NLOTH Singles Chart Watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Top 100 Hits online:

Boots up 1 spot to #18 in it's 6th week.

Chart is the average of 393 online music charts; uses a point system to determine positions. The #1 song is "My life would suck without you" by Kelly Clarkston (or is it just "My songs do suck without doubt"?) , so as you can see, there is no format split-out for this online chart.

Originally written by beLIEve:

"My life would suck without you" by Kelly Clarkston (or is it just "My songs do suck without doubt"?) :D:D:D

As expected, Magnificent has fallen out of the BB Hot 100. I think it will be back, however, on the strength of airplay. Downloads/sales have peaked, IMO.

Not a chance in my opinion, the downloads were really low overall and just people who saw the album on itunes and listened to the 30 second samples and downloaded the song on the strength of that. if so many people are willing to download based on 30 seconds, surely a lot more will download based on high airplay

MEDIABASE UPDATED THRU MARCH 24

Adult Rock; AAA Top 50
Magnifent holds at #3 w/increase in plays
Crazy holds at 35
Boots slips to 38

Hot AC Top 50
Magnificent debuts at 39!
Boots slides to 47

Active Rock Top 50
Magnificent up 5 to 43

Alternative
Magnificent up 7 to 23

Mainstream Rock Top 50
Magnificent up from 22 to 18
Boots down 3 to 22

Canada Active Rock Top 50
Boots at 11
Magnificent debuts at 33

Canada Alternative Rock Top 50
Boots decreasing at #37
Magnificent increasing at #39

For the most part, Magnificent continues to rise up the U.S. charts while Boots falls off the charts. Magnificent faces stiffer competition as it climbs higher, as singles from Coldplay, Fray, Snow Patrol, KOL, etc., now seem to compete with U2...not just "get out of the way" as a U2 single climbs straight to the top on the formats where they usually do well. It will be interesting to see if Magnificent can at least Top Adult Rock and Alternative Rock formats. I am still hoping it can do more than that, and it's debut on the Hot AC chart bodes well for it's overall chart performance.

MEDIABASE UPDATED THRU MARCH 24

Adult Rock; AAA Top 50
Magnifent holds at #3 w/increase in plays
Crazy holds at 35
Boots slips to 38

Hot AC Top 50
Magnificent debuts at 39!
Boots slides to 47

Active Rock Top 50
Magnificent up 5 to 43

Alternative
Magnificent up 7 to 23

Mainstream Rock Top 50
Magnificent up from 22 to 18
Boots down 3 to 22

:applaud: That looks great

Top Hits online updated today (Top 100 songs played on the net) and through March 21, Boots climbs two more spots to #16. A bit odd, as Flo Rida is the Top song, and many other songs on this chart look like Billboards Hot 100. In looking at the source data, though, it includes video streams. Sure enough, Boots is in the Top 10 on Fuse TV's weekly video countdown and up from 21 to 16 on MTV2's Video Music countdown. TV plays don't count, but anytime someone visits either website, the "weekly countdown" for videos is either streaming or a click away. Just a guess on why Boots is doing so well on that chart, which does link to Billboard's Interenet chart section.

On another topic, MediaGUIDE's website only shows the Top 10 on each format, but there are also PDF files available that are much more detailed, including Top 20 playlists from hundreds of radio stations across the U.S. I don't know the source website...if you search on mediaguide pdf charts, you will get a scattering of the current PDF files, by formats, showing up on your results.

Active Rock was interesting...it showed some stations still increasing Boots...while others were ramping up Magnificent as well. Other stations within the format had neither song at all. Same for Alternative, but U2 showed up on more stations. Triple A stations mostly had U2 songs from NLOTH on their playlists. Also, their is a chart for "Album cuts" for both Alternative and Triple A I found, which had NLOTH ranked #1 on both formats. Measures radio stations that play album tracks only.

Finally, the prospects for Magnificent to cross over to Hot AC are looking better and better, as it's already much higher than where Boots peaked on that format after 9 weeks...and Magnificent is in it's 2nd week on that chart. As I've said before, if it cracks the Top 10 on that format, as Coldplay has done recently, then that will easily get the song back into the BB Hot 100 on airplay alone. Especially if it's also at the Top of the Rock/Alternative charts at same time. If that does lead to an increase in downloads, as someone else suggested, it could be U2's biggest hit in the States in quite some time. Just wish it was the lead single with an I-pod commercial...what could have been...

Billboard charts for April 4 edition:

Pop 100
Boots slips to 98

Triple A
Magnificent stays at 3 w/increase in plays

Modern Rock/Alternative
Magnificent up from 30 to 22

Mainstream Rock
Magnificent up from 40 to 38

Hot Adult Top 40 (Hot AC on Radio and Records)
Magnificent debuts at #36

Canadian Hot 100
Boots still going at #70

Japan Hot 100
Boots down 1 to #20

Top 25 Music Videos
Boots climbs back up to #5...where it peaked, seemingly, 4 weeks ago. It is a pretty good video, though.

I guess since Magnificent won't be "technically" released until May 1, that might explain why it's not really doing much in countries outside the U.S. I wish U2 would just get the video released and the single released and do some promotion...as I really would hate to see the song run out of steam here in the U.S. At the rate U2 is racking up concert ticket sales, however, they may not really care about how a single does on the U.S. charts.

One last chart...Boots manages to spend it's 5th straight week in the Euro Top 100 Singles chart, and 4th straight in the Top 40...sneaking in at 39 this week.

Here is a Mediabase USA radio chart update for Magnificent as of the middle of this week:

Alternative: #20 (up 4 spots from this time last week, still increasing in plays a lot)

Triple A: #3 (same spot as this time last week but is still increasing in plays)

Rock: #16 (up 3 spots from this time last week)

Hot AC: #38 (up 1 spot from this time last week but still increasing in plays quite a bit)

So for someone who doesnt really understand the american singles chart, is magnificent doing pretty well?

