NLOTH Singles Chart Watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But wont the edit of the song be "released" on the 4th of May? at the minute people would have to download the album version of the song, plus we may see an ad campaign once the song is released.

I really don't think an edit will help that much, I mean it's on the radio people are hearing it, not many people have bought the album so you'd think some of them would download it. We'll see how the edit does but I'm not expecting the song to go anywhere in the UK

But the same could be said for any artist, i mean take beyonce for example, people heard halo on the radio etc, but never bought it from her album, they waited until the single was released and it charted in the top 10.

But the same could be said for any artist, i mean take beyonce for example, people heard halo on the radio etc, but never bought it from her album, they waited until the single was released and it charted in the top 10.

But the version of Halo that is selling is the album version, I'll post a picture

halo.jpg

Nearly every download is from the album and the single isn't selling at all really

:up:, it is actually quite possibly that mag wont make the top 40.

I really do hope something that drastic happens, maybe the 250000 people who bought the album will all download the radio edit when it's out. Maybe everyone just wants the cd single, maybe U2 will like...what's that word...promote the single

We need tv ads where someone sings Magnificent. It worked for My Sharona

It'd probably help a lot, I mean ads are what help a lot of songs become hits

The Noisettes got their hit on the back of a Mazda ad
Lady GaGa is all over ads now keeping her single up in the charts
Disney Channel play the videos from the Disney stars all the time and they have 3 songs in the top 40
Franz Ferdinand are top 50 on itunes over an itunes ad
The Knack are top 70 solely on an ad
M.I.A. had a huge hit over being in an ad for a film and being on a soundtrack

Seriously getting a song on tv can be as effective as getting a song on the radio, a lot of people don't listen to the radio at all. Magnificent needs to be in an ad for something

Stay - #72
All I Want Is You - #50 (in 1994, it was included on the Reality Bites soundtrack)
Stuck In A Moment - # 53

Thanks for those additions.

Here is some Hot 100 Airplay(USA) chart history for U2:

song - peak position

With Or Without You - #1(3 weeks)
I Still Haven't Found.... -#1(1 week)
Where The Streets.... - #16
Desire - #5
Angel Of Harlem - #14
All I Want Is You - #50
Mysterious Ways - #11
One - #7
Even Better Than The Real Thing - #43
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - #42
Stay(Far Away, So Close) - #72
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me - #15
Discotheque - #22
Staring At The Sun - #16
Last Night On Earth - #74
Beautiful Day - #19
Stuck In A Moment - #53
Vertigo - #30

With the addition of Stay at #72 to this list, it confirms that NLOTH right now is the first U2 album since at least Unforgettable Fire and more likely October not to have a song place on the HOT 100 AIRPLAY Chart.

why no video for Mag, they wouldnt even have to feature in it. could surely knock something up without too much effort and the exposure would almost certainly lead to extra albums sales revenue that would outweight the cost of making the video.

why no video for Mag, they wouldnt even have to feature in it. could surely knock something up without too much effort and the exposure would almost certainly lead to extra albums sales revenue that would outweight the cost of making the video.

They were recording a video a month ago and apparently it was mostly finished then

Here are the latest US radio numbers for Magnificent updated a couple hours ago for the last week...

Triple A
Holds at #1
590 plays (+22)

Alternative
Up to #18 from 19
856 plays (-57)

Rock
Up to #8 from 10
199 plays (+17)

Hot AC
Up to #24 from 28
663 plays (+60)

Active Rock
Up to #32 from 38
328 plays (+47) :up::up::up:

Still hanging in there. We're starting to see some decline on the Alternative chart but that may be reversed with the actual release of the single and video. We'll see what affect that actually has on # of spins and chart position soon...

Thanks for those additions.

