Live8 Impact on HTDAAB & Back Catalogue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timothius

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Hey all, I'm new to this little sub-forum, but hope to hang around as I find it very intriguing.

My question is what affect (if any) are you predicting that U2's promiminent performance at Live8 will have on album sales for HTDAAB as well as JT & BO1980-1990, which from my reading tend to pick up extra sales whenever U2 gets prominent.

But I'm not the expert, so I'm wondering will we see a Superbowlesque spike or something similar to the grammy's which was merely a whimper?

mmm...very interesting consideration....

in my opinion only a great performance can help the albums to rise the chart....because there are a lot of performance like coldplay,pink floyd,muse,sir paul macca ecc.very very important.

IMo if u2 will do a big show they will have positive effect in chart!

does anyone think that U2's performace at live 8 was good enough, to sell more copies of HTDAAB, or any of their back catalogue?

Yes, the performance was good enough. The i-tunes-download from Seargent Pepper is no. 1 and i also think that U2 will sell worldwide more copies in the next week. But this is only a small effect, because all the world-stars performed yesterday and so the live 8 effect will reach a lot of musicians.

they should release Seargent Pepper as a single giving the money to charity. although i dislike Paul McCartney and The Beatles.

ybird3k said:
does anyone think that U2's performace at live 8 was good enough, to sell more copies of HTDAAB, or any of their back catalogue?

Yes, IMO their performance was in the top 3 with Razorlight & Velvet Revolver. I think Bomb could now go back into the top 20 in UK next week (it's now # 4 at ASDA supermarkets).

I think supermarkets have about a 45% share of total album chart market & I think ASDA is one of the top 3 (Tesco is the biggest & Bomb was # 8 on Tesco chart last week).

here are some chart positions of HTDAAB in UK shops, i'm not entirely sure if they are last week ro this week though.

Tesco #8
Woolworths #14
HMV #15
MVC #14
WH Smith #12

this would put HTDAAB at, at least #14 in the UK album chart, but for some reason it is only at #25.

I have to say, I'm pretty surprised at this as these are all fairly major music retailers. Then again I s'pose they only make up about a quarter of the total market.

At Virgin megastores Bomb was # 9 or # 7 last week (or this week? I'm not too sure). But I think it's been lagging a bit at amazon (just in top 30 for most of the week).

Also, it's now down to # 19 at Woolworths this week but, of course, we can't tell much from this alone.

...actually I reckon these 5 retailers probably make up about 40% of total album sales & maybe 50% including Virgin megastores.

according to the nme website, best of 90-00, leapt 116% in sales at hmv on sunday, also radio 1 website is running a poll to see who gave best performance of day, U2 currently have only 4% of vote, go to radio 1 website, in features, backstage at live8, and vote for U2

ybird3k said:

the performance was outstanding, it should give a lift to Bomb, J.Tree, and the 2 best ofs, if it doesn't i'll be amazed, but then we are living in a country were crazy frog reached no.1.

i cant believe U2 only have 4%

and pink floyd have 30%
madona 21%
robbie 16%
Mariah Carey 7%
The Who 4%
Coldplay 2%

IMO Pink Floyd and The Who were crap. and Mariah was a disgrace demanding water after singing for 2minutes and demanding a mic stand. id say madonnas performace was over rated too.

i cant see the performance helping HTDAAB or back catalogue with the results from the vote. results make it look like U2 were crap.

I don't think it helped U2 being on so early in the day, but i wouldn't worry too much about that poll, i'm sure U2 will see a rise in album sales, over the next few weeks

According to Musicweek HTDAAB, JT & both Best of's have all seen increases in sales & should all be in top 75 next week. Not sure if Bomb will make top 20 though.

That´s great.
But, what on earth happens with AB? I mean, a lot of people consider it the best U2 album (I would go for JT though) yet its catalogue sales do not seem to be anywhere as strong as JT, not only in Europe but in the US.
At this point, I´m very surprised AB has sold nearly 18 million copies worldwide!!
If the current trend in back catalogue sales continues, I can see the first Best of becoming U2´s second biggest album seller before long.

edge3 said:
According to Musicweek HTDAAB, JT & both Best of's have all seen increases in sales & should all be in top 75 next week. Not sure if Bomb will make top 20 though.

fedeu2 said:
That´s great.
But, what on earth happens with AB? I mean, a lot of people consider it the best U2 album (I would go for JT though) yet its catalogue sales do not seem to be anywhere as strong as JT, not only in Europe but in the US.
At this point, I´m very surprised AB has sold nearly 18 million copies worldwide!!
If the current trend in back catalogue sales continues, I can see the first Best of becoming U2´s second biggest album seller before long.

I'd say AB has sold about 15M worldwide.

...anyway I think the main reason AB isn't currently in top 75 in UK is 'cos most people now prefer to buy BO 90-00. In 2001, before BO 90-00 had been released, AB spent 7 weeks in top 75.

