R U2 bigger than ever in UK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andyuk

Refugee
First time ever that 4 singles of 1 album have gone top 4! better than the singles of Joshua Tree Actung Baby and even All that you Can't! do you think this mean U2 are bigger than ever here in UK?

ABOY sold less than 20,000 copies to reach no.4, the singles chart is not an indication to the real size and success of real musicians anymore, its just a tool for X-factor, fame academy winners, and cheap skate record companies to make pre- teen kiddies part with their "hard earned" pocket money, I find it quite disturbing that U2 seem to be having so much success in the singles chart in recent years, at the expense of their albums staying on chart for over 100 weeks, as did War, UABRS, U.Fire, & Joshua Tree

i think U2 are the only Rock band to have 4 singles off 1 album go into the the top 4! even Oasis can't manage this in the UK

jimmmm said:
ABOY sold less than 20,000 copies to reach no.4, the singles chart is not an indication to the real size and success of real musicians anymore, its just a tool for X-factor, fame academy winners, and cheap skate record companies to make pre- teen kiddies part with their "hard earned" pocket money, I find it quite disturbing that U2 seem to be having so much success in the singles chart in recent years, at the expense of their albums staying on chart for over 100 weeks, as did War, UABRS, U.Fire, & Joshua Tree

I'm not really sure we can compare eras like that. There was no SoundScan for those 80's albums. If there was, all of them might have had far faster exits from the U.K. charts as well.

That said, HTDAAB really came across like a blockbuster movie. I've stated this before, but it is worth repeating, IMO. These days, big blockbuster films make the bulk of their money in the first few weeks. For example, "Revenge of the Sith" made $300M in the U.S. in just 3 weeks! Yet it took another 15 or so weeks to make the remaining $80M. Analogously, HTDAAB made the bulk of its sales in 2 months. I don't have precise numbers, but I believe by the end of January, the album had already sold 2.3M copies in the U.S. (just 2 months after its release). It's taken another 9 months to reach 2.9M.

This has tons to do with marketing and high anticipation. ATYCLB left fans wanting more. That builds anticipation. The "Vertigo" iPod/iTunes commercial was the best marketing ever. The two combined led to blockbuster sales.

However, an album, unlike a movie, can get a second or third wind based on subsequent singles. And this is where U2's marketing team really dropped the ball in the U.S. FINALLY U2 are coming out with another iTunes/iPod commercial - but I wonder if it's a bit too late. If anything, this commercial may help the DVD release, but do little to nothing for the album. And that's really a shame as I felt HTDAAB really deserved better. It should have at least 3.2M in sales by now. I'm really disappointed.

andyuk said:
i think U2 are the only Rock band to have 4 singles off 1 album go into the the top 4! even Oasis can't manage this in the UK

Oasis haven't had a single outside the top 5 since 1994.

i am not sure about that last OASIS comment! what about those 3 crap albums they put out afer morning glory? don't tell me all those songs went top 5!

andyuk said:
i am not sure about that last OASIS comment! what about those 3 crap albums they put out afer morning glory? don't tell me all those songs went top 5!

Hard to believe, but true

Actually, EVERY Oasis single since "Whatever" went Top 5 in UK:

31-12-94 -- #3 -- 50 wks -- Whatever
06-05-95 -- #1 -- 27 wks -- Some Might Say
26-08-95 -- #2 -- 18 wks -- Roll With It
11-11-95 -- #2 -- 34 wks -- Wonderwall
02-03-96 -- #1 -- 24 wks -- Don't Look Back In Anger
19-07-97 -- #1 -- 18 wks -- D'You Know What I Mean?
04-10-97 -- #2 -- 18 wks -- Stand By Me
24-01-98 -- #1 -- 9 wks -- All Around The World
19-02-00 -- #1 -- 12 wks -- Go Let It Out
29-04-00 -- #4 -- 8 wks -- Who Feels Love?
15-07-00 -- #4 -- 6 wks -- Sunday Morning Call
27-04-02 -- #1 -- 11 wks -- The Hindu Times
29-06-02 -- #2 -- 10 wks -- Stop Crying Your Heart Out
05-10-02 -- #2 -- 8 wks -- Little By Little
15-02-03 -- #3 -- 10 wks -- Songbird
28-05-05 -- #1 -- 13 wks -- Lyla
03-09-05 -- #1 -- 8 wks -- The Importance Of Being Idle

doctorwho said:
"Champagne Supernova" was never a single in the U.K.?

