N.A. Radio Play by Format, Billboard, & Video charts for Week 25

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
any reason for this HUGE decrease of HTDAAB on Billboard?

seems to me that 'sometimes' has done Very Well, yet hasnt helped album sales. will HTDAAB get back into the BB top 50?

I have also heard it said that U2 is the most pirated band, but only from people at this U2 site. What basis do we have for saying one band is pirated more than another?

ybird3k said:
any reason for this HUGE decrease of HTDAAB on Billboard?

seems to me that 'sometimes' has done Very Well, yet hasnt helped album sales. will HTDAAB get back into the BB top 50?

I don't think "Sometimes" has done very well despite what some of the non-billboard charts say. While the HOT 100 is now a bit distorted with downloads being counted for a lot of the points to determine chart position, the Billboard HOT 100 AIRPLAY chart which list the top 75 played songs in the USA is free of all that. I do not believe "Sometimes" ever cracked that chart.

A truely successful single would bring album sales back into the top 30 or even 20 of the album chart. Right now it appears the only thing holding the album up is the tour here in the USA. Look for a bounce though next week from the "Good Morning America" show.

I also do not feel "video play" is a very big factor here in the USA. Most people would normally be able to see video's during the week from 3 pm to 11 pm. During those times, MTV and VH1 almost never play any videos. MTV2 plays 75% HIP HOP and rap vids and then 25% Rock vids. That is the new break down from MTV2 according to MTV2. I'm not sure if "Sometimes is considered a "Rock Video" by their standards.

2Hearts said:
I have also heard it said that U2 is the most pirated band, but only from people at this U2 site. What basis do we have for saying one band is pirated more than another?

Because they are one of the most popular bends today.It is simple:HTDAAB officialy sold about 8 milion copies in 6 months and I think only band who sold their new CD more than U2 is Green Day.And that's about all pirates care about,popularity of the band.J-Lo's new CD is not going to be pirated because there is no demand for it,but new Eminem CD is.
Bands like Led Zep,Stones are pirated on only one level,greatest hits level because they are not making relevant music any longer.But U2 who still have "hot stuff"to offer and great amount of previous albums and hits will suffer on both.
That is my point, but if anyone can find official numbers I will be glad to read it

Sometimes was a format hit at best

STING2 said:

I don't think "Sometimes" has done very well despite what some of the non-billboard charts say. While the HOT 100 is now a bit distorted with downloads being counted for a lot of the points to determine chart position, the Billboard HOT 100 AIRPLAY chart which list the top 75 played songs in the USA is free of all that. I do not believe "Sometimes" ever cracked that chart.

A truely successful single would bring album sales back into the top 30 or even 20 of the album chart. Right now it appears the only thing holding the album up is the tour here in the USA. Look for a bounce though next week from the "Good Morning America" show.

I also do not feel "video play" is a very big factor here in the USA. Most people would normally be able to see video's during the week from 3 pm to 11 pm. During those times, MTV and VH1 almost never play any videos. MTV2 plays 75% HIP HOP and rap vids and then 25% Rock vids. That is the new break down from MTV2 according to MTV2. I'm not sure if "Sometimes is considered a "Rock Video" by their standards.

Besides piracy and illegal downloading, I agree that Sometimes never broke through across all of radio. It was a hit on the Hot AC and Triple A formats, sure, but look at Green Day's Boulevard. It was number 1 on just about all radio formats where it was played, and it gave them a big push. U2 is still riding the back of Vertigo, IMO, and w/o another hit the album will stall/drop. In fact, there is no reason for a BB thread this week:

Sometimes is at 17 on the Adult Top 40, at 100 on the Pop 100, and HTDAAB is 25 on the Top Internet Albums Sales chart. B/O 1980's hangs on the Pop Catalog chart at 29.

"Sometimes..." performed weaker than I thought. Given the topic, given the slowness of the song, and given that it's U2, I figured we'd at least see "Stuck..." type numbers. But that never happened, which is surprising.

It's clear that U2 needed to do a big push for that song - and they didn't, at least not in the U.S. In the U.K., the song hit #1 (where CD singles still sell very well). That was great promotion for the song and album. But in the U.S., little was done. Yes, U2 played the song on TV a few times - that may have been the extra oomph it needed to get it into the Hot 100 at least. But they needed to do more. Why not advertise on iTunes? Why not have another banner advertising U2's next song (like they did with "Vertigo")? Then, as a freebie, thrown in a "Vertigo" remix with the download of "Sometimes...". Some sort of promotion like that would have helped the song on all charts. But no...

Given that U2's or Universal's marketing crew completely ignored ABoY and really screwed up "Sometimes..." I feel that this album is "done". It'll linger on the charts thanks to the tour, perhaps having a token spike here or there, but that's it. Unless U2's or Universal's marketing department actuallY DO something (how and why do these people get paid?), this album won't be a hit again. "City..." is the next single. If U2 really wants this album back in the Top 40, they had better do something to attract attention to both the song and the album, otherwise that's it.

Selling 3M copies is fantastic. It's EXTRA fantastic when one factors in the illegal downloading present in today's world. It's just that this album could've done so much more if marketed the right way.

Sometimes was a hit in Canada and in parts of the R.O.W.

On the other hand, Sometimes was an international hit, and it is still a hit in Canada and a few other countries. It is at #4 on Canada's Top 100 airplay chart (by Billboard), and U2 still has 5 of the Top 15 songs in the Singles sales chart. As a result, partly, HTDAAB is at 29 on the Top 50 Albums chart (also compiled by BB).

Can you imagine what Sometimes could have done for the album had it hit #4 on the BB Hot 100 Airplay charts in the U.S.?

The reason I mention videos so much is that in the U.S., w/o any commercial release of a single, it's almost like they choose to let their singles start off as videos, and then hope for the best on airplay. I remember when VH1 debuted Sometimes, and it was the "video of the week", played 52 times. The song wasn't even on radio at the time.

I really don't see COBL doing better, unless it breaks through to the top on Modern Rock AND Adult Top 40...and that's what Sometimes couldn't do - when Modern Rock dumped the song it's brief run on the BB Hot 100 was over.

The commercial singles available on CD for COBL...why not make them available for something like $1.99 to download? I've heard Speed of Sound and it's OK, but honestly, it's no better than any of the three singles released by U2 in N.A. It had so many downloads that it debuted on the BB Hot 100 at #8. It was behind Sometimes on the radio on all formats at that time. It's dropped to 30 now on the Hot 100, but it created a buzz about the song, and now it's rising pretty fast on radio. I don't think it will ever return to the BB Top 10, but it will hang around on the BB Hot 100 and get enough radio play to make it even rise again at some point.

Granted, Speed of Sound, like Vertigo, was a lead single made available before the album. We all know the BB Hot 100 changed a lot when it started counting downloads, and that Vertigo could have charted much higher, but honestly, the song did it's job, as it was a hit across all of the radio formats it was played on. Throw in the I-pod thing and a decent video and 3 grammies...they got a lot of mileage out of the song. After seeing a show in Chicago, I'm surpised at the energy generated by Vertigo AND ABOY. In fact, U2 has played 7-9 songs of off HTDAAB on most shows, and most of them come off very good live, and the crowd knows them. So, regardless of chart positions and album sales, since "Live is where they live", this album is very good for the tour.

If U2 would have released Sometimes globally at the same time, it would have climbed even higher than #9 on the Global Singles chart, too. In fact, it might have hit #1. Then ABOY could have been release in April with the MTV live thing and it would have done well globally. Just my opinion, but U2's singles strategy sucks, especially in the U.S.

As for U2 being the most pirated band, I read plenty of stuff about this when the illegal downloading was in the news all the time. U2's indifference (relative) to the issue got them some negative comments from other artists...I remember it clearly, when Metallica and several other bands formed some sort of effort to stop downloading, U2 was criticized for not taking a stronger stand on the issue, and several sources questioned why since the general data showed U2 was THE most pirated band in terms of illegal downloads. U2 was accused of already having made it so big that they didn't really care about downloading, which hurt newer artists. Bono then made some public comments about the issue, saying something like "we've always been flattered that people make bootlegs of our shows, but if we find out you're illegally downloading our music, we're coming to your house to find you...". Also, I've always thought that in addition to being smart with the initial HTDAAB marketing using I-pod, that U2 also did that to help the music industry find a way to make downloading easy and legal. Coldplay can thank U2 for their Top 10 hit, IMO.

Sorry for rambling on...at this point it probably makes no difference to U2 if HTDAAB sells 12M or 15M or ???, as it's been generally well-received critically and commercially, and the tour is a smash hit despite what some critic in Chicago thinks. Part of Pop's commercial failure had to due with the rough start to the tour as well as the album, and it wasn't really considered a failure outside the U.S. Now that's all behind them, though, with two Best Of's introducing their music to a whole new generation, and two well received studio albums to boot. They are by far the biggest band in the world, and have been since 1987.

I have to agree with the above posts that U2's marketing really dropped the ball with SYCMIOYO in the US. SYCMIOYO could've been U2's next "One." Instead the song barely made a dent in the Hot 100. Why wasn't SYCMIOYO available for download? Why not a limited edition single available at Tower Records or some other vendor?

Don't get me wrong. I'm very happy that U2 had alot of success with this single in other parts of the world. I just wish that U2's marketing would take their US singles a bit more seriously. I have to agree with Doctor Who that HTDAAB is done if COBL is not pushed hard onto US radio and available for download.

COBL isnt going to be available to download or given any marketing at all IMO. i dont think it will get into the BB Hot 100.

I hope I'm Wrong !!

Video charts for the week:

MTV Sometimes back up one spot to 9
VH1 Sometimes at 19 (re-entry)
Much Music Sometimes up one spot to 7
MM Music Sometime up from 4 to 2

I know videos don't matter as much as they used to, but the High School & College fanbase does still watch these channels, and any College student or person who watches from 12:00 AM through about 11:00 AM has seen Sometimes A LOT. Since U2 seems to launch singles in the U.S. by first releasing a video, I hope COBL is a great video and that it's the full length version, which I assume it will be since it's a live concert version.

STING2 said:

That list of worldwide album sales figures was riddled with all kinds of incorrect figures plus figures that were not included. One of the incorrect figures was the Backstreet Boys with their MILLENNIUM album.

Lets remember that 70% of all albums sold on the planet are sold in the United States and Europe. The RIAA and IFPI cover these area's and it is easy to get an accurate estimate on the total sales of any album released since 1994 thanks to the start of the IFPI. By extrapolating the European figure for the remaining 30% of the world, plus adding the RIAA figure, one can arrive at a slightly overestimated figure for the total sales of any album. Inflated record label figures or lists without facts backing them up are not needed when it is easy enough to find out at a minimum 70% of the exact sales(shippments) of the album.

So for the Backstreet Boys we have:

Backstreet Boys (14 million USA; 3 million Europe; 3 million ROW)

TOTAL: 20 million worldwide

Backstreets Back (5 million Europe; 5 million ROW)

TOTAL: 10 million worldwide

MILLENNIUM (13 million USA; 2 million Europe; 2 million ROW)

TOTAL: 17 million worldwide

BLACK & BLUE (8 million USA: under 1m Europe; under 1m ROW)

TOTAL: 9 million worldwide

THE HITS- CHAPTER ONE (1 million USA; 1 million Europe; 1m ROW)

TOTAL: 3 million worldwide

TOTAL album sales worldwide: 59 million

That brings their total since 1997 to 59 million, and that figure is indeed a little higher than what the actual figure is since what an album sells in Europe on average will be higher than the figure for ROW.

There is no way in hell that MILLENNIUM sold 30 million copies with only 2 million in sales in Europe. Saying that sold 2 million in the ROW is probably to high.

Even worse is the figure for Backstreets Back, and album that was not released in the USA and only sold 5 million in Europe, yet the record label or someone else claims 25 million in sales? Virtually impossible. 10 million is an overestimate.

Black & Blue flopped overseas and was unable to even reach the 1 million mark in Europe. In addition, despite shipping initially in the first few weeks, 8 million copies in the USA, Soundscan shows the album only sold 5.5 million to date. I've never seen an album where retailers over ordered so many copies. Unless they made a large enough profit on the 5.5 million they did sell, retailers lost money on this album.

I hate to go on about the Backstreet Boys again but I couldn't help but notice that this months Blender magazine says the Backstreet Boys have sold 75M albums worldwide. So, if this IS correct they surely must have sold at least 65-70M albums since 1997. Right?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom