MERGED ----> WITS Chart Success? + How big of a "hit" will WITS be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BEAL

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
WITS Chart Success?

Any thoughts? Of course I think the song could be big, but I (and others) have thought this about other U2 songs that went no where on the charts.

It's very hard to break in to the radio markets these days, unless you're tabbed as the hot new thing.

In the UK it would get to number 1 as long as the christmas number 1 aint much of a hit.

So far, this song is on fire on Adult Top 40, Alternative Radio, and Triple A Radio. In two days, it's been played on 104 radio stations that are tracked at mediabase, which is already more than double the number of stations that played "Saints". This song seems particularly accessible relative to most U2 songs, and I guess I think it may be one of their best "Pop" songs ever.

That being said, I agree that it's very hard to predict what will get played on U.S. radio. With no download or commercial single and b-side in the U.S., it may not do well on the BB Hot 100. As for the other formats, though, I expect it to do quite well, and it could appeal to the non-traditional U2 fanbase, which was probably the goal. Get them to buy U218 Singles, try to hook new and younger generations of fans with your most accessible songs, and new diehards will be developed. They in turn will do what most Interference members have done at some point...discover U2 for the first time and go back and dig into their back catalog. Good business, as usual. I do like the song, too.

how come WITS bein played in US, whens the release date for UK? tho saints is doin well here so no point the rushing WITS

U2 has gotten really lazy in the US. Why isn't Saints available for download on the US Itunes? If they are worried about how recent singles have not fared well, they should know that the best way to tap into the Top 40 audience is through Itunes. Saint is #1 at the UK and #3 in Aus why hasn't it been released for download in the US?

cjboog said:
U2 has gotten really lazy in the US. Why isn't Saints available for download on the US Itunes? If they are worried about how recent singles have not fared well, they should know that the best way to tap into the Top 40 audience is through Itunes. Saint is #1 at the UK and #3 in Aus why hasn't it been released for download in the US?

Its not been released on itunes in the US cos they agreed to sell it or release via rahpsody.

vaz02 said:

Its not been released on itunes in the US cos they agreed to sell it or release via rahpsody.

Which was an incredibly stupid thing to do form a business perspective. Today it's like Itunes is the gateway to success in America, everyone has Itunes and if they released Saints on Itunes, it would be much more successful than it has been in the US up to this point.

It's for charity

cjboog said:

Which was an incredibly stupid thing to do form a business perspective. Today it's like Itunes is the gateway to success in America, everyone has Itunes and if they released Saints on Itunes, it would be much more successful than it has been in the US up to this point.

I can only hope that U2 decided to leave the U.S. to download the Superdome version of the Saints performance ONLY because the charity the song was even covered for in the first place...

The worldwide downloads...are they going to charity, too? I don't know, but the song will surely lead to some people purchasing U218, which should require further charity donations by U2 to Music Rising. I don't see that anywhere as part of the deal, so I doubt it. Maybe most people outside of the U.S. will overlook it, but if they pushed the song here IN the U.S. by making it commercially available, then that could, and should, cause a backlash against U2 for self-promotion through a charity cause. They get accused of that enough already.

So, it's clear that by releasing WITS for radio play in the U.S., the song that will promote U218 here, anyway, will not be Saints. It's already stalled on all the radio formats, while WITS has eclipsed it in terms of radio stations playing it in just 3 days. WITS is catchy enough to do well on even U.S. radio. I don't think it will be available for download here, though, as U2's strategy has been to go for the album sales in the U.S., which is where the real $$$ is, anyway.

Outside the U.S., I think U2 smartly releases every single commercially, and in many countries, that gets them the publicity of having a "Number 1 hit single", which by far outweighs the possible loss of album sales they might experience due to people choosing only the song versus the Album, Limited Edition Album, and DVD.

The only single U2 has really pushed in the U.S. with commercial sales via downloading is Vertigo, at least since 1997. Pop singles were released, and while they got far less airplay, they charted higher in some cases. Even with Vertigo, the downloads were not counted in time, so U2 was really just using the commercials for I-tunes to get a ton of extra exposure for the song, as well as the "Complete U2 I-Pod".

Chart watchers in the U.S. certainly get frustrated by what appears to be a lack of interest from U2 with respect to promotion of their singles. I think it's intentional, though, as while they might sell a lot more downloads and have songs charting on the Billboard Hot 100, it doesn't really do anything for them from a business standpoint, as in sell CD's and DVD's. If anything, with all the diverse, mostly lame, radio and music tastes here, U2 would likely lose CD and DVD sales by releasing their best songs for download in the U.S. They still would not get the buzz of having a "Huge or #1 hit single" here, so the net effect would probably be a money loss. This has not and will not be tolerated by U2 the business corporation, in my opinion.

So I guess I'm saying there is a method to their madness. In the ROW, U2 gets a lot more radio play and that, with downloads, gives them one hit single after another. If WITS was the lead off single of the next studio album, I think they would have pushed it harder and made it available for download, and as a result, ala Vertigo, had a hit single in the U.S. to promote new material. Since it's one of just two "new" songs on another Best Of, I don't see either songs being pushed as CD singles or downlaods here, as most established fans would only want those two songs and would not buy U218 if they could avoid it. I know their are diehards who will purchase everything, and so does U2. It's their casual fans and new generation fans they are going after here, and with both songs getting decent radio and video play, it will sell OK. I know it's easy to get free copies of both songs for a lot of people, but there are enough folks out there who will buy the CD just for those two songs to keep U2 from releasing them for download commercially and pushing them that way.

Sorry for the long, rambling post. I'm a conflicted fan these days. U2 has been making and playing spectacular music for my entire life...they are the soundtrack to my life. I admire their business savvy, too, but these days, it's really hard to tell which is more important to U2...making and playing music which allows them to make a great living, or is it making a great living by making and playing music. It appears to me, anyway, that it's become the latter, which may not bother hardly anyone at all. Like I said, though, it leaves me conflicted in my opinion of them right now.

:shrug: If I were the band, I'd make Saints and Window a double A-sided single and put it out before Christmas.

Re: It's for charity

beLIEve said:

Pop singles were released, and while they got far less airplay, they charted higher in some cases.

This is incorrect. 3 POP singles cracked the Billboard Hot 100 AIRPLAY chart. Only 1 song from HTDAAB was able to do that and it did not chart as high as Discotheque or Staring At the Sun on the Hot 100 AIRPLAY chart.

The irony is that despite U2's massive new success in the United States in this decade, they actually received more radio airplay for the POP album than they did for either ATYCLB or HTDAAB.

How big of a "hit" will WITS be?

This has been briefly touched on in a few other threads, but I thought it deserved its own. How big of a hit do you think WITS will be? Here's a look at the peak performance of other recent U2 singles on both the UK and US charts ...

Sweetest Thing
#63 on Billboard Hot 100
# 3 in UK

Beautiful Day
#21 on Billboard Hot 100
#1 in UK

Vertigo
#31 on Billboard Hot 100
#1 in UK

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
#97 on Billboard Hot 100
#1 in UK

COBL and OOTS pretty much failed to chart.

Here are my predictions for WITS. I say it will reach #57 on the Billboard Hot 100. #2 in UK.

Yeah, the US is tough. I'm putting at 57 since most of us think it's probably better than Sweetest Thing, but probably won't have the mass appeal of Beautiful Day. 57 is in between where those songs charted.

A correction... it was ABOY and OOTS that failed to chart highly (ABOY was #4 in the Uk but it quickly got out of the charts). COBL was not sucessful in the US but it was in Europe. It was #2 in the UK (it was not #1 because of that crazy frog) and it was #1 in Spain and Portugal (it spent 6 weeks there).

WITS is a bit "rock&roll roots" again, and if well promoted it can turn a huge hit, but as a 2nd single (only with comercial releasement in January) I'm seeing it not entering in the Billboard Hot 100, but reaching the UK Top 10 (maybe #8 / #6).

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it will be top 20 in US charts...#1 in UK

The general US public these days dont understand great music so i say #94. In the Uk i'd say #3 , it be #1 but the christmas hits will drag into 2007.

I won't even go into the contradiction that is U.S radio at the moment.:yuck: Sadly, although I'm hopefully wrong, an amazing song like "WITS" won't chart well here because of the pure crap that's being fed to us now. When a song like "Fergalicious" is in the Top 3 songs of the nation you know the music industry here is in serious decline. Except for a select few, most of them could've been written by a 6 year old if they happen to have knowledge of sex, pimps, ho's, and weed.:| I will admit I listen to them sometimes if I feel like being completely mindless for a few minutes, but I would never go to them in even a few months time. While "WITS" may not be the most in-depth or groundbreaking song U2 has done (although it is becoming one of my personal favs.) it is an infinite amount better than anything else right now. THIS is what lyrics are, talking about something that truly matters, this is what a voice is, not something electronically maniupulated up the Wazoo, this is what real music sounds like, yes U2 uses technology a bit, but they rely on their talent a lot more. Everything they do sounds authentic, not like someone magically pressed some buttons on a computer and out came a "song":mad: *ends rant":wink:

Last edited:
U2isthebest ... I hear what you're saying. U.S. radio is a disaster these days. But, I would say there are a few fairly intelligent and well done songs doing well on the current US charts. John Mayer's "Waiting on the World to Change," and the Fray's "How to Save a Life" come to mind. Whether you like those songs or not, they are more well done and more like real music than most of the crud on the radio here.

U2freakboy said:
U2isthebest ... I hear what you're saying. U.S. radio is a disaster these days. But, I would say there are a few fairly intelligent and well done songs doing well on the current US charts. John Mayer's "Waiting on the World to Change," and the Fray's "How to Save a Life" come to mind. Whether you like those songs or not, they are more well done and more like real music than most of the crud on the radio here.

Oh Absolutely!! I'm not a huge fan of John Mayer, but he is extremely talented. I love The Fray! I can see big things for them in the future. They've become one of my favorite bands. Their latest single "How To Save A Life" is my favorite of theirs, but the whole album is brilliant, IMO. I do love Christina Aguilera's new album too. She went a different route than most female singers out there, and the throwback to jazz/swing is great, her vocals are out of this world, and the lyrics are much better than average. If she keeps honing her writing, she could do amazing things!

"Vertigo" would have been a Top 10 hit had Billboard counted legal downloads when it was at its peak. Sadly, they did not. Hence, it's difficult to compare eras or even songs from the same album on Billboard because the rules keep changing. When Billboard finally did count downloads, "Vertigo" saw a 20 place jump on the charts - and this is when the song was already falling well out of the Top 40!

As for the topic of this thread... I don't see WITS having anywhere near the impact of "Vertigo" or "Beautiful Day". I think it'll perform along the lines of "Sweetest Thing" - and that's only if radio actually embraces it (instead of yet another Kelly Clarkson song). Perhaps downloads will improve it a bit to squeak it into the Top 40.

I dont feel like WITS is a big impact song like Vertigo or Beautiful Day but it is hard to predict.... I think U2 is becoming more out there for younger fans who are more likely in the market to buy single CD's

I think it has alot to do will how much it is marketed. Considering the single is not from studio album It could do very well with single sales.

Screwtape2 said:
US fail to chart
Canada #18
UK #7

WITS is not a catchy song. I don't think it will get a very big response in U2 terms. I only have the UK at seven because the song isn't too far from the Robbie Williams-like British pop scene.
How much do you want to bet that it will finish top 3 in both the Canadian and UK singles chart? I wouldn't be surprised if it hit #1 in both Canada and the UK.

US chart? does it ever matter? american music sucks. sorry, but when i look at the billboard top 100 singles and 200 albums in the past four years, i just cry my heart out looking at the ones at the top. simply garbage.

UK chart? #1.

Guys, WITS is U2 trying desperately to get on the radio. It's not for fans, it's for selling their new, and third, greatest hits colection. However, no matter how much U2 try to get on the radio, i don't think they will, considering the performance of the last record's singles. Just listen to the "album" mix of WITS...Listen how polished and artificial it sounds, and compare it to their earlier recordings. Even if U2 think that's what's gonna sell them, it's not, for it is the older 80's stuff that's actually the most popular on the radio.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom