NLOTH. Week 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What I find fascinating about previous albums re-entering is it means people may not have heard them before - yet a new U2 album inspires them to do so.

Either that or old fans lost their old copies :wink:

i think next week on mediatraffic nloth will sold between 1,4-1,5 mln worldwide. what do you think people?:up:

From last weeks Billboard:

Denver rock act The Fray's self-titled album fell five to No. 8 with 31,000, and Jamie Foxx's "Intuition" dropped three to No. 9, also with 31,000. Kanye West's "808s & Heartbreak" was down two to No. 10 with 26,000.

WOW! 26,000 copies is all it takes to make the top 10 these days! Thats ridiculous!

From last weeks Billboard:

Denver rock act The Fray's self-titled album fell five to No. 8 with 31,000, and Jamie Foxx's "Intuition" dropped three to No. 9, also with 31,000. Kanye West's "808s & Heartbreak" was down two to No. 10 with 26,000.

WOW! 26,000 copies is all it takes to make the top 10 these days! Thats ridiculous!

I remember following u2's sales back in 1997 and 2001. I want to say 50k was needed to get into the top 20 and 100k to get in the top 10. Its kinda sad to see that but we are in a digital age now.

ATYCLB sold 39k albums in its 24th week and it was at # 45 on the charts. That would be number 6 or 7 now.

I remember following u2's sales back in 1997 and 2001. I want to say 50k was needed to get into the top 20 and 100k to get in the top 10. Its kinda sad to see that but we are in a digital age now.

How long do you reckon it will be before the album charts will be irrelevant? Its sad to see.

How long do you reckon it will be before the album charts will be irrelevant? Its sad to see.

You would have to believe that they will level off eventually like everything else in life. I think that new standards will be set and charts will always exist. Its kinda like movies. 100 million was a huge blockbuster of a movie but now, due to move ticket prices, 100 million is almost common and 200 million is considered a blockbuster. When it comes to albums, in the 90's- 5-6x platinum was a standard of success. Now, 2 or 3x is amazing.

I agree with you that it is sad :down:

You would have to believe that they will level off eventually like everything else in life. I think that new standards will be set and charts will always exist. Its kinda like movies. 100 million was a huge blockbuster of a movie but now, due to move ticket prices, 100 million is almost common and 200 million is considered a blockbuster. When it comes to albums, in the 90's- 5-6x platinum was a standard of success. Now, 2 or 3x is amazing.

I agree with you that it is sad :down:

I guess they can make positive moves to help curb the trend. Like pricing all albums on ITunes for $5, or €5. That would encourage more people to buy whole albums rather than just single tracks I think.

If NLOTH makes 2xPlatinum in the current market that is a seriously good performance. Taylor Swift was at number one last week with just 80k i think:|

A better judge of how well the album is being recieved will be on tour demand in the US not album sales.

Also if you are going to look at album sales you should look at the length of the chart run for an album to see how successful or unsucessful it is these days, and not base it totally on physical units.

I said before this album no matter how good or bad it was to beat the sales of the last 2 albums in the current world of downloading and people only buying certain tracks would almost be impossible.

I hope to be proven wrong though but I doubt it.

nloth entry at n.2 in brasil behind o.s.t brasilian i think that sales a lot in these first 3 weeks. boots new entry at 74 in hot 100 singles.

Apologies if this has already been answered, but are digital downloads part of the album chart calculations? NLOTH is parked at #1 and #2 on iTunes, which is where most people get their music nowadays. :applaud:

Apologies if this has already been answered, but are digital downloads part of the album chart calculations? NLOTH is parked at #1 and #2 on iTunes, which is where most people get their music nowadays. :applaud:

Yup they are but physical albums still outsell digitals by a wide margin

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom