chord transition in the chorus is a bad fit).

A smart informative rap (the do exist) would fit nicely - especially with Bono singing falsetto over it. The rap would have to leave out all the "keepin it real for my b*tches and hos" stuff tho.

Hell - they might even get a play or 2 at R&B radio with it. And thats by far the biggest radio format in the US.

Sorry but U2 with a rapper should be stupid !!!! maybe with a rap beat or hip hop funky beat yes but without a rapper PLEASE !!!! :doh:

There is a way to do it without the gangsta-kristal-ghetto fabulous thing that I'm guessing bothers people.

Think of Numb as a sort of template. Also Madonnas Beat Goes On with Kanye West on her last CD integrates a rap really well. Its about the only track on that CD that doesnt feel forced. There's also a remix of Mysterious Ways on Melon with lots of gospel singers that could be useful to this.

The band themselves have indicated an interest in working with hip-hop people in the past. Before HTDAAB was fully recorded they stated that they were trying to explore "joy" as a theme and that gospel and R&B would be an influence. Obviously this was right at the start of the recording process given how differently the album turned out !

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom