Info on Rolling Stones Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2mad25

The Fly
From Billboard.com...

Stones Take In $162M With '05 Trek

January 02, 2006, 1:00 AM ET

Ray Waddell, Nashville
The Rolling Stones' A Bigger Bang tour exploded in 2005, moving 1.2 million tickets and ringing up $162 million in grosses from 42 North American shows on the tour's first leg. The first leg wrapped Dec. 3 in Memphis, and the second leg begins Jan. 10 in Montreal.

Stones tour producer Michael Cohl, who typically waits until a tour's conclusion before reporting box office figures, released the numbers this week, too late for inclusion in Billboard's year end Boxscore charts.

Even so, the Stones were second for the year to U2's Vertigo tour, which was the top-grossing trek of 2005, according to figures from Billboard Boxscore published in the Dec. 24 issue of magazine.

Vertigo reported grosses of $260 million and drew more than 3 million people to 90 concerts, all of which were sell-outs. Vertigo will resume in March, having sold another 750,000 tickets to stadium shows in Mexico, South America, Australia and New Zealand.

But the Stones will be playing stadiums in Europe for most of next summer and A Bigger Bang could well end up being the top-grossing tour of all time.

Given the higher ticket prices for a Stone's show, even if they have a fraction of U2's success in European stadiums, they should go on to have the top-grossing tour of all time.

Given the disparity in ticket prices, a part of me wonders if a better measurement is attendance.

Then again, if the Stones are charging top $$ and still having sell-out shows (which they probably will), that also proves how in-demand they are.

I just hope that U2 doesn't follow this path. We all know U2 probably could charge more $$ and still sell-out all shows. But I'm proud of the fact that U2 had tickets under $50 for their last two concerts. I hope they keep this in mind for future tours and not jump into Stones' like prices.

I totally agree with you.
If U2 were driven by greed (as the RS) they would be able to charge the same prices (even more maybe), sold out gigs everywhere and prove without a shadow of a doubt they´re the top live act nowadays.

But then, they would definitely be part of the rock dinosaur category and nothing about U2 will be special.

doctorwho said:
Given the higher ticket prices for a Stone's show, even if they have a fraction of U2's success in European stadiums, they should go on to have the top-grossing tour of all time.

Given the disparity in ticket prices, a part of me wonders if a better measurement is attendance.

Then again, if the Stones are charging top $$ and still having sell-out shows (which they probably will), that also proves how in-demand they are.

I just hope that U2 doesn't follow this path. We all know U2 probably could charge more $$ and still sell-out all shows. But I'm proud of the fact that U2 had tickets under $50 for their last two concerts. I hope they keep this in mind for future tours and not jump into Stones' like prices.

fedeu2 said:
If U2 were driven by greed (as the RS)

Why make that assumption about the Stones and not U2? Are you saying U2 aren't interested in making money (and as much as they can)? Of course they are! That's surely a reason why they decided to extend the tour...

The difference is U2 is still producing great music as opposed the Stones who should have retired about 25 years ago, after "Tattoo you" to be more specific.

u2mad25 said:

Why make that assumption about the Stones and not U2? Are you saying U2 aren't interested in making money (and as much as they can)? Of course they are! That's surely a reason why they decided to extend the tour...

fedeu2 said:
The difference is U2 is still producing great music as opposed the Stones who should have retired about 25 years ago, after "Tattoo you" to be more specific.

Well, I'll agree with you there but that's a totally different topic...:wink:

Ok! For the record, I love RS work from the late 60´s and 70´s.

I know I may sound naive. But for some reason, I cannot picture Bono being a greedy individual and at the same time doing all that humanitarian work.
I mean, he would be the ultimate hypocrite!!

Back to sales discussion. :|

u2mad25 said:

Well, I'll agree with you there but that's a totally different topic...:wink:

u2mad25 said:
From Billboard.com...

Stones Take In $162M With '05 Trek

January 02, 2006, 1:00 AM ET

Ray Waddell, Nashville
The Rolling Stones' A Bigger Bang tour exploded in 2005, moving 1.2 million tickets and ringing up $162 million in grosses from 42 North American shows on the tour's first leg. The first leg wrapped Dec. 3 in Memphis, and the second leg begins Jan. 10 in Montreal.

Stones tour producer Michael Cohl, who typically waits until a tour's conclusion before reporting box office figures, released the numbers this week, too late for inclusion in Billboard's year end Boxscore charts.

Even so, the Stones were second for the year to U2's Vertigo tour, which was the top-grossing trek of 2005, according to figures from Billboard Boxscore published in the Dec. 24 issue of magazine.

Vertigo reported grosses of $260 million and drew more than 3 million people to 90 concerts, all of which were sell-outs. Vertigo will resume in March, having sold another 750,000 tickets to stadium shows in Mexico, South America, Australia and New Zealand.

But the Stones will be playing stadiums in Europe for most of next summer and A Bigger Bang could well end up being the top-grossing tour of all time.

Remember, Billboard's boxscore chart stops in Mid-November cutting off several U2 shows, 20 to be exact. The total results in 2005 for all of U2's 110 shows are:

Vertigo Tour 2005

GROSS: $294,795,607
ATTENDANCE: 3,414,556
SHOWS: 110
SELLOUTS: 110

The Additional shows in 2005 will be added to the above figures and will likely add $100 million dollars plus in GROSS. The VERTIGO TOUR is set to be the first tour to ever cross the $400 million dollar mark when it ends in April 2005. Also realize that U2 could do another tour leg of Europe and North America this summer if they wanted to because the demand is still there for dozens of more shows which would take the GROSS total to as much as $600 million dollars.

But, the current plans show the band will be stopping in April. The Stones will probably eventually top VERTIGO GROSS total, but not before the Vertigo tour sets a new world record.

I took a few minutes today to search for Stones tickets in boston for an upcoming on Ticketmaster. The tickets have been on sale for a while now, maybe a month or more, and it is still possible to buy 8 (max number of tickets) tickets in the 5th row for the section in the lower bowl on the edge of where the elipse would have been. While boston might not be Stones territory, it is extremely surprising to see amazing tickets available after such a long time.

After wondering why nobody has purchased the tickets i noticed that they were $550 dollars each (plus a $25 ticketmaster fee). While the most hardcore fans might pay that, i really hope nobody buys those seats, there is no reason that fans should be ripped off like that.

Back
Top Bottom