Largest Recording Contracts Ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
METFIELD said:
metallica is biggest american band ever.this is fact.u2 only played arenas and stadiums only big cities.they are nothing in the whole world.

According to the riaa website, Aerosmith and the Eagles have outsold Metallica.

I was at the Metallica concert in Columbus back in September, and the place was far from being sold out. I was surprised. I think Metallica is dwindling, while U2 is still going strong, selling out arenas, still having hit songs/albums.

The R.E.M. deal will undoubtedly go down as the biggest mistake a record company ever made......the four albums in that deal have sold a little over two million copies in the US....wait a minute, did that deal even include New Adventures in Hi Fi? Because that album accounted for more than half of the sales of the last four studio albums.....and if that wasn't part of the deal.....WOW....

Last edited:
STING2 said:

Go to www.ifpi.org . THE IFPI certifies album sales in Europe. There you will notice that Re-load only sold 1 million copies in Europe. Go to www.riaa.com , the RIAA certifies sales in the United States, there you will see that Re-load sold 3 million copies in the United States. Thats a combined total of 4 million copies sold in 67% of the global market for music. At best, Re-load sold 6 million copies worldwide. I could go on to the next thing and the next thing, but its pointless because your not here to discuss U2, the point of all your threads is about how you think Metallica is the biggest and greatest band in the world. This is not the thread, forum or website for that!

I have not lied about anything. Calling another person a liar or any other name can potentially get you banned from the forum and the website if the moderators decide such a violation of the faq/rules warrents such action.

This is a U2 WEBSITE. This is a forum dedicated to the business side of U2, NOT METALLICA!

Do you know what a "troll" is? A Troll is a person who comes onto one of the forums and persist in only posting material that is out of line with the forum and in some cases offensive to other members(through name calling or insults) and other inappropriate behavior.

elektra reports in 2003 reload debuted number one in 12 countries and top 3 in 30 countries and sold more than 12 million albums worldwide

on classic albums dvd jason newsted says black album sold 1 million every year worldwide

Metallica has sold more than 90 million albums worldwide. The band has been the No. 1 North American concert draw for 10 years, selling more than 12 million tickets

here is the link
http://www.wweek.com/story.php?story=5351

http://www.somekindofmonster.com/ click about metallica than met stats

METFIELD said:
reload outsold atycl worldwide.and it still sold more than atycl every year.this is fact:laugh:

http://launch.yahoo.com/read/news.asp?contentID=212153

probably 11 million out of 12 have been bought by James and Lars...Realod can't have sold that amount of copies: it was a total commercial failure and In Italy for example fell down from the top 50 charts in less than 8 weeks never reaching #1

Metallica are a big band in term of sales...but the only country where they're bigger than U2 is USA (or better were...st anger wasn't a great success even in the US)

Dima said:

probably 11 million out of 12 have been bought by James and Lars...Realod can't have sold that amount of copies: it was a total commercial failure and In Italy for example fell down from the top 50 charts in less than 8 weeks never reaching #1

Metallica are a big band in term of sales...but the only country where they're bigger than U2 is USA (or better were...st anger wasn't a great success even in the US)

u2 is older and released more albums than.that is why they sold more album worldwide

metallica will outsold u2 total sales worldwide.u2 will retire in 2007

dont forget metallica made their fist video clip in 89.what about u2

metallica catalog sales so strong.they sold 3-5 million albums every year without new record

METFIELD said:

u2 is older and released more albums than.that is why they sold more album worldwide

metallica will outsold u2 total sales worldwide.u2 will retire in 2007

dont forget metallica made their fist video clip in 89.what about u2

metallica catalog sales so strong.they sold 3-5 million albums every year without new record

i don't know wher you live..but i can assure you that in Europe Metallica aren't big: they've got just a loyal fanbase (quite big but definitely not huge) and little more (i don't think they could fill up a stadium in europe).
The've beeen huge for a moment with the black album and then returned what they were before: a medium act here in Europe.

Last edited:
Dima said:

i don't know wher you live..but i can assure you that in Europe Metallica aren't big: they've got just a loyal fanbase (quite big but definitely not huge) and little more (i don't think they could fill up a stadium in europe).
The've beeen huge for a moment with the black album and then returned what they were before: a medium act here in Europe.

in 2003 metallica sold out arenas in europe.in 2004 they sold out stadiums in europe and headlined biggest rock festivals

http://www.metallicata.com/live@italy/live@italyfoto.asp?idautore=32

in my country metallica is bigger than michael jackson

in poland they sold out 60,000 seat stadium
may31_8.jpg

METFIELD said:

in 2003 metallica sold out arenas in europe.in 2004 they sold out stadiums in europe and headlined biggest rock festivals

http://www.metallicata.com/live@italy/live@italyfoto.asp?idautore=32

in my country metallica is bigger than michael jackson

in poland they sold out 60,000 seat stadium
may31_8.jpg
ehm..you've linked the wrong page..well actually the "Stadio Euganeo" is a stadium (i know it: it's about 60km from the town i live in and i've beeen there twice to support the local team: glorious Hellas Verona ;) )..but it has a capacity of about 15k...and with the field you can arrive to 20k (and the article in Italian says" 20 thousand fans mad for Metallica")..20k is big but not huge (especially when U2 in 1997 made 150k in Reggio Emila and about 70k in Rome...ore when you consider 80k in 2001 in Turin)

it's a war you can't win...especially in Italy ;)

Last edited:
i wouldnt make the mistake of comparing future sales of metallica with u2's, since st. anger hasnt done much good for metallica when HTDAAB has the potential to be the biggest selling album U2's ever made.

10 years from now, i predict each metallica album will be selling around 1-1.5 million worldwide, metallica will be making their nostalgia tours, while U2 will still be selling at least 6-7 million with their each album.

this also affects the overall sales directly, since the new fans will also purchase items from the back catalog. this effect will work in U2's favor.

also, i think one thing that made metallica the band it is was hammett's guitar solos. metal solos dont sell well in todays world, since all other 80s metal bands, even nu-metal bands like limp bizkit and korn has perished and metallica isnt exactly hot stuff any more, i doubt metallica is going to be remember as the biggest band in the world, say 20 years later. they might end up as the biggest selling metal act, although they unlikely due to AC/DC being a way better band, but not the biggest rock band.

also, lets compare where metallica is compared to U2 in their 8th (right?) album. 8th U2 album was zooropa, a very experimental record by the time's standards, and it still sold a respectable 7 million worldwide. now metallica with all their 'die-hard' fans, sold around 4.5 million, with the record they called 'our best record'.

so, with metal a dead genre around the world, metallica doesnt have such a bright future, unless they give up metal and re-position themselves as an RnB/hiphop act with hetfield doing break-dance, bass player doing the rap parts, hammett doing usher-esque vocals and ulrich making dance beats. now that would be a sight.

i think it is pretty obvious that U2 has had an impact on the world culture metallica could ever dream of having. also, a band that sues their fans is not going to be remembered fondly years from now, if they are to be remembered at all.

o yüzden bence bırak bu nafile ugrasları, kabullen metallica'nın zamanının gectigini, ve HTDAABın keyfini cıkar!

birsey daha, metallicayla ilgili daha konusursan yakında forumdan atılıcaksın galiba. söyliim dedim :)

Dima said:

ehm..you've linked the wrong page..well actually the "Stadio Euganeo" is a stadium (i know it: it's about 60km from the town i live in and i've beeen there twice to support the local team: glorious Hellas Verona ;) )..but it has a capacity of about 15k...and with the field you can arrive to 20k (and the article in Italian says" 20 thousand fans mad for Metallica")..20k is big but not huge (especially when U2 in 1997 made 150k in Reggio Emila and about 70k in Rome...ore when you consider 80k in 2001 in Turin)

it's a war you can't win...especially in Italy ;)

only 3 shows

metallica in italy>
june13_pic4.jpg

june13_pic5.jpg

june13_pic10.jpg

june13_pic12.jpg

june13_pic13.jpg

actually even bon jovi is bigger than metallica worldwide, so i doubt they could compete with U2 :)

all_i_want said:
i wouldnt make the mistake of comparing future sales of metallica with u2's, since st. anger hasnt done much good for metallica when HTDAAB has the potential to be the biggest selling album U2's ever made.

10 years from now, i predict each metallica album will be selling around 1-1.5 million worldwide, metallica will be making their nostalgia tours, while U2 will still be selling at least 6-7 million with their each album.

this also affects the overall sales directly, since the new fans will also purchase items from the back catalog. this effect will work in U2's favor.

also, i think one thing that made metallica the band it is was hammett's guitar solos. metal solos dont sell well in todays world, since all other 80s metal bands, even nu-metal bands like limp bizkit and korn has perished and metallica isnt exactly hot stuff any more, i doubt metallica is going to be remember as the biggest band in the world, say 20 years later. they might end up as the biggest selling metal act, although they unlikely due to AC/DC being a way better band, but not the biggest rock band.

also, lets compare where metallica is compared to U2 in their 8th (right?) album. 8th U2 album was zooropa, a very experimental record by the time's standards, and it still sold a respectable 7 million worldwide. now metallica with all their 'die-hard' fans, sold around 4.5 million, with the record they called 'our best record'.

so, with metal a dead genre around the world, metallica doesnt have such a bright future, unless they give up metal and re-position themselves as an RnB/hiphop act with hetfield doing break-dance, bass player doing the rap parts, hammett doing usher-esque vocals and ulrich making dance beats. now that would be a sight.

i think it is pretty obvious that U2 has had an impact on the world culture metallica could ever dream of having. also, a band that sues their fans is not going to be remembered fondly years from now, if they are to be remembered at all.

