NLOTH Week 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, just a reminder of how illegal downloading and other ways of obtaining the album for free have impacted the music market, take a look at these numbers:

Top 10 selling albums in the United States released in the year 2000:

'N SYNC - No Strings Attached : 11 million
EMINEM - The Marshall Mathers LP : 11 million
THE BEATLES - 1 : 10 million
BRITNEY SPEARS - Oops!...I Did It Again : 10 million
LINKIN PARK - Hybrid Theory : 10 million
NELLY - Country Grammar : 9 million
BACKSTREET BOYS - Black And Blue : 8 million
Various Artists - O BROTHER, WHERE ARE THOU ? (soundtrack) : 8 million
ENYA - A Day Without Rain : 7 million
SHAGGY - Hotshot : 7 million

Top 10 selling albums in the United States released in the year 2008:

LIL WAYNE - Tha Carter III : 3 million
TAYLOR SWIFT - Fearless : 2,4 million
COLDPLAY - Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends : 2,2 million
AC/DC - Black Ice : 2 million
BEYONCE - I Am... Sasha Fierce : 1,7 million
T.I. - Paper Trail : 1,6 million
METALLICA - Death Magnetic : 1,6 million
Various Artists - MAMMA MIA (soundtrack) : 1,5 million
JACK JOHNSON - Sleep Through The Static : 1,5 million
NICKELBACK - Dark Horse : 1,4 million

That data should clean the mind of Clean187.

What about worldwide numbers?
It was around 1.1mln after first week, right? When will the 2nd week numbers be known?

:wave:

So we have 100k in the preweek, 1.182k in the first whole week. In the main countries we see now a decline of 70%. So I guess we will see this week worldwide sales about 350k.

Still #1 in Iceland. That´s pretty good since foreign artists don´t sell much here. Icelanders buy Icelandic music and download foreign music, especially after the bank crisis.

Like I've said, third week will tell the tale...

I tend to agree.

What I find funny is that in any kind of department in society it seems that a mindset can change in a week. For example, sport is a big example of how the critics hit out after a poor performance by a player or team. A team could go on a 10 week winning streak and then lose the next game and the media discuss how vulnerable the team is and analyse how they have so many weaknesses when the week before they were discussing how the team was unbeatable.

I use this analogy as I am seeing the same with No Line On The Horizon. After the second week and the quite large drop in sales of 65-75% people seem to be already writing the album off. I don't think it will be the be all and end all if sales aren't huge next week. What will tell the tale is the first two months and then the effect the tour has on the boost of the album up the charts. Then after all this can we analyse how well No Line On The Horizon has performed.

NLOTH comes in at #1 on the Eurochart Top 100 albums; it's 3rd week on the chart and 2nd straight at the top. Kelly Clarkson came in around #3.

NLOTH #3 in the U.S. in week 2; #1 in Canada.

FYI, U218 Singles is #16 on the Pop Catalog Chart; good enough for #159 on BB's comprehensive Top 200 albums chart
Best of 1980-90 also on the Pop Catalog chart at #38

Also, just a reminder of how illegal downloading and other ways of obtaining the album for free have impacted the music market, take a look at these numbers:

Top 10 selling albums in the United States released in the year 2000:

'N SYNC - No Strings Attached : 11 million
EMINEM - The Marshall Mathers LP : 11 million
THE BEATLES - 1 : 10 million
BRITNEY SPEARS - Oops!...I Did It Again : 10 million
LINKIN PARK - Hybrid Theory : 10 million
NELLY - Country Grammar : 9 million
BACKSTREET BOYS - Black And Blue : 8 million
Various Artists - O BROTHER, WHERE ARE THOU ? (soundtrack) : 8 million
ENYA - A Day Without Rain : 7 million
SHAGGY - Hotshot : 7 million

Top 10 selling albums in the United States released in the year 2008:

LIL WAYNE - Tha Carter III : 3 million
TAYLOR SWIFT - Fearless : 2,4 million
COLDPLAY - Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends : 2,2 million
AC/DC - Black Ice : 2 million
BEYONCE - I Am... Sasha Fierce : 1,7 million
T.I. - Paper Trail : 1,6 million
METALLICA - Death Magnetic : 1,6 million
Various Artists - MAMMA MIA (soundtrack) : 1,5 million
JACK JOHNSON - Sleep Through The Static : 1,5 million
NICKELBACK - Dark Horse : 1,4 million

I can't argue with these sales figures, but then again, I never tried to. I think I asked what the difference was in access to illegal downloads was today vs. 2004. I'm not sure why you posted sales figures from 2000. And seriously, your argument wasa lot of people in the USA didn't have the internet in 2004? Seriously? That's your argument?

Even then, my point was 2nd week drop off %....I'm not quite sure why you keep pointing to total sales?

I would argue that illegal downloading and burning has a great deal to do with it, but I think people underestimate I-Tunes, and the ability to be able to download any song off an album you want now. In 2000, if I really liked "Unknown Caller", I couldn't just buy that song....it was buy the album or bust.

Billboard's International Album Charts, by country, for week 2 (March 28 edition)

Austrailia
NOLTH #1 TW; #1 LW
Austria
NOLTH #1 TW; #1 LW
Belgium; Flanders
NOLTH #1 TW; #1 LW
Belgium; Wallony
NOLTH #3 TW; #2 LW
Canada
NOLTH #1 TW; #1 LW
Denmark
NOLTH #2 TW; #1 LW
Finland
NOLTH #3 TW; #1 LW
France
NOLTH #3 TW; #2 LW
Germany
NOLTH #2 TW; #1 LW
Hungary
NOLTH #1 TW; #1 LW (Boots #2 TW; #2 LW)
Ireland
NOLTH #1 TW; #1 LW
Italy
NOLTH #1 TW; #1 LW
Netherlands
NOLTH #1 TW; #1 LW
Norway
NOLTH #2 TW; #1 LW
Portugal
NOLTH #1 TW; #1 LW
Spain
NOLTH #1 TW; #1 LW
Sweden
NOLTH #2 TW; #2 LW
Switzerland
NOLTH #1 TW; #1 LW
United Kingdon
NOLTH #1 TW; #1 LW

This album is already considered a "flop" by a number of posters on this forum. I respectfully disagree, and based on these charts, I fully expect NLOTH to be the #1 album in the WORLD again this week. Every band/artist in the world would love to have such "dismal" chart performance, no?

I can't argue with these sales figures, but then again, I never tried to. I think I asked what the difference was in access to illegal downloads was today vs. 2004. I'm not sure why you posted sales figures from 2000. And seriously, your argument wasa lot of people in the USA didn't have the internet in 2004? Seriously? That's your argument?

Even then, my point was 2nd week drop off %....I'm not quite sure why you keep pointing to total sales?

I would argue that illegal downloading and burning has a great deal to do with it, but I think people underestimate I-Tunes, and the ability to be able to download any song off an album you want now. In 2000, if I really liked "Unknown Caller", I couldn't just buy that song....it was buy the album or bust.

Believe it or not, there are still millions of people who actually don't have access to the internet. The number of people who have access to the internet increases every year. Its certainly above the levels in 2004.

As more people gain access to the internet, more people discover things like "file sharing" or other ways of obtaining music for free. I put up the sales chart to demonstrate the rapid decrease in sales over time primarily because people are able to obtain music for free these days thanks to increased access to technology.

Also, I asked what would NOT be consider a big drop for 2nd week sales. Remember, your claim is that 59% is normal, but 73% is a BIG drop.

nloth still n.1 on mediatraffic with 421.000 copies sold. so far on mediatraffic sold 1.703.000 copies. mediatraffic have only 92,5% of total worldwide sales,so the real copies sold is 1.830.000.not bad. i have faith for a long life for this album.:up:

Billboard's International Album Charts, by country, for week 2 (March 28 edition)

Austrailia
NOLTH #1 TW; #1 LW
Austria
NOLTH #1 TW; #1 LW
Belgium; Flanders
NOLTH #1 TW; #1 LW
Belgium; Wallony
NOLTH #3 TW; #2 LW
Canada
NOLTH #1 TW; #1 LW
Denmark
NOLTH #2 TW; #1 LW
Finland
NOLTH #3 TW; #1 LW
France
NOLTH #3 TW; #2 LW
Germany
NOLTH #2 TW; #1 LW
Hungary
NOLTH #1 TW; #1 LW (Boots #2 TW; #2 LW)
Ireland
NOLTH #1 TW; #1 LW
Italy
NOLTH #1 TW; #1 LW
Netherlands
NOLTH #1 TW; #1 LW
Norway
NOLTH #2 TW; #1 LW
Portugal
NOLTH #1 TW; #1 LW
Spain
NOLTH #1 TW; #1 LW
Sweden
NOLTH #2 TW; #2 LW
Switzerland
NOLTH #1 TW; #1 LW
United Kingdon
NOLTH #1 TW; #1 LW

This album is already considered a "flop" by a number of posters on this forum. I respectfully disagree, and based on these charts, I fully expect NLOTH to be the #1 album in the WORLD again this week. Every band/artist in the world would love to have such "dismal" chart performance, no?

add Poland to the list - 2nd week at #1

:)

Best selling albums during 2009
1. U2 - No Line On The Horizon 1.703.000
2. Bruce Springsteen - Working On A Dream 1.200.000
3. Beyoncé - I Am... Sasha Fierce 1.054.000
4. Kings Of Leon - Only By The Night 945.000
5. Taylor Swift - Fearless 858.000
6. Soundtrack - Twilight 833.000
7. Britney Spears - Circus 824.000
8. Pink - Funhouse 804.000
9. Lady Gaga - The Fame 800.000
10. Nickelback - Dark Horse 779.000

Best selling albums released in 2009

1. U2 - No Line On The Horizon 1703000
2. Bruce Springsteen - Working On A Dream 1200000
3. Lily Allen - It's Not Me, It's You 555500
4. The Fray - The Fray 499000
5. Franz Ferdinand - Tonight: Franz Ferdinand 428000
6. Soundtrack - Slumdog Millionaire 380000
7. The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die 355000
8. Kelly Clarkson - All I Ever Wanted 345000
9. Les Enfoirés - Les Enfoirés Font Leur Cinéma 2009 309000
10. Morrissey - Years Of Refusal 195000

Both figures are big. Happy?

I would say 55%-60% is a normal depreciation for a "big" release. The larger the sales figure is the opening week, the more likely it is to have a larger depreciation the next week. That's why I find such a large drop off for NLOTH so concerning.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope it has a more reasonable drop in it's third week. It's a great album, and I want people to hear it.

I would say 55%-60% is a normal depreciation for a "big" release. The larger the sales figure is the opening week, the more likely it is to have a larger depreciation the next week. That's why I find such a large drop off for NLOTH so concerning.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope it has a more reasonable drop in it's third week. It's a great album, and I want people to hear it.

Well, Bomb dropped 66% in its second week, despite it being the holiday season. In any event, what your saying is that if the album had sold 190,000 copies in its second week, that would be normal, but 160,000 or 132,000 and its cause for alarm? I don't think so. I'll be proven right when the year end album sales chart for 2009 comes out. No Line On The Horizon will be in the top 10 or very close to it in the USA.

Right now, U2 are on track to have the biggest selling album of the year worldwide. After just two weeks, they have the biggest selling album of the year so far:

The have a decent chance to end up with the biggest selling album of the year worldwide.

Eminem will be the biggest seller this year. No doubt about that.

He certainly could be, but it will definitely be competitive for the top slot. But Eminem won't be selling out stadiums around the world like U2. He can't even sellout arena's in most markets.

I'm actually quite impressed by the #3-10 on this list. If they have been on sale for 12 weeks, that's 65.000-85.000 per week, and that is without their first week fan-sales.

whos to say that KOL can't go on to have one of the biggest sellers of the year, if it stays in the UK top 10 and US top 50 all year it might just do that.

Just remember, HTDAAB had a 66% drop. It was just buoyed by the holiday season, better economic times and less illegal downloads.

NLOTH's drop is huge, but there's also no "Vertigo" to keep it going. Hopefully "Magnificent" will keep working its way up and support the album.

when opening week sales are 840k, a big drop has to be expected, but i wasnt expecting the huge drop this time, and its not just in the US its everywhere. in the UK NLOTH sales are going to be lower than what bomb sold in the first few weeks of january after it had already sold 850k. magnificent is needed as soon as possible.

Back
Top Bottom