IPOD Sales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL

War Child
Not sure if this has been brought up before, but do online sales of the boxset count towards total sales? I'm hearing 130 million sold for U2. Does the ipod sales go towards this number, and if they do what would the boxset count as? just one unit?

I'm dragging up this old topic for the following that was posted on Yahoo:
Apple sold 4.5 million iPods in the fourth quarter and more than 10 million since their debut in 2001. During the 2004 holiday season, three of the top five consumer electronics sold on Amazon.com were Apple products.

Based on this, 130 million iPods sold (as suggested by the first poster) is wrong. Also, iTunes has just surpassed 200M downloads - so there's no way 130M of those were U2.

In any event, I thought I'd clear this up a bit and add to the discussion. ;)

The IPOD sales do count as far as I know...and if you download just 1 track it counts as a single but if you download an entire album it counts as an album.

i hate to do this again but... hmm i think goofy meant the boxset yahweh :huh:

i have been thinking about the same thing too, does the boxset count an entity on its own, or are all the albums in it counted on their own account?

Yahweh said:
The IPOD sales do count as far as I know...and if you download just 1 track it counts as a single but if you download an entire album it counts as an album.

I think you mean iTunes sales - not iPod.

There is a difference. An iPod is the actual mp3 player.

iTunes, however, can be heard on one's computer, burned to a CD or played on an mp3 player (ideally the iPod).

The iTunes sales do count towards overall sales. As you correctly stated, an entire album download counts as an album sale.

It may be silly nomenclature, but it is important to make sure everyone understands the difference.

all_i_want said:
dr. i think goofball meant 130 million records sold for U2 :huh:

Ah... that makes more sense then. :)

Regardless, I thought the iPod sales info. was nice to have, in case any of us were curious about them. I wish they broke things down (i.e., how many mini-iPods, how many U2-themed iPods, how many picture iPods, etc.).

all_i_want said:
i have been thinking about the same thing too, does the boxset count an entity on its own, or are all the albums in it counted on their own account?

I think it does count as an entity on its own. You are buying The Complete U2 after all, not BoyOctoberWarUnderABloodRed... etc. :) You won't see it on any chart though as it is exclusive to iTunes, should it sell enough to even get noticed. To be included on a chart your album/single has to be available non-exclusively.

C ya!

Marty

all_i_want said:
i hate to do this again but... hmm i think goofy meant the boxset yahweh :huh:

you're right on both counts. If you ever need a job you can be my translator-that would be especially helpful when I've had a few too many

Back
Top Bottom