mids chart uk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
monai2 said:
Albums

01 Oasis
02 Westlife
03 The Beatles
04 George Michael
05 U2

where is this info from as the SUN newspaper has beatles ahead of everyone

andyuk said:

where is this info from as the SUN newspaper has beatles ahead of everyone

HMV had beatles 1st day sales ahead of everyone too.

here we are the numbers In the albums, Oasis and Westlife are both above 50, Beatles are above 30k, U2 just under 19k, with George M over 16k, other new entries are top 20 for foo fighters and from male voice choir.so for u2 this is not a flop

In Canada The Beatles disk is being advertised massively in the major papers (with full-page ads no less!). It's also being sold at a really low price ($9.99). Compared to this, the U2 disk in being minimally advertised and is for sale at $3.00 to $4.00 more. If that's the strategy elsewhere, then I can easily see The Beatles getting another #1.
Oasis is also being pushed way more than the U2 disk.

I've also seen feature articles about George Martin and Oasis in the last few days, but nothing about U2.

The Beatles...
And people think U2 rehash old material. I hear this is their 18th compilation!

Still, #3 would be a good performance, behind The Beatles & Oasis.

I've only seen one ad for U218 on television and that was during the VH1 special haha, but albums really aren't marketed on televison in the US that much (although compilations are) they pretty much just go on public knowledge from magazines, word of mouth from the radio, and of course having a single on the radio at the moment...Saints should have been pushed more in the US. Although it'll sell well for the holidays, and WITS will help it continue it for awhile in January.

dont forget bomb sold 1,2 milion atyclb has sold 1,1 in uk so a first week with over 100k it s not a flop

bomb sold 200K in the first week in UK and ATYCLB sold 165K in first week but i think we should be comparing it to 80-90 best of and 90-00 best of which i am not sure how many these albums sold in first week of release in UK.

In the UK from memory I believe Best of 80-90 sold 144,000 copies in its first week.
Best of 90-00 sold around 95,000 but i'm not sure thats totally accurate.

any updated figures? and just a couple of points:-

1. does download album sales count in this figure?

2. With there being 2 different versions is that 19K for one version and say another has sold 10K which would mea it would be 29K in total? if you look on itunes, amazon and cd-wow etc they are listed as different albums with different chart placings

id imagine they would count as one version, like with bomb and the version of bomb with the DVD. was just the Best ofs with the B sides that counted seperately.

Westlife liding the way if you believe most reports.:huh:

I was positive oasis would be totally leaving everyone in the dust.

it looks like U2 will only sell 60K in the first week here in UK which is V.poor! but i did expect this with no advertising what so ever! compare it to U2 album this decade on first weeks sales:-

ATYCLB - 165K
90-00 - 95K
HTDAAB - 200k

Havent u seen the shit u2 :18 singles adverts ? they were on at primetime.

This album was enevr gonna sell well but if george michael beats us on his 2nd week...

new mids

Band.... Tues...Weds...Increase
Westlife 51,000 .102,600 +51,600
Oasis... 52,000 . 88,700 +36,700
Beatles. 31,000 . 69,600 +38,600
U2...... 18,000 . 35,700 +17,700

Staggering sales figures! Beatles are catching Oasis slowly, but not Westlife. The usual 3x multiplier (that right?) for Weds Mids would give weekly sales of:

Westlife 307K
Oasis 266K
Beatles 210K
U2 107K

thelaj said:
The Beatles...
And people think U2 rehash old material. I hear this is their 18th compilation!

Not really, these are mashups, not the original tracks. The Beatles have only released the following compilations:

Oldies, But Goldies (Christmas Before Sgt. Pepper, only in UK, single disc)

1962-1966 (A.K.A. "The Red Album") - 2 LP Set

1967-1970 (A.K.A. "The Blue Album") - 2 LP Set

'1'

So, in most of the world, there's been two Best Ofs and a Greatest Hits, just like U2. There were compilations called Love Songs and Rock Songs, but those were only released mainly (and possibly only) for the US market, so therefore aren't official.

Who the hell is buying Westlife!

I wonder why the last two U2 albums have been promoted so little, considering the band's desire to be the Biggest Band in The World(tm)

thelaj said:
Who the hell is buying Westlife!

I wonder why the last two U2 albums have been promoted so little, considering the band's desire to be the Biggest Band in The World(tm)

thinking the same thing really. Artists always seem like they are promoting their albums on Tv with commercials and shit.

Maybe u2 feel they dont need to do that.

Back
Top Bottom