Songs of Experience - Let The Chart Speculation Begin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Number 7 now on uk iTunes. Sam smith now above them probably because of his X factor show

Not sure mate I'll take just getting to number 1 as sales won't be high here

Again maybe if they bothered their arses and actually came over to do a little bit of promotion we would have seen higher numbers, the BBC thing is great on the lead up to xmas but would have been nice to have them doing something first week of release

Someone over in the album forum saying it's dropped to number 42 in iTunes chart? Is that true?

Number 8 on the uk iTunes chart

4 compilation album

Sam smith

Pink

And Michael bubles xmas record are all above it

Just hope they can hold onto that number 1 position in the uk. 7000 copies in it doesn't seem a lot

190k in sales in the US would be enough to land them in the top 50 best selling albums of the year.

I would venture we will see a huge 2nd week drop around 80% or so but if the album can sell just even another 100k throughout the rest of the holiday season they could end out the year with the top 30 or possibly 25.

Man industry sales are awful now and U2 sales are even worse. I remember with ATYCLB And even Bomb where every album in the top 20 sold over 100k (I want to say there were weeks like Thanksgiving and Xmas that every album in the top 40 sold over 100k).

Surely they have sold around 350k tickets so are the redemptions included in these projections ?

Surely they have sold around 350k tickets so are the redemptions included in these projections ?

ticket buyers have to select to get the record they don't just automatically get given the record because theve brought a ticket

Do you think they will hold on?

UK midweeks - Monday

1 U2 - Songs Of Experience [28.5k] *
2 Sam Smith - The Thrill Of It All [21.5k]
3 Ed Sheeran - ÷ [20.7k]

Can't see it myself. 2 and 3 have been out a while with no pre orders like u2 have had and theve still sold nearly as much as u2. I'd actually go for number 3 at those sales

UK midweeks - Monday

1 U2 - Songs Of Experience [28.5k] *
2 Sam Smith - The Thrill Of It All [21.5k]
3 Ed Sheeran - ÷ [20.7k]

Can't see it myself. 2 and 3 have been out a while with no pre orders like u2 have had and theve still sold nearly as much as u2. I'd actually go for number 3 at those sales

What's the reason behind the spikes in ed Sheeran though? You seemed confident they would get top spot a few days back

What's the reason behind the spikes in ed Sheeran though? You seemed confident they would get top spot a few days back

Sam smith is probably down to the X factor performance the weekend. Ed sheeran is huge at the minute.

I honestly thought u2 would breeze number 1. I know there really isn't much demand for new music here in the uk but there isn't any other big releases coming out.

Fingers crossed they get between 50-60 k in sales cause I think they will need it.

Sam smith is probably down to the X factor performance the weekend. Ed sheeran is huge at the minute.

I honestly thought u2 would breeze number 1. I know there really isn't much demand for new music here in the uk but there isn't any other big releases coming out.

Fingers crossed they get between 50-60 k in sales cause I think they will need it.

It's interesting reading the press release from the official chart company they make it sound like 7000 copies is actually a pretty big lead, I am yet to see any ad for the album on TV and I honestly think they should have been over here to do one of the talk shows

It's interesting reading the press release from the official chart company they make it sound like 7000 copies is actually a pretty big lead, I am yet to see any ad for the album on TV and I honestly think they should have been over here to do one of the talk shows

Just had an ad tonight during celebrity get me outta here, blacklist and get out clips

All in all album sales are way down from even the early 2000s and they were way down from the 90s....totally different era....but having said that U2 are still defying the odds at their age for musicians at there age.

Music is a young man/womans game except when it comes to touring. Overall I am quite impressed by how well they are doing.

All in all album sales are way down from even the early 2000s and they were way down from the 90s....totally different era....but having said that U2 are still defying the odds at their age for musicians at there age.

Music is a young man/womans game except when it comes to touring. Overall I am quite impressed by how well they are doing.

Not only sales in the US but World Wide too. In fact, while we don't know U2s projected World Wide sales, we do know in the US they are projected to have ~190k sales (not SPS) and in the UK at minimum ~30k (likely a lot higher than that). So with just those 2 countries, thats an estimated 220k. So how would that stack up against similar bands/other artists recent albums?

Coldplay: 827k

Red Hot Chili Peppers: 341k

Foo Fighters: 277k

Arcade Fire: 241k

Linkin Park: 212k

Bon Jovi: 211k

Killers: 208k

Green Day: 206k

Maroon 5: 183k

Kings of Leon: 165k

Beck: 81k

Here are a couple of the bigger ones:

Adele- 5.706 million (thats real....no really, her 2nd week was 2.336 million and her 3rd week was 1.793 million)

Taylor Swift- 1.619 million

I think they will pull in between 500k-750k.

Last edited:
Down to 9 on uk iTunes. Be surprised now if they get to number 1. Sam smith and ed sheeran both above u2

Down to 9 on uk iTunes. Be surprised now if they get to number 1. Sam smith and ed sheeran both above u2

Both the Sam Smith and Ed Sheeran ‘s standard editions are under the u2’s standard edition in the Uk itunes

iTunes isn't the be all and end all of album sales though, no doubt they only have to sell a few to move places etc

Back
Top Bottom