Here is some Hot 100 Airplay(USA) chart history for U2:

song - peak position

With Or Without You - #1(3 weeks)
I Still Haven't Found.... -#1(1 week)
Where The Streets.... - #16
Desire - #5
Angel Of Harlem - #14
All I Want Is You - #50
Mysterious Ways - #11
One - #7
Even Better Than The Real Thing - #43
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - #42
Stay(Far Away, So Close) - #72
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me - #15
Discotheque - #22
Staring At The Sun - #16
Last Night On Earth - #74
Beautiful Day - #19
Stuck In A Moment - #53
Vertigo - #30

With the addition of Stay at #72 to this list, it confirms that NLOTH right now is the first U2 album since at least Unforgettable Fire and more likely October not to have a song place on the HOT 100 AIRPLAY Chart.

I asked this on the last page, but didn't Magnificent chart at 70-something in the Hot 100 on the week of the album release?

Edit: I just checked and it debuted at #79 and fell out the next week. That still counts, right?

What about this "Fred Falke Remix" I keep hearing about?
People are ranting and raving about it.
Anyone hear it yet?
If so, do you think that will help push the song up the charts.

You´re right. Magnificent charted at 79 on the Hot 100 (which combines airplay and downloads), mainly because of downloads, not airplay.

Thanks for the clarification--didn't realize they were different charts.

From Mediabase:
0 4 . 2 8 . 0 9

TW = This Week's Position · LW = Last Week's Position · = Increase in Airplay Over Last Week · = New Song Debut · = Play Snippet
ROCK
TW LW ARTIST Song Title Record Label Radio Spins
1 3 PAPA ROACH Lifeline DGC/Interscope 373
2 1 SHINEDOWN Second Chance Atlantic 353
3 6 THEORY OF A DEADMAN Hate My Life Atlantic/Roadrunner/RRP 314
4 5 PEARL JAM Brother Epic 301
5 4 METALLICA Cyanide Warner Bros. 300
6 2 NICKELBACK Something In Your Mouth Atlantic/Roadrunner/RRP 292
7 7 SEETHER Careless Whisper Wind-up 237
8 10 U2 Magnificent Interscope 199
9 19 GREEN DAY Know Your Enemy Reprise 185
10 9 THEORY OF A DEADMAN Bad Girlfriend Atlantic/Roadrunner/RRP 179
11 13 SHINEDOWN Sound Of Madness Atlantic 172

I must say I have to strongly disagree with you. The remix completely misses the mark of why Magnificent is so catchy...THE GUITAR!!! This Fred Falke character has muted all the guitar parts in the song. What a stupid move. If he had kept Edge's chiming guitar and included it throughout the track then I would have to say it would have been one of the best U2 remixes in years. Instead it left me with a dull feeling. Can't believe a so called "pro"like him would make such a horrible mistake. Damn, wish it was better.

P.S. It amounts to someone remixing "New Years Day" and muting all the piano parts!!!

I must say I have to strongly disagree with you. The remix completely misses the mark of why Magnificent is so catchy...THE GUITAR!!! This Fred Falke character has muted all the guitar parts in the song. What a stupid move. If he had kept Edge's chiming guitar and included it throughout the track then I would have to say it would have been one of the best U2 remixes in years. Instead it left me with a dull feeling. Can't believe a so called "pro"like him would make such a horrible mistake. Damn, wish it was better.

P.S. It amounts to someone remixing "New Years Day" and muting all the piano parts!!!

I'm going to have to agree here...however, I do really like the Redanka Remix, it keeps the guitar!

Top 100 Hits on-line in the U.S. has updated:

Magnificent up from 35 to 33 after 3 weeks of huge chart advances
Boots down from 40 to 52 in it's 12 week on the chart, where it peaked at 18

Radio and Records has updated, too, and this should mirror BB airplay charts tomorrow:

Triple A
Magnificent is now in it's 6th week at #2 but with a large increase in plays again. Conversely, on mediabase and mediaguide, Magnificent ran 5-7 weeks at #1 on this chart. Splitting hairs, really, as it's the result of how many/which stations were surveyed.

Active Rock
Magnificent moves from 37 to 32, aligning it's position with other Active Rock charts.

