MERGED ----> Australians! Will this thing make No 1 in Oz? + HTDAAB debuts at #1...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BizzaD

The Fly
Australians! Will this thing make No 1 in Oz?

I'm a bit concerned. After seeing the results of vertigo on the aria charts (5 then 16!) I'm not confident the album will make No 1. It has eminem, a new kylie monogue best of and gwen stefani (x2 weeks at No 1 single) to compete against!

Typically, U2 albums do rather well in Australia, even if the singles fall fast. Australia is also the one country where the album might debut lower, but then go up to #1 at a later time.

Given the competition and the less than stellar results of "Vertigo" on the singles chart, I also don't think HTDAAB will debut at #1. However, if past trends are any indication, the album should linger near the top of the charts for some time.

Only "Pop" suffered in Australia and fell from the charts quickly. In contrast the first "Best Of" and ATYCLB lingered near the top for months! Hopefully HTDAAB will perform similarly.

The only competition U2 have here is the Kylie Minogue best of. U2 will debut with at least double platinum, possibly 3 times platinum. Every HMV store had 4 times as many U2 albums than any other artist on Sunday morning. U2's last 6 or 7 albums have debuted at number 1 here. One thing that does worry me is the lack of advertising for it. Ive seen no tv ads at all.

please stop considering sigle's sales as indicative of song's success...look for airplay: as long as a song receives strong airplay the album is gonna sell well.

singles' market is DEAD.

Dima said:
please stop considering sigle's sales as indicative of song's success...look for airplay: as long as a song receives strong airplay the album is gonna sell well.

singles' market is DEAD.

I'm not sure this is true in Australia.

And if it is, what is "Vertigo's" radio success in Australia?

doctorwho said:

Australia is a tiny market: 200k copies of an album is a big success..and if you look at singles chart you'll notice that there's no 2X platinum in the top 50...even smaller.

regarding your question: an australian airplay chart is what i wanna find out :)

The album will ship 2x platinum at least and possibly 3x platinum. Vertigo was released far too late and too close to the album release date. Why buy the single, when you can buy the album. The song has major airplay on at least 2 of the major radio networks. Kylie is the only threat, but I think she will sell consistently tp Christmas, rather than a huge surge.

doctorwho said:

Well, I just about NEVER listen to the radio and I've heard Vertigo. What's more, I live on the Gold Coast, probably the most tasteless sewer in the country. So I think it's getting extremely good airplay.

Re: Australians! Will this thing make No 1 in Oz?

BizzaD said:
I'm a bit concerned. After seeing the results of vertigo on the aria charts (5 then 16!) I'm not confident the album will make No 1. It has eminem, a new kylie monogue best of and gwen stefani (x2 weeks at No 1 single) to compete against!

..GWEN STEFANI!! OH MY GOD!!

Leebonoman96 said:
only 1x platinum. That can't be right.

hmm yes, seems low - not worth touring Oz on those numbers, be better off touring Brazil

JOKE - my sis lives in oz and is desparate to see the boys again !

Mike

I would have thought 2x platinum, but this is what was shipped to the stores. I think this time, they shipped maybe 100k to the record stores and will ship some more shortly. I am confident that the album will be 2x platinum in a couple of weeks. I remember when ATYCLB got released, they shipped 2x platinum straight away, but it took a few weeks to get to 3x status. They are being conservative. I have heard they are definitely coming to Australia and with it being a better album (in my view) and some good potential singles, I am still confident it will outsell ATYCLB. The tour will probably add another platinum certificate (70k)

Australia, however seems to be an exception in that other countires are achieving much stronger 1st week sales than ATYCLB - probably due to BD being such a big hit here.

mikeuk said:
hmm yes, seems low - not worth touring Oz on those numbers, be better off touring Brazil

:lol:
They would tour here if I was the only one that brought the album...i'm sure ATYCLB sold tons of copies here, and we didnt get tour...
i know you were only kidding, but i think they would tour anyway :)

HTDAAB debuts at #1 Down Under!

How about that, U2 belts Emimen off top spot to take the lead in Oz!

BizzaD said:
well it made it straight to No 1 with 1x platinum

PoP did exactly the same thing 7 years ago and it was out of the top 50 in just a few months, and it only went about 1X or 2X platnium.

The BomB deserves better luck.

Back
Top Bottom