RIAA certification for Vertigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mirrorball06

The Fly
According to Billboard.com 2 years ago Vertigo is certifited 2x platinum for digital downloads. It has the following dates

U2 VERTIGO 01/06/05 INTERSCOPE G SINGLE GROUP Dig

U2 VERTIGO 02/02/05 INTERSCOPE P SINGLE GROUP Dig

U2 VERTIGO 06/27/05 INTERSCOPE M(2) SINGLE GROUP Dig

But these last 2 certification dates are not listed on the riaa website.

What's the story?

Bottom line: The online world can't be trusted.

Even Billboard's site has mistakes about songs (some are excluded, even though they are listed elsewhere). While computers are powerful, they are still operated by mistake-prone humans.

I'm dragging up this old thread for a few reasons.

1) I must have been in a pissy mood that day - that's a harsh comment I wrote back then. :lol:

2) Speaking of U2 certifications, I saw "Vertigo" was certified as Gold. Then I saw an actual Gold RIAA award given to Adam Clayton for the sale of 500,000 copies of "Vertigo". So this is legit. But initially, downloads had it "easy" - meaning 100,000 copies for Gold and 200,000 copies for Platinum. This changed in 2006. This meant "Vertigo" was originally "MultiPlatinum" - but once the RIAA changed the rules, this title was stripped. Still for "Vertigo" to have a legit 500,000 copies sold makes it one of U2's best selling singles (along with "Beautiful Day" and "Desire").

I'm dragging up this old thread for a few reasons.

1) I must have been in a pissy mood that day - that's a harsh comment I wrote back then. :lol:

2) Speaking of U2 certifications, I saw "Vertigo" was certified as Gold. Then I saw an actual Gold RIAA award given to Adam Clayton for the sale of 500,000 copies of "Vertigo". So this is legit. But initially, downloads had it "easy" - meaning 100,000 copies for Gold and 200,000 copies for Platinum. This changed in 2006. This meant "Vertigo" was originally "MultiPlatinum" - but once the RIAA changed the rules, this title was stripped. Still for "Vertigo" to have a legit 500,000 copies sold makes it one of U2's best selling singles (along with "Beautiful Day" and "Desire").

Don't forget Discotheque which was certified GOLD in 1997 for 500,000 sales in the United States.

Back
Top Bottom