Songs of Experience - Let The Chart Speculation Begin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Right now I am listening LANDLADY and reading this thread and wondering how come UK people like awful Sheeran music over this beauty of a song !! Just yesterday ( out of curiosity ) I have heard Shape of You ( the megahit of Sheeran ) and since then my ears remain traumatized and I am listening SOE non-stop to heal them ( my poor ears ).

Right now I am listening LANDLADY and reading this thread and wondering how come UK people like awful Sheeran music over this beauty of a song !! Just yesterday ( out of curiosity ) I have heard Shape of You ( the megahit of Sheeran ) and since then my ears remain traumatized and I am listening SOE non-stop to heal them ( my poor ears ).

I honestly think from summer of love to the blackout is the best run of u2 songs for years. Everyone in that sequence is superb

Update from HDD yesterday, still projected at No.1, with ever so slightly lower numbers from Tuesday's update I think.

HITS Daily Double : Rumor Mill - YOUR TOP 20: A MIDWEEK EXPERIENCE

I do wonder how they forecast it these days though? I assume there is some extrapolation of the first few days of reported sales or something? But how does that work with say people who have bought from U2.com for instance? In theory that number could be higher than it would have been in the past with the ticket/verified/tour stuff. And also how do they attribute an estimate of number of sales to the ticket bundle purchases, when nobody knows how many will be counted until they are actually redeemed, which could take place over several weeks? I know somebody had mentioned an average percentage of take up on previous artists ticket bundles, so maybe that is used?

Last edited:
Update from HDD yesterday, still projected at No.1, with ever so slightly lower numbers from Tuesday's update I think.

I do wonder how they forecast it these days though? I assume there is some extrapolation of the first few days of reported sales or something? But how does that work with say people who have bought from U2.com for instance? In theory that number could be higher than it would have been in the past with the ticket/verified/tour stuff. And also how do they attribute an estimate of number of sales to the ticket bundle purchases, when nobody knows how many will be counted until they are actually redeemed, which could take place over several weeks? I know somebody had mentioned an average percentage of take up on previous artists ticket bundles, so maybe that is used?

I clearly am out of touch and apologize for my ridiculous prediction that U2 would sell 350-400k albums. I thought given their fan base+the ticket bundle+holiday sales that it would easily hit that mark. I haven’t followed the charts in years and it’s not just U2 obviously.......the biggest shock is the others on that chart.

The #10 album in the 2nd week of the holiday season(used to be one of the biggest sales weeks of the year) is projected to SELL 2 thousand copies!!!!!!!

Streaming has destroyed album sales and there will never be a day where I say that streams of any amount equal the sale of an album.

I was about to say that U2 actually are projected to do about 350k but that’s including the album equivalent stuff which I guess you don’t think should count.

Actually I don’t think there’s anything wrong with counting streaming as long as it’s a paid service but if it’s a free service then I don’t understand how that counts either. Except if it’s free I guess that means paid by ads and the record company gets part of the ad revenue? Is that how it works?

I was about to say that U2 actually are projected to do about 350k but that’s including the album equivalent stuff which I guess you don’t think should count.

Actually I don’t think there’s anything wrong with counting streaming as long as it’s a paid service but if it’s a free service then I don’t understand how that counts either. Except if it’s free I guess that means paid by ads and the record company gets part of the ad revenue? Is that how it works?

Oops, I meant to reply to CosmoKramer.

Apparently SOE has already gone multiplatinum. :lol:

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/U2-SONGS-O...280420?hash=item3607188124:g:pqoAAOSwO7haKAOR

How many records do you have to sell to get platinum status these days?

In the U.S. it’s still 1 million for albums. But that now includes streaming, digital singles, and so forth.

In the U.S. it’s still 1 million for albums. But that now includes streaming, digital singles, and so forth.

For English language albums that is. There’s a different number for Spanish language.

I was only ever going to stream this. Ended up buying a physical copy of the deluxe edition (arrived today!) as it is just too damn good not to own.
I can't be the only one moved to purchase because of pure quality.

I got the download for purchasing one ticket that apparently my old Mac can't open :doh:

I then ordered the CD for purchasing the second ticket so I could add it to my itunes library and burn a disc for my husband.

I listen on spotify daily.

And I drove 50 miles round trip on December 1 to buy the deluxe vinyl.

And Landlady is a healer. Love, love, love it.

Clearly it's due to the lowering IQ of the western world

Anyway, you get my admiration. And....yes..... if UK people are hearing Sheeran & Sam Smith over U2, then their IQ is definitely sloping downwards.

They badly need to get promoting this over here in the UK, to late waiting until the BBC thing

Sorry if already posted...

YOUR TOP 20: U2, VOL. 2 WILL BE #1-2
U2’s latest, Songs of Experience, will land at #1 this week with Chris Stapleton's From A Room: Volume 2 taking the #2 spot. A Pentatonix Christmas remains Top 5 this week and other perennial holiday titles make a strong showing in the Top 20.

*U2 (Interscope) 170-180k SPS, 165-175k Sales
*Chris Stapleton (Mercury Nashville) 120-130k, 110-120k
Taylor Swift (Big Machine/BMLG) 99-104k, 60-65k
Pentatonix (RCA) 66-70k, 47-50k
Sam Smith (Capitol) 42-45k, 17-20k
Ed Sheeran (Atlantic) 38-41k, 11-13k
Michael Buble (Reprise) 36-39k, 15-18k
Post Malone (Republic) 35-38k, 2-3k
*Miguel (ByStorm/RCA) 33-36k, 13-15k
Lil Uzi Vert (Generation Now/Atlantic) 31-34k, 1-2k

HITS Daily Double : Rumor Mill - YOUR TOP 20: U2, VOL. 2 WILL BE #1-2

Sorry if already posted...

YOUR TOP 20: U2, VOL. 2 WILL BE #1-2
U2’s latest, Songs of Experience, will land at #1 this week with Chris Stapleton's From A Room: Volume 2 taking the #2 spot. A Pentatonix Christmas remains Top 5 this week and other perennial holiday titles make a strong showing in the Top 20.

*U2 (Interscope) 170-180k SPS, 165-175k Sales
*Chris Stapleton (Mercury Nashville) 120-130k, 110-120k
Taylor Swift (Big Machine/BMLG) 99-104k, 60-65k
Pentatonix (RCA) 66-70k, 47-50k
Sam Smith (Capitol) 42-45k, 17-20k
Ed Sheeran (Atlantic) 38-41k, 11-13k
Michael Buble (Reprise) 36-39k, 15-18k
Post Malone (Republic) 35-38k, 2-3k
*Miguel (ByStorm/RCA) 33-36k, 13-15k
Lil Uzi Vert (Generation Now/Atlantic) 31-34k, 1-2k

HITS Daily Double : Rumor Mill - YOUR TOP 20: U2, VOL. 2 WILL BE #1-2

Yeah, U2s sales are very very low but when put in the context of the industry as a whole when it comes to album sales....they are actually solid. This is a holiday week, in years past (10-15 years) the top 20 would all sell over 100k in a week like this (Christmas week the top 40 would all sell over 100k) and yet the #5 album is going to sell 20k and the number 10 2k!!!

Even when you add in the steaming numbers(which are a joke because they do not relate to album sales at all and should just be their own chart) the 30k for the number 10 album is so low.

I say that because when I used to follow the charts very closely in 2001-2009, it was just so different. I knew the industry changed but WOW did it really.

I expect U2 to drop like a rock next week....maybe outside the top 20.

Interested to know how many sales in the UK were from buying the album from u2.com with the promise of a pre sale code for tickets for the European tour (god knows when that will be emailed through !) as I did. I know others who have as well. Thought that would really push sales right up, but does not look like it so far. Whatever downer a lot of the UK have on the band & Bono in particular, they have always had a strong loyal fan base. Just cannot believe these potential sales figures even with streaming etc.

https://twitter.com/u2songs/status/939184667089043456

U2 doesn't reach #1 in UK. "Songs of Experience" enters UK chart at #5, just one position above where "Songs of Innocence" entered in 2014. 1. Sam Smith "The Thrill of It All" 2. Ed Sheeran "Divide" 3. M. Ball / A. Boe "Together Again" 4. Pink "Beautiful Trauma" 5. U2 "SOE"

Number 5,didn't think it would be that low if I'm honest. Gonna drop like a stone next week, already dropped to 14 on iTunes. Be out the top 10 easily

Interested to know how many sales in the UK were from buying the album from u2.com with the promise of a pre sale code for tickets for the European tour (god knows when that will be emailed through !) as I did. I know others who have as well. Thought that would really push sales right up, but does not look like it so far. Whatever downer a lot of the UK have on the band & Bono in particular, they have always had a strong loyal fan base. Just cannot believe these potential sales figures even with streaming etc.

Good question that actually, I got my copy from u2.com as well which I don't normally do, surely they would have counted towards sales?

U2 doesn't reach #1 in UK. "Songs of Experience" enters UK chart at #5, just one position above where "Songs of Innocence" entered in 2014. 1. Sam Smith "The Thrill of It All" 2. Ed Sheeran "Divide" 3. M. Ball / A. Boe "Together Again" 4. Pink "Beautiful Trauma" 5. U2 "SOE"

M. Ball / A. Boe - who the fk!? This must be an all time low for our band. I am saddend and amazed.

I’ll argue that the industry has changed and lower than expected sales may not be as bad as we think, especially if said sales are enough to get you the #1 album in a country. However, low sales paired with a #5 entry for a new album is just.....disappointing, very disappointing.

Back
Top Bottom