Now That You've Heard "Vertigo"...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2ulysses

The Fly
...will it be a hit?

There are many things to like about "Vertigo", the main one that all of the band sound great. Bono's vocals are top-notch. Edge's guitar is ripping. The rhythm section, as usual, is fantastic. The song rocks - which is key as it separates it from the more "soft rock" aspect of ATYCLB. However, as a first single, I just don't see this song being a hit.

"Beautiful Day" became a hit because of its message. It was a catchy song but was also applicable to everyday life, whether good or bad. Additionally, the song fit on rock stations, soft rock stations, Adult Top 40 stations, and Hot 100 stations. It met all formats. In contrast, I see "Vertigo" enjoying some time on the various rock stations, but that's it. I think, at best, this song will be another "Electrical Storm". That is, pent-up demand will cause the song to make an appearance in the Hot 100 on U.S. charts and make some rock charts (maybe cracking the top 10 there), but that's it.

In other countries, where U2 has often enjoyed more popularity (and where CD singles sell better), I can see the song doing well - but again, nowhere near that of "Beautiful Day". The single, depending on the competition, will most likely debut in the top 3 on the U.K. charts. This will be mostly due to, again, pent-up demand for new U2. But I don't see the song lingering near the top of the charts for long.

This is no "Discotheque". I don't see fans running from the album or U2 because of the song. However, I just don't see this song being the "big first single" U2 needs to ensure a "big hit album" (assuming that's their goal). That is, I just don't think this song is radio-friendly enough to be a hit.

Comments?

Based on every quote I've read of theirs... I don't think their intention is to reinvent themselves with this album at all. Achtung Baby was genre-transforming in it's transformation from all that came before it, and they don't need to do that. They don't thrive on the reinvention itself, but rather the enjoyment of making unexpected music. This will continue in the vein of what they've done early on, I hope. POP was awesome, but I'm ready for a stripped down un-sanitized rock record.

I also don't think they feel like they're under pressure to deliver a "big hit album". I think based on this song alone (the only one we've heard so far) they're going back to their early 80's roots, and making a rock and roll record.

I would guess they're well beyond freaking out about whether or not it will be popular, sell a million copies ...or a hundred copies. They've already made their permanent mark on our culture, and now they can sit back and enjoy what they're doing for the pure sake of fun. Isn't that what Vertigo sounds like? Like fun!

bredlo said:

I also don't think they feel like they're under pressure to deliver a "big hit album". I think based on this song alone (the only one we've heard so far) they're going back to their early 80's roots, and making a rock and roll record.

I would guess they're well beyond freaking out about whether or not it will be popular, sell a million copies ...or a hundred copies. !

That's why they are (in conjunction with Universal) about to spend £10m promoting the album- have no doubt they DO care about sales, but are VERY confident this album will be (yet) another 10million+ seller. As an opener to a new album - this is perfect (IMO)

Mike

IMHO, this song is great for radio. Fast, catchy chorus, short. I think they might just pick up a younger audience with this too. Guess we will just have to see what happens, but right now I am off to request it at every radio station in town. I really like it.

You know, I think it might really hit it off with the newer generation (like myself). It's not that content, relaxed, kind of middle-aged feeling of ATYCLB. Don't get me wrong; ATYCLB's one of my favorite albums, but it isn't what's playing on the today's-music radio stations.

Vertigo, on the other hand, is loud, angry, pure rock 'n' roll. Now, I know that pure rock 'n' roll is hard to find these days, but U2 certainly knows what's on the radio stations. Vertigo is not I Will Follow. It's not Out of Control. It's not even Sunday Bloody Sunday. I think Vertigo is as close to old-school-punk as U2 have ever gotten. In fact, I might even label it that.

"Beautiful Day became popular because of its message and because it was catchy." I definitely agree. But you don't hear those optimistic songs anymore. There's all sorts of new punk and metal stuff out there. I know my friends listen to it, and I know Vertigo sounds a lot more like it than BD does.

And Vertigo is definitely catchy. I haven't stopped going 'Hello, hello, I'm at a place called Vertigo' all afternoon. (And it keeps reminding me of Smells Like Teen Spirit. 'Hello, hello, hello how long / With the lights out...)

It depends, I guess, but I think just because it's U2 all the radio stations will give the song a lot of airtime, and, who knows? Maybe it'll take off. I definitely wouldn't put it past current listeners. How can you say no to this song?

Besides, anything to make them stop playing the Stones. Has anyone else noticed that? Every time I turn on the damn radio. It must be that they're dead, and they're making the we're-dead comeback. (Not that Mick and Keith will ever actually physically die...) At least U2's keeping the spirit alive, right?

Long live rock 'n' roll! :D

Back
Top Bottom