o yüzden bence bırak bu nafile ugrasları, kabullen metallica'nın zamanının gectigini, ve HTDAABın keyfini cıkar!

birsey daha, metallicayla ilgili daha konusursan yakında forumdan atılıcaksın galiba. söyliim dedim :)

ilk türk u2 fanı tebrikler.u2 önce türkiyeye gelsin ondan sonra konuşuruz senle.metallica bidaha türkiyeye gelirse biletinde benden

u2 pop şarkılarıyla ancak bu satar be.hadi sizde acemi çoluk çoluk tafyası:no:

boktan ingilizcemle rezil ettim bu hıyarları.u2 ha.metallica için ölüme gidicek insanlar tanıyorum uhuh

ok this is my last post

who sold out arenas in the late 80s without mtv and radio suppourt?yes it is metallica again.they played 188 arena shows in america 88-89

universalın batmasıyla o pek mümkün görünmüyo gerci. anca bu kadar satar dedigin de az bisey olsa, 3. haftada 2.5 milyon olmak üzere satışlar, daha ne olsun.

artık avrupa turnesinde rock am ring'de falan izleriz belki U2yu. ama sonra, adamlar festivallere gelmiyolar. en iyisi hollandada falan görmek.

btw, when do you think metallica is gonna release another album?
also, i think while black album is, admittedly, very good, it is NOWHERE near joshua tree. for gods sake, it has WTSHNN on it! :wink:

personally, i actually like metallica. i play them on my radio show consistently, but really, theyre just a great metal band, not the holy grail. theyre most likely to be remembered as the black sabbath of 80s, and U2 will be remembered as the rolling stones of the same era. do i need to say which one is active and bigger at the moment?

bu arada bi sonraki metallica turnesi için sözün var o zaman :wink: artık avrupada olursan ben de sana U2 bileti ayarlarım bi tane, then you'll see the best live act in the world :) although i think U2 tickets are gonna be tenfold the price of metallica tickets :wink:

Metfield you arent winning any battles here. The fact of the matter is that U2 crushes Metallica in every market around the world in CD sales, this isnt the year of Enter Sandman or King Nothing its the year of Vertigo and it is the year of How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb which by the way has already sold over 5 million copies in less then 1 month which is more then St Anger has sold since its release.

Your claim about the U2 fanbase being richer then the Metallica fanbase is ludicris at best....most U2 fans are in the age range of 20-35 and that is not an age range where I would consider people having lots of money. U2 can charge more for tickets because the demand to see their shows is MUCH higher then a Metallica show ever will be. The only country where Metallica has sold more albums then U2 is in the USA and that wont be lasting much longer.

And as ive told you before Metallica is not even the biggest band in the hard rock genre world wide AC/DC absolutely destroys them in album sales and infact would be a better comparison to U2s popularity world wide.

U2 have sold out many 60 thousand seat stadiums so the pictures you are showing here dont mean a thing...and theyve sold out those stadiums at probably triple the price that Metallica could realistically charge and its not to do with "richness" it has to do with demand for the tickets.

the photos you've linked came from the heineken jamming festival...the biggest summer festival in Italy: a lot of bands play and you can't say who's come for Metallica and the 2003 edition wasn't a big success: 100k gig-goers in three days...40k the first day (when metallica were the headliner of the day..but a lot bought the tickets also for Limp Bizkit that were substituted at last minute from Placebo) 20k the second (for bon Jovi) and 40k the 3rd (for Iron Maiden)...again: big but not huge

All I can say is U2 were inducted to the hall of fame on the first ballot and very few people ever get that honour...enough said....shouldnt be any dispute here really that U2 are the most important band that has come out in the last 25 years....along with being one of the biggest...it is a lot more important to be creative and important to push music on then it is to be popular but U2 have just managed to do both because they are that special.

america is bigger and more important market than europe.in st anger world tour metallica played 200 huge shows.u2 cant play 200-300 shows in one tour because they are only played huge few cities
st anger have thrash can drums-7 minute songs-brutal and raw sound and it still sold 7 million in 1.5 years(5 million in six months)

after 2000

2000 metallicas stadium tour grossed 40 million dollars only 20
shows
2003 metallicas stadium grossed 48 million dollars only 19 shows
in 2004 metallicas arena tour grossed 53 million

these figures only us

u2 toured often because they cant sell tickets like metallica

best selling my ass.

Achtung Baby 17 million
Zooropa 7 million
POP 7 million
Best of 1980-1990 14 million
Best of 1990-2000 10 million
All That You Cant Leave Behind 13 million
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb 5 million in its very early stages

U2 since 1991 by those certified statistics have sold 73 million albums just with the albums that have come out since 1991 that doesnt include the back catalogue.

METFIELD said:
ok this is my last post

who sold out arenas in the late 80s without mtv and radio suppourt?yes it is metallica again.they played 188 arena shows in america 88-89

How about making your last post ever on this forum? :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom