N.A. Radio Play by Format, Billboard, & Video charts for Week 23

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beLIEve

Refugee
Radio Play shows Sometimes moving down a few spots on some charts and up a few spots on others...the song has peaked, though. Here's the charts that have already updated this week:

mediabase.com:

Hot AC
Sometimes falls one spot to 17 with decreasing plays

Rock
Sometimes rises one spot to 23 w/o increasing plays

Triple AAA
Sometimes is LOVED on this format, as it dropped to as low as 3 behind Dave Matthews American Baby and Coldplay's Speed of Sound. This format is updated daily with a 7 day running total. Today, is rises 2 spots to reclaim it's position at #1 w/bullet.

MGB Top 40 (Midwest radio play)

TW LW 2W Single by Artist {Weeks Top 40, Top 10, @ #1} Peak
30. --- --- We Belong Together - Mariah Carey {debut} #30
29. 28. 18. It's Like That - Mariah Carey {13, 2} #9
28. 35. --- Baby I'm Back - Baby Bash {2} #28
27. 11. 7. Rich Girl - Gwen Stefani f/Eve {19, 11} #3
26. 29. 31. Sometimes You Can't Make It... - U2 {5} #26
25. --- --- Incomplete - Backstreet Boys {2} #25
24. 30. 30. Behind These Hazel Eyes - Kelly Clarkson {4} #24
23. 23. 29. Scars - Papa Roach {6} #23
22. 26. 20. Disco Inferno - 50 Cent {17, 3} #8

Like the American Music Charts, this is very much a "Pop/Mainstream" radio chart, and U2 has risen 14 spots, steadily, in the 5 weeks it's been on this chart. Sometimes is still a regional and format radio hit!

Mediaguide.com has updated their radio play charts. Records and Radio is definitely the most thorough and accurate radio play chart(s), but this one is better than mediabase.

AC
Sometimes holds at #44 w/bullet

College Singles
Sometimes falls 11 to 88

Hot AC
Sometimes holds steady at #20
Vertigos slips 3 to 42

Mainstream Rock
Vertigo up two spots to 34
ABOY down 7 spots to 42
Sometimes down 1 spot to 46

Triple A
Sometimes rises from 3 to 2 w/bullet

National 100 (total album tracks played)
HTDAAB slips to 49 with 6221 plays
(Reference point: Green Day falls to #3 but with 20,222 plays)

Net Music Countdown

Alternative:
Sometimes holds at #8

Hot AC
Sometimes down 6 to #10

Album Sales
HTDAAB down 1 to #6

HTDAAB free falls out of the Top 25 at Amazon.com for the first time. The rest of the back catalog has drifted way back...the tour did it's job while in California and the rest of the West. After this week's disappearance from the States and "mini-break", U2 will finish strong in May on the tour, hitting major markets from Chicago to the Northeast. I think we'll see a small bounce in total sales after next week.

Sometimes is hanging in their as a modest radio hit, but I do hope COBL hits the radio and video channels before June 13. Again, I don't think this song is the ideal single, but it is certainly popular on this site. I would think Miracle Drug, OOTS, and even A man and a woman have more potential. I hope U2 releases 7-8 singles from this album, and with a tour lasting another 12 months potentially, this just may happen.

Records and Radio updates airplay charts...

Records and Radio just updated their radio play charts by format for the U.S. and Canada. First, on the Canadian Top 100 (Airplay only), Sometimes rises another spot to #4 this week.

U.S. Records and Radio:

Pop Format
Sometimes rises to #49 with a bullet

Hot AC
Sometimes falls to 17 but w/increased plays (passed by Mr. Brightside)

Rock
Sometimes maintains plays and moves up two spots to #26

Alternative
Sometimes falls from 38 to 50

Triple A
Sometimes rises back to #1 with a bullet
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Canada Records and Radio:

Hot AC
Sometimes jumps 2 spots to #4

Rock
Sometimes stays at #10 but has 4th biggest increase in plays

AC
Sometimes up two spots to #21 with a bullet
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes has now passed ABOY in total radio plays in North America, and I expect that it will widen that gap over the next several weeks. It also did better than ABOY did on Video charts in the U.S., and it's still rising up the American Radio Chart and the Pop/Mainstream Radio Chart. Regardless of Billboard, Sometimes will probably hang around radio long enough to make a smooth transition into COBL. The problem is that U2 needs a smash hit if album sales are going to increase...and I'll be very surprised if the radio edit of COBL is a smash hit in the U.S. It should do well in the R.O.W., though, as it's a CD/DVD for sale with live footage and songs.

American Radio Chart

The ARC has just updated

TW LW 2W Song Artist Weeks on Chart Peak
23 21 15 Lonely No More Rob Thomas 13 7
22 24 27 Sometimes You Can't Make U2 7 22
21 14 14 Hold You Down Jennifer Lopez featuring Fat Joe 11 14
20 25 32 Don't Phunk With My Heart Black Eyed Peas 4 20
19 20 23 Scars Papa Roach 8 19
18 19 21 Chariot Gavin DeGraw 8 18
17 18 20 Collide Howie Day 8 17
16 9 6 Boulevard Of Broken Dreams Green Day 21 1(3)

Coldplay is doing OK at #34 with "Speed of Sound". Shows you what 40,000 downloads can do for you on the BB charts in an extremely weak singles market.

Billboard for U.S. and Canada

Wow, what a drop for HTDAAB. Here are the BB numbers.

BB Top 200
HTDAAB drops 13 spots from 44 to 57 (8 new entries above it)

BB Pop Catalog
Best of 1980-1990 falls 3 to 19 (#185 overall)
Joshua Tree out of Top 50

Adult Top 40
Sometimes slides 1 to #17 w/increased airplay

Coldplay's Speed of Sound drops to 14 on Hot 100 after big decrease in downloads but still enough to keep it at #2 on digital tracks. American Baby, by Dave Matthews, is the download winner this week, and they enter the BB Hot 100 at 19. I'm more sure than ever that U2 had a #1 hit with Vertigo now, as the song climbed to 31 on airplay alone, while Coldplay and Dave Matthews are entering the BB charts in the Top 20 as soon as they top the download charts. At least Gwen Stefani was up to #10 on airplay only when downloads shot her to #1.

Canada BB Singles Chart

TW LW 2W Weeks on Chart Song Artist
2 1 1 4 Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, U2
3 2 2 12 All Because Of You, U2
4 3 3 26 My Boo, Usher And Alicia Keys
5 6 5 25 Vertigo (3 Track Single), U2
6 10 8 23 Vertigo (2 Track Single), U2

So Canada has 4 of the top 6 singles in the BB Singles chart

Canada Albums Chart

HTDAAB rises from 24 to 21 w/bullet

Re: Billboard for U.S. and Canada

beLIEve said:
Wow, what a drop for HTDAAB. Here are the BB numbers.

BB Top 200
HTDAAB drops 13 spots from 44 to 57 (8 new entries above it)

Do you know how many copies has sold this week?
Thanks!!!

Re: Re: Billboard for U.S. and Canada

VALE69 said:

Do you know how many copies has sold this week?
Thanks!!!

My guess is 16,900, but that's just based on knowing the #46 album sold 20,000 copies. I may be a little low, but we'll see what Soldatti posts...

#57 in Bb is the worst result of the bomb since the release in november 2004.After 23 weeks...not too bad...(they went out top 50 only a week at 54...)
But for you it's only the break of the tour or other?
Believe,it is possible to know if Vertigo with the downloads could go in top 10 of Bb singles?Thnx!

In my opinion this week U2's Bomb 'll go at 24 in World chart...

Vertigo would have hit #1

Tallarico said:
#57 in Bb is the worst result of the bomb since the release in november 2004.After 23 weeks...not too bad...(they went out top 50 only a week at 54...)
But for you it's only the break of the tour or other?
Believe,it is possible to know if Vertigo with the downloads could go in top 10 of Bb singles?Thnx!

In my opinion this week U2's Bomb 'll go at 24 in World chart...

If today's system used to rank singles on the BB Hot 100 was in place last fall, Vertigo would have hit #1 on the charts. Vertigo was the most downloaded song of 2004. Downloads are being counted as CD single sales, which is a VERY weak market. However, we've seen how Coldplay can hit #8 on the Hot 100 on the strength of 40,000+ first week downloads. U2 had the download market for a while there with the I-Pod thing.

As for HTDAAB, I expected a drop this week since the tour has left the West Coast and we've got this week where they are taking a break, so it may drop again next week. Then, U2 plays heavy from May 7 through the end of the month is some major markets, and then I think we'll see a slight bounce. COBL will have to do very well to just maintain sales in the U.S. The album will come to life again in the U.S. next fall with the 3rd leg, another single, and Grammy nominations. U2 are the Grammy darlings of late, so even with the competition heating up, I believe they will collect several nominations and pick up a major award. That will likely be the last album bounce. I also think U2 will release a new album late this year or in 2006...maybe an EP...ala Zooropa, as they have plans to tour well into 2006 and this is setting up to be a AB/Zooropa repeat, IMO. They aren't releasing the "Bomb leftovers" as b-sides, which makes me think they will make it to an album. 10 songs, some experimentation, maybe 6-7M in sales.

Re: Vertigo would have hit #1

beLIEve said:

as they have plans to tour well into 2006 and this is setting up to be a AB/Zooropa repeat, IMO.

But there's a difference between 1992/93 and 2005/2006: in 1992 travelled Europe only in the arenas, the only open-air concert was in Wien; so, it was obvious to play a lot of concerts in the stadiums the year after, following the very great success of AB (and their great inspiration brought Zooropa, I don't think that songs were only b-sides...)
Now, they will play 32 concerts in the biggest european stadiums, and even if there are a lot of people who wants to see U2, I'm not sure that there's a chance to repeat that next year...maybe a small arena's european tour in the spring, maybe...excpet, obviously, the australian leg and, maybe, some date in South America and in Japan; but (IMO), there's no chance to see U2 again in the States and in a massive second european leg.
I also remember that somebody was telling the same thing at the end of 2001, but nothing happened and the band nearli broke up (following the internet reports about Larry against the rest of the band, march 2002 if I remember well...)

Last edited:
A new experimental album?IT'S MY DREAM...But i think they 'll take from the bomb another single at least,Miracle drug in autumn...it's a song true for enter in Bb top 100.... and perhaps a single in 2006...a man and a awoman my favourite...

For you,Believe,U2 'll nominate for Grammys 2006?

Hope that the shows in Chicago shoots HTDAAB back in the Top 50. #57 is a little bit disappointing.

By looking over the overall results i assume, HTDAAB falls to #25 in the mediatraffic charts.

2006 EP or Album

I'm not saying Zooropa was a bunch of b-sides. Too much creative energy went into that, but I bet a few songs were "leftover" from other sessions. What I meant by saying U2 is not giving out any singles with good b-sides right now was just that...the "leftover" material from the HTDAAB has been kept very close to the vest. Maybe Mercy and Smile would be available for an EP or 10 song album, but they still have some strong stuff that hasn't leaked out.

I don't think U2 will tour the U.S. again after the 3rd leg. I do think that after a month long break that U2 will tour Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Eastern Europe, Japan, and Austrailia at a minimum. We're talking late Jan/early Feb 2006 as the starting point. The bomb run will be over, other than the grammy countdown. U2 will release another album at this time or even earlier. It will not be an extension of ATYCLB/HTDAAB. The 2006 leg will be for that album and will likely help HTDAAB and the rest of the back catalog. It may be a 7 song EP, but U2 wants to finish all contract negotiations. This allows for a Best Of the 21st Century in 2010 or a Best Of Live Album. Either way, they are through with obligations and IMO, they are through as a band after 2006. They will go out at the top of their game.

beLIEve me, you heard it here first

Last edited:
Re: 2006 EP or Album

beLIEve said:

Either way, they are through with obligations and IMO, they are through as a band after 2006. They will go out at the top of their game.

beLIEve me, you heard it here first

Let me know: do you mean that after the next album (maybe 2006...) U2 will stop their career?
In effect, if I remember well, in 1993 they signed a six record contract with Island records and HTDAAB was only the fourth (B80/90 and B 90/00 are part of the 98's contract for the three best of records), so, by now, they need to make another two studio records, not one.

Anyway, I agree with you that U2 have to leave when they are at top, and I hope that they won't become (but actually I'm not so sure...), for example, like Rolling Stones, even if the day that U2 will announce thei end will be a very, very bad and sad day in my life, after 21 years (at today) since I knew and I fell in love with them.

Great news about Sometimes rising to # 22 on the ARC. Its nearly surpassed Vertigo which made # 18. This chart shows how popular Sometimes really is unlike the Hot 100 which is completely inaccurate these days. Sometimes peaking at # 97 gives the impression that the song flopped. However from looking at the ARC it is clear that it is performing very well.

The BB Hot 100, really doesnt seem to shaw a true indication of how well sometimes has done.

Hot 100s a disgrace!

04072511 said:
Great news about Sometimes rising to # 22 on the ARC. Its nearly surpassed Vertigo which made # 18. This chart shows how popular Sometimes really is unlike the Hot 100 which is completely inaccurate these days. Sometimes peaking at # 97 gives the impression that the song flopped. However from looking at the ARC it is clear that it is performing very well.

I disagree, I think the HOT 100 is more accurate, especially when you consider the albums chart position. If Sometimes were really about to break into the top 20, the album would not be at #57 this week.

Re: Re: 2006 EP or Album

VALE69 said:
In effect, if I remember well, in 1993 they signed a six record contract with Island records and HTDAAB was only the fourth (B80/90 and B 90/00 are part of the 98's contract for the three best of records), so, by now, they need to make another two studio records, not one.

I have to correct you here, HTDAAB was only the third album under that contract, after Pop and ATYCLB. Zooropa was U2's last album under their old contract. Unless they count the Passengers record in that six album deal (I doubt it), U2 still have to make three more albums. Barring exceptional circumstances of course...

It sure is accepted more...

STING2 said:

I disagree, I think the HOT 100 is more accurate, especially when you consider the albums chart position. If Sometimes were really about to break into the top 20, the album would not be at #57 this week.

The Hot 100 is what everybody looks at, for sure. The ARC has a long history and actually it's very kind to U2. In some cases, songs on the ARC are also very close to BB Hot 100. The counting of downloads has turned the Hot 100 on it's head. I would wonder if the ARC has access to all download information. Finally, IF the ARC is a combination of radio/sales/AND videoplay, then that's the difference in the chart. U2's videos are often in the music channel charts, sometimes even in the top 10 or 5 when the song is a hit on Modern Rock only. For last week, Sometimes was in the Top 20 or 10 on 4 different video charts. For me, that explains the ARC's discrepancy.

It seems that my source is on vacations :drool:
All I know is that the #48 album (Beanie Sigel) sold 19,658 copies and the #59 album (Jennifer Lopez) 16,840. So a number close to 17,000 is probable.

I will get the right numbers later.

Numbers are in:

Soundscan
Issue Date: May 14, 2005

Position/Artist/Album/This Week/Last Week/Total
57 U2 HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOM 17,013 18,856 2,688,272

Back
Top Bottom