NLOTH Week 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lets face it, Ronan Keating is number one with an album full of covers and a blatant cash-in on mother's day.

It's the same reason The Sun sells more than The Indy or The Times, most people have poor taste. We should be grateful it was number one for two weeks!

Of all my most recent album purchases, it's the only one I have kept playing. Usually I go back to other stuff in the car, but I can't put NLOTH down...

i think people buy that paper (i won't say read it, more like look at the pictures) as they arent very bright.

Lets face it, Ronan Keating is number one with an album full of covers and a blatant cash-in on mother's day.

It's the same reason The Sun sells more than The Indy or The Times, most people have poor taste. We should be grateful it was number one for two weeks!

Of all my most recent album purchases, it's the only one I have kept playing. Usually I go back to other stuff in the car, but I can't put NLOTH down...

Ronan's album is number 1 because people are lazy with mother's day and just buy presents their mother's won't even like :shrug:

At this time of year in the UK 50K is about typical for a no 1 album unless its a big artist.

Like it or not Ronan Keating qualifies. The mammies of Britain and Ireland love him. Its his 8th !! no.1 album including 4 with Boyzone. Its also a charity record. Its going to have a short life though as he doesnt plan on doing much promotion.

What might be a serious problem for the US is that the tour doesnt start until Sept.

They might need to get creative on the promotional side between now and then. Its not a hook/airplay friendly album so they need to find other ways of getting it in front of people outside of the hardcore audience.

They might need a couple of special retail promotions/partnerships in the lead up to the tour also. Its not clear to me though how that would work since the album is already out so the "exclusive" aspect (see the Eagles, AC/DC) is not available to make it attractive to a retail chain.

US Numbers so far....

1 1 KELLY CLARKSON RCA/RMG 64,717
ALL I EVER WANTED
16 2 TWILIGHT ATLANTIC 61,684
SOUNDTRACK
6 3 LADY GAGA INTERSCOPE 39,279
FAME
5 4 TAYLOR SWIFT BIG MACHINE 38,616
FEARLESS
3 5 U2 INTERSCOPE 37,592
NO LINE ON THE HORIZON

With 70 percent of the total in from hits daily double.

UK run is 1-1-6 and those sales are about right

I expect about 20,000 next week. They probably got a slight increase from mother's day so that will fade and the album will take a drop too

Where'd Twilight come from? :ohmy:

UK run is 1-1-6 and those sales are about right

I expect about 20,000 next week. They probably got a slight increase from mother's day so that will fade and the album will take a drop too

Where'd Twilight come from? :ohmy:

I think the movie was just released on DVD and the soundtrack may have gotten a boost.

So what's U2's UK run so far?

1-1-5

and

158,000-44,261-30,199

Can anyone verify exact numbers for the U.S. and U.K. and any other place?

U.K.:1-1-6 157,926-44,261 -30,199
U.S:1-3 574(Street date violations)-483,925-132,494
AUSTRALIA:1-1-3 29,963-13,982 -8,135

Netherlands: 1-1-2

don't know exact sales, but first week >60,000 (platinum)
third week it sold 50% of number 1, and number 1 sold more than 60,000 albums, which means U2 sold in week 3 at least 30,000.

So a very conservative estimation of album sales for first 3 weeks is 120,000. Thats pretty amazing.

75% on hits and just on 40,000 sold (just under), so looking good for 60k maybe even a little more, also it could sneak back up to as high as number 3, as there doesnt seem much in it at all.

