NLOTH. Week 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We will see the album at a high position on the United World Chart this week, even though we are still technically in the first week of sales.
France went on sale last Friday, selling 63k in two days.
Japan sold 33k in 4 days.
It was on sale last week in Australia but wasn't counted in the chart.
I think it was also released in Germany on Friday??
Either way it will debut with at least 96k on the world chart this week, which is good enough at the moment for about number 7 position

It went on sale the 27th in at least 9 countries, according to iTunes listings I've seen. In NL it managed a reported 60.000 sales on the first day (also 27 Febr).

NLOTH is already Platinum in Poland
(20.000, yeah it is really low for a "platinum" title, but that's how album sales look like over here now)
Released 27.02, so with a few more days in sales it's a safe No.1 for this week

:wave:

Obviously it's because of your small population. Platinum is platinum regardless of the country.

When I checked, two countries didn't have NLOTH at #1, the U.K. and Australia.

However, both of those countries had NLOTH split - a deluxe set and the normal set. Both were at #2 and #3 in those countries. If sales of those two are combined, I wonder if that would be enough to be #1?

As far as overall sales go, I don't think NLOTH will be split into "deluxe" and "normal" etc. It will just be NLOTH. So this should be enough for #1 on the main charts in all of those countries.

What's interesting is that when I look at iTunes in the U.S., there are also the two versions (deluxe and normal at #1 and #2). But this worldwide chart only shows one version (i.e., doesn't split into deluxe and normal). Wonder why it's not split for the U.S., but split for other countries?

New U2 album No Line On The Horizon given lukewarm reception:

It was billed as the album to save the music industry and launched amid a publicity blitz.

But record-buyers have given only a cautious welcome to the new release by U2.

Finally released on Monday after a marketing campaign that peaked with a rooftop gig at the BBC, No Line On The Horizon sold 65,000 copies in the UK on its release day, the Official Charts Company said.

The figure suggests U2 have fallen behind Take That in the public’s affections. The revived boy band sold 133,000 copies of their album, The Circus, on its day of release, last December.

Coldplay, U2’s rival for the title of “world’s biggest band”, have surpassed their mentors. Their Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends CD shifted 125,000 copies on its opening day.

U2 need to sell 300,000 copies in the UK this week to match the performance of Coldplay and Take That. But they are likely to fall short.

A spokesman for HMV said: “U2 are doing really well for us and sales are in line with expectations. It’s likely to shift between 150,000 and the best part of 200,000 copies by the end of the week, which is very respectable for this time of year.”

The album is also expected to become one of the best-selling legitimate downloads ever, via iTunes. It is currently the iTunes No1 in 11 countries including Germany and Japan.

U2’s last record, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, sold nine million copies worldwide. The Joshua Tree (1987) sold 25 million at the band’s peak.

But the new album is being released into a recorded music market hit by the recession and decimated by downloading. The band’s decision to allow fans to stream No Line... on the free music website Spotify may have backfired.

Fans who did not like the album, widely praised for being more experimental that their previous efforts, may have decided not to rush into record stores.

Universal, U2’s record company, is refusing to panic. The album, their 12th studio release, is expected to sell steadily over an 18-month period. U2 are about to announce a stadium world tour, which promises to feature an innovative 360 degree stage set.

Concert promoters say demand to see U2 in concert is as strong as ever, confirming the shift away from CDs to live performance for the music world’s biggest-earning names.

US sales are also being keenly watched by Universal. The Irish quartet are playing a five-night residency on the Late Show with David Letterman to maximise impact.

MPs criticised the BBC for handing over hours of free airtime to the band in a special “U2 equals BBC” day last Friday. The band are determined to maintain their status as the “world’s biggest”, not least because it gives singer Bono leverage in his discussions over Africa debt relief with world leaders.

The album was preceded by a single, Get On Your Boots, which failed to make the top ten. Radio stations, still a vital conduit for bands to reach casual record buyers, did not give a warm reception to the track.

It's funny how they are saying it's a flop already after ONE day of sales, and in reality 65,000 for one day actually is quite good. This album was NEVER going to sell 400,000+ first week in the UK, especially with the financial goings-on.
Look at their previous albums starting results, and this will be right alongside them.

Lol, most U2 fans have to take time out of their busy schedules to go buy the record, as opposed to popping in after school! Sales will be just fine this week.

Take That = Mom's pick up the CD during their shopping on a monday when they drop the kids of at school / Released in December so its bought as a X mas gift.

The supermarkets also have the album on sale really cheaply so I'd expect big sales on the weekend during shopping trips

I'd say 200k is still a possibility

lol, our population's bigger than Canada's :wink:
List of countries by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(no33 to your no36 :p)

In the 90's an album would have to sell 500k for 'platinum' and 250k for 'gold',
since then they lower those numbers from time to time,
last time in 2005 - HTDAAB had to reach 40.000 to be 'platinum', now it's only 20.000

Now what does that say then when it reached 60.000 sales the first day in Holland then? :p we're a veeeeeery small country! Number 61! :lol:

that is not surprising to me
Coldplay are much more popular band today....in terms of popular culture of the moment.
U2 never had the best selling album of the year. Oasis outsold them in UK couple of times if I'm not mistaken. There was always some pop or rock band that was the band of the moment/day/year...
and today Coldplay is loved by many, and liked by many more... U2 are either loved or not...so what is missing is that population that will buy album just because they think that it might be good. Or at least that population is small...

Coldplay are still young and didn't have enough time jet to make many people hate them as U2 did :)

U2 were considered to be the biggest band during the Joshua tree and Zoo tv eras.

Coldplay has probably one of the biggest casual music fan followings, U2 has plenty of casuals and more diehards, they're latest albums might not be as big as their earlier ones, but their tours will continue to be much bigger than Coldplay, and even if we weren't living in a down time for record sales CP could never touch the sales JT and AB attained. They're liked by casual music fans who don't know enough about music to know how influenced, and not amazing their music is. That said, I do like the sound of what they come up with, just as a composer and diehard U2 fan I find the credit they get for their music to be way too much.

And U2 is so big that a street in NY is named about them:applaud: We have to wait 16 years till Coldplay get the same honor. If.....

U2's new album destined for British No. 1

Reuters, March 03, 2009

Mike Collett-White

LONDON (Reuters) - Irish band U2's new album "No Line On The Horizon" is destined to hit number one in Britain at the end of the week, with first-day sales of 65,000, industry figures and the Official Charts Company said on Tuesday.

The group's 12th studio album is expected to be one of the pop world's biggest in 2009, and strong sales would provide a boost for an industry struggling to reverse a downward trend in physical record sales.

The Official Charts Company (OCC) said the album had sold more than four times as many copies as its nearest rival in the first two days of the new chart week, putting it on course to be the fastest-selling album so far this year.

While U2's stature and the publicity blitz in the run-up to No Line's release on Monday virtually guaranteed it a number one slot in Britain, the outright figure is likely to be more closely watched.

The OCC did not give a figure, but Music Week publication said first-day sales were around 65,000, a total one industry expert said was impressive but not record-breaking.

The OCC said No Line would be U2's 10th British No. 1 album, putting them on a par with the Rolling Stones and Madonna and one shy of Elvis Presley. The Beatles hold the record with 15.

No Line is the group's first album in over four years and is being released by Vivendi's Universal Music Group label.

U2's last record, "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb," sold nine million copies worldwide.

© Thomson Reuters, 2009. :up:

Take That = Mom's pick up the CD during their shopping on a monday when they drop the kids of at school / Released in December so its bought as a X mas gift.

totally agree with this comment, U2's record buyers are more likely to be in work, sales should be strong all week and Saturday should be a big day for NLOTH. also nice to see the cheap prices less than £10 in supermarkets and £12 for the limited edition version.

unbeliveable to see U2 called less popular than take that, theres always going to be at least one artist in each country thats bigger than U2, its U2 being one of the most popular in EVERY country that makes them the worlds biggest band.:love:

According to Hits Daily Double.Com, looks like it's going to do between 400-450K it's first week in the U.S.

A slight dissappointment, but, that's what you get when "Boots" is your lead single.

an update on BBC news site

The group's 12th album No Line on the Horizon sold 69,800 copies on its first day on sale, Mercury Records said.

so an extra 5k than first reported!

shame about the US

It's gonna do about half of what Bomb did it's first week, but, I guess that's to be expected. It's not Q4...hell, bomb came out "Black Friday" week. Even Kanye West and other big artists have done 400-500K their first week, so I suppose it's not surprising...even though "Boots" isn't setting the world on fire, I would've thought it would've been close to 500K this week.

coldplay manage over 700k in week 1, although there were effectively 2 lead singles with that album. magnificent is in top 100 iTunes of US and UK, lets hope this catches on.

HITS Daily Double

U2 BOOTS UP THE CHART

New Interscope Album To Bow at #1, 400-450k in Sales

March 4, 2009

All those TV appearances, all those award show performances, all those online retail deals paid off for U2, whose Interscope album, No Line on the Horizon, will debut at #1 next week, with a respectable, if not overwhelming, total between 400-450k.

That’s based on one-day sales reports from those retailers who still have their doors open, as well as the usual online suspects.

Credit a marketing component involving Starbucks and $3.99 downloads at AmazonMP3.com for helping the iconic Irish rockers, who now have their own street with their names on it in Manhattan, with the year’s best sales debut. Springsteen was the previous record-holder, with sales of 211k for his Working on a Dream album, which came out last month.

By comparison, U2’s last album, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, which came out in Nov. 2004, admittedly during the Q4 rush, sold 840k its first week out.

Other Top 50 bows will include Anti’s Neko Case ( 35-40k) and Thrive’s Total Dance 2009 (15-20k).

Hitting stores next Tuesday (3/10) will be RCA/RMG's Idol sweetheart Kelly Clarkson, fresh off a hit single that doesn't "Suck," and Def Jam/IDJ R&B crooner The-Dream.

The market was down 7% vs. last week, down 13% vs. same week last year and still down 12% year to date.

Wonder if Bernie Madoff’s renting out that spare room in his penthouse…

Wow, what a bitter article

Idol sweetheart Kelly Clarkson, fresh off a hit single that doesn't "Suck,"

Also, without figures to adjust the 2009 totals to 2004 levels a comparison is meaningless.

Back
Top Bottom