Radio 1 playlist.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its also on Radio 2's B-list, so hopefully with major airplay on the UK's radio stations the album might have a climb back up the charts.

Magnificent hasn't even appeared on the itunes top 300 in the UK either, it's official release is in only a couple of weeks. This could be their worst charting single in quite a while...

will it even make top40 while its not on the iTunes top300?

if this isnt a hit, i cant see radio paying much attention to any further singles off this album.

will it even make top40 while its not on the iTunes top300?

if this isnt a hit, i cant see radio paying much attention to any further singles off this album.

At absolute best it could hit the top 20 if it makes the lower end of the itunes top 100 and sells really really well on physical which is unlikely. Unless it takes off on itunes it will most likely be on the top 40 for a week and then disappear...

20,000 sales to hit top 10
10,000 sales to hit top 25
6,500 sales to hit top 40
2,000 sales to hit top 100

6,500 would be amazing sales on physical in 2009.

This album is flopping in the charts :lol:

Sales at 2 mill + is the only positive

This album is flopping in the charts :lol:

Sales at 2 mill + is the only positive

I still wouldnt go as far to say it "flopped" on the charts, it was still a #1 album whatever way people look at it.

As for the promotion, well since the radio interviews and the rooftop mini-gig there has been NOTHING, i seen litreally ONE tv add and that was the day of release.

Magnificent hasn't even appeared on the itunes top 300 in the UK either, it's official release is in only a couple of weeks. This could be their worst charting single in quite a while...

Unless i am mistaken tha radio edit of the song hasn't been available to download at i-tunes, the video hasn't been released yet and the song has been added to radio's playlists the last two weeks. Nonetheless you predict its failure at the charts. I also find it difficult to believe that Magnificent could reach top 20, but that's not the main point. I do believe that this song has the potential to be a radio hit with much more staying power than GOYB and that's what matters the most for NLOTH in the UK right now.

i think somebody said after HTDAAB release (it may have been Dr Who) that you shouldnt need to advertise albums. they should promote themselves though radio and music tv channels.

I said this? :lol:

In theory, though, this is true. Radio and music tv stations should do the work.

But the world keeps changing. MTV, for example, means nothing now. Artists still make videos, but really, it's more for YouTube and their own website than it is for MTV.

Radio stations - at least the ones that play Top 40 - have a pre-determined setlist. It's tough for artists to break through there.

Hence, U2 have had to resort to other ways to get their music heard (and this isn't just true for U2). This is why we see more and more artists, both new and old, use commercials, TV appearances (SNL, David Letterman, etc.), movies, whatever, to get their music out there.

Because of illegal downloads, it's tough to say if all of this effort has an effect. But it's clear that even with legal downloads, the music world is changing. Flo Rida, for example, sold over 600K copies of a song, but is struggling with the album. More and more, it looks like the era of the song is back, while album sales will drop. I wouldn't be surprised to see artists release single songs in the future, and eventually compile them all into an album at some much later time. That is, they create an album full of songs, but don't release the album - just a digital release of a new song every 3-4 months for a while. Then, when all the "hits" are done, they release the digital album, with a few extra songs thrown in, compiling these hits.

Back
Top Bottom