Not bad:

LW TW artist / album label power index % change
1 1 KELLY CLARKSON RCA/RMG 86,957 -66%
ALL I EVER WANTED
16 2 TWILIGHT ATLANTIC 77,690 +270%
SOUNDTRACK
3 3 U2 INTERSCOPE 77,597 -38%
NO LINE ON THE HORIZON
2 4 THE-DREAM DEF JAM/IDJMG 51,204 -65%
LOVE VS. MONEY
6 5 LADY GAGA INTERSCOPE 50,406 +10%
FAME
5 6 TAYLOR SWIFT BIG MACHINE 46,790 -9%
FEARLESS
7 7 NICKELBACK ROADRUNNER 33,471 -8%
DARK HORSE
-- 8 GORILLA ZOE BAD BOY/ATLANTIC 28,306 --
DON'T FEED DA ANIMALS
8 9 BEYONCE COLUMBIA 26,511 -5%
I AM... SASHA FIERCE
10 10 JAMIE FOXX J RECORDS/RMG 24,088 -8%

Not bad:

LW TW artist / album label power index % change
1 1 KELLY CLARKSON RCA/RMG 86,957 -66%
ALL I EVER WANTED
16 2 TWILIGHT ATLANTIC 77,690 +270%
SOUNDTRACK
3 3 U2 INTERSCOPE 77,597 -38%
NO LINE ON THE HORIZON
2 4 THE-DREAM DEF JAM/IDJMG 51,204 -65%
LOVE VS. MONEY
6 5 LADY GAGA INTERSCOPE 50,406 +10%
FAME
5 6 TAYLOR SWIFT BIG MACHINE 46,790 -9%
FEARLESS
7 7 NICKELBACK ROADRUNNER 33,471 -8%
DARK HORSE
-- 8 GORILLA ZOE BAD BOY/ATLANTIC 28,306 --
DON'T FEED DA ANIMALS
8 9 BEYONCE COLUMBIA 26,511 -5%
I AM... SASHA FIERCE
10 10 JAMIE FOXX J RECORDS/RMG 24,088 -8%

as usual the last 25% was where the big sales were for U2, though i was fearing the worst i must admitt. the last 2 weeks billboard has had higher sales than hits, so maybe #2 possible.

Pretty good hold, but getting beat by less than 100 copies by Twilight soundtrack is painful.

Great numbers for both week 3's in the US and UK :applaud:

Now lets get magnificent up and running in the UK.

Last week U2 had half as many albums sold as Kelly Clarkson. This week only 10% less. That is pretty impressive. And no surprise on the Twilight Soundtrack...that is pretty popular these days with the teens.

A pretty good showing for U2 in week 3.

Great numbers for both week 3's in the US and UK :applaud:

I agree. :up:

I'm actually pleasantly surprised and very happy about these results, for a number of reasons:
  1. NLOTH's drop was only 38% per HITS, about half as much as last week;
  2. This suggests NLOTH is already starting to stabilize - and it may indeed remain steady in the Top 10-20 for a while
  3. Both Clarkson's and The-Dream's albums had drops of 65% or more in their second weeks;
  4. Their big drops prove that U2's second week drop was not unique - it is industry wide (as those albums are from artists in different genres of music - pop and rap)
  5. NLOTH may jump up to #2 with SoundScan data

I realize that some will claim that after three weeks, NLOTH still hasn't sold as much as HTDAAB did in its first week. Again, one has to look at many factors, like the lack of a commercial (which translated into a big hit single), the time of year, and the economy. Plus, even with a big hit single, Clarkson's album, after two weeks, barely outsold what her last album did in one week - and that album was considered a "flop" (despite Platinum certification in the U.S. and selling approx. 2.5M copies worldwide). In other words, the decrease in CD sales have reached a point where it is very obvious. As a result, NLOTH may remain in the U.S. Top 10 or 20 for quite some time, despite soft sales.

If the ratio of U2's decline to Kelly Clarkson's decline is the same next week, its technically possible that No Line On The Horizon could return to the #1 spot next week in the USA, which would be a first for U2. A U2 album has never before dropped from the #1 spot to return again to it in the United States.

If Kelly's album see's a 30% decline next week, but U2 only see a 22% decline, then they might just edge her out for the #1 spot, provided of course Twilight Soundtrack also declines by more than U2.

Unless, of course there is a major new release today that will top the chart next week.

Back
Top Bottom