North America HTDAAB initial Shipment 2.2 MILLION!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
This is a very interesting article with some interesting information.

U2 Set to Explode Worldwide

LOS ANGELES (Billboard) - U2 has sold more than 120 million albums worldwide and won 14 Grammy Awards during the course of its 26-year career, so you would think that there would be a level of ease that comes with a new release.

Not so, says the Irish band's longtime manager Paul McGuinness.

"There is absolutely no resting on our laurels," he tells Billboard. "I say to people we have to break the band every time we put out a record."

And this is with an album that McGuinness expects to debut at No. 1 in "32 or 33 countries."

"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" comes out Nov. 22 internationally on Island, and Nov. 23 in the United States on Interscope, which is initially shipping 2.2 million copies.

The only stumbling block that might keep the album from entering The Billboard 200 at No. 1 is labelmate Eminem's new set, "Encore." However, McGuinness expects the advance of the street date for "Encore" from Nov. 16 to Nov. 12 to work in U2's favor.

ALWAYS ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT

Early reports that this is the best effort from the band -- Bono, the Edge, Larry Mullen Jr. and Adam Clayton -- since 1987's "The Joshua Tree" suit McGuinness just fine.

"The group's always trying to beat their previous best," he says. "They went into (their career) to do it as long as they could be great and then stop. They're like a championship holder. They hold the title, and they're not going to give it away. If someone wants to come and take it away, they'll have to fight them for it."

But this time at least, McGuinness feels that the job is a little easier since the band is coming off 2000's "All That You Can't Leave Behind," which sold 10.8 million copies worldwide and snared several Grammy Awards.

"With that record's launch, we were coming off a comparative flop," he says, referring to 1997's "Pop." "Mind you, it still did 7 or 8 million, but in our terms, that's not very good."

"Pop" sold 1.5 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan. "All That You Can't Leave Behind" sold 4.2 million Stateside.

Key to continuing U2's success is taking the record to "young recruits," as McGuinness refers to them. "If we can't break at modern rock (radio), we would regard this as a failure."

No such worries. "Vertigo" has topped the Billboard Modern Rock chart for four weeks, the Heritage Rock Chart for six weeks and Billboard Radio Monitor's Triple-A chart for seven weeks. All this is in addition to debuting at No. 1 on the U.K. singles chart.

Interscope is also reaching out to the teen audience by advertising on such youth-oriented outlets as MTV, MTV2, Fuse and various extreme-sports programs, label marketing executive Paul Kremen says. It also hired teen marketing firm Moxie to distribute 25,000 stickers to high schools and coordinate other grassroots efforts.

The album was serviced to radio via digital download Nov. 11. The band and the label will look at radio's reaction to the album to aid in picking subsequent singles. Unlike "Vertigo," which was the first single worldwide, McGuinness says he expects the next few singles to vary by market.

APPLE AT THE CORE

The core of the early push centered on a promotion with Apple Computer that launched with the Cupertino, Calif.-based company featuring "Vertigo" in its ubiquitous iPod/iTunes TV commercial.

"Apple is spending $20 million worldwide on the U2 commercials," McGuinness says.

Kremen believes that the Apple ads, which feature the band performing in silhouette, "helped create a really quick appetite" for the song, especially among U2's upper demos. "What ignites them is multiple impressions," he says. "And Apple gave us that. We could never afford that on our own." The "Vertigo" single was available exclusively through iTunes in the United States.

Additionally, the Apple/U2 partnership includes a special-edition iPod, available in mid-November. The black iPod, which holds 5,000 songs and costs $349, features a red click wheel and is laser autographed by U2's four members.

Another component of Apple's deal is a digital collection of more than 400 U2 songs, including about 25 previously unreleased or rare tracks. The digital set, which includes the new album and an elaborate PDF artwork file, sells for $149 on iTunes. However, the special iPod includes a coupon for $50 off the set.

The relationship between U2 and Apple could lead to the group's shows being available for download from the iTunes Music Store. The band's worldwide tour starts March 1, 2005 in Florida.

U2 is paying as much attention to traditional retail as to online sales by offering three editions of the set. The CD in a standard jewel case, or "the paperback version," as McGuinness calls it, retails for $13.98 in the United States. A deluxe CD/DVD package, with a documentary and five videos on the DVD, sells for $24.98, while the premium, limited-edition version (175,000 copies), which combines the CD and DVD with a hardback U2 book, is $39.98. The 70-page book carries artwork, paintings and graphics by the band.

"We thought one of the reasons the music business was losing out to peer-to-peer file sharing was that people had stopped making the record and its packaging a beautiful object to entice people back to the stores," McGuinness says.

Despite the effort, U2 was not able to keep the album from leaking to file-sharing services two weeks prior to its release. McGuinness and Interscope talked about moving up the in-store date but opted not to. "We thought, 'Let's not panic,"' McGuinness says.

Last edited:
Only 175,000 copies of the limited edition CD with DVD and Book will be out there!:eyebrow:

"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" comes out Nov. 22 internationally on Island, and Nov. 23 in the United States on Interscope, which is initially shipping 2.2 million copies.

Sting2, in your headline, you stated "North America HTDAAB initial Shipment 2.2 MILLION!", however, per the above quote, that's not what I'm reading.

I interpret the quote to say that HTDAAB is being released by Interscope on the 22nd or 23rd, and that this label has an initial shipment of 2.2 million WORLDWIDE. I do not read that sentence as 2.2 million just for the U.S. (or North America).

If HTDAAB has a monstrous first week, with sales of 600,000+ in the U.S., then I'm sure there'll be a huge rush to get more CD's to stores. But as of this moment, I think that 2.2 million number is meant for a worldwide shipment.

If I'm missing something, please kindly point it out - these older eyes can play tricks. ;)

Last edited:
Have to agree with the doc on this one. This is the same way I understood it, because the international and U.S. release were mentioned in the same sentence. We're probably looking at actually sales of about 1.5 million worldwide for week one. So 2.2 million seems a reasonable initial shipment.

I don't know. The sentence is confusing. However, I don't think that a shipment of 2.2 million copies just for the USA is that unreasonable. Shops are often encouraged by the labels to make a big initial order, so they have no problem selling the disc in the first week(s). In those first few weeks, demand is the highest and you don't want to risk of running out of copies. So you rather err on the high side (and then holding off re-ordering the disc until you've sold your stock or returning the discs to the label) than on the low side.

Just my € 0.02

:)

Marty

The initial shipment figure for POP was 4.5 million copies! It would be insane to only ship 2.2 million copies of the new album worldwide since the album will probably sale 1.5 million copies in the first week alone worldwide, if not more based on past performances. With only 2.2 million copies shipped there would be many shortages in the second and third weeks.

Record companies want to ship enough copies to handle sales for at least the first one to two months. In general, you have to slightly overestimate what your going to need to insure there are no shortages. No record company wants to lose sales because they failed to ship enough copies.

In addition, while it may be easy in some places to get copies of the album to retail, in other places it can take much more time.

I think if this sentence was refering to a total shipment worldwide it would read like this:

"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" comes out Nov. 22 internationally on Island, and Nov. 23 in the United States on Interscope, AND is initially shipping 2.2 million copies.

I don't think it's a ridiculous number to ship 2.2 M to the U.S. (or North America) as I'm sure the album will at least go 2x Platinum. Heck, it might reach that in actual consumer sales before the holidays are over.

Will it sell a lot more? Hmm... guess it depends on whether the 2nd and 3rd singles are big hits (like "Mysterious Ways" and "One" was for AB).

hmm speaking of shipments.....I'm guessing that The Best of 1990-2000/B-Sides counted as a "special" version of the one disc set? I know that it sold enough to be certified gold easily....especially with two discs....probably even close to platinum from the shipments.....so do you think that this time around, the two releases were both counted towards the same certification?

There was an article that stated that 3 million records would be shipped the first week, so I agree with Sting2 that 2.2m for the US would not be unreasonable. Heck the album would be estimated to sell 1/2mil in the first week and certainly would be platinum (1m) by Christmas. And given how popular U2 is in Europe (Vertigo has topped many singles charts), it would have to go close to selling 1m copies in the first couple of weeks of release so 2.2m is too skinny a number (never mind the ROW)

zoo tv mcg said:
There was an article that stated that 3 million records would be shipped the first week, so I agree with Sting2 that 2.2m for the US would not be unreasonable. Heck the album would be estimated to sell 1/2mil in the first week and certainly would be platinum (1m) by Christmas. And given how popular U2 is in Europe (Vertigo has topped many singles charts), it would have to go close to selling 1m copies in the first couple of weeks of release so 2.2m is too skinny a number (never mind the ROW)

Bomb will initially ship around at least 5 million copies worldwide. Traditionally the US accounts for around 35% of total U2 sales (higher in the early years and lower more lately) so this isn't an unreasonable estimate.

On another thread many of us have predicted first week sales - my prediction just over 2 m.

Mike

The first week shipment was 5.6 m worldwide (600k in the UK and 2.2m in the USA - UK and USA together 2.8 m = 50% of the total).
Now we have over 1m in the UK, an additional shipment of 400k at least and over 3m in the USA, an additional shipment of 800k at least. This means an additional shipment of 1.2m at least in these both countries (remember with 50% of the initial shipment).

So here is my new estimation:

1st week shipment: 5.6 m
UK + USA: 1.2 m
ROW (also 50%): 1.2 m

Total ww shipment: 8.0 m

So I think the bomb has in the meantime worldwide (shipment) sales from 8.0 to 8.5 m!

Well one thing we do know is that the album is certified for 3 million units shipped in the US now so it is off to an excellent start.

Back
Top Bottom