I disagree. The Hot 100 is very important, for sure, but due to the fragmented nature of American radio, a song can get a considerable amount of airplay on one or more charts/formats, but still not do well on the hot 100. In order to really do well on the Hot 100, a song has to either get a lot of airplay on many different radio formats, or do really well on the top 40/pop format. And some decent downloads will boost the song even higher.

The problem here is that U2 doesn't sound anything like 95% of the music/artists that get all the airplay on the pop stations. Most pop stations only play teen pop/ hip hop/ slut pop (i.e. lots of Britney Spears, Justin Tmiberlake, Miley Cyrus, Flo Rida, 50 Cent, etc). Because of that, the best U2 can hope for is a lot of airplay on the various rock formats....meaning that most U2 singles will never do that well on that Hot 100 because all of the airplay on the various rock formats still doesn't equal the amount of airplay the pop format can give it's top songs. For example, if U2 has a single get a lot of airplay across all rock formats, their song might get around 3k-4k total plays per week, whereas a song that dominates the top 40/pop chart will have around 10k-12k plays per week because there are so many more pop stations around the USA than there are rock stations.

That being said, if U2 can get another single from this album to do really well on the rock formats, that will still get them on to the Hot 100 chart, and probably in the top 50 somewhere, similar to what Vertigo did. But it will take a lot of airplay on all rock formats and the Hot AC format to do that. A song doesn't have to be really high on the Hot 100 to be considered strong success. Vertigo and Beautiful day are both huge hits for U2 and they did not break the top 20 on the Hot 100. Simply put, any song that gets played a lot on radio will be considered a big hit for U2, no matter how it does on the Hot 100.

the only chart that matters is the Hot 100, and Magnificent is not on it.

Yah I don't agree with this either. The major constituencies of radio listeners who are going to go out and actually buy a U2 album these days are not listening to top 40 or rythmic radio formats. They are listening to Adult Rock, Rock, Alternative, and Hot AC format. Magnificent is picking up steam on all of those formats and if it continues to rise, I think that means good things for this album hanging around for a long time. With the state of the music industry right now, NLOTH is obviously not going to sell at HTDAAB levels, but it could end up with solid numbers if the radio airplay stays strong in those stations that potential U2 buyers are listening to.

So the specific formats actually matter more than the Billboard Hot 100 position IMO.

What I don't get is why all the attention is focussed on the number of plays. You can also see the audience ranking and audience numbers on those R&R charts and they can be different, even the #1 and #2 are reversed on the Triple A chart. That ranking seems much more important to me. Boots for example is 29 on the Rock chart, but 25 for audience. With only 165.000 listeners :(

up from 65 to 20 (in another chart from M&D is up to 19)...good!

on mediatraffic.de GOYB up to 38!
chart run top 40 tracks: 31-38-40-40-28-24*-26-40-38

I could see a Magnificent iPod commercial, but I guess with the "falling out" between U2 and Apple, that will probably not happen :down:

UsaToday has the updated mediabase airplay charts but it reveals only the top 30 of each format. According to this update, Magnificent moves from #3 up to #2 on triple A, and from #23 up to #19 on Alternative Rock format.
You can find the whole list here : USA TODAY airplay charts as compiled by Mediabase - USATODAY.com

Hmmm. Still looks like it's moving up :up::up::up:

I'd be interested to know how much it moved up on Hot AC this week...

Hmmm. Still looks like it's moving up :up::up::up:

I'd be interested to know how much it moved up on Hot AC this week...

Magnificent is up only 2 spots on Hot AC...from 39 to 37. However, it still gained A LOT of airplay and new stations, so it may still have a long way to go on this chart.

Per MediaGUIDE, Magnificent has already reached #1 on Triple A, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that verified by Radio and Records/Billboard tomorrow/Thursday.

It's interesting to look at the markets and stations that are playing U2. For example, Active/Hard Rock stations in the Northeast, especially Boston, have Magnificent high in the rotation, along with Boots. One station even has Stand Up Comedy in it's Top 5, slightly ahead of Magnificent. Other parts of the country have no U2 songs at all in their rotation on Active Rock. On Alternative Radio, Magnificent passed Coldplay's new single to break into the Top 20. This is all per Mediabase, which has to be one of the more comprehensive charts, as they list all the radio station playlists for each format in the Top 100 Markets across the U.S.

UsaToday has the updated mediabase airplay charts but it reveals only the top 30 of each format. According to this update, Magnificent moves from #3 up to #2 on triple A, and from #23 up to #19 on Alternative Rock format.
You can find the whole list here : USA TODAY airplay charts as compiled by Mediabase - USATODAY.com

for the love of.....

why are there soooo many charts? It seems like (from what i have read here and there, and tried to interpret) there is a chart for songs trying to get into the charts. And then a chart for songs that are going to rise up to better charts, its like airplanes in a holding pattern that cannot land until the one stubborn bastard finally takes off and gets out of their way.

i don;t understand. Magnificient debuted in Netherlands at number 23. Previous single was also not a success.

While Beautiful Day, Elevation, Vertigo, Window in the Skies and The Saints and I thought also Sometimes ALL reached number 1 here .... ?

i don;t understand. Magnificient debuted in Netherlands at number 23. Previous single was also not a success.

While Beautiful Day, Elevation, Vertigo, Window in the Skies and The Saints and I thought also Sometimes ALL reached number 1 here .... ?

It might have to do with the fact that there is no physical single yet, only downloads, whereas those older singles would have included sales of physical copies as well. Magnificent, the physical single, isn't out until May 1st, right? We still haven't heard of what the B-sides are yet.

Back
Top Bottom