Rise Above 1 featuring Bono & Edge debuts on BB HOT 100

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beLIEve

Refugee
Guess you have to appear on American Idol to be relevant in the U.S. these days. Rise Above 1 debuts at #74 on Billboard's HOT 100 Singles chart. It also debuted at #3 on the HOT 50 DIGITAL SONGS - ROCK chart.

It's not on any Billboard Airplay Charts, but it jumps into today's MEDIABASE Top 40 for TRIPLE A, moving from 36 to 21 in the last few days.

Has anyone heard the song on the radio, and is the release anything more/longer than what they sang with Carney on AI?

I was curious about this very thing. Knew I'd find it here. :) A decent amount of exposure for this song, whether it's radio, TV, web, whatever...would be a tremendous lift for the musical.

heard it on the radio a couple of days ago on a pretty hipster radio station. It was a nice surprise.

Off to a good start

It has moved up to 19 on Adult Rock as of today, and debuted on the "heatseekers" chart for Hot AC/Adult Top 40/Mainstream combined chart on mediabase today as well. By debuting on BB's Hot 100 at 74 last week, the song has already outperformed any single from NLOTH on that chart.

GOYB hit 98 and Magnificent hit 99 during their one-week stays on the BB Hot 100. Magnificent reached #1 for Adult Rock (AAA) airplay and got into the 20's on the Hot AC chart, IIRC. Boots made the top 10 on the Alternative airplay chart. Neither song ever seemed to take off in the U.S., though.

It will be interesting to see if Rise Above 1 continues to go up on the BB Hot 100. Triple A airplay won't keep it there, but if the song keeps getting added on the other formats and downloads continue, it might go a bit higher.

Ultimately, I think the song got a bump simply due to the AI appearance, and that it will be gone from the charts in just a few weeks. I thought the opposite for Magnificent, though, so who knows.

Rise Above 1 moves from 15 to 13 today on Adult Rock and remains at #8 on the Hot AC "Taking off" chart, putting it at 58 on that chart. I thought the spiderman soundtrack would debut on the BB Hot 200 as it was in the Top 20 or 30 on Amazon and i tunes last week...I may be "off" a week w/respect to BB's method and perhaps it will debut next week. Otherwise, while internet sales are strong, it's not enough to make it onto the 200 chart.

I don't know if there is a physical single or album, or if this is all digital release only.

Rise Above 1 breaks into the Hot AC Top 50, moving from 54 to 47. 2nd biggest format behind Pop/Top 40, where it's also being played but not charting. The song also moves up to 11 on Adult Rock. Finally heard it on Sirius. Wish Bono and Edge would have just stuck to U2 and released an album this year as planned...this song alone had a TON of potential, and if it's "HITS" they want, Rise Above could have been molded into a U2 classic.

Songs of Ascent, with the original Mercy and a U2 version of Rise Above...along with the rest of whatever they had ready, would have been a great album for the fans...guess they are too worried about breaking all the touring records and too self-conscious to release an album after NLOTH "only" sells 5.5 million copies. Just like Pop, critics nearly universally praised the album before and as it came out, but when no hit emerged or sales were less than the highest of standards, the album is now mentioned as the "lukewarm" or "poor selling" NLOTH...

Ridiculous.

Songs of Ascent, with the original Mercy and a U2 version of Rise Above...along with the rest of whatever they had ready, would have been a great album for the fans...guess they are too worried about breaking all the touring records and too self-conscious to release an album after NLOTH "only" sells 5.5 million copies.
Ridiculous.

This tour is for NLOTH and the only reason its still going at this point is because of Bono's back injury last May which delayed the 2nd US leg to now. Obviously the current tour is more imporant than the next album, I mean, one thing at a time. Can't imagine them quiting the War tour or ZOO TV tour simply to record the next album.

Playing live is at least half of the reason that U2 are a band if not more. Also, from a business perspective, the money brought in from touring is now about 10 times that of what new recorded material brings in. The bands concert popularity has sky rocketed, while the majority of the general public and yes even fans, no longer buy music anymore because its so easy to obtain it for free.

Also, NLOTH sold 4 million copies worldwide, not 5.5 million. Still, the sell of nearly 4 million copies in 2009 was enough to place that album at #7 worldwide. In the United States it placed at #22 for the year which was good given that it had sales of 1,067,000 copies in the United States.

Anyways, the new album will be out in November 2012. Any delay in recording that is the fault of the Spider Man Thing, not the tour. Arena tour of Europe and North America to follow in 2013.

Also, NLOTH sold 4 million copies worldwide, not 5.5 million. Still, the sell of nearly 4 million copies in 2009 was enough to place that album at #7 worldwide. In the United States it placed at #22 for the year which was good given that it had sales of 1,067,000 copies in the United States.

Anyways, the new album will be out in November 2012. Any delay in recording that is the fault of the Spider Man Thing, not the tour. Arena tour of Europe and North America to follow in 2013.

I could be wrong but I also thought the shipping number was 5.0/5.5 million for NLOTH. I don´t have a source but I remember this was mentioned here sometime during late 2010.

I could be wrong but I also thought the shipping number was 5.0/5.5 million for NLOTH. I don´t have a source but I remember this was mentioned here sometime during late 2010.

Yes, it shipped 5+M copies initially.

Per MediaTraffic, which tracks many, but not all countries, it sold about 4M worldwide in 2009.

Given the success of the tour and the fact that when U2 a specific region, their latest album always spikes on that country's chart, it wouldn't surprise me if NLOTH has sold a legitimate 5M copies worldwide.

Rise Above 1 rises 1 spot to #9 on Triple A (Adult Rock) this week. Spins decreased slightly so it has probably peaked on this chart.

It stays at #35 on the Hot AC format this week with an increase in spins and stations. Just been a steady but slow rise for the song on this chart.

It has moved up to 19 on Adult Rock as of today, and debuted on the "heatseekers" chart for Hot AC/Adult Top 40/Mainstream combined chart on mediabase today as well. By debuting on BB's Hot 100 at 74 last week, the song has already outperformed any single from NLOTH on that chart.

GOYB hit 98 and Magnificent hit 99 during their one-week stays on the BB Hot 100. Magnificent reached #1 for Adult Rock (AAA) airplay and got into the 20's on the Hot AC chart, IIRC. Boots made the top 10 on the Alternative airplay chart. Neither song ever seemed to take off in the U.S., though.

Old thread, but I wanted to correct a few things.

GOYB did crack the Top 40 on the Hot 100, at #37. So it will "go down in history" as yet another Top 40 hit for U2. "Magnificent" reached #79. "Rise Above" does beat "Magnificent" but not GOYB.

What's interesting to note is that in terms of chart positions only, these results are similar to the singles for HTDAAB. "Vertigo" reached #31 on the Hot 100 and "Sometimes..." made it to #97.

It's notable that Vertigo shot way up the charts once Billboard started counting downloads in its chart (or at least weighing them more than it used to). I think Vertigo even hit its "peak" once that started happening despite the fact that it was clearly soaking in more airplay/downloads a month prior. Basically, we estimate that Vertigo would have been a Top 5 hit had Billboard changed their rules a little sooner. In other words, Vertigo's #31 position is nothing like that of Get On Your Boots's peak.

Back
Top Bottom