Alternative
Magnificent up from 20 to 19 but spins decreased

Hot AC/Adult Top 40
Magnificent holds it's spot at 23 w/increase in spins

Rock
Magnificent up from 14 to 12 w/increase in spins (#5 ranked song for increased spins)

Canadian Rock
Magnificent slips 1 spot from 5 to 6 w/tiny decrease in spins

So, in summary, Magnificent looks to have peaked on the Alternative charts. It has appeared to have peaked on Triple A...and really on all charts...two weeks ago, but it resumed a steady rise in airplay after that brief stall. To advance further up the charts, though, the upcoming single release must have som promotion. The video is overdue as well...and while MTV may not matter anymore, the chart called "Top 100 hits online" is often influenced by internet video streams. The promotion, up until now, for Magnificent has been non-existent. Not anything new to anyone on this forum, though.

Just doesn't make any sense at all. Should write up a petition to Principal management demanding some sort of promotion for this album/song!

But they've been this way the last 3 albums now. Promote a ton when the album comes out, especially the 1st single (except for Boots, not much there this time)....then just release singles and move on.

It's almost like u2 just doesn't care. We're one week away from the single being released right? yet we don't have a video, or any form of official announcement.

Just doesn't make any sense at all. Should write up a petition to Principal management demanding some sort of promotion for this album/song!

But they've been this way the last 3 albums now. Promote a ton when the album comes out, especially the 1st single (except for Boots, not much there this time)....then just release singles and move on.

It's almost like u2 just doesn't care. We're one week away from the single being released right? yet we don't have a video, or any form of official announcement.

I think they care, but with U2 the music speaks for itself...we need the chart success more than they do....Johnny Cash didn't need radio to be legendary...neither does U2.

30 spots in a day at those positions is probably 5 extra downloads.
what do the record sales side of principle management actually do? (doesnt appear to be much)

I think they care, but with U2 the music speaks for itself...we need the chart success more than they do....Johnny Cash didn't need radio to be legendary...neither does U2.

U2 has always been about the hits. Even in their "alternative" phase of the 90's they still wanted the #1s. Otherwise, they'd put out a lot more albums :)

I know "we" want them to be successful, and that's natural, but I do get a bit annoyed with the group (mainly Bono...gasp!) when he comes out saying we want to rock the charts with these new groups and be relevant.....

Only to disappear as soon as the first single is done. I personally don't like overexposure, but I do think some promotion is nice.

I agree that U2 has let their music speak for itself, and it doesn't get played anymore outside of Europe. The US isn't the be all end all of music, but unfortunately a lot of people that live here do think that's the case. I don't know how many times I've discussed why U2 is bigger than Black Eyed Peas, but that's the way a lot of people see it. They are popular in the US, U2 is not.

U2 has always been about the hits. Even in their "alternative" phase of the 90's they still wanted the #1s. Otherwise, they'd put out a lot more albums :)

I know "we" want them to be successful, and that's natural, but I do get a bit annoyed with the group (mainly Bono...gasp!) when he comes out saying we want to rock the charts with these new groups and be relevant.....

Only to disappear as soon as the first single is done. I personally don't like overexposure, but I do think some promotion is nice.

I agree that U2 has let their music speak for itself, and it doesn't get played anymore outside of Europe. The US isn't the be all end all of music, but unfortunately a lot of people that live here do think that's the case. I don't know how many times I've discussed why U2 is bigger than Black Eyed Peas, but that's the way a lot of people see it. They are popular in the US, U2 is not.

I understand what you are saying....I want U2 to have the number one hits also...they far deserve it over the other bands, rappers or "singers" that have that "title". But, in the U.S., it takes one glance at the charts to see what people are into, which is sad. Here and there, there is a glimmer of hope, but since U2 is not a surface band, it is harder for them to succeed on the pop charts in the U.S.
As far as the promotion, it seems like U2 has always had this type of approach. My thinking as to why they do this is because they are a "world" band and their obligations to the music extend far beyond than just the U.S. I am glad they are the world's biggest band and not just the USA's biggest band. I think that is more important anyway in the long run.
But, I still have hope for Magnificent :)

Back
Top Bottom