AB has now been in top 200 for the last 4 weeks peaking at # 120. So it is continuing to sell, despite the presence of BO 90-00 which reached # 70 two weeks ago.

Thanks for the info edge3!

However, I think 15 million for AB is too low a number. Consider that in the US alone, the album has easily surpassed the 8 million mark, maybe approaching 9 million copies sold.
Now, this is one of the albums where the proportion between US and rest of the world sales (about one third) does not apply. Still, I believe AB has sold, AT LEAST, the same number of copies in the rest of the world than in the US, hence worldwide sales shouldn´t be less than 17 million.

edge3 said:

I'd say AB has sold about 15M worldwide.

...anyway I think the main reason AB isn't currently in top 75 in UK is 'cos most people now prefer to buy BO 90-00. In 2001, before BO 90-00 had been released, AB spent 7 weeks in top 75.

AB has now been in top 200 for the last 4 weeks peaking at # 120. So it is continuing to sell, despite the presence of BO 90-00 which reached # 70 two weeks ago.

17M for AB is certainly possible & seemingly likely considering it's sold maybe 8.5M in US. It's just that I haven't seen this figure reported that much. I know 17M was reported in that recent all-time best selling album list but there seemd to be a bit of doubt as to how 'official' & accurate this was.

Anyway, I do know the following approx. sales figures for AB :

8.5M in US
1.25M in UK
1M in France
1M in Canada
800K in Germany
350K in Australia
Total = 12,900,000 from these 6 countries.

I would say AB has sold another 2-3M in ROW but whether it's sold another 4-5M I'm not too sure.

Last edited:
Ok, let´s just say that at least 12,500,000 accounts roughly for sales in Europe and USA altogether (this number is based on the 12,900,000 figure you provided, substracting sales from Canada and Australia and estimating sales from the rest of Europe).
Thus, there´s still another 33% (sales from ROW, according to historical statistics) to be consider, that is over 4 million copies. So this data is in line with the 17 million figure we´ve been discussing.
Do you agree?

edge3 said:
17M for AB is certainly possible & seemingly likely considering it's sold maybe 8.5M in US. It's just that I haven't seen this figure reported that much. I know 17M was reported in that recent all-time best selling album list but there seemd to be a bit of doubt as to how 'official' & accurate this was.

8.5M in US
1.25M in UK
1M in France
1M in Canada
800K in Germany
350K in Australia
Total = 12,900,000M from these 6 countries.

I would say AB has sold another 2-3M in ROW but whether it's sold another 4-5M I'm not too sure.

Ok, let´s just say that at least 12,500,000 accounts roughly for sales in Europe and USA altogether (this number is based on the 12,900,000 figure you provided, substracting sales from Canada and Australia and estimating sales from the rest of Europe).
Thus, there´s still another 33% (sales from ROW, according to historical statistics) to be consider, that is over 4 million copies. So this data is in line with the 17 million figure we´ve been discussing.
Do you agree?

edge3 said:

8.5M in US
1.25M in UK
1M in France
1M in Canada
800K in Germany
350K in Australia
Total = 12,900,000M from these 6 countries.

In Italy, the last certification for AB was 550.000 copies at the end of '92.
So I'd say 600.000 copies by now in my country for AB.

fedeu2 said:
Do you agree?

Quite possibly. :wink:

VALE69 said:
In Italy, the last certification for AB was 550.000 copies at the end of '92.
So I'd say 600.000 copies by now in my country for AB.

:hmm: interesting...I actually heard from another source that AB had sold 700,000 in Italy - so shall we say 650,000?

edge3 said:

:hmm: interesting...I actually heard from another source that AB had sold 700,000 in Italy - so shall we say 650,000?

Probably you're right!
I sad 600.000 'cause here in Italy the music trade isn't so strong like in USA or in UK and, in my opinione, sell more than 50.000 copies, over the year of release is not so easy, except for the greatest hits and the best sellers of the greatest italians singers (Vasco Rossi, Zucchero, Celentano).
So, I'm quite sure that 700.000 is too high for AB, while it could be close to 650.000.

Cool, we were talking about the fact that Achtung Baby doesn't appear in the Top 100 Chart of Uk anymore. Now, there could be a little change.

Amazon Charts Uk:

Achtung Baby #92

I would love to see AB back in the Top 100 again.

For some reason, british didn´t like the album as much as americans. If I´m not mistaken, JT has sold nearly twice as much as AB in the UK (2,2 and 1,2 million, respectively), yet in the US the gap is, in relative terms, much smaller (10-11 and 8 million, respectively).

How strange is that?

Zoovation said:
Cool, we were talking about the fact that Achtung Baby doesn't appear in the Top 100 Chart of Uk anymore. Now, there could be a little change.

Amazon Charts Uk:

Achtung Baby #92

With respect to JT doing better than AB on the catalogue chart...don't forget that unlike AB the initial sales were all on vinyl and cassette. Many like myself replaced our LP or cassette with the CD version.

Back
Top Bottom