Surprisingly not..Oasis are one of the safest bets for UK single success...even the tunes off Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants all went top 5.

I think U2 are pretty big in the UK, but not huge. Getting to number one isn't a realistic measure of how successful a band is anymore - not many people buy singles now......

It's more likely people illegally download their songs......

Though, when they first released HTDAAB, it went straight to no1 on the album chart for some time - I think album sales are a better way to measure success.

Total U2 Nut said:
I think U2 are pretty big in the UK, but not huge. Getting to number one isn't a realistic measure of how successful a band is anymore - not many people buy singles now......

It's more likely people illegally download their songs......

Though, when they first released HTDAAB, it went straight to no1 on the album chart for some time - I think album sales are a better way to measure success.

Indeed album sales are a far larger sign of success and HTDAAB is the fastest selling album U2 has ever had in the UK although now it has dropped off the charts. This album made it to the 1.2 million mark 3 months earlier than the Joshua Tree did.

Plus, take a look at the results of the tour in the UK:

31, 32. Manchester, England : June 14-15, 2005 : City Of Manchester Stadium : GROSS $11,119,740 : ATTENDANCE 107,671 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

33, 34. London, England : June 18-19, 2005 : Twickenham Stadium : GROSS $13,677,410 : ATTENDANCE 110,796 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

35. Glasgow, Scotland : June 21, 2005 : Hampden Park : GROSS $5,819,053 : ATTENDANCE 53,395 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

39. Cardiff, Wales : June 29, 2005 : Millennium Stadium : GROSS $6,406,073 : ATTENDANCE 63,677 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

The fact is, this is definitely the most popular U2 have ever been in the United Kingdom. These shows soldout quickly at high prices leaving thousands of people without tickets. The tour in Europe is the highest grossing tour ever in European History! Not only is this the most popular U2 have ever been in the UK, it is likely the most popular U2 have ever been in Europe. This is based on album sales and concert drawing strength.

doctorwho said:

I'm not really sure we can compare eras like that. There was no SoundScan for those 80's albums. If there was, all of them might have had far faster exits from the U.K. charts as well.

That said, HTDAAB really came across like a blockbuster movie. I've stated this before, but it is worth repeating, IMO. These days, big blockbuster films make the bulk of their money in the first few weeks. For example, "Revenge of the Sith" made $300M in the U.S. in just 3 weeks! Yet it took another 15 or so weeks to make the remaining $80M. Analogously, HTDAAB made the bulk of its sales in 2 months. I don't have precise numbers, but I believe by the end of January, the album had already sold 2.3M copies in the U.S. (just 2 months after its release). It's taken another 9 months to reach 2.9M.

This has tons to do with marketing and high anticipation. ATYCLB left fans wanting more. That builds anticipation. The "Vertigo" iPod/iTunes commercial was the best marketing ever. The two combined led to blockbuster sales.

However, an album, unlike a movie, can get a second or third wind based on subsequent singles. And this is where U2's marketing team really dropped the ball in the U.S. FINALLY U2 are coming out with another iTunes/iPod commercial - but I wonder if it's a bit too late. If anything, this commercial may help the DVD release, but do little to nothing for the album. And that's really a shame as I felt HTDAAB really deserved better. It should have at least 3.2M in sales by now. I'm really disappointed.

The United Kingdom has had a soundscan system in place since the 1970s. WAR entered the chart at #1 in the UK then spent the rest of its time falling down the chart. Same with October which entered the UK chart at #11. Many older U2 albums have re-entered the chart in the UK for extended runs.

Incredible, considering about half of those songs are crap.

Soldatti said:
Actually, EVERY Oasis single since "Whatever" went Top 5 in UK:

31-12-94 -- #3 -- 50 wks -- Whatever
06-05-95 -- #1 -- 27 wks -- Some Might Say
26-08-95 -- #2 -- 18 wks -- Roll With It
11-11-95 -- #2 -- 34 wks -- Wonderwall
02-03-96 -- #1 -- 24 wks -- Don't Look Back In Anger
19-07-97 -- #1 -- 18 wks -- D'You Know What I Mean?
04-10-97 -- #2 -- 18 wks -- Stand By Me
24-01-98 -- #1 -- 9 wks -- All Around The World
19-02-00 -- #1 -- 12 wks -- Go Let It Out
29-04-00 -- #4 -- 8 wks -- Who Feels Love?
15-07-00 -- #4 -- 6 wks -- Sunday Morning Call
27-04-02 -- #1 -- 11 wks -- The Hindu Times
29-06-02 -- #2 -- 10 wks -- Stop Crying Your Heart Out
05-10-02 -- #2 -- 8 wks -- Little By Little
15-02-03 -- #3 -- 10 wks -- Songbird
28-05-05 -- #1 -- 13 wks -- Lyla
03-09-05 -- #1 -- 8 wks -- The Importance Of Being Idle

sweetest thing - 3
beautiful day - 1
stuck in a moment - 2
elevation - 3
walk on - 5
electrical storm - 5
vertigo - 1
sometimes you can't - 1
city of blinding lights - 2
all because of you - 4

not bad record for there last 10 singles!

STING2 said:

The United Kingdom has had a soundscan system in place since the 1970s. WAR entered the chart at #1 in the UK then spent the rest of its time falling down the chart. Same with October which entered the UK chart at #11. Many older U2 albums have re-entered the chart in the UK for extended runs.

I have seen no real proof of this. The technology didn't exist back in the 70's and 80's to have the same SoundScan system that exists today in place. Therefore, what was this system? How was it monitored? What was checked? In theory, the system Billboard used for many years was also a "SoundScan" system - by reporting sales from music retailers. But as we all know, it wasn't the same as what exists now.

Besides, even if the U.K. "SoundScan" system 20 years ago was as good as the one they have now, comparing eras is still very difficult. There were no iTunes, mp3's, file-sharing, etc. While U.K. CD singles sales may be down, the U.K. is really the only country left that still has significant CD single sales! A CD single can still sell 50-200,000 copies! Precious few CD singles were doing sales that well in the U.S even 10 years ago (which is why U2 don't release CD singles in the U.S. any more).

I always have problems comparing eras of music - there are just too many changes and other factors to consider. The jukeboxes of the 50's and 60's played a huge role in how songs charted then, but have no meaning today. Radio airplay alone can generate a big hit. iTunes sales can generate a top 10 hit! Even the U.K. has seen a tremendous boost in iTunes sales - which will soon alter how songs chart.

doctorwho said:

I have seen no real proof of this. The technology didn't exist back in the 70's and 80's to have the same SoundScan system that exists today in place. Therefore, what was this system? How was it monitored? What was checked? In theory, the system Billboard used for many years was also a "SoundScan" system - by reporting sales from music retailers. But as we all know, it wasn't the same as what exists now.

Besides, even if the U.K. "SoundScan" system 20 years ago was as good as the one they have now, comparing eras is still very difficult. There were no iTunes, mp3's, file-sharing, etc. While U.K. CD singles sales may be down, the U.K. is really the only country left that still has significant CD single sales! A CD single can still sell 50-200,000 copies! Precious few CD singles were doing sales that well in the U.S even 10 years ago (which is why U2 don't release CD singles in the U.S. any more).

I always have problems comparing eras of music - there are just too many changes and other factors to consider. The jukeboxes of the 50's and 60's played a huge role in how songs charted then, but have no meaning today. Radio airplay alone can generate a big hit. iTunes sales can generate a top 10 hit! Even the U.K. has seen a tremendous boost in iTunes sales - which will soon alter how songs chart.

The technology did exist back then, but Billboard did not decide to use the system until 1991. The cycle of albums entering the chart at #1 that we saw when Soundscan was introduced for the Billboard chart in 1991 had been going on for many years already in the United Kingdom. Precise album sale counts for the opening week of the Joshua Tree in the United Kingdom have been published. Such information would not be possible without a Soundscan type system.

STING2 said:

The fact is, this is definitely the most popular U2 have ever been in the United Kingdom. These shows soldout quickly at high prices leaving thousands of people without tickets. The tour in Europe is the highest grossing tour ever in European History! Not only is this the most popular U2 have ever been in the UK, it is likely the most popular U2 have ever been in Europe. This is based on album sales and concert drawing strength.

Absolutely

Back
Top Bottom