Question:worldwide sales per album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only the record company know this - and please see other post which quotes U2com saying overall sales of 130m incl Bomb - which should now be around 4.5m.

However, elsewhere within this forum Sting has posted his estimates - and others have commented on, which is all we have to go on apart from the odd snippet elsewhere e.g. BBC Radio 1 stating (record company info) of sales of ATYCLB at 14m (to the nearest million)

Mike

Worldwide sales "estimated" U2 albums:

Boy 3 million
October 3 million
WAR 8 million
UABRS 8 million
Unforgettable Fire 8 million
Wide Awake In America 3 millon
Joshua Tree 27 million
Rattle And Hum 12 million
Achtung Baby 17 million
ZOOROPA 7 million
POP 6 million
Best Of 1980-1990 16 million
ATYCLB 12 million
Best Of 1990-2000 5 million
HTDAAB 6 million

TOTAL: 141 million

While some members of the band claim the POP album sold 7 to 8 million, the facts from IFPI, RIAA and Soundscan tell us something different. POP sold over 2 million copies in Europe, 1.5 million in the United States, 380,000 in Canada, 70,000 in Australia, 15,000 in New Zealand, and nearly 200,000 in Japan. Those numbers combined are about 4.2 million. The European figure could be closer to 3 million although it has not hit that mark yet. But there you have over 80% of the world market. Remaining area's would increase the total to no more than 6 million.

HTDAAB has shipped over 6 million copies worldwide!

Last edited:
STING2 said:
While some members of the band claim the POP album sold 7 to 8 million, the facts from IFPI, RIAA and Soundscan tell us something different. POP sold over 2 million copies in Europe, 1.5 million in the United States, 380,000 in Canada, 70,000 in Australia, 15,000 in New Zealand, and nearly 200,000 in Japan. Those numbers combined are about 4.2 million. The European figure could be closer to 3 million although it has not hit that mark yet. But there you have over 80% of the world market. Remaining area's would increase the total to no more than 6 million.

HTDAAB has shipped over 6 million copies worldwide!

STING, add 100,000 copies from Spain :) POP was certified Platinum in Spain back in 1997.

More numbers:

Best Of 80-90 4x Platinum (400,000)
ATYCLB 4x Platinum (400,000)
HTDAAB 1x Platinum (100,000)

Vox

6 million is just horrible the world must be ending...any other band that sold 6 million albums with any of their CDs would be doing well.

Vox02 said:

STING, add 100,000 copies from Spain :) POP was certified Platinum in Spain back in 1997.

More numbers:

Best Of 80-90 4x Platinum (400,000)
ATYCLB 4x Platinum (400,000)
HTDAAB 1x Platinum (100,000)

Vox

All sales in Spain are considered under the IFPI certification for European sales of 2 million copies of POP.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Jeez...I didn't know Pop did THAT horribly

POP was one of the 20 largest selling albums worldwide in 1997! The album sold nearly 6 million copies in 1997, but has not sold very well since then. In worldwide terms, POP was a success.

STING2 said:

POP was one of the 20 largest selling albums worldwide in 1997! The album sold nearly 6 million copies in 1997, but has not sold very well since then. In worldwide terms, POP was a success.

In U2 terms, it was shit...

Its weird, cause its one of their best albums (a top 3 for me)

Cheers

phommel said:

that's horrible too!

When did selling 5 million copies of a Best of become horrible? Realize that this is a best of that covers 3 and a half albums. Two of these albums were U2's least popular(POP and ZOOROPA) with only Achtung and ATYCLB being huge. Then only two songs from ATYCLB are on it.

To sum up, the Best of 1990-2000 is a very hard sell because most casual fans have no interest at all in either ZOOROPA or POP. Some will likely skip it and pick up Achtung and ATYCLB instead.

Still, selling 5 million copies of an album is not insignificant. Most radiohead albums sell less than 5 million, and in fact only Ok Computer has sold more than 5 million.

Yes, I guess you're right STING2...

so the conclusion is that a masterpiece of an album doesn't correlate with number of copies sold....

You gave the best example with Radiohead's OK Computer. That's a masterpiece!!!! I think 10 times better than POP, but it sold the same....

Last edited:
I think the sales figures posted by Sting 2 looked pretty spot-on - I know how much research has gone into in getting these numbers.

The 3 question marks from my perspective are JT at 27 million, ATYCLB at 12 million and WWIA at 3 million.

With JT, my question is when was the time last time the IFPI certified this album in Europe. If as expected it is 10m plus, then 27m in sales should be close. A recertification in the US from 10m to 11 or 12m would add weight to the 27m sales number

ATYCLB - numbers for this album range from 10.5m to 13m from various media reports, Paul McGuiness (he quoted 13m) etc... If we know that the album has 4m in Europe (and probably closer to 5m now from the last recert date) and 4.2m in the US, that is 8.2m copies. If we add another 500k to the Europe number, this takes it to 8.7m. However, I still think 12m is a bid stretch for ROW sales and I think the number is closer to 11m than 12m. However, the label may well have shipped 13m hence the fugures quoted by McGuiness

Wide Awake in America - the album in certified platinum in the US at 1m sales, but I would argue that it has sold has many copies in Europe and the ROW as Boy & October. I would also think in the US that both albums would be closer to POP sales at 1.5m and WAIA closer to 1m. Happy to continue the discussion.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that WAR has outsolded UF and UABRS and could be closer to 9m based purely on the number of chart re-entries and from 83 onwards

The problem with the IFPI is that they will only certify albums that were released after January 1994, currently. This may change in the future though.

Joshua Tree global sales are derived from the reports back in 1987, confirmed sales from the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and chart positions in various countries back in 1987 as well as a general estimate on continued sales after 1987, based on the trend known in the United Kingdom.

For ATYCLB, here are the confirmed sales statistics:

United States 4.2 million
Europe 4 million
Canada 500,000
Brazil 400,000
Australia 350,000
New Zealand 45,000
Japan 160,000

Confirmed total sales from these region is at a minimum:

The European figure though could be closer to 5 million which would add another 500,000 to 900,000. ROW outside these area's could easily account for another 1 to 2 million.

hoxcome zooropa did so badly i mean going down from 17 million for achtung to 7 million for zooropa has to be bad...but was it really that bad?

STING2 said:

The European figure though could be closer to 5 million which would add another 500,000 to 900,000. ROW outside these area's could easily account for another 1 to 2 million.

i honestly find very difficult for an album to sell even only 500k copies out of the market you considered...other markets are really small for U2 (as for any other European/American Act) so i believe actual sales for ATYCLB is about 10-10.5 million (even if Paul McGuinness or Universal say more i don't trust them: it's all part of the promotional game to inflate a little bit sales)

Dima said:

i honestly find very difficult for an album to sell even only 500k copies out of the market you considered...other markets are really small for U2 (as for any other European/American Act) so i believe actual sales for ATYCLB is about 10-10.5 million (even if Paul McGuinness or Universal say more i don't trust them: it's all part of the promotional game to inflate a little bit sales)

Well lets take a look at some conservative estimates of the ROW countries sales for ATYCLB and I'll then give my basis for these estimates.

Argentina: 200,000
Chile: 100,000
Columbia: 20,000
Hong Kong: 20,000
Indonesia: 100,000
Israel: 50,000
India: 20,000
Korea: 50,000
Maylasia: 50,000
Mexico: 200,000
Philippines: 50,000
South Africa: 100,000
Singapore: 50,000
Taiwan: 10,000
Thailand: 20,000
Turkey: 50,000
ROW: 100,000

TOTAL ROW and ROW specific countries: 1,190,000

United States 4.2 million
Europe 4 million
Canada 500,000
Brazil 400,000
Australia 350,000
New Zealand 45,000
Japan 160,000

TOTAL CONFIRMED sales from these regions: 9,655,000

Unconfirmed sales in confirmed regions:

United States: at least 300,000 copies have been sold of ATYCLB beyond the 4.2 million figure Soundscan has, because Soundscan covers 90% to 95% of all sales to consumers, not 100%

Europe: Here potentially another 500,000 has been sold of ATYCLB, but being conservative, we'll say 250,000.

Canada: Perhaps another 50,000 copies has been sold here as well. ATYCLB could well be very close to 6 times platinum.

Other regions: 50,000

TOTAL unconfirmed sales in confirmed sales regions: 650,000

Grand Total album sales for ATYCLB: 11,495,000

Realize I consider this to be a conservative estimate. Also remember that when record company people talk of total albums sales worldwide, they are talking about total number of albums sold to retailers(stores), not consumers. This is often referred to as the shipment figure.

Now back to the estimates for the ROW specific countries. On average, an artist will sell far more albums than concert tickets in any region. There are some exceptions to this but 90% of the time an artist will sell more albums than concert tickets in any region.

Argentina: U2 played 3 shows here back in 1998 to over 160,000 people. The three combined shows in Buenos Aires gave U2 its highest GROSS Boxscore figure for the POPMART tour and I also believe its highest attendance when the three shows are combined. That ATYCLB had sales of 200,000 copies here I feel is indeed a conservative estimate.

Chile: Once again, U2 did a soldout show here to 67,000 people in 1998. I consider 100,000 in sales for ATYCLB to be conservative.

Israel: U2 played to 40,000 people here back in 1997. 50,000 in sales for ATYCLB is indeed a conservative estimate.

Mexico: U2 played to 110,000 people at two shows in 1997 in Mexico City. I think 200,000 in sales not a conservative estimate, but the likely sales figure for ATYCLB.

South Africa: U2 played to nearly 100,000 people at two shows here back in 1998, so 100,000 in sales is indeed at conservative estimate.

The rest of the countries were estimates based on sales by other artist who do not sell nearly as well as U2 around the world. In addition, the POPMART tour almost visited several of these countries back in 1998.

So, I think that sales of ATYCLB are easily 11.5 million and likely closing in on the 12 million mark.

in my opinion you're way too generous...Argentina for example has platinum with 40k copies and from what i know it's almost impossible for a foreign act to arrive to 3X platinum (BTW HTDAAB is gold with certified sales of 20k..at best ATYCLB is double platinum: 80k sold).

almost all eastern europe markets are really tiny cause of piracy..and that's also true for the majority of asian markets (I'd just exclude Japan and Korea)

Dima said:
in my opinion you're way too generous...Argentina for example has platinum with 40k copies and from what i know it's almost impossible for a foreign act to arrive to 3X platinum (BTW HTDAAB is gold with certified sales of 20k..at best ATYCLB is double platinum: 80k sold).

Well, here are some confirmed sales figures for another artist in these ROW regions that are not easily tracked. These are confirmed sales totals, for Metallica's "Black Album" which was released in August 1991. The date of the report is May 17, 1993 by PHONOGRAM INTL.. It is a fax with a complete list analyzing all of Metallica's sales in every country for each album up to May 1993. It is very extensive. This Fax was reprinted in the booklet for Metallica's live box set, along with other articles, and statistics, many of which are not positive in terms of sales success. So it is indeed and honest and accurate look at where Metallica stood in album sales in May of 1993.

So with that said, here is how Metallica's "Black Album" had sold in those ROW markets we are discussing from the albums release date in August of 1991 up to May of 1993.

Argentina 73,647
Chile 40,839
Panama 2,184
Columbia 7,160
Ecuador 930
Guatemala 2,120
Hong Kong 11,330
Indonesia 131,702
Israel 19,530
India 14,841
Korea 80,996
Malaysia 83,976
Mexico 151,000
Peru 2,199
Philippines 42,020
South Africa 16,051
Singapore 38,089
Taiwan 6,436
Thailand 18,621
Turkey 47,260
Uraguay 1,220
Zimbabwe 343
Venezuela 16,651

ROW TOTAL: 809,145

Now consider the fact that at that time, 70% of Metallica's album sales for the Black album came from North America. Many of the countries above, Metallica had never visited. The above numbers are for a band that is popular, but not mega popular outside North America at that time.

Consider that U2 albums in general outsell Metallica albums everywhere outside of North America. ATYCLB sold at a minimum 800,000+ in the ROW countries above.

So the May 1993 confirmed figures for Metallica show that these ROW countries do buy a lot of albums when you add up the numbers. While Metallica is a popular act, they do not outsell U2 when it comes to album sales outside North America, even for the "Black Album".

STING2 said:
Well, here are some confirmed sales figures for another artist in these ROW regions that are not easily tracked. These are confirmed sales totals, for Metallica's "Black Album" which was released in August 1991.

:yikes:

Please consider what you have just started. :no:

;)

The purpose of the post is not to compare Metallica and U2, but to show that album sales at the level I was estimating in these ROW countries do in fact happen on a regular basis.

I actually find it very interesting because even I in the past have kind of dismissed these countries as important markets, but the facts tell a different story. When dealing with Global acts, you do have to consider other area's besides North America and Europe when estimating sales.

Oh I am sure our friend will be back at some point in time.

I would like to state the fact that Bomb according to that World Sales page has outsold St. Anger already....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom